• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    90% mental
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Laundry.
    If you are going to run you better learn to love laundry unless you're into that funky locker room scent. Socks, leggings, fleece lined tights, sports bras, dri-wic tops, running jackets, gloves, knit caps, running belt. Its 15 degrees outside and you just sweated through 3 loads. I swear I generate enough dirty clothes in a week to rival a family of 4. :#
  • heatherdear18
    heatherdear18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. Now, after only a few months, I am able to run 8+Kms. This is what I've learned:
    1. Have the right shoes
    2. It is all mind over matter
    3. Do not run everyday, or you will get shin splints
    4. The way you breathe is HUGE! In through your nose, out through your mouth, in through your nose, out through your mouth
    5. Pace yourself, you're going to be tired of you start off super fast. Gradually gain speed
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    People leave the strangest things on the side of the road. Seriously, one shoe?
    Guys get heckled too. One guy yelled at me "keep going fatty you can do it"
    It sucks to run by the donut shop at 6am. Had to change my route to avoid smelling that.
    That I'd learn to love to run.
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Running is good for my soul. Always has been. I run to rock music, lets me channel my inner rock star.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    People leave the strangest things on the side of the road. Seriously, one shoe?
    Guys get heckled too. One guy yelled at me "keep going fatty you can do it"
    It sucks to run by the donut shop at 6am. Had to change my route to avoid smelling that.
    That I'd learn to love to run.

What the hell, "keep going fatty"? At least you're out there running! So rude :angry:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. Now, after only a few months, I am able to run 8+Kms. This is what I've learned:
    1. Have the right shoes
    2. It is all mind over matter
    3. Do not run everyday, or you will get shin splints
    4. The way you breathe is HUGE! In through your nose, out through your mouth, in through your nose, out through your mouth
    5. Pace yourself, you're going to be tired of you start off super fast. Gradually gain speed

All of this. Bought my first pair of running shoes last weekend, and it made a huge difference! My body can do more than my mind thinks it can.

I alternate running with Circuit training with a kettlebell.

Breathing and pacing are huge....I'm still working on finding the right pace.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I was surprised by how welcoming and supportive the running community is.
    This! I'm the slowest of the slow runners, without fail I'll meet a good runner who'll give me a thumbs up or say "good job", or "keep it Up'. It always leaves me with such a good feeling!.

^^ This and this. I've only just got back into running again after many years, i've joined a local club who are doing the Zero-5K programme and I also go out on my own in between club sessions, and everyone is so welcoming. Whether it's been the guys at the club, who are all so encouraging, or when i'm crawling along by myself like I was last night, there's always another runner who goes by and gives the nod/thumbs up/or an enthusiastic "hello!". It gives you a real sense of community.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    No one told me how much I would loathe it. Had to figure that out on my own. After running two minutes in my first and only 5k I turned to my friend and said "After this, I'm never running again". I pretty much stuck to my word.

This.
    Except that I still make myself run twice a week for 2 miles, because it seems to help with lifting.
    Not sure how people love it. Maybe I'll change one day. Or maybe there are runners and there are lifters.

Nobody really enjoyed the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.

Man...it takes all sorts of will-power, listening to audiobooks and mental distraction just to get through those 24 agonizing minutes. I'm not sure how I'd go 4 or 5 miles.

I suspect you are going too fast and pushing yourself too hard. Not every run should be something that kills you. In fact, majority of your runs should be at an 'easy' pace.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No one told me how much I would loathe it. Had to figure that out on my own. After running two minutes in my first and only 5k I turned to my friend and said "After this, I'm never running again". I pretty much stuck to my word.

This.
    Except that I still make myself run twice a week for 2 miles, because it seems to help with lifting.
    Not sure how people love it. Maybe I'll change one day. Or maybe there are runners and there are lifters.

Nobody really enjoyed the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.

Man...it takes all sorts of will-power, listening to audiobooks and mental distraction just to get through those 24 agonizing minutes. I'm not sure how I'd go 4 or 5 miles.

I suspect you are going too fast and pushing yourself too hard. Not every run should be something that kills you. In fact, majority of your runs should be at an 'easy' pace.

I've heard 80/20 is a good mix, 80% of runs at low intensity and 20% at high intensity. I just think the first 2 miles sucks period. I find my negative split on a 10K is pretty insane and I end up doing the firt 5K in around 26 mins and the second in around 23. My fastest 5K is 23:09 but that's killing me and if I do that in the second 5K it's not bad. Guess it's all about getting that aerobic system warmed up!
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Needing to go for a wee 1 minute into your run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Brutal. I have learned that there are some really angry people since I have been road running. I really feel like some drivers try to make you uncomfortable by getting way too close when there is no need for them to do so. Most people are great but some just glare at you and don't give an inch.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, that poor woman. She seems like she's got a great attitude but that's such a crazy story.

I have to admit that I was unsurprised to see the age of the driver, though...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that poor woman. She seems like she's got a great attitude but that's such a crazy story.

We had case in my home town where an 67 year old woman backed her car, full speed, into a family at a Costco (through the entrance no less) killing a toddler and causing the mother to have a miscarriage. As soon as I heard it I told my mother, whom I was visiting at the time, that I knew that it was an old woman even before the details were released. My mother is the same age and she would drive like that too. :weary:
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Mentally, it's difficult. Your legs aren't giving out, you aren't gonna pass out or throw up, just keep going. Once you get over this, you're golden.

Also, you're gonna break out in places you didn't even know you could break out. Invest in a good quality body wash.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I see these all too often. I know people worry about getting mugged but the most dangerous thing is honestly people in cars.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/01/runner-from-mckinney-boyd-high-school-hospitalized-after-being-hit-by-car.html/
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I see these all too often. I know people worry about getting mugged but the most dangerous thing is honestly people in cars.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/01/runner-from-mckinney-boyd-high-school-hospitalized-after-being-hit-by-car.html/

I know it, I live in a downtown core and it's one of the reasons I don't mind the treadmill - no one's going to run me over while I'm in the gym at least. I wear neon, watch like crazy when I'm crossing streets, and wear headphones that allow ambient noise in, but I still have close calls often enough that sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with it and prefer to zone out totally and hamster-wheel it.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That 180lbs of flesh, bone, and muscle can somehow threaten drivers inside of their 5000 pound machines, travelling at 40-50mph, to such a degree that they will swerve out of their cozy 12' wide line into a narrow little bike lane, just to get me scare the *kitten* out of me. I wish I wasn't so threatening!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    The heckling - I never knew that was a thing before :lol:

Heckling and catcalling are two different things.