Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options

Replies

• davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you're dropping the bar after a PR overhead lift at a significant weight, or after a heavy DL, I get it.

What I find absolutely silly are people doing power cleans with a weight less than what I shoulder press dropping the bar from the shoulder for multiple reps in a set, every single time. You're wearing shorts (I hope), bringing the bar from your shoulders to your waist will not blow anything out. It's a little ridiculous.

When I deadlift 4 plates (which is currently at or near my max, depending on the day), I don't drop a 405 lbs bar from my waist after the lift, I set it down. When I clean 225, I sure as hell don't throw that down either. Does my gym have bumper plates? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that I'm just going to drop heavy things left and right.

If you're dropping a weight rep after rep after rep, chances are that you're just doing it to call attention to yourself, and you know it.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

What I find absolutely silly are people doing power cleans with a weight less than what I shoulder press dropping the bar from the shoulder for multiple reps in a set, every single time. You're wearing shorts (I hope), bringing the bar from your shoulders to your waist will not blow anything out. It's a little ridiculous.

When I deadlift 4 plates (which is currently at or near my max, depending on the day), I don't drop a 405 lbs bar from my waist after the lift, I set it down. When I clean 225, I sure as hell don't throw that down either. Does my gym have bumper plates? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that I'm just going to drop heavy things left and right.

If you're dropping a weight rep after rep after rep, chances are that you're just doing it to call attention to yourself, and you know it.

Hossein Rezazadeh just told me that he gets angry if anyone drops a bar with less than 220kg on it, because that's just a power clean!

What has your shoulder press got to do with anything? I one of the people who trains at my gym is a girl who weighs less than 50kg, she regularly drops snatches and C&Js that I and I guess you could press, but I don't see the relevence.

At the end of the day people who drop rep after rep, may be attention seekers, may be idiots, or may just be well coached lifters doing the right thing. I see examples of all 3 in my gym, one size does not fit all. Just because some people don't like it, or do it themselves, it doesn't automatically make it wrong or evil.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's the ticket. I'm alone in my basement calling attention to myself even though nobody can see or hear me.
    tumblr_m4728eVDuj1r9pfcc.gif
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    What has your shoulder press got to do with anything? I one of the people who trains at my gym is a girl who weighs less than 50kg, she regularly drops snatches and C&Js that I and I guess you could press, but I don't see the relevence.

Does she drop the bar after every rep? If you can't see the relevance of a shoulder press to doing a controlled lowering of an overhead lift, then I can't really help you out there.
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    Yeah that's the ticket. I'm alone in my basement calling attention to myself even though nobody can see or hear me.
    tumblr_m4728eVDuj1r9pfcc.gif

I guess that in your case you're doing it to get excited about your lift? Doesn't make it necessary, although what you do in your own home is obviously no one's concern but your own (and your spouse's I suppose)
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Does she drop the bar after every rep? If you can't see the relevance of a shoulder press to doing a controlled lowering of an overhead lift, then I can't really help you out there.

Yep, she doesnt really know anything about proper form though, as she only represents her country at weightlifting.

If you can't see the lack of relevence between how much you press, and how much someone else is lifting and dropping...

Like I said before, could be a whole host of reasons, if its done safely and with bumpers, no problem.
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    Yep, she doesnt really know anything about proper form though, as she only represents her country at weightlifting.

If you can't see the lack of relevence between how much you press, and how much someone else is lifting and dropping...

Like I said before, could be a whole host of reasons, if its done safely and with bumpers, no problem.

whoa, who brought form into this? This is about whether or not it's necessary. Snatches, Cleans, C&Js, DLs, etc do not have negatives, and I neither said nor implied that they do.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

whoa, who brought form into this? This is about whether or not it's necessary. Snatches, Cleans, C&Js, DLs, etc do not have negatives, and I neither said nor implied that they do.

If you read what you originally wrote you said that you have seen people drop weight after a power clean that YOU could easily strict press... what does how much YOU can strict press have to do with how much SOMEONE ELSE is lifting and dropping?

A lot of people can strict press more than I clean... but its what's heavy to me personally that determines whether or not I drop the bar...

Get it yet?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You do realize that bumper plates are meant to be dropped? And lifting platforms are built to have certain types of plates dropped on them? Failure is actually a really important part of reaching your maximum in lifting and pretty frequent in Olympic lifting as well as powerlifting. If your gym doesn't have a problem with their most likely droppable equipment being dropped, then just turn your headphones up and mind your own business. Its a gym, not a library.

