Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options
123457»

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It's called weightlifting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_weightlifting

Get back on your elliptical or stairmaster and don't concern yourself with athletes who are training

Please don't be talking to me taso.

When will you finally realize that people are not talking about you, or to you?

You do yoga, we know. No one cares. This is about lifting and dropping the weights, somehow you managed sneak in some pictures of yoga poses in here, just like you do everywhere you post regardless of the topic.

I repeat, no one cares!

Okayyyyyyyyy, got it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    hahahaha. In for lifters v. nonlifters.
    Why is it lifters v. nonlifters? Might we not have our own goals? Most lifters I know and are friends with are on bb.com. Not here.
    I can do quite a bit of lifting my bodyweight, whether it be handstand pushups, planches or top of the pyramids. Don't mock me because I'm functionally athletic. I yoga , swim, sail, play on the jungle gyms. It makes me happy. :)
    What does being on BB.com have to do with anything?

And no one was mocking you until you started to hijack a thread about weightlifting and why people drop barbells with pictures of people doing yoga.
    To be fair and for clarity, etoiles_argentees didn't hijack this thread. She posted in my support when someone make a joke about me and my yoga (which was actually meant in good fun and taken as such) - see earlier posts. So no-one has hijacked the thread; it's all cool.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Get back on your elliptical or stairmaster and don't concern yourself with athletes who are training

You do yoga, we know. No one cares. This is about lifting and dropping the weights, somehow you managed sneak in some pictures of yoga poses in here, just like you do everywhere you post regardless of the topic.

I repeat, no one cares!

I find it sad that out of all the opportunities you could've taken (including just PMing her), you took this humor between 2 friends (taso and etoiles) to show your anger and hatred towards her.

Sometimes, friends kid each other. I know it can be difficult for non-friends to get it when done in public forums but I'm sure this was the case here. Regardless, she was addressing taso. Why did you felt the need to display your anger to her when you were not involved in any shape or form? Must you show your hatred to her this way?

I suggest you seek some help. While displaying such behavior on the forums will at maximum earn you a strike or a ban (which I'm sure you already know of since this is a new account and you seem to know so much with only 9 posts on your record), but if you did this kind of behavior in real life, somebody might actually act on it and then, you might not be able to hide behind the anonymity of internet. So please, talk to me or somebody else please. I worry about your health.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

I repeat, no one cares!

I find it sad that out of all the opportunities you could've taken (including just PMing her), you took this humor between 2 friends (taso and etoiles) to show your anger and hatred towards her.

Sometimes, friends kid each other. I know it can be difficult for non-friends to get it when done in public forums but I'm sure this was the case here. Regardless, she was addressing taso. Why did you felt the need to display your anger to her when you were not involved in any shape or form? Must you show your hatred to her this way?

I suggest you seek some help. While displaying such behavior on the forums will at maximum earn you a strike or a ban (which I'm sure you already know of since this is a new account and you seem to know so much with only 9 posts on your record), but if you did this kind of behavior in real life, somebody might actually act on it and then, you might not be able to hide behind the anonymity of internet. So please, talk to me or somebody else please. I worry about your health.

He's a good doc!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Thank you taunto. xxo!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So..back on topic...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    its more socially acceptable than whipping out your schlong to show what a man you are

I'm confused.

Only men lift weights? Only men drop weights?

When I'm squatting 100# overhead I'm sure as hell not receiving that *kitten* on my shoulders. I'm dropping it. When I'm cleaning more than my body weight, I'm dropping it. Same with snatching.

Oh, and I don't have a schlong.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

My comment was not to show my hatred for her (there is no hatred), but my frustration at her constant tries to make every single thread I've seen her post in about her.

And I have a feeling that talking to you would do absolutely nothing to improve my mental state, Taunto. But I'm still up for it, I am sure it would be interesting.

Frustration, hatred. Potato, potato (damn, that doesn't work in text, does it?)

