If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    If you're not using a food scale, your logging is inaccurate. We are known to wildly underestimate portions.

If your weight loss/gain is not what you expect, logging accuracy is definitely one of the first things to check. It is not universally true, though, that if you are not using a food scale your logging is inaccurate. My estimates are usually dead on - and if I have any doubt, I overestimate.

I lost ~27 lbs from October to December 22 - weighing perhaps a half dozen things in that 3 month period on an old spring-loaded scale. I got a digital scale for Christmas and have been weighing most things since then (including setting aside portions according to my estimates). As to estimates, I am nearly always within 1 gram of the correct weight - I have also continued to lose weight at approximately the same rate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeless at guesstimating weights. It's always more than I think, especially with cheese, condiments, well pretty much everything lol
    Also If i don't weigh things like yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter etc I will always put an extra dollop or two on because the portion I "should" be having looks so damn small. Weighing everything keeps me honest and accountable, also my willpower sucks!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not always accurate. You could be eating bad food with low calories and not loose weight. It may have to do more with what you are eating. Also, at the beginning of any diet or workout the first 6 weeks you are just burning sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm. After is harder to burn.
    5. Eating fat while not consuming sugar does not make insulin.

you can have some fatty foods on your cheat day:
    Avocado, Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring, etc.

AVOID like the plague!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad.
    Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. So only consume them when you are going to work out.
    Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Check out ddpyoga.com :)

Too many rules...wayyy too restrictive to continue for any real amount of time, if you ask me. No sugar? Like ever? Not doable for someone like me. I'd much rather weigh and log, stay within my calorie goal and workout...easier to sustain longterm.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    mandy318 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the info. Lots of people here think like I do!

My current weight is 192. Goal: 172 (to begin with, I'd love to lose this by March, for a trip I'm going on)

I'm eating 500 cal on "fast" days and freely on off days. So far, fasting is working well for me. I recently started a new job and found myself eating alot less by default due to a change in my daily schedule. It has actually been easy to incorporate the fasting. I feel like fasting functions as a behavior modification for me...just in 3 weeks I've noticed that I'm not as reactive to the feeling of hunger--which enables me to make a dispassionate food choice.

For me, eating 6x a day means 6x I have to make the right decision about what to eat. Meal planning is not my strong point. If I can not have to rely on it, I'm better off.

I'll stick with this for 3 more weeks and if I don't see a change over time, I'll make a drs appt and push to see if there is some other challenge.

Thank you all!!

You may be overeating on your off days!
  • blambo61
    Options
    To several posters who asked--yes, I'm logging, I'm not using a food scale.

Freely isn't the best choice of words there...I'm logging on the non-fast days too. Just not with a calorie goal. I've been ending up around 1500-1600 on "free" days.

I know I need to stick with it longer. If you re-read my op, you'll see that I have stuck with programs longer, but I feel like I hit a hurdle around the 3 week mark every time. I'm afraid I'm just in that place I've been in before.

I also feel like I need a plan that I can adhere to on autopilot so that I can do it longer.

I don't think I'm really a yo-yo dieter--i haven't dieted enough for that! Last year I worked with a personal trainer for about three months. During that time (not the entire time, I worked up to this), I was restricting calories to 1100, lifting weights 2x per week, and doing 30min of cardio 3x per week. I consistently lost 1lb per week, sometimes more. But I can't keep that up! Ir at least I can't keep it up without a lot of disruption to accommodate my family's needs. (I work full time and I have 5 kids, ranging from 4-17).

Anyway--there is more backstory.

Thank you all for your input!!

The first week of a weight loss program you usually are losing water. I can relate to family obligations and other obligations. I think you owe it to yourself though to make yourself a priority. I don't think 30-min of cardio 2xweek is too self-indulgent. I would encourage you to try to find that time for yourself, especially since it seems to work for you. Workout with your kids if you can!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to several kilos. I usually have a 'range' and the 'range' drops over time. So maybe for a few weeks I fluctuate between 79 and 83... then 76 and 81.. etc. etc. I don't get disheartened when the scales go up, I just keep trusting that overtime my weight will drop. Some weeks I will lose nothing for a while, then the scales will go down. I also know that in the last month I seem to have barely lost anything, yet I have had a number of people note that I look like I've lost more weight. My point is, scales and weight are useful but aren't the be all and end all of monitoring progression.
  • blambo61
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the info. Lots of people here think like I do!

