Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that poor woman. She seems like she's got a great attitude but that's such a crazy story.

I have to admit that I was unsurprised to see the age of the driver, though...

I see these all too often. I know people worry about getting mugged but the most dangerous thing is honestly people in cars.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/01/runner-from-mckinney-boyd-high-school-hospitalized-after-being-hit-by-car.html/

And this is why I run on a running/bicycling trail. Or an indoor track.

So far, the bicyclists have managed to watch where they're going and be courteous with one jerky exception. Evidently, I was supposed to jump off the trail because he decided he didn't want to brake and lose momentum to pass me safely (oncoming bicycle traffic).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that poor woman. She seems like she's got a great attitude but that's such a crazy story.

I have to admit that I was unsurprised to see the age of the driver, though...

I see these all too often. I know people worry about getting mugged but the most dangerous thing is honestly people in cars.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/01/runner-from-mckinney-boyd-high-school-hospitalized-after-being-hit-by-car.html/

And this is why I run on a running/bicycling trail. Or an indoor track.

So far, the bicyclists have managed to watch where they're going and be courteous with one jerky exception. Evidently, I was supposed to jump off the trail because he decided he didn't want to brake and lose momentum to pass me safely (oncoming bicycle traffic).

I was walking near the river one day and there was an old guy there in a large SUV standing outside his vehicle looking rather confused. "This road really gets narrow" he said. "That's because it's a bike path," I informed him. I just have to shake my head sometimes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been hit by cars 3 times (and my daughter once) while cycling - never while running. I try to run in places were sharing the road is less necessary. Don't really consider it a risk, beyond watching my environment.

Having said that - a college roommate was killed while running. Stay safe.

What no one initially told me about running was how much bigger shoe I should REALLY get (people mentioned 1/2 shoe size) - yeah, I got the black toe, etc. and people told me I needed a bigger shoe. The right size shoe for me was a full US size larger than my prior shoes - stopped toe issues and foot cramps cold. In fact, all my shoes have now shifted about half a size up.
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

What the hell, "keep going fatty"? At least you're out there running! So rude :angry:

Believe it or not I actually found it funny. Some people judge and I know I run slow but I'm faster than those who don't go out at all.
  • stealthq
    Options
    I've been hit by cars 3 times (and my daughter once) while cycling - never while running. I try to run in places were sharing the road is less necessary. Don't really consider it a risk, beyond watching my environment.

Having said that - a college roommate was killed while running. Stay safe.

What no one initially told me about running was how much bigger shoe I should REALLY get (people mentioned 1/2 shoe size) - yeah, I got the black toe, etc. and people told me I needed a bigger shoe. The right size shoe for me was a full US size larger than my prior shoes - stopped toe issues and foot cramps cold. In fact, all my shoes have now shifted about half a size up.

Forgot about that. Increased toe splay and, I think possibly more toe stretch in the direction of the length of my foot is making all of my current shoes that once were just fine too short. I'm having to curl my toes in the ones I'm wearing now - and I'm still touching the end :smile:

Going up 1/2 size in my running shoes seems to be good for me so long as I also pick shoes with a particularly wide toe box. Preferably with little to no structure or support in the forefoot.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Needing to go for a wee 1 minute into your run.

You appear to be a guy from your photo, so you don't know how good you have it. There's nowhere for me to discreetly squat and no restrooms on my current daily running path. I basically have to stop drinking and start dehydrating myself ahead of time so I won't have to pee the whole way. Ugh!

Aed0416 wrote: »

Brutal. I have learned that there are some really angry people since I have been road running. I really feel like some drivers try to make you uncomfortable by getting way too close when there is no need for them to do so. Most people are great but some just glare at you and don't give an inch.

I used to run in an industrial park and the worst drivers were people employed by one of the big car insurance companies. So that was kind of ironic. I always assumed they couldn't see me which was an accurate assumption. Had people yell at me out of their cars as they sped by a lot too. The worst though were probably cyclists. A runner's nemesis? One chewed me out after I crossed at an intersection with the 'WALK' sign as he was running a red to make a right turn. I guess because he was on his bike he thought it was okay to make a right turn on red? And I was supposed to right of way to him? Plenty of other times there was a road that had no sidewalks or bike lanes, but the road was pretty wide. I'd be running against traffic and these cyclists would act like I was supposed to go further out into the street not them. Was crazy annoying. I don't have to run in the street anymore so that's nice.
  • blues4miles
    Options
    I should also add some of the awesome/encouraging things. Once I was doing my long run around a park, I think it was 9 or 10 miles which probably took me a little over 2 hours at the time and some guy pulls up when I'm maybe 7 or 8 miles in and says "wow, you're still going? I saw you like an hour ago! you must be running really far!" So that felt cool, thanks guy.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Needing to go for a wee 1 minute into your run.

You appear to be a guy from your photo, so you don't know how good you have it. There's nowhere for me to discreetly squat and no restrooms on my current daily running path. I basically have to stop drinking and start dehydrating myself ahead of time so I won't have to pee the whole way. Ugh!

