WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I swear by benadryl (diphenhydramine) for getting a good night's sleep. It is an antihistamine, with the side effect of sleepiness, and is safe to take every night, and won't interact with other meds. It is the sleep med of choice for psychiatric hospitals.

Sylvia, even though I am an advocate for "special" people, I agree with you on the young man's "art". You are not doing him a service letting him think that he has talent enough to join an artist coop. I know many "special" people who truly do have talent and no chance to develop it. But it sounds like his parents have tried to find something positive that he does (a strength so to speak) and have created a bad situation. It is similar to my cousin. He was significantly retarded and had epilepsy. Well, his parents (dad was a chem prof) ONLY told him he had epilepsy but also told him he could not have any relationship with the opposite sex. When his folks died and I took over his care, since I believe that denying anyone the right to have a sex life is a human rights issue, I tried to introduce him to some ladies of his IQ level. He would have nothing to do with them but tried to flirt with their staff! So he lost out on the chance he had for a relationship. His parents thought they were doing him a service by not telling him he was "slow" but it backfired. This is actually becoming quite common- talking up someone with no talent to give them a feeling of self-confidence. (The every kid gets a medal for participating thing.) Would you make a trip to the Louvre if they started displaying coloring book pages? I don't think so. It is a "nice" thing to do, but it is wrong. Maybe you could direct the folks that want to include him to have an art fair for special needs people in a different venue. Iowa City has done that- during the annual art fair with tents for different artists to sell their work, one is set aside for "special" art. I bought a primitive painting of a covered bridge there that was done by a paralyzed painter holding the brush in his mouth. It wasn't great art, but I wanted to support his efforts. Or they could direct their desire to do something to help "special" people by providing art supplies, helping frame artwork, or teaching a class, or.... Just my humble opinion.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm thinking I might fit in a full post today. :smiley:

I had a really horrid 10 days or so of eating and I'm not really sure of the trigger for it. I don't know if others of you do this, but it was really like I was punishing myself with food--I ate until I was literally sick. I didn't even go out into the sunshine and warm weather we had. Again, it was like I was punishing myself. If anyone has any insights, PLEASE share. I was miserable physically and emotionally.

This week, I've had a stomach bug so, even though it was really bad, I hope it dealt with some of the damage from the overeating I had done.

Kimses - I am so proud of you for landing a new job!

Rori - I'm glad you are feeling better!

Sylvia - You have been put into a rough spot. Personally, I think you should stick to your guns, so I guess you can add me to the group of kicking puppies. I'm glad you got to see you granddaughter for at least a little bit.

Michele - I'm glad you're enjoying your time in Florida. I wouldn't mind being somewhere a bit warmer (and a lot less windy)!

I feel like I've been spinning my wheels in life for the past few months. I'm trying hard to come out of it. Maybe I need to look up a "vision board" and see if that might help.

Thanks to all of you for being here!!

Carol in NC

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I swear by benadryl (diphenhydramine) for getting a good night's sleep. It is an antihistamine, with the side effect of sleepiness, and is safe to take every night, and won't interact with other meds. It is the sleep med of choice for psychiatric hospitals.

Thank you Miriam. I just said to my husband we need to scope out the sleep aid aisle at Walmart on our next trip. I am desperate for some quality sleep. I will look into this for sure!

Cheri
    oHIo
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Janetr, maybe we could all strive to be Pips in what's left of THIS life. I'd love to be a Pip. Maybe Pip could give lessons.
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! This has been a busy place! I have been reading, but not posting. Not enough time! I do envy those of you that have some time to post. And to those of you that have time to exercise and walk the dogs - you make me green with envy!!!! I'm too busy taking care of people, working, taking care of people, working, taking care of people, working, etc. etc. etc. I think you get it.

I have been trying the wall - desk - bed rail push-ups this week. That doesn't take much time and I can feel the benefits of it in my chest and arms. Still trying to walk at lunch, but some days that's not working out.

Have a great day!