My current weight is 192. Goal: 172 (to begin with, I'd love to lose this by March, for a trip I'm going on)

I'm eating 500 cal on "fast" days and freely on off days. So far, fasting is working well for me. I recently started a new job and found myself eating alot less by default due to a change in my daily schedule. It has actually been easy to incorporate the fasting. I feel like fasting functions as a behavior modification for me...just in 3 weeks I've noticed that I'm not as reactive to the feeling of hunger--which enables me to make a dispassionate food choice.

For me, eating 6x a day means 6x I have to make the right decision about what to eat. Meal planning is not my strong point. If I can not have to rely on it, I'm better off.

I'll stick with this for 3 more weeks and if I don't see a change over time, I'll make a drs appt and push to see if there is some other challenge.

Thank you all!!

You may be overeating on your off days!

Sorry, saw later post where it looks like you are not overeating on days off.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how this diet would work. (?)

It doesn't.

Many books have been written on it, and many more scholarly articles. But what people don't understand they fear and deride. Diets, especially.

Plus there's something in the human mind that convinces people that their diet is the one and only good diet. I think whoever named the tv show "My Diet is Better Than Your Diet" knew that.

This diet can only work if your feast days are less than 2x TDEE - 500 on average. Since you don't count there's no way of knowing. And especially if your TDEE is on the lower side, this is so easily overeaten it's not even funny. Doubly especially if you go by the thought of being able to eat as much as you want without restriction.

I understand how it works. I've read the books and articles. Most people don't negate their deficit, in fact, people tend to eat around 10% over maintenance on 'feast days'. Counterintuitive as that seems. Have you ever tried it or read the studies?

There is a way of knowing-- the scale. The same way we all know if we're overeating.

But that is exactly what the OP is saying...that the scale isn't moving, therefore she is probably overeating.
  • blambo61
    Options
    ^ +1
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

This is exactly what I'm following.

Me, too. I don't log non-fast days. I think this diet is good for those of us who tend to be 'all or nothing' thinkers. We can diet hard for a day then not at all for a day. Whereas if we try to log all our food on all the days, and restrict on all the days, we can drive ourselves crazy. And then we flip back to the 'nothing' pattern (no logging, no dieting, no moderating).

May as well know your weaknesses and use them to your benefit. :)

Exactly why it appeals to me!

Here is a diet for your consideration. It is super easy will very little food planning, you don't have to log calories which saves time, you will save money, you get to eat tell your full every day, and you don't feel hungry all the time. The concept is, which you probably are already familiar with, is to eat ad libitum but for a short enough window that you are still at a calorie deficit. I do this with a 21:3 or so fasting diet. I just drink water during the day. I don't have to fix breakfast, lunch, or other snacks (saves money). I workout at the end of the fast (have only bonked a couple of times when doing excessive workouts of about 2-hrs duration or when I didn't eat enough carbs the night before). After working out, I go home and eat what I want tell I go to bed. I take vitamin and protein supps (whey) to try to make sure I'm getting proper nutrition. I usually make a fruit-yoghurt smoothie also with a lot of different types of frozen fruit. I will top it all off with anything I want including cake, cookies, ice-cream etc. I do one cheat day a week on Saturdays. This has worked well for me and I'm down 33lbs since early Sept including stalling out and gaining a couple of lbs during the holidays because I indulged a bit. My stomach shrinks from the fasting and it is almost impossible for me to overeat this way. I don't get very hungry usually during the fasting period if I drink water. Eating small meas and getting my stomach going causes me to be VERY hungry! After I get to goal weight, I plan on opening up the window to get more calories because I will not be able to eat enough in a 3-hr window for my needs.

If I fasted every other day or something like that, I'm sure I would overeat. I think depending on a person's eating habits, this can work for most people and each individual can just adjust how much of a eating time window works for them.

