Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Working through the rib muscle tear beltless still. My breath is much shorter than I'm use to but got in some recovery squats decently without dikloulous pain and geared up for another PR scheduled on Friday.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Last thing, you're not really set every rep. This is equivalent to stop and goes on deads. Though not horrendous, I would concentrate on locking knees out and starting from same position every rep.
    That was something I used to do quite religiously after taking a seminar last year prior to my first USAPL meet. I don't know why I got away from it. I'm so broken.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Last thing, you're not really set every rep. This is equivalent to stop and goes on deads. Though not horrendous, I would concentrate on locking knees out and starting from same position every rep.
    That was something I used to do quite religiously after taking a seminar last year prior to my first USAPL meet. I don't know why I got away from it. I'm so broken.

We all get in a rush trying to fix things. Ive been off from heavy lifting for almost 8 years now because of my injuries/health. You'll get it. Dont be at yourself up.

Tempos will point out a lot what your doing wrong. When moving so slowly you can feel your shifts in balance or if anything might not be as tight as it should be. Added bonus of getting more intensity out of a low weight.
    edited April 2017
    Options

We all get in a rush trying to fix things. Ive been off from heavy lifting for almost 8 years now because of my injuries/health. You'll get it. Dont be at yourself up.

Tempos will point out a lot what your doing wrong. When moving so slowly you can feel your shifts in balance or if anything might not be as tight as it should be. Added bonus of getting more intensity out of a low weight.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to finish out just half of this program (end of next week) and then build in more sub-max squat work up to 85%. My upper strength will mostly be there after I hone my mechanics. Box squats and even tempo work will be in there too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You are not broken. I spent over a year (going on 2 now) continuing to tinker with my squat- I had a good 6-9 months of panicked lifting because I was crooked- and my left hip was diving further than my right hip. And I felt like in dance- everything I did was crooked. I had days where I felt like Natilie Portman in Black Swan- like complete mental breaks on what I LOOKED like- because literally the only thing I could see in the mirror or in the videos was the flaw. It was extreme.

I think we get incredibly mental/in our heads about lifting because it gets SO technical when you get up there- and EVERY little adjustment can make or break a squat.

I finally got a chance to watch-
    I agree you feel very rushed- and you aren't getting internal bracing with your air- and locking down your trunk.

Also- a cue that I picked up from Juggernaut training is keeping the knees "forward" - When you come back up you see the knee shift back just a little- and it helped smooth out my trajectory up/down thinking about once they are bent- and the come forward- they stay there- they don't go back- helps my hips from shooting out the back and loosing energy from my legs and wind up good morninging said squat.

It's not ad bad as you think I promise.
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You are not broken.
    Okay, but 'm still old(ish) lol.
    I spent over a year (going on 2 now) continuing to tinker with my squat- I had a good 6-9 months of panicked lifting because I was crooked- and my left hip was diving further than my right hip. And I felt like in dance- everything I did was crooked. I had days where I felt like Natilie Portman in Black Swan- like complete mental breaks on what I LOOKED like- because literally the only thing I could see in the mirror or in the videos was the flaw. It was extreme.
    So what did you do? Was it mobility?
    I think we get incredibly mental/in our heads about lifting because it gets SO technical when you get up there- and EVERY little adjustment can make or break a squat.
    Isn't it? But I guess that's why we keep coming back to it, working harder at it than before.
    I finally got a chance to watch-
    I agree you feel very rushed- and you aren't getting internal bracing with your air- and locking down your trunk.

Also- a cue that I picked up from Juggernaut training is keeping the knees "forward" - When you come back up you see the knee shift back just a little- and it helped smooth out my trajectory up/down thinking about once they are bent- and the come forward- they stay there- they don't go back- helps my hips from shooting out the back and loosing energy from my legs and wind up good morninging said squat.
    Speaking of cueing, I spent some time watching Rip's Starting Strength tutorials on the Squat last night around 10pm. (Heck if Alan Thrall can retool his squat with a SS coach, so can I.) After watching the whole series 3x again, I wanted to leave the house and go squat -- the low bar started to make sense -- like I could abandoned my safety blanket high bar squat. I'll have to check out the Juggernaut tutorial. CWS is an awesome squatter.
    It's not ad bad as you think I promise.
    I'll post some video from this morning's squat session learning lower bar. I think I am on the right track now. The reps are still too deep and a bit rushed, but the general outline is there, I just need to color in the rest of the details and not fall into the high bar/crappish low bar patterns that I've done a thousands times before.

And thank you @JoRocka for your kind words and advise.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Okay, but 'm still old(ish) lol.
    lol- aren't we all LMAO.
    Nothing can be done for that- but moving keeps you healthy. nothing new here.
    So what did you do? Was it mobility?
    2 prong approach.
    I went to physical therapy- I started doing a lot of single leg work.
    I brought an INSANE amount of attention to my foot placement (in EVERYTHING- and I mean EVERYTHING) even just standing still I have a tendency to place one foot slightly in front of the other.
    I use the lines on the dance floor to constantly correct my one foot that rests 1/2 inch behind the other. I draw lines using chalk on the gym floor to confirm I'm even when I squat.

