Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Thank you! It hurts at the bottom when I'm about to push the bar back up.

which part of your shoulder hurts? i had pain in the front while i was still pressing with an internal impingement, but that's improved a great deal with careful external-rotation work.

i've also had pain behind the same shoulder, actually under the shoulderblade. and that was more about not keeping that scapula properly pinned and stable, so it gets helped by y's and t raises, and straightforward band pulls between sets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find it almost easier to "stack my shoulders," and even get leg drive in the Floor Press.

From yesterday.

Other then where my knees peak, my Floor Press mirrors my bench Press, except I narrow my grip by an inch or two.

Interesting- I'll go watch on the Gram- I do legs flat to avoid leg drive on the floor press- I kind of thought that was half the point of the floor press. I'd be pushing a hella lot more if I was getting leg drive- LOL_ 115 is torture on the floor for me (my max is now 200).

I do go slightly more narrow also- but again- I do like the tricep engagement.
    In addition to face pulls, during the week I do very light dumbbell T,Y, upright Rows with a generous arch (negates elbow impingement that a strict pull incurres) very light, like 10-12 pounds of 10-15 reps, 3 to 4 sets. All this work is primarily prehab and it does indeed help.

to add to what @nakedraygun said- I'd emphasize the weight selected here is probably to much for you- when I do TYI's or whatever they are called- I use 5-10 pounds- and when I was in physical therapy- I used 2.5 pounders.

Shoulder work is VERY light weight when it comes to mobility and rehabbing- it's not about getting strong. So don't go ham here- there is no point-select a nice easy weight- especially at such high reps- there is NO shame. Everyone gets it. no one is going to side eye you for it so don't worry about that.
  • canadianlbs
    edited November 2016
    Options
    +1 on going light for shoulders. the word from the physiotherapist who 'fixed' mine was: with stabilization exercises, you never ever take it to failure, or even fatigue.

it defeats the purpose. you're teaching your muscles to hold new bone positions, and you're teaching your nervous system to know how that feels. so as soon as you start to fatigue, you're just clouding the re-learning process. that's even before you just plain lose the new positioning you're working to learn.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It hurts at the bottom when I'm about to push the bar back up.

which part of your shoulder hurts? i had pain in the front while i was still pressing with an internal impingement, but that's improved a great deal with careful external-rotation work.

i've also had pain behind the same shoulder, actually under the shoulderblade. and that was more about not keeping that scapula properly pinned and stable, so it gets helped by y's and t raises, and straightforward band pulls between sets.

It is the top and front area. For example if I were to put my arms out like a "zombie" (if you know what I mean) I can get them about parallel and then anything higher I get the pain. I do front squats and wondered if it was the bar resting in that area causing issues. Which could be? Not sure. With rest, it has felt better every day. Today it feels great and I'm about to leave work to do my exercise so we'll see.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I think I'll treat my shoulders with some TLC from now on :)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I should have been more clear, 10-12 lbs is light for me, you'll want to select a weight that is relative to your strength @KDar1988 as the others point out above. (Thanks for that.)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I can get them about parallel and then anything higher I get the pain.

that sounds impingey. having a hard stop at a specific point in the rom makes me think that anyway. you may not have the same kind of thing that i had, but fwiw:

if you're front squatting with the cross-arms 'california' grip maybe quit doing that and see if you can handle the open position with hands outside your shoulders. external humerus rotation instead of internal.

see if you can release your pec minor any, as that tends to tie up your collarbone and could affect the way the shoulder joint functions.

most of my shoulder rehab consisted of two things, really. releasing the front of the chest (i.e. pecs) and subtly repositioning my scapula at a different angle so as to leave more of a 'space' for the upper arm bone to move in the socket before it ran into the acromion at the out edge of my collarbone.

and then external rotation work while holding that more open position, to activate the rear cuff muscles. i was super frustrated in the first session not knowing what the guy was talking about when he said 'tilt your scapula', but once i got it it got much easier. the y and t raises were very good for engaging and activating my lower traps, which was a big player in the issues i had.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    @JoRocka Give it a try. I guess I'm of the mindset of keeping as many variables out of my bench Press as possible since the groove is such a delicate thing and then cats sleeping with dogs.

Btw, I read elsewhere you were recently married... Congrats!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Floor presses for my poverty bench. 3x5 with 225, 185 AMRAP (12), 135 AMRAP not in vid (25).
  • KDar1988
    Options
    @canadianlbs - I actually do the front squats open. Yesterday I warmed up the shoulders more and no bench press. The squats felt ok, but at the 5th set my left shoulder was getting tender where the bar sat. It is a bit sore today, but not as bad as before. I'll keep trying! Thanks to all for your help!! Much appreciated :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I should have been more clear, 10-12 lbs is light for me, you'll want to select a weight that is relative to your strength @KDar1988 as the others point out above. (Thanks for that.)

heh- I figured it was- but figured I would SUPER clear about that for her that light weight was needed- so easy to over do shoulders- delicate things they are.
    @JoRocka Give it a try. I guess I'm of the mindset of keeping as many variables out of my bench Press as possible since the groove is such a delicate thing and then cats sleeping with dogs.

Btw, I read elsewhere you were recently married... Congrats!

I'll give it a shot next go round- I think the next cycle this week is floor press- see what the leg drive does for me.

And yes- September- thank you- the wedding totally wasn't worth it- but my pictures are spectacular. I would have been married either way LOL. Him living in my house is fracking up my food plans (harder to meal prep) but we are getting through it! no one died yet- so that's all that matters!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    And yes- September- thank you- the wedding totally wasn't worth it- but my pictures are spectacular. I would have been married either way LOL. Him living in my house is fracking up my food plans (harder to meal prep) but we are getting through it! no one died yet- so that's all that matters!

At least you went into the marriage already doing food plans and such...I started this whole thing 12 years and 5 kids into my marriage. Those were some deep ruts to get out of and having someone who isn't doing the whole thing with you makes it tough. Setting the ground rules for that stuff up front should help in the long run.

Congrats again!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    More jumps cuz Deload... hoping by adding these in next cycle I'll see improvement in explosive strength...

• KDar1988
    Options

I will do that! Thanks for letting me interrupt this thread with questions. I love to watch all your videos. You guys and girls are my heros :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

At least you went into the marriage already doing food plans and such...I started this whole thing 12 years and 5 kids into my marriage. Those were some deep ruts to get out of and having someone who isn't doing the whole thing with you makes it tough. Setting the ground rules for that stuff up front should help in the long run.

Congrats again!

thanks=)
    fortunately for me it's a matter of time really- he doesn't eat what I cook- so I've sort of been trying to include food for him- but b/c our schedules are so backwards- it never works- so I just have to back to what I was doing and everything will be a.okay. he doesn't care what I eat and doesn't eat it anyway- so- upside- I just need to do "business as usual".
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Got to get started reloading (again). Honestly, staying patient would be so much easier if I was injuring myself training. Because that would be a pretty clear sign that things need to get fixed. But instead, I injure myself in stupid ways outside the gym and have to deal with it.

My next major competition isn't until late March, so we are spending the next couple months really nailing down flawless technique and strengthening all the little stabilizers so that when the heavy loads come I'm good.

150/47% for sets of eight last night.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    Closing in on that 500lb deadlift (460lb) -

Keep it up! I'd die to have a gym setup like that.