In the end, do what works for you!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not always accurate. You could be eating bad food with low calories and not loose weight. It may have to do more with what you are eating. Also, at the beginning of any diet or workout the first 6 weeks you are just burning sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm. After is harder to burn.
    5. Eating fat while not consuming sugar does not make insulin.

you can have some fatty foods on your cheat day:
    Avocado, Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring, etc.

AVOID like the plague!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad.
    Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. So only consume them when you are going to work out.
    Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Check out ddpyoga.com :)

Oh my.... I lost over 100 pounds doing all the things you told me not to do. My bad.
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Advice

Stop chopping and changing diets. Just stick to calories in vs calories out no matter what way of eating you're doing..so if iF or low carb works for you do it, if not just the overview of CICO works without any of that

Promise yourself you will do a rolling 6-8 weeks monitoring, so you average your loss over that time frame to get weekly loss rate

Use a trend tracker to help ...I like trendweight.com, there's also apps like happy scale or libra

MIND BLOWN. trend weight is AMAZING thanks so much!!!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I can see some merit to alternate day fasting, especially if people pay some attention to eating the right foods on the feast day. I think many if not most people have at some point gone a day with little or no food, usually due to being ill or something. But after such a day, you don't just bounce back and eat huge amounts the next day either. I know for me, regardless of how long it's been since I've eaten, if I eat over a set amount I start feeling bloated and it's just not worth it. I have workout days where I have to look for calorie dense foods to even get close to the calories I'm trying to consume.

But if a person is losing a few pounds initially and then leveling out for months... too many calories. If the deficit is there, movement happens on the scale.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

It doesn't.

Many books have been written on it, and many more scholarly articles. But what people don't understand they fear and deride. Diets, especially.

Plus there's something in the human mind that convinces people that their diet is the one and only good diet. I think whoever named the tv show "My Diet is Better Than Your Diet" knew that.

I was intrigued by this diet after reading the studies. I think it's interesting that she didn't set out to discover a marketable diet plan, she just noticed a particular behavior and then replicated it in human trials.

I would have to eat a little over 3300 cal on my off day to eat back my deficit. I COULD eat that much, but I don't. I've been logging on my feast days and I'm not close to that.

It seems like the mantra on these boards is "CI/CO over time and how you get there is personal preference". But when you explain how you're getting to your deficit...watch out, man! It's going to be the wrong way!

You started a thread about how so far your dieting approaches fail. You were given several tips by several posters on what to do. You are defending your non-working approach with a passion. What ws the purpose of this thread? To tell you that you are cursed and will never see results? To tell you that you are some aline lifeform and the basic principles of CICO do nto apply to you? To get recommendation for a magical pill/drink/herb that will help? Honestly, why start a thread complaining you cannot reach your goal and then refuse to listen to people who have managed to do what you cannot?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

I was intrigued by this diet after reading the studies. I think it's interesting that she didn't set out to discover a marketable diet plan, she just noticed a particular behavior and then replicated it in human trials.

I would have to eat a little over 3300 cal on my off day to eat back my deficit. I COULD eat that much, but I don't. I've been logging on my feast days and I'm not close to that.

It seems like the mantra on these boards is "CI/CO over time and how you get there is personal preference". But when you explain how you're getting to your deficit...watch out, man! It's going to be the wrong way!

You started a thread about how so far your dieting approaches fail. You were given several tips by several posters on what to do. You are defending your non-working approach with a passion. What ws the purpose of this thread? To tell you that you are cursed and will never see results? To tell you that you are some aline lifeform and the basic principles of CICO do nto apply to you? To get recommendation for a magical pill/drink/herb that will help? Honestly, why start a thread complaining you cannot reach your goal and then refuse to listen to people who have managed to do what you cannot?

I think that's pretty much where we're at, yup.

Instead of hearing 'sustainable deficit, sustainable diet, accurate calorie control', OP hears: Y'all hate IF'ers.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

Instead of hearing 'sustainable deficit, sustainable diet, accurate calorie control', OP hears: Y'all hate IF'ers.

