Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @juliewatkin - awesome fights! I can't wait to see all the results from all the meets this weekend.

There is some amazing lifting that has gone on and is going on. I just watched K Branton bench 600 and squat 904 like a warm up. Our Provincial membership is up over 1,100 and the quality of the lifting reflects it. I reffed yesterday afternoon and was there early enough to catch the open women deadlifts. I watched a 63 woman pull 180. She didn't get the lift on a technicality but the fight was incredible. She got it up and locked it out.

I watched Kelly squat live on facebook. His skill level when it comes to squats is insane. I was talkin with Mike about what happened on his third squat in Killeen that was scary.

The results that I've seen from powersurge are insane as well. Nationals is shaping up to be deep and tough for pretty much every weight class. Quebec results should be awesome as well.

Nice total on him right? 1,017.5.

Isn't it the highest total ever by a Canadian raw or equipped?
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Well I've worked up to 190lbs on my pin press bench. I know it's weak compared to a lot of you all, but I'm looking forward to see if this helps build some strength in my weakest (relative) lift. This was the first of 5 sets...ended up with only 4 reps on the 5th set, but I also felt pretty weak overall this morning. Try again on Friday.

https://youtu.be/vbWfB41_u7s
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Well I've worked up to 190lbs on my pin press bench. I know it's weak compared to a lot of you all, but I'm looking forward to see if this helps build some strength in my weakest (relative) lift. This was the first of 5 sets...ended up with only 4 reps on the 5th set, but I also felt pretty weak overall this morning. Try again on Friday.

I feel your pain bench is my worst lift,. I've got nowhere to go but up so I'm working on it.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    @juliewatkin - awesome fights! I can't wait to see all the results from all the meets this weekend.

There is some amazing lifting that has gone on and is going on. I just watched K Branton bench 600 and squat 904 like a warm up. Our Provincial membership is up over 1,100 and the quality of the lifting reflects it. I reffed yesterday afternoon and was there early enough to catch the open women deadlifts. I watched a 63 woman pull 180. She didn't get the lift on a technicality but the fight was incredible. She got it up and locked it out.

I watched Kelly squat live on facebook. His skill level when it comes to squats is insane. I was talkin with Mike about what happened on his third squat in Killeen that was scary.

The results that I've seen from powersurge are insane as well. Nationals is shaping up to be deep and tough for pretty much every weight class. Quebec results should be awesome as well.

Nice total on him right? 1,017.5.

Isn't it the highest total ever by a Canadian raw or equipped?

That's right. Apparently they gave him the bar at the end of the meet.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    @juliewatkin: congrats on successful meet!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I've seen great carryover from pin press and floor press. I only do one or the other once every two to three weeks. It definitely helps with those sticking points, though. Especially pin press.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Some bench press from this morning. Stoked is an understatement really. I'm super happy with my bench progression over the past 8 weeks.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I've seen great carryover from pin press and floor press. I only do one or the other once every two to three weeks. It definitely helps with those sticking points, though. Especially pin press.

Slight shift in conversation- Other than complete and utter tricep burn out (which is REALLY good for me- as I have a hard time doing traditional tricep work with bad elbows)- I haven't had any good reason to do floor press- I hate it.

Tell me I'm not alone here.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Slight shift in conversation- Other than complete and utter tricep burn out (which is REALLY good for me- as I have a hard time doing traditional tricep work with bad elbows)- I haven't had any good reason to do floor press- I hate it.

Tell me I'm not alone here.

My bench press is very tricep-centric, which is why it's so beneficial to me. I get it though, and I don't think you'd be alone at all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I know they *should* be really firing the triceps- and for me it is a weak spot- but because they are so weak and doing the extra work is really tricky- I have found ways to bench without- so it's definitely good- but floor pressing means I cannot stack my shoulders under me well- and it just seems so inefficient and painful. I continue to rotate them out every other week- so one week floor press- one week flat press- then floor- then flat- but- UGHHHHHHHHHHHH whiney crying pants- do.not.like.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Also- shameless thread plug- I started a bulking thread for this winter season if anyone wants in on in it- knowing a lot of us hang out in the same spaces.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10479353/bulking-bishes-winter2016/p1?new=1
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I find it almost easier to "stack my shoulders," and even get leg drive in the Floor Press.

From yesterday.

Other then where my knees peak, my Floor Press mirrors my bench Press, except I narrow my grip by an inch or two.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Also- shameless thread plug- I started a bulking thread for this winter season if anyone wants in on in it- knowing a lot of us hang out in the same spaces.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10479353/bulking-bishes-winter2016/p1?new=1

Flagged for spam.

Then unflagged. >:)o:)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I find it almost easier to "stack my shoulders," and even get leg drive in the Floor Press.

From yesterday.

