Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Oh, also... @ash_law I peeped your IG and we both have a meet on Feb 20th! Good luck to you and happy lifting!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @nakedraygun I always look forward to conversations about your meet!
    @_incogNEATo_ It will be the smallest federated meet I've done to date. (Not like I've done many.) They released the roster a few days ago, I was happy to find out that I was not the oldest person who will be competing. (4th oldest. **Sad trombone** ) Out of the 17 committed, there is only one geared lifter. If I can't out-lift some of the whipper-snappers there, I hope to, at least, out-Wilkes them. lol
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh, also... @ash_law I peeped your IG and we both have a meet on Feb 20th! Good luck to you and happy lifting!

Thanks! And best of luck to you too! What meet are you doing? I'm doing the USPA Western Warrior Challenge in Phoenix, AZ.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »

Thanks! And best of luck to you too! What meet are you doing? I'm doing the USPA Western Warrior Challenge in Phoenix, AZ.

I'm in a USAPL State meet in Phenix City, AL. My first one!!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Today's 365 30lb pr.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    PR on squats last night - 270lbs for a set of 3. My best single ever is 281lbs.

That was really solid. I think you had five.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @McCloud33 that 5x5 spreadsheet shows some nice progress in a few months. I wish I could do 5 BW pull-ups so I'm super-impressed.
    Thanks @_incogNEATo_ , that was my first real experience with weights. I had done p90x prior to that, but even when I was in HS and college I never hit the weight room.
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    @McCloud33 Ya, my current goal is 3plates (135). I attempted 107.5lb the other day, but was 2in from bar. I like to do pyramid sets. Like bw x10, +25x5, +45x3, +70x1, +90x1, +105x1, +90x2, +45x10, max bw. But somedays, I'll just do 20 sets of 10bw.
    @ROBOTFOOD You inspired me this moring. I did a pyramid set like you describe and was able hit 90x2, 100x1 and 107.5x1!
    https://youtu.be/rimPMoEWOWc
    https://youtu.be/3fFkWNqMufs
    https://youtu.be/4TuZW4fYVrY
    I need some 100lb plates though. Having more than two or three on the chain is really uncomfortable.

I've also said that I want to try the 20rep squat program once I get off of my cut in about 8 more weeks, but thought I'd give it a try with a little lower weight this morning. Here's 185x20
    https://youtu.be/Nb0PqtTmBtU
    trying to debate whether I want to start here at 185 and get up to 275x20 in 6 weeks (add 5lbs MWF = 15lbs/wk) or start a little higher/lower than that. The program says that you should be able to do your current 5RM for 20 at the end of the program if you eat/sleep enough.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    PR on squats last night - 270lbs for a set of 3. My best single ever is 281lbs.

That was really solid. I think you had five.

Haha thanks! I think I probably had a shot at 1 more, but I dont know about 2 more lol.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    @McCloud33 Nice!! Now I want to go train pullups right now lol. I've never tried that grip before. Just the standard palms facing away pullups. And I'll have to pass on the 20rep squats. Sounds like death to me. I'm huffin and puffin at rep 5.

Today's floor press PR 275. Wish my rack had 1 more hole lower so the bar doesn't hit the safteys. But what can ya do. Elbow was sore that's why I have knee sleeves on my arms. Good fit.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @McCloud33 Nice!! Now I want to go train pullups right now lol. I've never tried that grip before. Just the standard palms facing away pullups. And I'll have to pass on the 20rep squats. Sounds like death to me. I'm huffin and puffin at rep 5.

Today's floor press PR 275. Wish my rack had 1 more hole lower so the bar doesn't hit the safteys. But what can ya do. Elbow was sore that's why I have knee sleeves on my arms. Good fit.

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure about the 20 rep squat either. They refer to them as "breathing" squats because once you get done with about 10, most people have to take several breaths in between before doing the next rep. I guess they're brutal, but are a proven way to put on size all over.

Solid floor press. I'm still languishing back here at like 230ish on my bench :disappointed:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure about the 20 rep squat either. They refer to them as "breathing" squats because once you get done with about 10, most people have to take several breaths in between before doing the next rep. I guess they're brutal, but are a proven way to put on size all over.

Solid floor press. I'm still languishing back here at like 230ish on my bench :disappointed:

I'm sure they work. I'd likely have to start with 135 lol. And thx! Bench has been a b!tch! I have really long arms. Good for deadlift, bad for bench. I went from 225x2 to 250 just by working on weighted dips.
  • McCloud33
    Options

I'm sure they work. I'd likely have to start with 135 lol. And thx! Bench has been a b!tch! I have really long arms. Good for deadlift, bad for bench. I went from 225x2 to 250 just by working on weighted dips.

