If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    counting calories is not always accurate since having a bunch of fatty foods could give the same amount as eating a different amount of "good food".

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    counting calories is not always accurate since having a bunch of fatty foods could give the same amount as eating a different amount of "good food".

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter. If you eat 1500 calories of "fatty foods" or 1500 calories of "good foods" and are in a deficit, you'll lose weight. If you eat 2500 calories of "fatty foods" or 2500 calories of "good foods" and are in a surplus, you'll gain weight. Do a Google search for "Twinkie Diet".
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not always accurate. You could be eating bad food with low calories and not loose weight. It may have to do more with what you are eating. Also, at the beginning of any diet or workout the first 6 weeks you are just burning sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm. After is harder to burn.
    5. Eating fat while not consuming sugar does not make insulin.

you can have some fatty foods on your cheat day:
    Avocado, Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring, etc.

AVOID like the plague!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad.
    Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. So only consume them when you are going to work out.
    Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Check out ddpyoga.com :)

All unnecessary rules that simply complicate the whole process.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Ditto. So much woo that it boggles the mind. I can't find a single thing in that list I agree with, or that is supported by science.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how this diet would work. (?)

It doesn't.

Many books have been written on it, and many more scholarly articles. But what people don't understand they fear and deride. Diets, especially.

Plus there's something in the human mind that convinces people that their diet is the one and only good diet. I think whoever named the tv show "My Diet is Better Than Your Diet" knew that.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Try this thread then!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10316157/what-am-i-doing-wrong#latest
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    those who said "weight loss isn't linear" are right. Maybe fat loss is linear, but somedays you will have more water, or you built some muscle. What I like to do (yes I'm giving advice) is I get out a calendar, I write my weight today and every week for about four or five months I write my estimated weight for that week at my weightloss rate. So I weighed 150 lbs. I'm at 1 lb a week. Next week 149, then the next week 148. On the day I weigh myself and compare it to what it was estimated at.

When I do this, my weight goes up and down. Sometimes above sometimes below what the estimate was. But after four months my weight is fluctuating 132-139 vs. 147-152. Don't let it throw you off when in the beginning the weight isnt' moving fast enough or in the right direction. You have to watch the pattern over time.

Trust the process.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

It doesn't.

Many books have been written on it, and many more scholarly articles. But what people don't understand they fear and deride. Diets, especially.

Plus there's something in the human mind that convinces people that their diet is the one and only good diet. I think whoever named the tv show "My Diet is Better Than Your Diet" knew that.

This diet can only work if your feast days are less than 2x TDEE - 500 on average. Since you don't count there's no way of knowing. And especially if your TDEE is on the lower side, this is so easily overeaten it's not even funny. Doubly especially if you go by the thought of being able to eat as much as you want without restriction.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not always accurate. You could be eating bad food with low calories and not loose weight. It may have to do more with what you are eating. Also, at the beginning of any diet or workout the first 6 weeks you are just burning sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm. After is harder to burn.
    5. Eating fat while not consuming sugar does not make insulin.

you can have some fatty foods on your cheat day:
    Avocado, Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring, etc.

AVOID like the plague!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad.
    Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. So only consume them when you are going to work out.
    Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Check out ddpyoga.com :)

It's stuff like this that keep people on that yo-yo dieting trip. :|
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    another thought, if your goal is to lose 1 lb a week, and you lost 6 lbs in week one, and nothing in week two, instead of giving up, remember you are 4 lbs ahead of schedule. Stick to the plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    What helped for me was to once and for all very clearly, very cleanly, very dispassionately partition PROCESS (my work) from PRODUCT (my body's work). If my program is based on sound principles & I am consistently doing my work, I have to accept that my body will do its work on its own arcane terms. So far this has carried me through several bumps & skids.

55ebaccd614021eac2e1ce4f79bf84e7.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    another thought, if your goal is to lose 1 lb a week, and you lost 6 lbs in week one, and nothing in week two, instead of giving up, remember you are 4 lbs ahead of schedule. Stick to the plan.

And understand that:

1) A large loss within the first couple weeks is fairly common.

2) Weight loss isn't linear.

3) Scale fluctuations are perfectly normal and to be expected. Hydration status, sodium intake, hormonal effects (TOM for women), exercise-induced water retention for muscle repair, etc., etc.

4) It's not an overnight process. It involves sticking with it and sustaining a caloric deficit. If you're not losing weight, tighten up your logging and weigh everything. The only way you're not losing weight over time if you're sticking to your program is that you're not really at a caloric deficit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

This diet can only work if your feast days are less than 2x TDEE - 500 on average. Since you don't count there's no way of knowing. And especially if your TDEE is on the lower side, this is so easily overeaten it's not even funny. Doubly especially if you go by the thought of being able to eat as much as you want without restriction.

I understand how it works. I've read the books and articles. Most people don't negate their deficit, in fact, people tend to eat around 10% over maintenance on 'feast days'. Counterintuitive as that seems. Have you ever tried it or read the studies?

There is a way of knowing-- the scale. The same way we all know if we're overeating.
  • mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All or nothing thinking is a cognitive distortion that can fuel depression, anxiety and anger. I can not recommend it as a viable strategy.

Well, I'm just a mess, aren't I?
  • mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

I was intrigued by this diet after reading the studies. I think it's interesting that she didn't set out to discover a marketable diet plan, she just noticed a particular behavior and then replicated it in human trials.

I would have to eat a little over 3300 cal on my off day to eat back my deficit. I COULD eat that much, but I don't. I've been logging on my feast days and I'm not close to that.

It seems like the mantra on these boards is "CI/CO over time and how you get there is personal preference". But when you explain how you're getting to your deficit...watch out, man! It's going to be the wrong way!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think IF is a fine way to get to a deficit. I suspect people were basing the comments on the fact you said you weren't losing and were frustrated, but if this is something new, those comments may not be applicable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think IF is a fine way to get to a deficit. I suspect people were basing the comments on the fact you said you weren't losing and were frustrated, but if this is something new, those comments may not be applicable.

Agree

I actually don't get the point of discussion any more as clearly everything is fine
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight doing alternate day fasting. 500 calories on my fast day and up to my TDEE on up days. I still counted calories on both days and never had a free for all day.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

pamyup.gif