Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Arg, been meaning to get back to this thread, but since I last posted life became immensely busy with starting a new job, looking for a new house, time with my family, and studying up. But I wanted to say thanks first to @JoRocka @Chieflrg @jessef593 for the words of encouragement. Jo, haven't had a chance yet to watch the video but will.

I've been working on the low bar so I thought I'd return with an update.

One of my USAPL-WI friends read about my difficultly with LB on IG and offered to coach me on it. Last Friday, I made the journey to his gym and we worked on it. His cues definitely helped, but I left sore and still a little unsure.
    snipsnipsnip
    I go full LB and have reasonable success. I now want to cuddle kittens again! I know I have still much to work on (read my friend Brian's comments on IG) but I'm closer to it than I was before.

I think what has helped was first talking it over with you guys, transferring my training to the closest powerlifting/strongman gym, and accepting the help from my friend. I have wanted to train at this gym forever, but since last May I have been unemployed so that was a nonstarter. I don't know about you, but training in front of mirror sucks. I don't compete in front of a mirror so why train in front of them.

I'm still going to hold off competing in June and the next USAPL meet I will do is September. There is one backyard meet I will do (Wisconsin State Fair Open) for practice and because its a fun event, but otherwise, its build my squat and get my numbers up.

man- squat is easily one of the most frustrating things to be "working" like - when it works it works- and when it doesn't it's just *kitten*. I 100% understand the whole drown vs cuddle kittens.

Glad you made some progress- despite the frustrations.
    Sounds like you have a good plan in terms of staging competing till you're more confident.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

congrats on the belt- I've got my "wish list" of my new belt sitting by my desk- and one day - I'll actually order it- I want the 13mm- because- stiffer is always better (See above for dirty jokes)- but I'm unsure- all the 10's I've seen are pretty stiff too- but eh- I feel like go hard or go home.

What's the number for most federations? I don't want to get a 13 if I can't use it to compete.

I think 13mm is the number.
    You guys have me excited about new belts now, mine will be too big before long. I'm thinking maybe the red/white/blue Inzer single prong because #basic.
  • JoRocka
    edited April 2017
    Options

congrats on the belt- I've got my "wish list" of my new belt sitting by my desk- and one day - I'll actually order it- I want the 13mm- because- stiffer is always better (See above for dirty jokes)- but I'm unsure- all the 10's I've seen are pretty stiff too- but eh- I feel like go hard or go home.

What's the number for most federations? I don't want to get a 13 if I can't use it to compete.

I think 13mm is the number.
    You guys have me excited about new belts now, mine will be too big before long. I'm thinking maybe the red/white/blue Inzer single prong because #basic.

I have a hefty wish list- which is why I haven't ordered it yet- I feel like if I'm going to order one- I might as well get what I want since I'll have it for a many many years. And it's time. I have a crappy old 4" tapered 2"? I dunno harbringer one now- and it's served me well for a while- but well- it's time.

I do- I'm not going to lie- I gotta little sticky right on my work desk- I open up the site every like 2-3 weeks and look at it with all the details and debate spending the money- then something comes up and it just doesn't happen. :( Maybe for Christmas. sigh.

Mine's going to be back and red and say BrickHaus on it. I'm kind of excited. because #nerdlife
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    just got myself a 10mm single prong Titan strengty systems longhorn belt. I really like it but wish that I would have just gone leaver belt but since I'm going down the holes fairly rapidly maybe I'll get there eventually.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    just got myself a 10mm single prong Titan strengty systems longhorn belt. I really like it but wish that I would have just gone leaver belt but since I'm going down the holes fairly rapidly maybe I'll get there eventually.

I was warned off a double prong belt- I didn't think I cared till I borrowed a friends a 10 mm double prong belt and really struggled to get it on and off by myself- so I'm totally sold on a lever belt at this point. My current belt is so worn- and also a much thinner belt- so it's much easier to get it on and off than the thicker belt.

