If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    mandy318 wrote: »
    I'm not even against IF, just woo and special snowflakeism about doing everything right and not losing weight.

Now how is it that I am supposed to lose weight if not through special attention, hand-holding, customized plans suited to MY unique biological needs, and lots and lots of gushing encouragement??? o:)o:)o:)

Funny!

There are many things that effect weight loss. Energy isnt created or destroyed and so all energy into the body is converted to potential energy (fat), given off as heat, or discarded from the body. Since some of it can be discarded or turned to heat, cico
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    ...why such variation in resulting weight loss?

I am a very routine person and a logical thinker. I have needed to lose about 50lbs for about 4 years. I'm 37 & female, btw.

When I choose a diet plan, I seem to be able to shed 6-8 lbs...then nothing. I understand the things I may do to sabotage my diet...like not tracking accurately or "cheating". But what about when I do the same things, week after week, and one week I lose 2 lbs, then the next none.

It's so disheartening and it's usually the reason I fall off most diets after about 3 months.

I find it so hard to lose over 6-8 lbs, that I wonder if maybe something else is going on--insulin resistance or pcos?

I'd love some input and advice.

About three weeks ago I started alternate day fasting. I lost 6lbs in two weeks....now nothing. But this has happened with every diet I've tried.

Hmmm--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month--->start a new diet and be prepapred for change--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month---->start a new diet and be prepared for change...OP...noticing a trend? If this trend describes you as you mentioned in the last 4 pages...when are you gaining the same 6 to 8 pounds back? 4+ years and over 50+ pounds to lose and you still want to try another diet? Have you considered: (1) a food scale (2) change your terminology with respect to foods (3) get real about your 'all or nothing' mentality (4) Assess what factors consistently hinder your ability to lose weight (5) Change what you can, drop the excuses, drop the weight. Good luck.

This doesn't represent how i have approached weight loss at all. I'm7777777 not sure how you came up with that pattern based on my posts?
    ...why such variation in resulting weight loss?

I am a very routine person and a logical thinker. I have needed to lose about 50lbs for about 4 years. I'm 37 & female, btw.

When I choose a diet plan, I seem to be able to shed 6-8 lbs...then nothing. I understand the things I may do to sabotage my diet...like not tracking accurately or "cheating". But what about when I do the same things, week after week, and one week I lose 2 lbs, then the next none.

It's so disheartening and it's usually the reason I fall off most diets after about 3 months.

I find it so hard to lose over 6-8 lbs, that I wonder if maybe something else is going on--insulin resistance or pcos?

I'd love some input and advice.

About three weeks ago I started alternate day fasting. I lost 6lbs in two weeks....now nothing. But this has happened with every diet I've tried.

Hmmm--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month--->start a new diet and be prepapred for change--->lose 6 to 8 pounds then nothing--->frustrated---->wait a month---->start a new diet and be prepared for change...OP...noticing a trend? If this trend describes you as you mentioned in the last 4 pages...when are you gaining the same 6 to 8 pounds back? 4+ years and over 50+ pounds to lose and you still want to try another diet? Have you considered: (1) a food scale (2) change your terminology with respect to foods (3) get real about your 'all or nothing' mentality (4) Assess what factors consistently hinder your ability to lose weight (5) Change what you can, drop the excuses, drop the weight. Good luck.

This doesn't represent how i have approached weight loss at all. I'm not sure how you came up with that pattern based on my posts?

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of people claiming they are doing it right and really aren't even weighing their food. No food scale =/= I am doing it right and know my calories are accurate.

Using a food scale is helpful for many people, and essential for anyone who does not understand how to measure food accurately and/or is lousy at estimating.

But I am not a fan of people insisting that doing it right requires a food scale. I have just lost 31 lbs. The first 27 were lost over a period of about 3 months with fewer than 6 items actually weighed. I have now switched to using a scale (obtained because it makes life simpler when I want to prepare a dish that will be eaten by many people and/or over a number of days). My rate of loss has not changed (around .3 lbs/day), and my measurements and/or estimates are spot on. I've checked them against the actual weights. As a specific example, my estimates of a variety of nut servings (28 - 31 grams) is off by no more than .5 grams. For the smallest serving of nuts (where being .5 gram off is the largest error), that is less than a 2% error. So no, doing it right does not require a scale, and I do know my calories are accurate.

That said, in the past, I have lost at about the same rate without even counting calories - but that is a very different discussion.

Who would look at someone successfully losing weight and tell them to get a food scale? The advice is usually given (repeatedly) to someone asking for help losing weight because whatever they've been doing has not worked over any appreciable period. PS: Two weeks is NOT

I'm not disagreeing that it is often useful advice to suggest when someone complains about being stalled, or that two weeks is too short a time to tell, or even that it might specifically be useful advice for this person.