Regardless, keep your frustration to yourself. Like I said, somethings are between friends and since you weren't really involved and like you repeatedly said, nobody cares (except you I suppose?) then why even bother?

You will be surprised btw. Sometimes, it takes a psycho to bring out the sanity in one.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    They ve managed to bend the dumbells at my gym...

Its always the attention seeking numb nutts that have an "invisible" male member on their foreheads

Lol. Classic ignorance.

Certain exercises require it because you can hurt your back or shoulders. Certain Olympic lifts, such as the snatch, require that when you're finished, you throw down the weight. There's no proper way to finish that lift nicely. If you do, you break form and can get hurt. There are many gyms that allow throwing the weight because its proper.

Yay for snatches. And that's why they make bumper plates.

If you're at a gym like mine and they're using steel weights and throwing them down to the ground directly in front of your feet or in the doorway...well...they're just being ****s. But mostly because the gym needs better equipment and more space...

that being said I see guys be dramatic and throwing things needlessly all the time.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    its more socially acceptable than whipping out your schlong to show what a man you are

I'm confused.

When I'm squatting 100# overhead I'm sure as hell not receiving that *kitten* on my shoulders. I'm dropping it. When I'm cleaning more than my body weight, I'm dropping it. Same with snatching.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these to put on my bike:
    http://www.bullsballs.com/bike/accessories.html
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

Looks down.

Yep... no clock minus l.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

Looks down.

Yep... no clock minus l.

Was at the gym on Friday with one of the crossfit girls dropping her bar from full OHP height to bounce on the rubberized floor, run over to the pullup bar and knock a few of those out, run back to the barbell, rinse repeat. Nope, only guys drop barbells.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these to put on my bike:
    http://www.bullsballs.com/bike/accessories.html

YES!
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    "throw down" is a rather grandiose term for dropping
    sometimes it happens and if you're not in PF nobody should care

it's a gym ffs, there's some huffin and banging but that doesn't mean anything
    keep calm ladies, it's just some iron

ladies?

what is that supposed to mean?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.
    Ironic coming from someone whose workout is all posturing.:laugh:

Why are you picking on Carlo? Carlos? He might have different goals than you. Yoga planches are not that easy.

I think you missed the joke.

O5GvQdv.gif

That might the best "missing the joke" gif I've seen. Stolen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    "throw down" is a rather grandiose term for dropping
    sometimes it happens and if you're not in PF nobody should care

it's a gym ffs, there's some huffin and banging but that doesn't mean anything
    keep calm ladies, it's just some iron

ladies?

what is that supposed to mean?

deadlift-women.jpg

Amanda%203.jpg

1f6c9-barbie_barbell.jpg

Don't think the ladies are worried about iron
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    O5GvQdv.gif

...no Yogis were harmed in the making of this gif. :laugh:

anyways - back on topic hopefully. I haven't been weight-lifting for some years (you know what I prefer and I won't go on aboudit!) but when I was I focussed on the big three and loved to deadlift.

What I found though was my grip would start to go long before my back strength and so it would have made sense at max weights to drop the bar while still good rather than try to place it down with my grip failing. Only at max 1 rep or nearabouts though - not every workout, every set.

But yeah - safer to drop in a controlled manner than to fail to grip on the way down.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Found a good crossfit video for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzibHZOPts

OMG SO RUDE! :laugh:

Edit: More weight dropping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lB8VmnAbIdM#t=188s
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Next up on MFP: "Why do some people feel the need to shoot guns in a loud fashion?"
    When I go to the gun range people make all kinds of noise shooting guns and it bothers me. Why can't everyone use a silencer?

Followed by: "Why can't those people tiptoe on the treadmill instead of slapping their feet down? It's so intimidating!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Found a good crossfit video for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzibHZOPts

OMG SO RUDE! :laugh:

Edit: More weight dropping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lB8VmnAbIdM#t=188s

Barbarians, all of them. Clearly, their parents failed to raise them with appropriate manners.

(But seriously, compelling ad for crossfit in that video. :drinker: )