Donna in wet and gloomy WV

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Alison: Enjoy the Garth Brooks/Trisha Yearwood concert. I hope you and tom have a good time. She has a cooking show on the Cooking Channel & I've seen it once or twice. She seems like a nice person but her food is way too rich for me. :ohwell:

Penny: Great advice. It will be good to see your posts when you have more time to visit. :flowerforyou:

KJLaMore: The smilies and other cheery little icons were part of the site with the previous owners. I saved the codes for them onto a word document so that I can still use them. There are other sites on the net for free smileys. Have a look and you'll find all kinds of fun. :smiley:

Heather: Congratulations on seeing your unborn grandbaby's scan. Your DDIL sounds like a wonderful person. :flowerforyou: I'm curious about your brother's injections for his eyes. DH has had type 1 diabetes for 50 years. He also had a stroke that impacted his vision. Luckily, he can still see well enough to drive with glasses and has taken good care of his eyes all along. :heart:

Betty: I love the term "poofland!" Thanks! :laugh:

Cheri: Your sleep issues are puzzling. Do you have personal habits that would tend to jazz you up at night. I'm a coffeeholic, but do not have any after noon or I'd have sleep trouble. Even decaf is not completely caffeine free. Tea can have as much or more caffeine, depending on the variety, and chocolate is also high in caffeine. Good luck figuring it out. :flowerforyou:

Leonora: I'm so sorry your DDIL left you out of an important event in DGD's life. :sad:

Sylvia: You are in a challenging spot with the new coop. I have no advice, but wish you luck. There probably needs to be a private discussion among the organizers. :flowerforyou:

Irish Terri: It is good to see your post today. I hope you'll be here more often. :smiley:

Pip: I loved your post to Kat in CO, particularly the idea of a play-list of music that is at the right tempo to help you keep rhythm. What a great idea! That might work well with biking too. :heart:

We are making plans for DD and the DGC to come for a visit some time in May. DD wants to bring us her cat, who is not happy with the move to Illinois. The kitty has been raised with two dogs, but now there are three dogs. We will have to say no. We have our hands full taking care of each other and the dog. The last cat we had belonged to our son, and he got into poison while staying with us. I don't want to face a situation like that again and neither does DH. :noway: :sad:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Janetr, maybe we could all strive to be Pips in what's left of THIS life. I'd love to be a Pip. Maybe Pip could give lessons.

Good idea, as you can see I procrastinate lol. I did start weight resistance training tho and am proud of myself. I've never tried it before in my life. Going out on a limb here.

Janetr okc
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm on my lunch break at my sub job. I had to turn wireless off and use my data to post from my phone because the forum is blocked by the firewall. I'm worse than the kids - figuring a work around!

All this talk of wall push-ups reminds me of a funny story. We did circuits on Tuesday. One of our exercises was calf raises. DH and I were at the gym together, he on the treadmill, I in the exercise room doing circuits. When we got home, he said, "I peeked in there to see what you were doing, but it looked like you were making out with the mirror."

Hopefully I'll have time to at least walk when I get home today, and maybe a few wall push-ups and calf raises in honor of you guys.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Katla - I don't know much about it, but I do know he has had two operations to repair his retinas. He just described them as "injections in my eyes to help the retinas hold on" .
    My DDIL is amazing and I have learnt a lot from her. A tiny little thing with a real presence. Great sense of self and her boundaries in the best sense, all with being very charming. I have learnt to be able to make good choices for myself without feeling guilty - it's a great skill to have, but it took me until I was in my sixties to begin learning it. Paradoxically it makes life easier for all concerned because everyone knows where they stand with you. Well done for saying no to the cat. :flowerforyou:

About to have Hairy Bikers for dinner with our weekly bottle of wine. :D I am also reading their autobiography at the moment, which is full of lots of soap opera moments, some of them very moving. :'(

My friend and I are going to go out for lunch next Wednesday. Hooray! :drinker:

Heather UK

PS - just treated myself to an expensive (for me) dress on line. Got 10% off. It's navy and white horizontal stripes, which I would NEVER have worn in my fat days! :noway:
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I agree, Exermom. My go-to breakfast on work days is a protein shake.
    my "usual" is 1/4 steel cut oats, 1/2c 1% milk and a fiber bar.

the protein shake for me is a lunch thing, not a pre done one, the kind you make youself, I keep the crap at work

I make my own too, but I have to use a blender. I can't stand it when the protein powder isn't fully incorporated and I can't seem to accomplish that with a spoon. I also like to add flax seed, half a frozen banana, and/or almond butter, which is even more difficult without a blender. ;) What kind of pp do you like? I love Jay Robb whey.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Good morning! I'm thinking I might fit in a full post today. :smiley:

I had a really horrid 10 days or so of eating and I'm not really sure of the trigger for it. I don't know if others of you do this, but it was really like I was punishing myself with food--I ate until I was literally sick. I didn't even go out into the sunshine and warm weather we had. Again, it was like I was punishing myself. If anyone has any insights, PLEASE share. I was miserable physically and emotionally.