I have just increasingly seen blanket statements that no one can accurately determine their calorie intake/lose weight without a food scale. As a blanket statement, it isn't true. The universal/absolute nature, and frequency, of such statements is what I am challenging.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of people claiming they are doing it right and really aren't even weighing their food. No food scale =/= I am doing it right and know my calories are accurate.

Using a food scale is helpful for many people, and essential for anyone who does not understand how to measure food accurately and/or is lousy at estimating.

But I am not a fan of people insisting that doing it right requires a food scale. I have just lost 31 lbs. The first 27 were lost over a period of about 3 months with fewer than 6 items actually weighed. I have now switched to using a scale (obtained because it makes life simpler when I want to prepare a dish that will be eaten by many people and/or over a number of days). My rate of loss has not changed (around .3 lbs/day), and my measurements and/or estimates are spot on. I've checked them against the actual weights. As a specific example, my estimates of a variety of nut servings (28 - 31 grams) is off by no more than .5 grams. For the smallest serving of nuts (where being .5 gram off is the largest error), that is less than a 2% error. So no, doing it right does not require a scale, and I do know my calories are accurate.

That said, in the past, I have lost at about the same rate without even counting calories - but that is a very different discussion.

I never based my opinion on a must with a food scale. Typically when people say they are trying something AND have failed at other attempts a scale seems obvious. It works for many and is more efficient in terms of tracking. If I consumed 6-7 items a day I probably wouldn't need to weigh them but a diverse diet which is devoid of little in terms of food items I weigh things when I'm trying to lose weight. A slight deficit of 10% seemed to be very successful for me 2 when I lost most of my weight. I wouldn't want to try and maintain a massive deficit relative to activity for the obvious reasons I need fuel for what I do. When I do log I usually have 6-7 items per meal so weighing is pretty important.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Who would look at someone successfully losing weight and tell them to get a food scale? The advice is usually given (repeatedly) to someone asking for help losing weight because whatever they've been doing has not worked over any appreciable period. PS: Two weeks is NOT

I'm not disagreeing that it is often useful advice to suggest when someone complains about being stalled, or that two weeks is too short a time to tell, or even that it might specifically be useful advice for this person.

I have just increasingly seen blanket statements that no one can accurately determine their calorie intake/lose weight without a food scale. As a blanket statement, it isn't true. The universal/absolute nature, and frequency, of such statements is what I am challenging.

They're all estimates. I do absolutely believe The food scale is a better one. If you're having success without a scale, more power to you. I, too, have lost without logging. In fact I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn't
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's not that a scale is a must, it's just if you aren't weighing your food and you aren't losing weight, it is blatantly obvious that is where to start. Worst case scenario, you are out 15 bucks, but you are set up to better "guesstimate" should you choose to do so after a few months of weighing and learning.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Excess energy into the body is converted to fat OR is excreted and not used.

Fat already in the body, either stays there or is used for body energy needs OR is excreted and gotten rid of.

Many things influence whether energy is converted to fat or excreted and whether stored fat stays stored or is excreted. These influences can effect people very differently. CICO is 100% true if you include cals going into the sewer. CICO isn't 100% true as far as fat accumulation or dissipation goes.

Having said all that, if the body needs more energy, and you are not putting it into the body, the body will have to use glycogen, fat, or muscle to fuel you so getting a cal deficit is important for losing weight and counting cals can help you get there. It isn't the only factor though. I will not reply to any responses to this since I know people will go crazy for speaking such things.

http://www.biomechanicsandhealth.com/calories.htm
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not even against IF, just woo and special snowflakeism about doing everything right and not losing weight.

I know at least one person on the threads does IF during training with cycling. Some weeks it is one day, some weeks it is two days. Difficult, but doable. I think any method which someone finds a way to go toward goal is something worth trying. I'm not a fan of people claiming they are doing it right and really aren't even weighing their food. No food scale =/= I am doing it right and know my calories are accurate.

You don't think it's possible to diet successfully without weighing food?

I'd like to explore ways to improve and troubleshoot things I may be overlooking, but does that mean jumping to the most.intensive way to control calories in that I can think of, outside of surgery maybe?

Fasting intermittently seems much more doable to me than weighing all of my food, all of the time.

Sure, I've lost weight many times without using a food scale, or even counting calories for that matter. But, I lost weight. If one is not losing weight, being more accurate about the calories one is taking in is a simple first step.

I'm a foodie and I love to cook. I've cooked professionally as well. I don't have a hang up about using a food scale as every well equipped kitchen has one. Plus using a food scale, in addition to being more accurate, is often easier than using measuring cups.

I'm not opposed to IF for people for whom it works.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how this diet would work. (?)

I don't understand how, if you don't count calories, you know that you're only taking in 500 on your fast days, and how you know you aren't wiping out your deficit on the non fast days?

