JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    @McCloud33 Nice!! Now I want to go train pullups right now lol. I've never tried that grip before. Just the standard palms facing away pullups. And I'll have to pass on the 20rep squats. Sounds like death to me. I'm huffin and puffin at rep 5.

Today's floor press PR 275. Wish my rack had 1 more hole lower so the bar doesn't hit the safteys. But what can ya do. Elbow was sore that's why I have knee sleeves on my arms. Good fit.

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure about the 20 rep squat either. They refer to them as "breathing" squats because once you get done with about 10, most people have to take several breaths in between before doing the next rep. I guess they're brutal, but are a proven way to put on size all over.

Solid floor press. I'm still languishing back here at like 230ish on my bench :disappointed:

I'm sure they work. I'd likely have to start with 135 lol. And thx! Bench has been a b!tch! I have really long arms. Good for deadlift, bad for bench. I went from 225x2 to 250 just by working on weighted dips.

135 would have you squating 225x20 in 6 weeks. I might have to start weighted dips then! I don't really do them, just because I don't like them, because I'm not good at them...maybe I'll like them more if I get better at them.

I've done this- as far as I know (right now) I've never seen anyone else do that program on this site.
    start with you 1 rep max- and subtract 5 pounds for every workout - 3 workouts for 6 weeks- so 90 pounds- subtract that off the 1RMP- it sucks. Mine was 180- so I started at 95 pounds (like hell I was going to do LESS than a quarter)

So. let me tell you something. I'm fairly resilient- I've been through and done some effed up stuff in my life. And I've been lifting for almost 20 years.

That program rates at least top five as some of the WORST six weeks of training in my life. I had NEVER. EVER in my existence of training been that sick and mentally tormented to step to the bar as when I did that- outside of stuff that I was forced to do for training. Seriously. It sucked. A LOT.

The first 5-6 workouts are managable- week 3 sucks. week 4 becomes cardio and torture- week 5 and 6 were serious "how can I get out of this" type of mentality when I was leaving work.

it DEFINITELY helped. It really pushed my "base" comfort level of a squat up from like 155 to 175.

It works. But it sucks LOL

@JoRocka Well if I was debating doing it before, now I'm really questioning how crazy I am. No way I could do it starting at 90 less than my 1rm...5rm is going to be bad enough. Anything over 10 right now and I get really winded and it gets hard to breathe, so I thought this might help get me breathing better with the bar on my back. My 1rm right now is probably just north of 330, and 5rm just south of 300. I thought if I could do 275 for 20 at the end that would be awesome, hence the 185 starting point.

Well- I mean you could back it down to like 315- or even 300-but it's not SUPPOSED to be easy. if you started at 300- that would put you starting at 210. Its more mental than physical. The physical sucks- but it's mental suck it up and do it.

Even 100 pounds for me for 20 reps sucked- but it's just more manageable b/c it's not heavy- and remember you aren't blowing through them like speed squats.
    ovidnine wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @McCloud33 Nice!! Now I want to go train pullups right now lol. I've never tried that grip before. Just the standard palms facing away pullups. And I'll have to pass on the 20rep squats. Sounds like death to me. I'm huffin and puffin at rep 5.

Today's floor press PR 275. Wish my rack had 1 more hole lower so the bar doesn't hit the safteys. But what can ya do. Elbow was sore that's why I have knee sleeves on my arms. Good fit.

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure about the 20 rep squat either. They refer to them as "breathing" squats because once you get done with about 10, most people have to take several breaths in between before doing the next rep. I guess they're brutal, but are a proven way to put on size all over.

Solid floor press. I'm still languishing back here at like 230ish on my bench :disappointed:

I'm sure they work. I'd likely have to start with 135 lol. And thx! Bench has been a b!tch! I have really long arms. Good for deadlift, bad for bench. I went from 225x2 to 250 just by working on weighted dips.