I have yet to see anyone reach a super heavy weight on a lift and even have the energy left to "throw" the barbell, I'm betting the OP is referring to dropping the bar.
    Problem is, the people who work out at a "McGym" like Planet Fitness have no idea what it means to lift heavy - nor what Oly or Power lifts are. Lifting anything heavy or making any noise indicating that you're actually exerting yourself (e.g., grunting) will result in some sensitive soul hitting the "lunk alarm". Thus, they see a YouTube video of somebody Oly/Power lifting (probably with bumper plates and an appropriate floor surface) and have no idea what it's all about. Admittedly, it sounds a lot different than the hissing of hamster wheels (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and pink, rubber-coated 5 lb. dumbbells being placed gently back in the racks after an "exhausting" set of 40 reps of bosu ball tricep kickbacks.

hahahaha. In for lifters v. nonlifters.

Why is it lifters v. nonlifters? Might we not have our own goals? Most lifters I know and are friends with are on bb.com. Not here.
    I can do quite a bit of lifting my bodyweight, whether it be handstand pushups, planches or top of the pyramids. Don't mock me because I'm functionally athletic. I yoga , swim, sail, play on the jungle gyms. It makes me happy. :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    its more socially acceptable than whipping out your schlong to show what a man you are
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    For you people that do heavy lifting, why do some people feel the need to overload their barbell, then throw it down on the floor after attempting a lift?

I belong to a YMCA and a privately owned gym, and neither would allow that kind of behavior.

But I see it all the time on YouTube videos.

They are probably waiting for the doom......

Perhaps they should be made to pay for the damage to the flooring, because eventually, continually chucking the weights down will damage it for sure.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    For you people that do heavy lifting, why do some people feel the need to overload their barbell, then throw it down on the floor after attempting a lift?

I belong to a YMCA and a privately owned gym, and neither would allow that kind of behavior.

But I see it all the time on YouTube videos.

They are probably waiting for the doom......

Perhaps they should be made to pay for the damage to the flooring, because eventually, continually chucking the weights down will damage it for sure.

Lifting platforms and bumper plates are made for this reason. Metal plates in a standard gym are not. BUT if the OP is watching youtube videos of lifters.... chances are at the very least they are using rubber bumper plates and their gym is fully aware of what they are doing...

which has been explained on nearly every page of this thread already.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    You do realize that bumper plates are meant to be dropped? And lifting platforms are built to have certain types of plates dropped on them? Failure is actually a really important part of reaching your maximum in lifting and pretty frequent in Olympic lifting as well as powerlifting. If your gym doesn't have a problem with their most likely droppable equipment being dropped, then just turn your headphones up and mind your own business. Its a gym, not a library.

I have yet to see anyone reach a super heavy weight on a lift and even have the energy left to "throw" the barbell, I'm betting the OP is referring to dropping the bar.
    Problem is, the people who work out at a "McGym" like Planet Fitness have no idea what it means to lift heavy - nor what Oly or Power lifts are. Lifting anything heavy or making any noise indicating that you're actually exerting yourself (e.g., grunting) will result in some sensitive soul hitting the "lunk alarm". Thus, they see a YouTube video of somebody Oly/Power lifting (probably with bumper plates and an appropriate floor surface) and have no idea what it's all about. Admittedly, it sounds a lot different than the hissing of hamster wheels (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and pink, rubber-coated 5 lb. dumbbells being placed gently back in the racks after an "exhausting" set of 40 reps of bosu ball tricep kickbacks.

Why is it lifters v. nonlifters? Might we not have our own goals? Most lifters I know and are friends with are on bb.com. Not here.
    I can do quite a bit of lifting my bodyweight, whether it be handstand pushups, planches or top of the pyramids. Don't mock me because I'm functionally athletic. I yoga , swim, sail, play on the jungle gyms. It makes me happy. :)

What does being on BB.com have to do with anything?

And no one was mocking you until you started to hijack a thread about weightlifting and why people drop barbells with pictures of people doing yoga.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's called weightlifting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_weightlifting

Get back on your elliptical or stairmaster and don't concern yourself with athletes who are training
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Get back on your elliptical or stairmaster and don't concern yourself with athletes who are training

Please don't be talking to me taso.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And no one was mocking you until you started to hijack a thread about weightlifting and why people drop barbells with pictures of people doing yoga.

QFT.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Do you complain about dead lifters as well? I'm sure they're not in your business trying to figure out why you're doing XYZ.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Dropping truth in threads is even better than dropping barbells in a gym.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options

We all know wikipedia isn't a credible source of information, silly Taso :wink:
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

QFT.

maybe there's more to life.