I feel like I've been spinning my wheels in life for the past few months. I'm trying hard to come out of it. Maybe I need to look up a "vision board" and see if that might help.

Thanks to all of you for being here!!

Carol in NC

Carol I have punished myself with food most of my life, eating past the point of full to the point of pain. I was a picky eater as a kid, ate only pasta and bread. My mom was quite strict, if I didn't eat what was served, I went hungry, so the nights when pasta was served I loaded up and ate as if I would never have food again....I mean food belly sticking out! I think that taught me how to overeat.

I'm sure there is more to it, but I binge ate my way through college with all the stress. Anyway, I finally realized I couldn't do that and it started to be less frequent as I aged into my 30s. Now is it an occasional occurrence because I rely on strategies: like portioning, freezing, not buying junk food for the house, keeping my wallet in the trunk so I can't get drive thru., exercise (which I don't like) and of course, the biggest reason to change this destructive eating......my health was deteriorating and I was on a path to having a lot of prescriptions to control things and that was a bridge too far!!! Food is Fuel, move forward.

Let me know about your research on "vision boards" I am just starting out myself.
    Karen from NY
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DJ- Great Job on the push-ups! Today I am doing eight sets of 10. I add an extra set each day until Sunday around the clock which will be 10 sets of 10 for 100! Spread them out throughout the day kind of helps to stretch out my back.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cheri, thanks for your input. I really value your opinion because

a. I know that you are devoted to those with special needs and would not advise anything that was against their best interests.

b. You agree with me.

It's hard for me to put things into words sometimes so they sound logical and not just mean. If it were me, and my stuff was on display somewhere that it was not up to par, I would be humiliated when people played it up like it was wonderful. I don't want to set him up to public ridicule or laugh at him behind his back (people can be mean), and I don't want to bring down the value of everyone else's hard work with the misconception that we were helping him feel good about himself. I can see that backfiring. I can't help but wonder what his mother was thinking.

Thanks,

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Stick to your original vision. Be strong. You have every right to keep this for the talented. Don't get railroaded out of it. You are not a charity for the disadvantaged. Just decline gracefully. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    sweeping up all the adrenaline, the stress, newbies mental baggage...............
    =)
    =)///////////////////////&
    =)

ok that is a broom...a really pathetic one!!!
    Lighting a scented candle, and lighting a stick of incense.

Becca
    domestic engineer
    Goddess and Diva
    Mental Momma in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wait.....my = and ) turned into smiley faces!!!!! bwahahahahaha
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sylvia - Has your coop decided that maybe a 'child's corner' might be something you could consider? Maybe charge them less for the space? Would any of the other artists be willing, maybe on a Saturday - to teach the kids drawing/coloring, etc. It doesn't take a genius to teach someone how using another color (opposite the color wheel) to make shadows and how to make shadows on the table or up in the air if the cartoon character is flying; making them look 3-D instead of just coloring in a color they choose. First lesson would be for them to make their own 'color wheel' and why you add the use the opposite color as the shadow. Personally, I think by saying 'no' to him, you are maybe keeping him from knowing what 'art' in general is. Teaching a little 'art history' would also help. Would you turn down Picasso with all his recent art? He used to draw/paint up to the standards of the times; until he rebelled and showed that some of his 'newer' stuff was still considered 'art'. Some 'special needs' people only take someone who will take the time to give him information and he can decide if he still wants to stay in the coop. You might find that there is a group of people who like childish art. It's no different than some of the Picasso's art or African art. Maybe put up a roll of freezer wrapping paper along two walls and let the children draw on it; then use it as a banner to advertise a show. We have a museum in Albany that has a child's room; where they can touch and feel and draw. They've had touch and feel shows. Now that is interesting to me. I've always wanted to 'touch' a painting ... helps me figure out what they are using. Last time there was a 'do not touch' sign up; only made me want to do so. It was 'wet'. Personally, I would have been furious to have bought a painting that was that wet. I blame the 'artist' for showing it still wet to touch. I realize that you probably don't have a separate room; but, maybe just a corner with a couple of child's tables. Just a suggestion. You never know what a child's mind is working on in their own minds. Make a box with screen on top and put some leaves under it; and use a toothbrush to rub across the screen and when you are finished, you have a pretty outline with the leaves outlined in color; or use the leave and paint color on one side and turn it over and press it into the paper. Children (or 'childlike' people) like to do things like this. Set up a projector and let them draw the outline of someone and color in the face. A child (or someone with 'special needs' should not be discouraged in the learning steps they take. Would you do any less for your own child?