135 would have you squating 225x20 in 6 weeks. I might have to start weighted dips then! I don't really do them, just because I don't like them, because I'm not good at them...maybe I'll like them more if I get better at them.

I've done this- as far as I know (right now) I've never seen anyone else do that program on this site.
    start with you 1 rep max- and subtract 5 pounds for every workout - 3 workouts for 6 weeks- so 90 pounds- subtract that off the 1RMP- it sucks. Mine was 180- so I started at 95 pounds (like hell I was going to do LESS than a quarter)

So. let me tell you something. I'm fairly resilient- I've been through and done some effed up stuff in my life. And I've been lifting for almost 20 years.

That program rates at least top five as some of the WORST six weeks of training in my life. I had NEVER. EVER in my existence of training been that sick and mentally tormented to step to the bar as when I did that- outside of stuff that I was forced to do for training. Seriously. It sucked. A LOT.

The first 5-6 workouts are managable- week 3 sucks. week 4 becomes cardio and torture- week 5 and 6 were serious "how can I get out of this" type of mentality when I was leaving work.

it DEFINITELY helped. It really pushed my "base" comfort level of a squat up from like 155 to 175.

It works. But it sucks LOL

@JoRocka Well if I was debating doing it before, now I'm really questioning how crazy I am. No way I could do it starting at 90 less than my 1rm...5rm is going to be bad enough. Anything over 10 right now and I get really winded and it gets hard to breathe, so I thought this might help get me breathing better with the bar on my back. My 1rm right now is probably just north of 330, and 5rm just south of 300. I thought if I could do 275 for 20 at the end that would be awesome, hence the 185 starting point.

That sounds absolutely hellacious @McCloud33. lol

I vote you go for it. It'll be an adventure. And if it makes you hate life too much, just stop. :smiley: .

But mostly I vote you go for it because there is no way I'm gonna try it. lol I did a set of 165x15 last Saturday (roughly 60% 1rm) and that was pretty awful. I got through 10, then it was probably a 15-20 second standing rest as I tried to get air and tighten up and then the next 5 were still rough. I'm just not used to doing that kind of reps.

Do it and post about your experience here. I'm curious how it would go.

lol I remember when I hit 175- I failed it the first time- got it the second workout (if you fail- you fail and you retry the weight on the next workout)- and then did 180 the time after that. holyfrak. LOL- I think I got to like 6 or 8?

it's been 2 years since I did it. Rip wasn't kidding when he said by the time you're done you'll talk to jesus and he'll ask to work in with you.

It's weird to get so burnt doing "so little"- the other thing that's difficult is the warm up- there isn't one technically. And then after that the "offiical" workout is only like 4- 5 other basic exercises- paused dead lifts (or good mornings) over head supine extension- dips and something else.

It's worth running once- I was going to do it this past year and it didn't fit in to training- I wish I didn't have the schedule I had right now- I'd love to do this while I'm bulking.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    @ovidnine It's still going to be at least 8 weeks before I start since there's no way I'm going to attempt it while on a cut. And it may even be even a little longer as I'm doing a spartan race at the end of April, and I'm going to need to up my distance running training for that, so it'll probably be May. I'll post kind of like you've done with your Bulgarian Method post though when I do it.

Yeah, on a cut and training for a Spartan race sounds like a terrible time to try it. I look forward to your chronicling the experience.

@JoRocka it seems like a good program to run if you have a break in your current program or you need a reminder that what you're currently doing isn't as awful as you think. lol
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Found a second attempt for the meet! Three weeks out and hit 335lbs staying motionless at the bottom. Looks USAPL legal to me.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Very nice! @_incogNEATo_ I'd practise a slightly longer motionless pause at the bottom but strength and control look great!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    Probable opener. At least in the right ballpark (actual depends on exactly what I wind up having to do to make weight)

And yes, I was supposed to pause this for longer.

• _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Very nice! @_incogNEATo_ I'd practise a slightly longer motionless pause at the bottom but strength and control look great!