Other then where my knees peak, my Floor Press mirrors my bench Press, except I narrow my grip by an inch or two.

Do you mind if I ask a question? I have strained my shoulder and after watching you guys bench press, should your elbows never go below the bench (like here they stop at the floor)? I wondered if I was dipping my elbows down too low and putting too much strain on my shoulder. Does it make sense what I'm asking? Would doing these on the floor possibly produce the same results as bench press? Just curious. You guys know what you're doing B)
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »

From yesterday.

Do you mind if I ask a question? I have strained my shoulder and after watching you guys bench press, should your elbows never go below the bench (like here they stop at the floor)? I wondered if I was dipping my elbows down too low and putting too much strain on my shoulder. Does it make sense what I'm asking? Would doing these on the floor possibly produce the same results as bench press? Just curious. You guys know what you're doing B)

Where are you straining your shoulder? Are you straining your shoulder at lockout? If so, you are internally rotating your shoulder to complete the movement. Lower the weight, or stop a rep before that happens.

Are you straining your shoulder at the bottom of the lift? If so, you may be benching with a flat back, i.e. bodybuilder style. Try incorporating an arch.

Other things, bar path. When the bar descends, is it above your sternum, or below? If so, that will strain your shoulders. Correct your bar path, and that will depend on your anthropomorphy.

As far as elbow position at the bottom, your elbows will correspond to how you bench. I bench with a flair, not a tuck. Most people tuck which limits the depth of the elbows.

Now will Floor Press help your shoulders? It might. It might it. Floor Press is a great accessory lift to develop not only strength in the triceps but in the top of the movement, the lockout. Whereas, pin presses develop explosive strength at the bottom of the movement. These areas are sticking point for most people. Yours truely included.

• KDar1988
    Options

From yesterday.

Where are you straining your shoulder? Are you straining your shoulder at lockout? If so, you are internally rotating your shoulder to complete the movement. Lower the weight, or stop a rep before that happens.

Are you straining your shoulder at the bottom of the lift? If so, you may be benching with a flat back, i.e. bodybuilder style. Try incorporating an arch.

Other things, bar path. When the bar descends, is it above your sternum, or below? If so, that will strain your shoulders. Correct your bar path, and that will depend on your anthropomorphy.

As far as elbow position at the bottom, your elbows will correspond to how you bench. I bench with a flair, not a tuck. Most people tuck which limits the depth of the elbows.

Now will Floor Press help your shoulders? It might. It might it. Floor Press is a great accessory lift to develop not only strength in the triceps but in the top of the movement, the lockout. Whereas, pin presses develop explosive strength at the bottom of the movement. These areas are sticking point for most people. Yours truely included.

Thank you! It hurts at the bottom when I'm about to push the bar back up. When the bar comes down it is about where my sports bra band is so below the sternum. So I think I shouldn't be down that far? I am going to give the shoulders a rest for a week to see if it feels better and try again. Thinking I'd like to try the floor press sometime, I definitely could use more work on my triceps!

Thanks again for taking the time to write up some suggestions I really appreciate it. I will give them a try.
  • hollyfay31
    hollyfay31 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

From yesterday.

When the bar comes down it is about where my sports bra band is so below the sternum. So I think I shouldn't be down that far?
    The short answer is maybe. You say it hurts at the bottom of the movement, which leads me to think your back is flat against the bench. However, it could be just plain overuse too. Your anterior delts receive a lot of work in the bench press, which is why cable and banded face pulls are recommended to keep the shouldered healthy.

For me, my warmup regimen includes banded face pulls to warm up the shoulders and to activate the Lats, after stretching hips and t-spine before I bench. I also face Pull in between sets. About 20-30 reps.

If you do banded face pulls, I recommend a light band with not much tension. They should be easy breezy, but with a little tension. If your shoulders hurt while doing banded face pulls "step into" the band to make it easier. Chest up and shoulders retracted.

In addition to face pulls, during the week I do very light dumbbell T,Y, upright Rows with a generous arch (negates elbow impingement that a strict pull incurres) very light, like 10-12 pounds of 10-15 reps, 3 to 4 sets. All this work is primarily prehab and it does indeed help.

• KDar1988
    Options
    Right now I only do the SL 5x5 regimen and nothing else because he's said not to. I'm beginning to think I need to do more to not only change up things (weight loss has been stagnant!) and to work some other muscles that need it. I was reading about doing exercises for the front and back of the shoulder, avoiding having to go overhead so much, which helps overall if you have some kind of injury there. Exactly what you are mentioning. Perfect!!
    Thanks again!
    Options
    StrongLifts is a popular program and it has some merits, but I don't think it's a very good one. Major criticism I have is that it predisposes that you are younger trainee who is relatively healthy, which isn't always the case.