135 would have you squating 225x20 in 6 weeks. I might have to start weighted dips then! I don't really do them, just because I don't like them, because I'm not good at them...maybe I'll like them more if I get better at them.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Just don't use the safety bars at all. No real need with floor press, especially if they're getting in the way.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Just don't use the safety bars at all. No real need with floor press, especially if they're getting in the way.

Ya you're right. Every time it hit, it threw me off a little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

135 would have you squating 225x20 in 6 weeks. I might have to start weighted dips then! I don't really do them, just because I don't like them, because I'm not good at them...maybe I'll like them more if I get better at them.

I've done this- as far as I know (right now) I've never seen anyone else do that program on this site.
    start with you 1 rep max- and subtract 5 pounds for every workout - 3 workouts for 6 weeks- so 90 pounds- subtract that off the 1RMP- it sucks. Mine was 180- so I started at 95 pounds (like hell I was going to do LESS than a quarter)

So. let me tell you something. I'm fairly resilient- I've been through and done some effed up stuff in my life. And I've been lifting for almost 20 years.

That program rates at least top five as some of the WORST six weeks of training in my life. I had NEVER. EVER in my existence of training been that sick and mentally tormented to step to the bar as when I did that- outside of stuff that I was forced to do for training. Seriously. It sucked. A LOT.

The first 5-6 workouts are managable- week 3 sucks. week 4 becomes cardio and torture- week 5 and 6 were serious "how can I get out of this" type of mentality when I was leaving work.

it DEFINITELY helped. It really pushed my "base" comfort level of a squat up from like 155 to 175.

It works. But it sucks LOL
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

I love dips! My current goal is to get back to 3plate. I was 165 the last time i did +135x3.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I've done this- as far as I know (right now) I've never seen anyone else do that program on this site.
    start with you 1 rep max- and subtract 5 pounds for every workout - 3 workouts for 6 weeks- so 90 pounds- subtract that off the 1RMP- it sucks. Mine was 180- so I started at 95 pounds (like hell I was going to do LESS than a quarter)

So. let me tell you something. I'm fairly resilient- I've been through and done some effed up stuff in my life. And I've been lifting for almost 20 years.

That program rates at least top five as some of the WORST six weeks of training in my life. I had NEVER. EVER in my existence of training been that sick and mentally tormented to step to the bar as when I did that- outside of stuff that I was forced to do for training. Seriously. It sucked. A LOT.

The first 5-6 workouts are managable- week 3 sucks. week 4 becomes cardio and torture- week 5 and 6 were serious "how can I get out of this" type of mentality when I was leaving work.

it DEFINITELY helped. It really pushed my "base" comfort level of a squat up from like 155 to 175.

@JoRocka Well if I was debating doing it before, now I'm really questioning how crazy I am. No way I could do it starting at 90 less than my 1rm...5rm is going to be bad enough. Anything over 10 right now and I get really winded and it gets hard to breathe, so I thought this might help get me breathing better with the bar on my back. My 1rm right now is probably just north of 330, and 5rm just south of 300. I thought if I could do 275 for 20 at the end that would be awesome, hence the 185 starting point.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@JoRocka Well if I was debating doing it before, now I'm really questioning how crazy I am. No way I could do it starting at 90 less than my 1rm...5rm is going to be bad enough. Anything over 10 right now and I get really winded and it gets hard to breathe, so I thought this might help get me breathing better with the bar on my back. My 1rm right now is probably just north of 330, and 5rm just south of 300. I thought if I could do 275 for 20 at the end that would be awesome, hence the 185 starting point.

That sounds absolutely hellacious @McCloud33. lol

I vote you go for it. It'll be an adventure. And if it makes you hate life too much, just stop. :smiley: .

But mostly I vote you go for it because there is no way I'm gonna try it. lol I did a set of 165x15 last saturday (roughly 60% 1rm) and that was pretty awful. I got through 10, then it was probably a 15-20 second standing rest as I tried to get air and tighten up and then the next 5 were still rough. I'm just not used to doing that kind of reps.

Do it and post about your experience here. I'm curious how it would go.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

That sounds absolutely hellacious @McCloud33. lol

I vote you go for it. It'll be an adventure. And if it makes you hate life too much, just stop. :smiley: .

But mostly I vote you go for it because there is no way I'm gonna try it. lol I did a set of 165x15 last saturday (roughly 60% 1rm) and that was pretty awful. I got through 10, then it was probably a 15-20 second standing rest as I tried to get air and tighten up and then the next 5 were still rough. I'm just not used to doing that kind of reps.

Do it and post about your experience here. I'm curious how it would go.

@ovidnine It's still going to be at least 8 weeks before I start since there's no way I'm going to attempt it while on a cut. And it may even be even a little longer as I'm doing a spartan race at the end of April, and I'm going to need to up my distance running training for that, so it'll probably be May. I'll post kind of like you've done with your Bulgarian Method post though when I do it.