Plus, and I know this is beside the point, what would a 500 calorie day look like? How could it include any exercise? It sounds like punishment.

I agree completely.

For my 500 calorie days I'm consuming water, black coffee or hot tea until around noon. I have a 100 or 150 calorie protein shake or smoothie for lunch. When I get home from work (6pm) I have a spinach salad with tuna, 2 tbs of hummus and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (350-400 calories depending on the amount of tuna and hummus). Hot tea in between when I feel hungry.

I haven't incorporated exercise. Yet. Unfortunately I probably won't until Feb, due to a job change to another city and my existing gym membership is geographically challenging now.

So, over 90 days how many would be 500? And no, you don't need to weigh your food for weight loss. Have you attempted any other diets in the past?

Well, half--45, as long as I stick with it.

Well, if I had 1500 every other day I'd fail. I'd easily fail. If you aren't exercising maybe it would be doable. I was attempting 1500 once a week and it was tough. My average day is 2500-2800 depending on activity. Any other diets you've attempted since you've been on MFP?
    But you are male and if you eat 2500-2800 (and lose weight?) you must either be very large, very active or both. I don't think your own intake is applicable to anyone not similar in gender, age, size and activity level.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I know at least one person on the threads does IF during training with cycling. Some weeks it is one day, some weeks it is two days. Difficult, but doable. I think any method which someone finds a way to go toward goal is something worth trying. I'm not a fan of people claiming they are doing it right and really aren't even weighing their food. No food scale =/= I am doing it right and know my calories are accurate.

I'd like to explore ways to improve and troubleshoot things I may be overlooking, but does that mean jumping to the most.intensive way to control calories in that I can think of, outside of surgery maybe?

Fasting intermittently seems much more doable to me than weighing all of my food, all of the time.

I have a low profile food scale sitting on my kitchen counter. I spend maybe an extra 1 or 2 minutes a day weighing out portions. I do not use it when I eat at other people's houses or at restaurants. It is not even close to being "intensive". It is far simpler than anything else I have ever personally witnessed someone use to lose weight, including eating special or pre-packaged foods, counting Weight Watchers points, eliminating food groups, or taking specifically timed supplements or diet pills. It has simplified my meal planning and taken so much of the guessing out of figuring out why I do or don 't gain weight. I'm going to put my food in a bowl anyway, why not have the bowl on a scale?

You certainly don't have to use a food scale to lose weight, but it it is not the OCD time-consuming chore you seem to think it would be. And you don't have to use it forever if you don't want to. Two weeks weighing your portions would be enough data to see if you are eating more than you think or if your problem lies elsewhere! Data rocks :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Exactly, it takes an extra 2 minutes per meal at the most. I already weighed and measured for recipes anyway so not sure how it's THAT much different.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how, if you don't count calories, you know that you're only taking in 500 on your fast days, and how you know you aren't wiping out your deficit on the non fast days?

Plus, and I know this is beside the point, what would a 500 calorie day look like? How could it include any exercise? It sounds like punishment.

I agree completely.

For my 500 calorie days I'm consuming water, black coffee or hot tea until around noon. I have a 100 or 150 calorie protein shake or smoothie for lunch. When I get home from work (6pm) I have a spinach salad with tuna, 2 tbs of hummus and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (350-400 calories depending on the amount of tuna and hummus). Hot tea in between when I feel hungry.

I haven't incorporated exercise. Yet. Unfortunately I probably won't until Feb, due to a job change to another city and my existing gym membership is geographically challenging now.

So, over 90 days how many would be 500? And no, you don't need to weigh your food for weight loss. Have you attempted any other diets in the past?

Well, if I had 1500 every other day I'd fail. I'd easily fail. If you aren't exercising maybe it would be doable. I was attempting 1500 once a week and it was tough. My average day is 2500-2800 depending on activity. Any other diets you've attempted since you've been on MFP?
    But you are male and if you eat 2500-2800 (and lose weight?) you must either be very large, very active or both. I don't think your own intake is applicable to anyone not similar in gender, age, size and activity level.

That's true for everybody, though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

I agree completely.

Yes, but no one else is claiming that 1500 calories won't work for the OP because it doesn't work for him.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

I agree completely.

Yes, but no one else is claiming that 1500 calories won't work for the OP because it doesn't work for him.

I kind of am, but I'm also almost too flabbergasted to say so. Basically someone who has struggled with continuously maintaining a deficit wants to alternate 500 and 1500 calories every other day until she loses 50 lbs. Just so I'm clear, nothing at all wrong with this full picture, as far as you're concerned?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

I agree completely.

But it is all relative. He's a man with larger calorie needs and she is a smaller female with less caloric needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sure, I've lost weight many times without using a food scale, or even counting calories for that matter. But, I lost weight. If one is not losing weight, being more accurate about the calories one is taking in is a simple first step.