Aed0416 wrote: »

Brutal. I have learned that there are some really angry people since I have been road running. I really feel like some drivers try to make you uncomfortable by getting way too close when there is no need for them to do so. Most people are great but some just glare at you and don't give an inch.

I used to run in an industrial park and the worst drivers were people employed by one of the big car insurance companies. So that was kind of ironic. I always assumed they couldn't see me which was an accurate assumption. Had people yell at me out of their cars as they sped by a lot too. The worst though were probably cyclists. A runner's nemesis? One chewed me out after I crossed at an intersection with the 'WALK' sign as he was running a red to make a right turn. I guess because he was on his bike he thought it was okay to make a right turn on red? And I was supposed to right of way to him? Plenty of other times there was a road that had no sidewalks or bike lanes, but the road was pretty wide. I'd be running against traffic and these cyclists would act like I was supposed to go further out into the street not them. Was crazy annoying. I don't have to run in the street anymore so that's nice.

Most of my issues have been with people and their dogs. I have had one issue with a guy on a bike before that I thought was humorous. I was running on a muddy trail on the end of a 13+ mile run. I'm talking about less than 100 feet from the end of a 10 mile trail. A muddy trail at that. This was right after a pretty hard rain that morning.

At any rate I was stepping around a couple of huge mud puddles and apparently this guy was trying to pass me. I guess he didn't want to go through the mud puddles either and was trying to pick out the same dry ground that I was. He finally said "on your left" and I stopped and let him pass. As he passed he lets out this sarcastic "Thanks for sharing the road." Maybe it wasn't sarcasm but I read it that way and yelled back "This isn't even a road. It's a dirt trail."

The only other issues I have are these jr high kids that ride bikes to school in the morning. There's a concrete path through this park that's wide enough to drive a truck on and these kids ride at breakneck speed and weave and bob all over the path. Occasionally they just lose control and fall over. I see this a couple times a week. They're so unpredictable that it's spooky.

I don't run on the road. Cars are the worst.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me that it can addictive like hell...started with running 5Ks and now running marathon and half marathon races. Nobody told me that I would come up with tons of excusses why I need to buy new running shoes...started with one old pair and am now circulating between 8 (!) different pairs of running shoes - leave alone all the different jackets, running pants, hydration belts... Nobody told me that after a miserable start I would get to love running and can't imagine doing anything better than that (...well...with some exceptions). Many more "nobody told me"- but I am sure others have already added enough.
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    How much of it is mental.

Seriously, a bad mental space can totally ruin or stall a run for me.
  • hadley099
    hadley099 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ive heard it can be bad for your knees.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hadley099 wrote: »

That's one of the things. Lots of non runners tell you it's bad for your knees....

:)
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I suspect you are going too fast and pushing yourself too hard. Not every run should be something that kills you. In fact, majority of your runs should be at an 'easy' pace.

I run12 min miles - that's essentially a walking pace. Old ladies run faster than me....though you could still be right.

• brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How good I'd become at multiplying by 60. Lol always counting down how many more seconds I have to go.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That your uterus might fall out. :p
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That my dog is not a dog who will run with me

Sure, if I were a squirrel he'd run a 2 minute mile, but try to get him to jog round the park and he stands there, *kitten* his head to one side and looks at me like "WTF you doin?"

Dumbest dog evah

C.o.c.k.s. His head is a goddam *kitten* phrase

May be you need a border colli dog...
  • stealthq
    Options
    hadley099 wrote: »

More recent studies are showing fewer knee problems in long time runners than non-runners. So, it's not automatically bad and may in general be good. Certainly there will be people whose anatomy is not suited to running - and a bad choice of shoes can probably do anyone in.
  • blues4miles
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »

I suspect you are going too fast and pushing yourself too hard. Not every run should be something that kills you. In fact, majority of your runs should be at an 'easy' pace.

I run12 min miles - that's essentially a walking pace. Old ladies run faster than me....though you could still be right.

Right. I don't know your physical fitness or your weight or anything...but currently obese and only being at this (again) for a couple months I am running 15 minute-miles (or shuffling, if you will). When I was just overweight and not obese and training for a half marathon most of my long runs were still at 13 minute-miles. So 12mm might seem slow...but it might not be for everyone. I don't think there are any old ladies walking 12minute-miles, that is pretty quick. B)

If you have an HRM you can use that as a guideline...but the best thing is the 'talk test'. You should be able to carry on a conversation while you jog. If you can't, you're running too fast. Doesn't have to be super easy and you might be breaking it up to breathe properly, but you should still be able to talk to someone. If you can't, running too fast.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Clarewho wrote: »
    The heckling - I never knew that was a thing before :lol:

Heckling and catcalling are two different things.

Agreed, but just personally, I've had friends be rude/mocking about running more than I've ever been catcalled.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also I wish but don't wish someone had warned me about the toenails thing sooner. I had no idea until I was training for maybe my second or third half and got one. :)