So yeah- totally sold on a lever belt.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I was warned off a double prong belt- I didn't think I cared till I borrowed a friends a 10 mm double prong belt and really struggled to get it on and off by myself- so I'm totally sold on a lever belt at this point. My current belt is so worn- and also a much thinner belt- so it's much easier to get it on and off than the thicker belt.

I workout on my porch and I figures with temperature swings I'd like the much easier adjustability of the single prong other than the possible pita of always unscrewing and remounting the leaver. What I've found is that I almost always use the exact same hole whether tshirt or sweatshirt. My Titan belt was relatively soft and mostly plyable straight out of the box and it took no time at all to feel like it was supposed to be there. They advertise that they are pre-broken in not sure that means that the lifespan will be shorter but it was very nice.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I'm loving the lever so far. You look like a complete bad *kitten* racking your weight then as you walk away you snap it open. The only gripe I have is damn does that thing love to pinch my bit of gut between the two ends of the belt when putting it on. I may also just have it set too tight. I decided to try it for bench to see what it was like and I had to fight to make the arch. It felt good though. I couldn't imagine any stiffer. (Insert dirty joke) im not as capable when it comes to that spectrum of dirty jokes. Oh the struggle
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lever would work for me, some days I'm in the 6th hole, other days I'm a fatty and gotta use 4th
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't think a lever would work for me, some days I'm in the 6th hole, other days I'm a fatty and gotta use 4th

One of the reasons I tore my rib muscles using a Inzer. Pain in the *kitten* to adjust size from day to day if your drinking/eating etc volumes vary greatly.

I've been looking into Bob's Belt single prong deadlifting belt as well as the 3.5" lifting belt. They will custom make belt to your specs and their belts are 100% broken in and made in USA.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

One of the reasons I tore my rib muscles using a Inzer. Pain in the *kitten* to adjust size from day to day if your drinking/eating etc volumes are different.

I've been looking at Bob's belts lately, not only do I like their customer service 100 x Inzer, they customize the belts to fit your body to your specs and come 100% broken in.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Inzer Lever here, but I really want to purchase the SBD belt, which is beautifully tooled, a lever, and doesn't require a screwdriver to adjust.

I only wear a belt for squat, I've found no advantage to its use in bench or deadlift. I might have if I was a geared lifter.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Starting working on my snatch form again today. Bar path isn't where I would like it once it leaves my hips.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Going for a 350-360 lb. incline bench Saturday. Kinda excited about it, hit 345 easy last Saturday. For some reason the flat has plateaued. Would love to get back to 405 on the incline, who says old dudes can't lift?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Going for a 350-360 lb. incline bench Saturday. Kinda excited about it, hit 345 easy last Saturday. For some reason the flat has plateaued. Would love to get back to 405 on the incline, who says old dudes can't lift?
    I'm hoping to hit a 350 bench in two weeks. I never thought I'd be this close to four plates. Good luck!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to hit a 350 bench in two weeks. I never thought I'd be this close to four plates. Good luck!

Good luck! Crush those weights! One day haha
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just got some lightweight groove work in today, three days out. Watching some insanely skilled technical benching including the arch goals going on in the background.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Inzer Lever here, but I really want to purchase the SBD belt, which is beautifully tooled, a lever, and doesn't require a screwdriver to adjust.

I only wear a belt for squat, I've found no advantage to its use in bench or deadlift. I might have if I was a geared lifter.

Yeah - the reason I went Inzer, vs. SBD was the price - SBD was (still is?) more than 2x the Inzer. I'm considering drilling/treating some extra prong holes into my Inzer, so it's like the SBD.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Yeah - the reason I went Inzer, vs. SBD was the price - SBD was (still is?) more than 2x the Inzer. I'm considering drilling/treating some extra prong holes into my Inzer, so it's like the SBD.

It currently retails for $235.00 and is on back order. It is truly an amazing belt, though. I get plenty of use out of mine because I wear it for all three lifts.