I'm a foodie and I love to cook. I've cooked professionally as well. I don't have a hang up about using a food scale as every well equipped kitchen has one. Plus using a food scale, in addition to being more accurate, is often easier than using measuring cups.

I'm not opposed to IF for people for whom it works.

All of this. I originally got a food scale for baking, and I agree that for many it's not important (I lost lots of weight easily without using it, but I also was eating a pretty simple diet and doing 1250 -- someone aiming for a smaller deficit may benefit, or someone who tends to underestimate calories). The issue is if you aren't losing and want to something has to change.

amusedmonkey -- good to know it can be helpful for some with bingeing issues. I don't binge, but was thinking that it could encourage a binge/restrict cycle or backfire if you overdid the more indulgent days. I kind of did a similar thing with including some more indulgent days, but it was due to including high exercise days (easy if you have a long run day) or flexing exercise calories to the weekend. But no fast days, so I'm not sure how I'd react to those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

I agree completely.

I kind of am, but I'm also almost too flabbergasted to say so. Basically someone who has struggled with continuously maintaining a deficit wants to alternate 500 and 1500 calories every other day until she loses 50 lbs. Just so I'm clear, nothing at all wrong with this full picture, as far as you're concerned?

Having read one of the IF books, I actually understood this to be contrary to the protocol unless her maintenance calories are 1500. The non restrict days are supposed to be truly non restrict/maintenance. (I do think this might be a difficulty re the plan, as for me it's really hard not to subconsciously be more restrictive when dieting, especially toward the beginning. One reason weighing helped me is that I started realizing I was cutting too low and adding back in some cheese and oil and other tasty stuff, which I think helped me remain happy with my diet over time vs. getting bored with the meals I was originally eating -- tasty enough, but missing some things I like and not as varied.)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

Agreed. You actually don't need to log ever. Most people have the ability to know when they are eating too much, they just ignore it. A human scale can work for weight loss just fine if used properly.

Looking at labels or logging food helps people understand the calorie dense stuff, the nutritional content, etc, but in the end being able to apply it is more important. A person could log everything and struggle if they don't figure out what keeps them full, gives them more energy, and gets them through the day.

am I unusual? I am here because I can't gauge when I am done eating for the day.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

Agreed. You actually don't need to log ever. Most people have the ability to know when they are eating too much, they just ignore it. A human scale can work for weight loss just fine if used properly.

Looking at labels or logging food helps people understand the calorie dense stuff, the nutritional content, etc, but in the end being able to apply it is more important. A person could log everything and struggle if they don't figure out what keeps them full, gives them more energy, and gets them through the day.

am I unusual? I am here because I can't gauge when I am done eating for the day.

LOL nope

Most people can't

If they could then there would be far fewer weight issues as it would be a conscious choice to overeat
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

That depends. Are you claiming that you eat too much and never have any idea you've eaten too much? I'm not claiming we can all eat all we want and our body will stop us. I'm stating that most people at some level do know they are eating beyond what they should. I've heard people grab food stating things like "I really shouldn't eat this" etc, but they still do.

And if logging works then people should go for it. If logging, exercise, weighing food and yoga works they should go for that. But if the IF methods actually work for some people, no reason they shouldn't do it. I know a lot of people that don't overeat, and they all go about it different ways. The "easiest" way will vary by person and what works for them, and that's really my point. I would say most likely the people that find weight control the easiest are those that would be few and far between on this web site. They hop on a scale now and then, or notice when their clothes are snug, and eat less and/or move more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

That depends. Are you claiming that you eat too much and never have any idea you've eaten too much? I'm not claiming we can all eat all we want and our body will stop us. I'm stating that most people at some level do know they are eating beyond what they should. I've heard people grab food stating things like "I really shouldn't eat this" etc, but they still do.

And if logging works then people should go for it. If logging, exercise, weighing food and yoga works they should go for that. But if the IF methods actually work for some people, no reason they shouldn't do it. I know a lot of people that don't overeat, and they all go about it different ways. The "easiest" way will vary by person and what works for them, and that's really my point. I would say most likely the people that find weight control the easiest are those that would be few and far between on this web site. They hop on a scale now and then, or notice when their clothes are snug, and eat less and/or move more.

I think that's a socially self-deprecating comment meant to instil a sense of camaraderie rather than a true acknowledgement of I'm eating too much.

There are people who manage their weight effortlessly but I would warrant the vast majority who turn to a calorie counting are not amongst them and those who turn to IF programmes aren't either hence the marketing obfuscation of eat what you want on non-fast days when actually when you read the programme/book properly it's "eat what you want to your maintenance level" is a sales tactic rather than an actuality for those with weight issues who simply don't want to give up their eating lifestyle

And I get it eating is an extremely pleasant, emotionally rewarding and social activity. It's tough to control it