Exactly. What do you mean "explain how you're getting to your deficit", OP? You're not there, not consistently, anyway. You keep white knuckling it with all these strange approaches and then quit six weeks in. You came here for help and are getting feedback on the fact that you're basically doing it all over again.

Spend the 20 bucks. Get a food scale. Log your food with no more than 1 lb deficit per week to start. Rinse, repeat. Discipline, consistency, trust the process
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just wondered if Cortisol levels may have a direct or indirect impact on the "fat-burning programs" leading to a slowing down of certain chemical reactions. I am no expert but I imagine that the entire metabolic process can be reduced to chemical reactions influenced by the hormonal influences which are designed to turn on and off certain sequences and patterns. So....it would seem to me that our robust physiology might be altered as stress hormones are produced at some degree of threshold level. I am sadly inept when organic chemistry degrees were being handed out but I think I remained alert long enough to consider the logic in seeing the body as a complex machine which relies on chemical reactions that require analysis and controlled experimentation in order to understand the impact(s) of minerals, vitamins, and the many hormones that drive the processes of organ functionality. Weight gain and loss must be a by-product of the interplay between hormones and chemical processes associated with fat production and fat deconstruction. I hope I have not offended the true scientists and experts in the group. I look forward to learning what others think.
    Shel
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

This diet can only work if your feast days are less than 2x TDEE - 500 on average. Since you don't count there's no way of knowing. And especially if your TDEE is on the lower side, this is so easily overeaten it's not even funny. Doubly especially if you go by the thought of being able to eat as much as you want without restriction.

I understand how it works. I've read the books and articles. Most people don't negate their deficit, in fact, people tend to eat around 10% over maintenance on 'feast days'. Counterintuitive as that seems. Have you ever tried it or read the studies?

There is a way of knowing-- the scale. The same way we all know if we're overeating.

The scale is useless for immediate knowledge. If you're fine with only knowing a month later with any amount of certainty if you've been eating too much consistently over that month, be my guest.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    ...why such variation in resulting weight loss?

I am a very routine person and a logical thinker. I have needed to lose about 50lbs for about 4 years. I'm 37 & female, btw.

When I choose a diet plan, I seem to be able to shed 6-8 lbs...then nothing. I understand the things I may do to sabotage my diet...like not tracking accurately or "cheating". But what about when I do the same things, week after week, and one week I lose 2 lbs, then the next none.

It's so disheartening and it's usually the reason I fall off most diets after about 3 months.

I find it so hard to lose over 6-8 lbs, that I wonder if maybe something else is going on--insulin resistance or pcos?

I'd love some input and advice.

About three weeks ago I started alternate day fasting. I lost 6lbs in two weeks....now nothing. But this has happened with every diet I've tried.

Hmmm--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month--->start a new diet and be prepapred for change--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month---->start a new diet and be prepared for change...OP...noticing a trend? If this trend describes you as you mentioned in the last 4 pages...when are you gaining the same 6 to 8 pounds back? 4+ years and over 50+ pounds to lose and you still want to try another diet? Have you considered: (1) a food scale (2) change your terminology with respect to foods (3) get real about your 'all or nothing' mentality (4) Assess what factors consistently hinder your ability to lose weight (5) Change what you can, drop the excuses, drop the weight. Good luck.

• mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

Exactly. What do you mean "explain how you're getting to your deficit", OP? You're not there, not consistently, anyway. You keep white knuckling it with all these strange approaches and then quit six weeks in. You came here for help and are getting feedback on the fact that you're basically doing it all over again.

Spend the 20 bucks. Get a food scale. Log your food with no more than 1 lb deficit per week to start. Rinse, repeat. Discipline, consistency, trust the process

What white knuckling with strange approaches exactly am I doing?
  • mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

If you go back and read my OP, you'll see what I actually asked is why, when I am consistent in my diet and maintaining a calorie deficit, is there so much fluctuation in the results.

Some of the helpful responses were: watch your sodium intake, be aware of menstrual cycles, be patient and trust the process over a longer amount of time.

I really didn't ask for advice on HOW to get to a calorie deficit. I'm in one, unless I'm wildly wrong in logging and I don't think I am--which is what motivated me to post to begin with.