Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete!! November, 5th!!

Still undecided if I want to compete at 181 or 165 though. Not sure I'll get the records at 165 but I know I will at 181 :smiley:

Are you planning to train with an experienced competitor prior to the meet?

Yes. I've been training several times a week with Lance Karabel (USPF President) and Ed Coan. Any particular reason you ask?

It's helpful for new lifters to really understand what is expected in a competition with regards to rules. It's always disheartening to have new lifters come to their first meet and not get a total because they don't realize what depth is expected, they jump commands or make a host of minor errors that are easily avoidable if they spend a bit of time training with experienced individuals. Many people head into their first meet with big expectations and are derailed by minutiae. I'm glad to hear you have that in hand.

^ I definitely agree with all of this.

When I'm prepping clients for their first meet there is a LOT of talk about commands, a lot of video review, and the majority of the prep is about setting expectations, teaching proper attempt selection strategy, and really PREPARING them for what to expect on competition day.

It's alarming to me how poorly prepared some people can be, and I don't say this to be insulting to the athletes at all, just to be clear.

Missing commands, very poor attempt selection strategy (I saw one dude GRIND a squat rep in the warmup room followed by missing his opener), missing depth by a mile, not understanding bench rules (heels up), and just all kinds of ridiculousness.

In my opinion, athletes and aspiring powerlifters should really treat the first couple of competitions as opportunities to gain experience. Learn the rules of the sport, don't go attempting to smash multiple PR's your first time out unless it falls within smart attempt selections (See Matt Gary's work on attempt selections, it's amazing).

This was less of an issue when most lifting was equipped. To left equipped, you really need a team to train with just to get gear on and take it off. Now, however, with the growth of unequipped, more and more individuals and able to train alone.

I have seen some new lifters come in and smash records but that's not the norm. Treating your first meet like a learning experience to build upon is the way to go. Generally those people who have a poor first meet, are never seen again.

For my first meet, the guy who ran our team was pretty pushy about my opening attempts. I thought they were embarrassingly low. Turned out they were a good choice because no one really knows how they will be at a meet. There's a lot going on and a lot to remember. You're coordinating warm ups with other people. It may be cold or it may be hot as hell. There's a ton of variables you have to roll with and do so with no experience.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete!! November, 5th!!

Still undecided if I want to compete at 181 or 165 though. Not sure I'll get the records at 165 but I know I will at 181 :smiley:

Are you planning to train with an experienced competitor prior to the meet?

Yes. I've been training several times a week with Lance Karabel (USPF President) and Ed Coan. Any particular reason you ask?

It's helpful for new lifters to really understand what is expected in a competition with regards to rules. It's always disheartening to have new lifters come to their first meet and not get a total because they don't realize what depth is expected, they jump commands or make a host of minor errors that are easily avoidable if they spend a bit of time training with experienced individuals. Many people head into their first meet with big expectations and are derailed by minutiae. I'm glad to hear you have that in hand.

^ I definitely agree with all of this.

When I'm prepping clients for their first meet there is a LOT of talk about commands, a lot of video review, and the majority of the prep is about setting expectations, teaching proper attempt selection strategy, and really PREPARING them for what to expect on competition day.

It's alarming to me how poorly prepared some people can be, and I don't say this to be insulting to the athletes at all, just to be clear.

Missing commands, very poor attempt selection strategy (I saw one dude GRIND a squat rep in the warmup room followed by missing his opener), missing depth by a mile, not understanding bench rules (heels up), and just all kinds of ridiculousness.

In my opinion, athletes and aspiring powerlifters should really treat the first couple of competitions as opportunities to gain experience. Learn the rules of the sport, don't go attempting to smash multiple PR's your first time out unless it falls within smart attempt selections (See Matt Gary's work on attempt selections, it's amazing).

Agree with this and @juliewatkin

The number of people who don't know the commands. Every APU entry form has a direct link to the technical rule book for the IPF, plus most of them will have a short but sweet basic information guide. Both RAW and APU, during warmups, will have one of the refs go over commands. The last thing any of us want is to see someone miss lifts on simple technicalities.

Attempt selection, be safe and conservative until you know how your body reacts to meets.

And water loading/weight cutting. If it's a first meet, don't. Even if it's just a pound or two. Or you are certain you can grab a record.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 - awesome!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've read the USA Powerlifting rule book at least a dozen times now, and probably will take the ref test sometime next year (since the coach level classes are always cancelled).

Speaking of which, I am going to start receiving training on the score board this weekend (volunteering at a meet) and have been offered an opportunity to become a promoter too. I already volunteer with social media and answering questions about our meets.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    https://youtu.be/cXYfCj5Icec

This is from 2014 when I was still competing.

Edit: I have 1 pair of 100lb plates, the rest are 45's
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I've read the USA Powerlifting rule book at least a dozen times now, and probably will take the ref test sometime next year (since the coach level classes are always cancelled).

Speaking of which, I am going to start receiving training on the score board this weekend (volunteering at a meet) and have been offered an opportunity to become a promoter too. I already volunteer with social media and answering questions about our meets.

