If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    mandy318 wrote: »
    ...why such variation in resulting weight loss?

I am a very routine person and a logical thinker. I have needed to lose about 50lbs for about 4 years. I'm 37 & female, btw.

When I choose a diet plan, I seem to be able to shed 6-8 lbs...then nothing. I understand the things I may do to sabotage my diet...like not tracking accurately or "cheating". But what about when I do the same things, week after week, and one week I lose 2 lbs, then the next none.

It's so disheartening and it's usually the reason I fall off most diets after about 3 months.

I find it so hard to lose over 6-8 lbs, that I wonder if maybe something else is going on--insulin resistance or pcos?

I'd love some input and advice.

About three weeks ago I started alternate day fasting. I lost 6lbs in two weeks....now nothing. But this has happened with every diet I've tried.

Hmmm--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month--->start a new diet and be prepapred for change--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month---->start a new diet and be prepared for change...OP...noticing a trend? If this trend describes you as you mentioned in the last 4 pages...when are you gaining the same 6 to 8 pounds back? 4+ years and over 50+ pounds to lose and you still want to try another diet? Have you considered: (1) a food scale (2) change your terminology with respect to foods (3) get real about your 'all or nothing' mentality (4) Assess what factors consistently hinder your ability to lose weight (5) Change what you can, drop the excuses, drop the weight. Good luck.

This doesn't represent how i have approached weight loss at all. I'm not sure how you came up with that pattern based on my posts?
  • mandy318
    Options
    It seems most of us think highly of 'our way' but in fact there are many ways that work well for at least a few. :)

Spot on!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cool
    Keep going

Check back in in another 3 weeks ..that should give you a decent 6 week tranch to evaluate whether you are actually in defecit
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how this diet would work. (?)

It doesn't.

Many books have been written on it, and many more scholarly articles. But what people don't understand they fear and deride. Diets, especially.

Plus there's something in the human mind that convinces people that their diet is the one and only good diet. I think whoever named the tv show "My Diet is Better Than Your Diet" knew that.

I was intrigued by this diet after reading the studies. I think it's interesting that she didn't set out to discover a marketable diet plan, she just noticed a particular behavior and then replicated it in human trials.

I would have to eat a little over 3300 cal on my off day to eat back my deficit. I COULD eat that much, but I don't. I've been logging on my feast days and I'm not close to that.

It seems like the mantra on these boards is "CI/CO over time and how you get there is personal preference". But when you explain how you're getting to your deficit...watch out, man! It's going to be the wrong way!

You started a thread about how so far your dieting approaches fail. You were given several tips by several posters on what to do. You are defending your non-working approach with a passion. What ws the purpose of this thread? To tell you that you are cursed and will never see results? To tell you that you are some aline lifeform and the basic principles of CICO do nto apply to you? To get recommendation for a magical pill/drink/herb that will help? Honestly, why start a thread complaining you cannot reach your goal and then refuse to listen to people who have managed to do what you cannot?

I think that's pretty much where we're at, yup.

Instead of hearing 'sustainable deficit, sustainable diet, accurate calorie control', OP hears: Y'all hate IF'ers.

If you go back and read my OP, you'll see what I actually asked is why, when I am consistent in my diet and maintaining a calorie deficit, is there so much fluctuation in the results.

Some of the helpful responses were: watch your sodium intake, be aware of menstrual cycles, be patient and trust the process over a longer amount of time.

I really didn't ask for advice on HOW to get to a calorie deficit. I'm in one, unless I'm wildly wrong in logging and I don't think I am--which is what motivated me to post to begin with.

The fact that you stop losing means you are not, in fact, achieving a calorie deficit. That's what people are trying to tell you. I missed whether you are weighing your food. If you're not, then yes, you are wildly wrong in logging. Know how I know this? Because you're not losing.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    CICO does work great, but for my body, I could eat way less calories than I burn but if my carbs are high the scale doesn't move.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    CICO does work great, but for my body, I could eat way less calories than I burn but if my carbs are high the scale doesn't move.

That's not true. Regardless of your carb level, if you are eating fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It'll be playing with glycogen and water in the short term probably
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    ...why such variation in resulting weight loss?

I am a very routine person and a logical thinker. I have needed to lose about 50lbs for about 4 years. I'm 37 & female, btw.

When I choose a diet plan, I seem to be able to shed 6-8 lbs...then nothing. I understand the things I may do to sabotage my diet...like not tracking accurately or "cheating". But what about when I do the same things, week after week, and one week I lose 2 lbs, then the next none.

It's so disheartening and it's usually the reason I fall off most diets after about 3 months.

I find it so hard to lose over 6-8 lbs, that I wonder if maybe something else is going on--insulin resistance or pcos?

I'd love some input and advice.

About three weeks ago I started alternate day fasting. I lost 6lbs in two weeks....now nothing. But this has happened with every diet I've tried.