You might find that his 'artistic' powers might be in another genre. My parents were so very supportive of my art, some came from coloring books - I stayed within the lines at a really young age - from the time I was in nursery school - about 3 years old. They were hung in the back closed-in stairwell and I had control over which one got hung and which ones got taken down and/or moved to be replaced with newer ones. I got to show them to my friends and the parents of my friends. My parents saw potential in me when I drew a toy wind-up penguin at my great-aunts house. Being a 'special needs' child - maybe his parents think 'staying within the lines' shows that, with a little help from 'real' artists, he could get better. My parents tried to find an art teacher for me after I drew this penguin; nobody would take me until I was much older. A family friend took me in at the age of 6 1/2 years old; and I painted whatever she had set up for me. She showed me where I could improve and praised me when I finished working on my art piece. I just got upset when I had to leave them there for them to dry. In HS, I took art from a man who did portraits for a living (in Crayola Color Crayons). While he would not 'teach' his technique; we could watch him for hours (after our paid lesson time). His portraits were expensive; and, he had a waiting line for a year out.

I went on to 'art school' in Atlanta; although I really wanted to go to Sarasota (until I realized how far away from home I'd be); then I met my husband and that became my priority. I took an online drawing lesson when my DOS said to me, 'only REAL artists draw in pencil'. I've given him two pictures of 'drawings' and he has never said that to me since. You never know what other artists could teach this young man if he had someone showing him how to improve his work; and, how to draw them in his own hand and not from a coloring book. Sounds like he has a very 'special' mother who is trying to find him someplace he could spend a little time around 'real' artists and maybe he would get a chance to learn more. You'll be surprised (maybe) if you gave him 1/2 a chance. I'm sorry; but, I have to agree with the ones who vote to let him in. But, that is also IMHO.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I agree, Exermom. My go-to breakfast on work days is a protein shake.
    my "usual" is 1/4 steel cut oats, 1/2c 1% milk and a fiber bar.

the protein shake for me is a lunch thing, not a pre done one, the kind you make youself, I keep the crap at work

I make my own too, but I have to use a blender. I can't stand it when the protein powder isn't fully incorporated and I can't seem to accomplish that with a spoon. I also like to add flax seed, half a frozen banana, and/or almond butter, which is even more difficult without a blender. ;) What kind of pp do you like? I love Jay Robb whey.

mine is close, I use a hand blender too.
    I also use 1/2 frozen banana, don't use milk I use water and I don't use flax seed cuz, haven't bought any, I ran out :0/
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Kimses, congratulations! I just saw where you summarized the advice you'd received, but I'd like to add one more thing. When you start a new job, you're starting a new way of life, really. So you can try to use that "reboot" your life the way you reboot a computer: to get rid of stuff that has been getting in the way. Kick habits that you know you shouldn't have, and add habits you want. Since so much is changing at the same time, including the people around you, you can create a new you. For example, if your new co-workers see that you always go for a walk on your lunch break, never eat the cookies at coffee time, always take the stairs - whatever - they will start to expect that type of behavior from you, and you will start to expect it from yourself. IMHO. So baby steps, but BIG baby steps.

Penny---thanks so much. Rebooting is a great idea. Clean slate. I was swimming today and thinking that "I can do this at 6 am and be on my way to work by 7". Maybe I can be the one that brings in fruit instead of donuts!
    This has got to be easier than spending alternate weeks in New York City.

Swam 40 laps today ... about 35 minutes.

Kat When I've tried to run in the past I always felt like my brain was banging around in my head! And had to wear two exercise bras! Stick with it...I never made it past a mile. Two miles is a long ways so give yourself credit for that. If you've made it that far, you are on your way :) How do your knees feel?

Kimses in MA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I understand where you are all coming from with this man but could you write it into your mission to 'promote' drawing from all walks of life and every couple of months have a showing at a mall, airport,school, etc. like Lenora said, some of the worlds greatest artists have looked a lot less than what we consider art but to some one it is. If he is mentally challenged, he should have every encouragement he can get.

Charlie seems to be walking a little better today but not much. He still needs to walk more though. He isn't moaning as much.

Joyce, Indiana