So for me I was hyper attention to the imbalance. working squat sessions thoroughly and thoughtfully- if I rushed anything- it was bench or deads. never squats. I did squat centric programs on purpose.
    Isn't it? But I guess that's why we keep coming back to it, working harder at it than before.
    yep- I think honestly anyone whose serious about lifting has spells of technical "melt downs" and "reassessments" - we love it to much to ever give it up- so yep- working harder and the self degradation only spurs us to get better.
    Speaking of cueing, I spent some time watching Rip's Starting Strength tutorials on the Squat last night around 10pm. (Heck if Alan Thrall can retool his squat with a SS coach, so can I.) After watching the whole series 3x again, I wanted to leave the house and go squat -- the low bar started to make sense -- like I could abandoned my safety blanket high bar squat. I'll have to check out the Juggernaut tutorial. CWS is an awesome squatter.

I didn't pick that up from a tutorial- it was a technical evaluation of how Marisa(?) improved her squat SUBSTANTIALLY- 50-75 pounds between meets I think. I'll find it- It was very helpful for me. They did one with Meg squats also recently- I really like THOSE types of reviews more- because they are addressing actual problems in competitive lifters- not "this is how you do this"
    we all know "this is how you do this" but watching them trouble shoot real lifters is WAY more helpful it seems for me as I am tweaking very nit picky things.
    I'll post some video from this morning's squat session learning lower bar. I think I am on the right track now. The reps are still too deep and a bit rushed, but the general outline is there, I just need to color in the rest of the details and not fall into the high bar/crappish low bar patterns that I've done a thousands times before.

And thank you @JoRocka for your kind words and advise.
    No problem- we are all there- been there or going there. you are not alone LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options
    https://youtu.be/urZiIm6IkSY

This one specifically.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Austin is a extremely intelligent coach and strong AF lifter.

He's has taken time to help me as well in the past month or so. I'm able to low bar squat finally and I've added a good amount of weight on the bar since following his advice.

Jordan his partner in crime just pulled 701. I think he weighed out *just under 210* the other day.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I will stand by watching Alan thrall! I've been watching all of his videos on deadlift set ups and low bar squats(I was purely high bar) and things have just been clicking. Going for my second PR in 2 weeks. Nothing substantial but after being stuck for so long any progress is awesome.

It definitely feels weird at first, but if you're feeling like things just aren't clicking it could definitely be worth a try. We all hit those mental blocks and start questioning if it's worth it. Those moments just test how hard were really willing to work.

• Chieflrg
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lifting my chest & head early like a mofo...

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I can't see videos all of a sudden. What the ???
  • JoRocka
    Options

not as bad as you thought (or I was expecting) I was more distracted by how effing quiet the gym there is!!! they don't have any music playing?
  • Chieflrg
    Options

not as bad as you thought (or I was expecting) I was more distracted by how effing quiet the gym there is!!! they don't have any music playing?

I think Rage is playing, they turn it down pretty low in day time when all the geezers my age and above come in. I plug in my Bluetooth regardless because they usually play vanilla radio playlist chit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I think Rage is playing, they turn it down pretty low in day time when all the geezers my age and above come in. I plug in my Bluetooth regardless because they usually play vanilla radio playlist chit.

LOL. In my gym, we have a stereo where we can plug in our own MP3 players or IPods or whatever. I was there 2nd last night, but the guy before me wasn't playing anything, so I put mine on. I just have an old Zen MP3 player, so no playlists - so I had it on shuffle. There's a mix of stuff - Disturbed, Black Sabbath, Lady Gaga, Christina Perri, and others. For whatever reason, it kept playing Lady Gaga every other song (or so it seemed). After a while a few other people showed up, but my player kept playing Gaga. I laughed it off the first two times and just went over and skipped forward. The third time, I called in the bullpen. Had I not been deadlifting, I might have just used my earbuds from the beginning. Alas, no.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

LOL. In my gym, we have a stereo where we can plug in our own MP3 players or IPods or whatever. I was there 2nd last night, but the guy before me wasn't playing anything, so I put mine on. I just have an old Zen MP3 player, so no playlists - so I had it on shuffle. There's a mix of stuff - Disturbed, Black Sabbath, Lady Gaga, Christina Perri, and others. For whatever reason, it kept playing Lady Gaga every other song (or so it seemed). After a while a few other people showed up, but my player kept playing Gaga. I laughed it off the first two times and just went over and skipped forward. The third time, I called in the bullpen. Had I not been deadlifting, I might have just used my earbuds from the beginning. Alas, no.

Hahaha...Gaga taking over.

There really is only two other gyms in my area. One is PL which is only open a couple hours at night and the other is PL/SM/CF and is so crammed it almost doubles training time.