Hmmm--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month--->start a new diet and be prepapred for change--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month---->start a new diet and be prepared for change...OP...noticing a trend? If this trend describes you as you mentioned in the last 4 pages...when are you gaining the same 6 to 8 pounds back? 4+ years and over 50+ pounds to lose and you still want to try another diet? Have you considered: (1) a food scale (2) change your terminology with respect to foods (3) get real about your 'all or nothing' mentality (4) Assess what factors consistently hinder your ability to lose weight (5) Change what you can, drop the excuses, drop the weight. Good luck.

This doesn't represent how i have approached weight loss at all. I'm not sure how you came up with that pattern based on my posts?
    I read the entire thread and based on your lack of willingness to adhere to a deficit, eat and regain weight on other diets and how IF is part of larger strategy used by many who weigh their food(you don't), understand fluctuations due to many factors(you don't) and your time on MFP of 4+ years. Did I miss something?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you go back and read my OP, you'll see what I actually asked is why, when I am consistent in my diet and maintaining a calorie deficit, is there so much fluctuation in the results.

Some of the helpful responses were: watch your sodium intake, be aware of menstrual cycles, be patient and trust the process over a longer amount of time.

I really didn't ask for advice on HOW to get to a calorie deficit. I'm in one, unless I'm wildly wrong in logging and I don't think I am--which is what motivated me to post to begin with.

acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

• _Terrapin_
    Options

acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

These are accurate 11 reasons...the end of the list gives the absolute answer. This could be some earth shattering stuff for some.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    mandy- I think someone mentioned this but if you have nice losses in the initial weeks, it often levels off (even to nothing) for a little while after. Then you lose more eventually, if you stick to it. And if you're adding new exercise at the same time, that just exacerbates it.

And if you're prone to adaptive thermogenesis, your body is better at adapting to the lower calorie level quickly. So the plan you're on is probably a good plan for you because it varies your intake levels, if you can get past the slow/no loss weeks. It's frustrating.

I also recommend using Trendweight. I found I was losing fine but couldn't tell because I was letting the little day-to-day fluctuations mislead me and discourage me. It's hard to see the big picture if you're focused on just a few details.

Good luck!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much your consuming if you don't track and/or measure it and just estimate the calories you're taking in?
  • mandy318
    Options
    mandy- I think someone mentioned this but if you have nice losses in the initial weeks, it often levels off (even to nothing) for a little while after. Then you lose more eventually, if you stick to it. And if you're adding new exercise at the same time, that just exacerbates it.

And if you're prone to adaptive thermogenesis, your body is better at adapting to the lower calorie level quickly. So the plan you're on is probably a good plan for you because it varies your intake levels, if you can get past the slow/no loss weeks. It's frustrating.

I also recommend using Trendweight. I found I was losing fine but couldn't tell because I was letting the little day-to-day fluctuations mislead me and discourage me. It's hard to see the big picture if you're focused on just a few details.

Good luck!

I'll start using this for sure Thanks!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how, if you don't count calories, you know that you're only taking in 500 on your fast days, and how you know you aren't wiping out your deficit on the non fast days?

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

I don't understand how, if you don't count calories, you know that you're only taking in 500 on your fast days, and how you know you aren't wiping out your deficit on the non fast days?

Plus, and I know this is beside the point, what would a 500 calorie day look like? How could it include any exercise? It sounds like punishment.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

Plus, and I know this is beside the point, what would a 500 calorie day look like? How could it include any exercise? It sounds like punishment.

I agree completely.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

She does count calories. Or do you mean how do people in general lose on that diet? They count on their 500 calorie days (which is pretty simple, given the food quantity), and eat to satisfaction on the other days.

If you have genuine curiosity, there are books and web sites with information. But if you're here to ridicule and balk and pre-judge, this is the place! ; )
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

She does count calories. Or do you mean how do people in general lose on that diet? They count on their 500 calorie days (which is pretty simple, given the food quantity), and eat to satisfaction on the other days.

If you have genuine curiosity, there are books and web sites with information. But if you're here to ridicule and balk and pre-judge, this is the place! ; )

The description of the diet says "no counting calories". I'm trying to understand how you can ensure that you're doing it properly, without counting calories.

I'm not ridiculing, I'm trying to understand how this works because the explanation seems to go against what the primary appeal of this is for people.

I have nothing against IF, it works for a lot of people. The OP originally came in complaining that her method wasn't working, so people gave her alternatives, now suddenly she's defending this vehemently. I'm just trying to point out that maybe the implementation of the approach is not successful if you aren't counting, weighing, logging accurately, etc. perhaps if OP tightened that up, even still following the ADF approach, and stuck with it for longer, then she would have longer term success.

But thanks for the insults!
  • _Terrapin_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nvm...started a response but honestly Walking Along is going to back the OP and we can just argue. Not worth the time or effort.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    WalkingAlong is the only one giving mandy318 the answers she wants to read so it is pretty futile for anyone else to post helpful information like facts and science.