What nobody told you about running.

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    The only other issues I have are these jr high kids that ride bikes to school in the morning. There's a concrete path through this park that's wide enough to drive a truck on and these kids ride at breakneck speed and weave and bob all over the path. Occasionally they just lose control and fall over. I see this a couple times a week. They're so unpredictable that it's spooky.

That would drive me batty. Sometimes in the park I run in there will be families and little kids on the path. I always move to the side, same as you would when walking to share the path. But sometimes boys, from about 3 to 9 or 10, decide they want to play chicken with me and will move to whatever side I move to until I have to go off the path. This is not a behavior I've seen in girls, and once the boys get older/become teenagers they tend not to do it anymore. Sometimes the younger ones will turn around and try to race me which is kind of cute. I am pretty slow when I jog so a little kid can no problem out-sprint me.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That one day you will come to think of a short run as 3 miles.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    That one day you will come to think of a short run as 3 miles.

Or better yet, recovery!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been hit by cars 3 times (and my daughter once) while cycling - never while running. I try to run in places were sharing the road is less necessary. Don't really consider it a risk, beyond watching my environment.

Having said that - a college roommate was killed while running. Stay safe.

What no one initially told me about running was how much bigger shoe I should REALLY get (people mentioned 1/2 shoe size) - yeah, I got the black toe, etc. and people told me I needed a bigger shoe. The right size shoe for me was a full US size larger than my prior shoes - stopped toe issues and foot cramps cold. In fact, all my shoes have now shifted about half a size up.

Good point. My fitted running shoes were 1.5 sizes larger than my normal shoes...and after running for a while, I needed to buy even larger shoes (both running and other)...which seemed weird to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    hadley099 wrote: »
    ive heard it can be bad for your knees.

That's one of the things. Lots of non runners tell you it's bad for your knees....

:)

Those who don't lift or who skip leg day say the same thing about squats.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

More recent studies are showing fewer knee problems in long time runners than non-runners. So, it's not automatically bad and may in general be good. Certainly there will be people whose anatomy is not suited to running - and a bad choice of shoes can probably do anyone in.

Sounds like a study commissioned by Brooks or Saucony.

Don't trust BigRunning!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

That's one of the things. Lots of non runners tell you it's bad for your knees....

Or that squatting below parallel is bad when in fact the lower the better for the knees.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

More recent studies are showing fewer knee problems in long time runners than non-runners. So, it's not automatically bad and may in general be good. Certainly there will be people whose anatomy is not suited to running - and a bad choice of shoes can probably do anyone in.

Don't trust BigRunning!

Pfft. They're not near big enough.

Had to be Nike. I think there was even a swoosh in the header.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Or that squatting below parallel is bad when in fact the lower the better for the knees.

I see we have another member of BigOrtho in this thread.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I see we have another member of BigOrtho in this thread.

I may have some stock... ;)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Don't trust BigRunning!

I do think it's a squeaky wheel issue. If a runner hurts their knee and can't run they'll probably be super grumpy and complaining to anyone within earshot about how they injured and really wish they are running. But a lot of obese folks (okay maybe not a lot, i'm not trying to generalize, but many) just see their knee/back stuff as chronic issues that CAUSE their obesity, not as something caused BY their obesity. And since they don't exercise, they are less likely to complain about it holding them back until it affects their mobility going to and from the car or whatever.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to be losing weight and needing smaller running pants, but it's super annoying not to realize it until you spend 30 minutes jogging and trying to hike your pants back up without messing with your pace or breathing.

Good thing I just bought a new smaller pair, because this morning's pair are retired!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have to share this with some fellow runners in hopes that you will laugh too! This time of year the sidewalks are icy, especially with the melting going on, so I tend to stick to the neighborhood roads. I got to the downtown area where the sidewalks are usually fine & well...they weren't and the road there was far too busy to safely run on with snow banks taking up the shoulder. I planned on going over one block then heading up the road the other way, cue the HUGE puddle. No big deal, I've run through deep puddles before, wet feet never stopped me. But ice under the puddle...yeah that will. I took one step into it and literally went down face first hands stretched out and slid like I was on a slip n' slide! I got up and lunged with my hands up like Molly Shannon in Superstar. I was SOAKING wet! There was a guy walking right behind me, cars passing & people in the store right there staring. I was mortified but laughed and kept going. Ripped up the palm of my hand & had to cut my run a tad short because I was starting to freeze. I've still got a serious runners high though :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Wish someone had told me I will have no idea what size race shirt to order. Just because a medium works at one race, does not mean it will be at all close at the next one.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My lower body is so toned and strong from it but really no big changes in upper body. I love running but hate strength training so I'm working on that.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Who knew a shirt seam could do so much damage?!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love that in the mid-distance I fell like flying. A couple of kms before finish I keep pushing myself for faster time. Also I hate nipple pain, one of the things I wasn't expected xD
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to be losing weight and needing smaller running pants, but it's super annoying not to realize it until you spend 30 minutes jogging and trying to hike your pants back up without messing with your pace or breathing.

Good thing I just bought a new smaller pair, because this morning's pair are retired!

this for sure. I just bought a fitbelt to keep my keys in and currently it is holding me in like a girdle it is so tight - but I'm expecting it to loosen in time.