Becoming a ref is a great way to become an even better lifter. I became one about 5 years ago and at the time was surprised at the number of rules I wasn't aware of.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    The benches this morning.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Every time I see someone deadlifting with an underhand grip I have to cringe because I know that bicep can tear any second, please don't deadlift with the underhand grip..I know you've probably done it that way thousands of times for years but I'm telling ya that 1 time is just waiting to happen and it's going to be bad.

Bicep tears are rare....

Honestly, the only people I've ever seen tear bicep tendons are high level athletes pulling a ton of weight.

You shouldn't bench either because you can tear your pec tendon, and you shouldn't squat because your knee can buckle.

Then, and if you don't keep your arm straight. I almost did that once with 365 - felt the bar slip (no chalk allowed in my old gym and it was humid as hell) and I thought I could get it. Felt the arm start to bend, dropped it and had nearly the whole gym looking around to see what the noise was.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    After a couple of years of F-arounditis with deadlift programming, and changing to a gym that allows chalk and has a platform, I've been able to put 45 lb on my DL, (at least) 35 lb on bench, and at least 20 lb on squat since April. Below is this afternoon's DL, where I finally broke through to 455 lb. I better keep it up, or @MsSquatAlot is going to bury me. :) This was at 183.4 lb.

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    After a couple of years of F-arounditis with deadlift programming, and changing to a gym that allows chalk and has a platform, I've been able to put 45 lb on my DL, (at least) 35 lb on bench, and at least 20 lb on squat since April. Below is this afternoon's DL, where I finally broke through to 455 lb. I better keep it up, or @MsSquatAlot is going to bury me. :) This was at 183.4 lb.

What I wouldn't give to workout in a PL gym. I can and I should but I work for a chain and they're sponsoring my first meet so I can't quit just yet. Haha

Nice pull, I'm definitely on your tail!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Awesome pull, you'll have 500 soon!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I effing hate mobile.
    Rotating my phone on accident has lost this post 3 time. Effer.

anyway- I'm now on my computer- so much easier.
    This is my scheduled 100-105% lift. I did 265 twice for singles- and both of them felt shallow in the hole. But I said eff it- I have a good supportive spotter and I'm going for it- so I threw two 5's on.

I DO work pause squats- not super frequently- but they do make it in there. I don't do banded.
    I get scared in the hole with heavy weights ALL.THE.TIME. I don't have confidence down there with heavy *kitten* weight above like 80%.

So my friends- help me. Give me some thoughts on how to make me suck less in the hole- other than squat heavier more frequently. (I'm on my 3rd or 4th cycle of Sheiko- and I've added weight - so I think the programing is solid. (this was the first EVER at 275- so I'm not MAD because other than the shallowness it looks strong- and I went for a single- but my problem remains)

So peoples- what do you think?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I freaking FINALLY got to compete. I've been wanting this for so long. Went 7/9. Looking forward to beating that and lifting more next time! Thanks to @SideSteel for programming and meet prep!

Playing a little catch up since I haven't been on here- this is brilliant!!! so proud of you!!!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I effing hate mobile.

This is my scheduled 100-105% lift. I did 265 twice for singles- and both of them felt shallow in the hole. But I said eff it- I have a good supportive spotter and I'm going for it- so I threw two 5's on.

I DO work pause squats- not super frequently- but they do make it in there. I don't do banded.
    I get scared in the hole with heavy weights ALL.THE.TIME. I don't have confidence down there with heavy *kitten* weight above like 80%.

So my friends- help me. Give me some thoughts on how to make me suck less in the hole- other than squat heavier more frequently. (I'm on my 3rd or 4th cycle of Sheiko- and I've added weight - so I think the programing is solid. (this was the first EVER at 275- so I'm not MAD because other than the shallowness it looks strong- and I went for a single- but my problem remains)

You can do Anderson Squats/Pin Squats to build up confidence too.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I effing hate mobile.

LOL - probably one of the few (if not only) good things about my phone not having an accelerometer.

In regards to your issue with heavy weights, I know you've mentioned Sheiko a number of times on the forums, but I don't know which version. I guess it doesn't really matter, but have you looked into maybe something along the lines of one of Paul Carter's routines? Here's one example of a peaking program he has/had: http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2010/10/raw-powerlifting-squatting.html

I'm not necessarily suggesting that particular program, but the idea behind it might be a good idea for you. That idea being work up to one heavy single, then back off to do your main working sets. There's other programs that incorporate that, but that's the first one I thought of.

• juliewatkin
    Options
    I effing hate mobile.

Have you ever tried reverse band squats? I think that anything that helps you become accustomed to overloading will increase your confidence. Because I competed for years in gear, I got accustomed to holding much heavier weights than I could squat/bench/deadlift unequipped but it made me comfortable just holding the weight and moving with it.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I effing hate mobile.

Maybe show a video of you getting in the hole and the hesitation you feel coming out. Hard to say anything with this clip except that you probably have it in you if you can figure out your hesitation and just stand up:)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

I think I would squat more often in 80% range being sure to hit depth comfortably and pause squat below depth with a weight I could do 3-5 reps at RPE 8.