Thank you @Iron_Miss_Canada! It definitely wouldn't hurt to pause it for another second at the bottom.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    @ovidnine It's still going to be at least 8 weeks before I start since there's no way I'm going to attempt it while on a cut. And it may even be even a little longer as I'm doing a spartan race at the end of April, and I'm going to need to up my distance running training for that, so it'll probably be May. I'll post kind of like you've done with your Bulgarian Method post though when I do it.

Yeah, on a cut and training for a Spartan race sounds like a terrible time to try it. I look forward to your chronicling the experience.

@JoRocka it seems like a good program to run if you have a break in your current program or you need a reminder that what you're currently doing isn't as awful as you think. lol
    considering it's only 6 weeks- it's VERY good for that LOL
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Found a second attempt for the meet! Three weeks out and hit 335lbs staying motionless at the bottom. Looks USAPL legal to me.

Awesome! Looked like a solid lift to me, but I don't compete.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Thank you @Iron_Miss_Canada! It definitely wouldn't hurt to pause it for another second at the bottom.

How long does USAPL make people pause??
  • ash_law
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm starting to look for my meet attempts, as it seems a lot of other people are doing too! Based on the speed of my 330x2 pull this weekend, I think I will make my first attempt somewhere around 325 and have a second attempt around 345 (or whatever the closest kilos are - maybe 320 and 342ish). We will see how the next two weeks go.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »
    I'm starting to look for my meet attempts, as it seems a lot of other people are doing too! Based on the speed of my 330x2 pull this weekend, I think I will make my first attempt somewhere around 325 and have a second attempt around 345 (or whatever the closest kilos are - maybe 320 and 342ish). We will see how the next two weeks go.

Badass! That looked very smooth.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

325 for sure should be an opener for you! That looked easy both reps for you! Nice!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

From my understanding it's when the judge feels the bar is motionless and then they give the "press" command. No set time per se...
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options

^^^second that
  • ash_law
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

From my understanding it's when the judge feels the bar is motionless and then they give the "press" command. No set time per se...

Okay, that's what I thought. After seeing the "pause longer" comments I was curious if USAPL had longer pauses than other feds or something. I have not competed USAPL, and probably never will because I am a spoiled brat and don't want to compete without a deadlift bar lol.
  • ash_law
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks man!

^^^second that

Thanks!!
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options

^^^second that

Thirding.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    Nice! @ash_law !

As for the pause, just like most feds it's when the ref sees you motionless at the bottom. Some refs are well known for extra long pauses though. I'd rather train with an extra long pause, especially close to a comp for two reasons. One, I usually have some work to do to make weight. Doing an extra long pause helps me ballpark an opener better, especially since I know how making weight affects me. Two, if I can knock the rep out smoothly after a long pause, I know that bar is moving fast with a shorter pause on the platform.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

Okay, that's what I thought. After seeing the "pause longer" comments I was curious if USAPL had longer pauses than other feds or something. I have not competed USAPL, and probably never will because I am a spoiled brat and don't want to compete without a deadlift bar lol.

That's correct. There is no pause per se; the bar must be motionless to receive a press command. I compete both equipped and unequipped. It's easier to achieve motionless raw. In a shirt there can be a lot more bobbling.
  • ash_law
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nice! @ash_law !

As for the pause, just like most feds it's when the ref sees you motionless at the bottom. Some refs are well known for extra long pauses though. I'd rather train with an extra long pause, especially close to a comp for two reasons. One, I usually have some work to do to make weight. Doing an extra long pause helps me ballpark an opener better, especially since I know how making weight affects me. Two, if I can knock the rep out smoothly after a long pause, I know that bar is moving fast with a shorter pause on the platform.

That makes sense. I use "naptime" pauses as bench accessories too, it is very helpful. I was just curious whether USAPL required X-second pauses (or something that every other fed doesn't have) based on the "USAPL passable" comment I saw earlier.