helping to motivate a spouse w/o being an a-hole

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite motivational quotes, from one of my favourite Canadians.

http://addicted2success.com/life/a-space-astronauts-advice-on-following-your-dreams/
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Sorry, she is not being an a-hole. She has to want it for it to happen.
    You said she was overweight when you married. What changed, she is the same person you married Why do you want to change her? She has to want it bad enough to make it so. It is not your decision.

All you can (and should) do is support her and love her. She is an adult, it is her decision. When she wants to change, she will.

we were friends(acquaintances) years before we started dating, and she was very skinny back then. we didn't see each other for awhile and started talking online, and decided to meet up and give dating a try. it was during this time she had gained weight. it wasn't a huge issue, we were still going out, having fun, having great sex, etc. if she had low self esteem then, she didn't act like it. I don't know remember when the turning point was, but it was years ago, and now i have to drag her out of the house to do anything, she just wants to veg on the couch in all her free time, her libido has gone down with her self esteem. back when we were engaged and I was getting ready to leave for boot camp is the first time i can remember her really expressing a desire to lose weight, and it didn't come from me.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You said she was overweight when you married. What changed, she is the same person you married Why do you want to change her? She has to want it bad enough to make it so. It is not your decision.

All you can (and should) do is support her and love her. She is an adult, it is her decision. When she wants to change, she will.

Roger she gets to do what she ways regardless of his wants. He must support and encourage her regardless of his wants. Sounds like a winner.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    Options

and i never said she was being an a-hole, i said i wanted to avoid being one
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of my early ambitions from weight loss was to lean down and pick up something I dropped on the floor. I can't tell you what a thrill it was when I achieved that. My goals are a little more lofty now that I'm no longer beaten down by repeated failure. Now I want to climb a mountain among other things.

By the way, I was over fifty when I finally tackled my weight. Many, many false starts along the way.

Unlike your wife, my self esteem and state of mind has always been in pretty good shape. I suspect your wife's unhappiness has only a glancing relationship with her weight. She is stunningly unmotivated.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @snowflake930 I read the title to be "How can I motivate...without being an a-hole". This is a husband trying to be sensitive.

Sorry, you are right, my mistake, but to my way of thinking, if I knew my husband went on a public forum like this behind my back, I would not be very happy about it. Sorry, but I don't think this is being sensitive to his wife's feelings.

The answer is, you may be able to motivate her by example, keeping comments to yourself, and letting her come to you with questions. Unconditional support and love. She is the woman you married three years ago.

p.s. I have been married for 40 years so I think I know a little about making a marriage work. Thank god I married a man that has loved me all these years the way I am and knew enough to accept and love me the way I am, and trust me, for a lot of those 40 years I was way overweight, not the slim woman he married. Thanks to MFP and my initiative, I am back to the weight I was when we married in 1975. Not one negative comment from him in all those years.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    ... I was getting ready to leave for boot camp is the first time i can remember her really expressing a desire to lose weight, and it didn't come from me.

I think that could be it. You joining the Guard changed you (as it did me), she may have wanted to change some as well, but didn't have the same motivation as you did. Now you are a lot different, and she is the same.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

we were friends(acquaintances) years before we started dating, and she was very skinny back then. we didn't see each other for awhile and started talking online, and decided to meet up and give dating a try. it was during this time she had gained weight. it wasn't a huge issue, we were still going out, having fun, having great sex, etc. if she had low self esteem then, she didn't act like it. I don't know remember when the turning point was, but it was years ago, and now i have to drag her out of the house to do anything, she just wants to veg on the couch in all her free time, her libido has gone down with her self esteem. back when we were engaged and I was getting ready to leave for boot camp is the first time i can remember her really expressing a desire to lose weight, and it didn't come from me.

I'm no doctor, but this sounds like she has a serious depression going on.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lack of motivation
    Loss of libido
    Lethargy
    Anxiety
    Low self esteem/ self worth

All classic signs of depression
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I found out that my husband was airing my dirty laundry on the Internet, I would first be livid. Then hurt, embarrassed and shamed.

This is the only relevant response you need. Seriously, shouldn't you be talking to HER (or a marriage counselor) about this instead of a bunch of internet strangers on a calorie-counting website? She's your wife, man. You loved her enough to marry her, right? We are getting what you say the problem is. Where is she to defend herself and give her side?

If there's one thing I have learned after one failed relationship it's that you cannot change people. They change when they are ready. You either make that work or you don't.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    Options
    yes, she suffers from depression, she will admit that. but i don't know what from, and she doesn't do anything about it. like i said earlier, she tells her shrink everything is fine, gets her meds, and coasts through. a shrink she used to go to told her that exercising would help with depression and anxiety, but she's too depressed and anxious to work out. it is a cycle that i feel will only be broken through her finally deciding to. after three years of not reaching that decision, i don't know what is going to light a fire under her *kitten*. i fear she doesn't have it inside her, and I don't know how to help. the weight loss is the only thing i understand how to do, which is why i tend to focus on that, b/c it is a problem that i've conquered. hell, i even struggled with depression for several months that took a serious toll on me, and it was exercise that pulled me out of it. i don't want y'all to think that my only concern is having a skinny wife. i want the fun girl who liked doing things back. she's told me that her weight has a huge influence on her self esteem, and has admitted that losing weight will help a lot with her other problems, i just wanted advice to help kick start it since it seems to me she might not have it in her. but i will take all your advice to heart, back off and support her (which i do try to do, but i know that even when i don't comment on her decisions, my body language gives my frustration away). i will make a more concerted effort, we will go to counseling, and i will do what i need to do and try not to worry so much about what she is doing (or not doing)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Maybe she needs a medication review?
  • ew_david
    Options
    yes, she suffers from depression, she will admit that. but i don't know what from, and she doesn't do anything about it. like i said earlier, she tells her shrink everything is fine, gets her meds, and coasts through. a shrink she used to go to told her that exercising would help with depression and anxiety, but she's too depressed and anxious to work out. it is a cycle that i feel will only be broken through her finally deciding to. after three years of not reaching that decision, i don't know what is going to light a fire under her *kitten*. i fear she doesn't have it inside her, and I don't know how to help. the weight loss is the only thing i understand how to do, which is why i tend to focus on that, b/c it is a problem that i've conquered. hell, i even struggled with depression for several months that took a serious toll on me, and it was exercise that pulled me out of it. i don't want y'all to think that my only concern is having a skinny wife. i want the fun girl who liked doing things back. she's told me that her weight has a huge influence on her self esteem, and has admitted that losing weight will help a lot with her other problems, i just wanted advice to help kick start it since it seems to me she might not have it in her. but i will take all your advice to heart, back off and support her (which i do try to do, but i know that even when i don't comment on her decisions, my body language gives my frustration away). i will make a more concerted effort, we will go to counseling, and i will do what i need to do and try not to worry so much about what she is doing (or not doing)

Is she putting forth any effort in ANY aspect of her life and your marriage? Any at all?
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    If I found out that my husband was airing my dirty laundry on the Internet, I would first be livid. Then hurt, embarrassed and shamed.

This is the only relevant response you need. Seriously, shouldn't you be talking to HER (or a marriage counselor) about this instead of a bunch of internet strangers on a calorie-counting website? She's your wife, man. You loved her enough to marry her, right? We are getting what you say the problem is. Where is she to defend herself and give her side?

If there's one thing I have learned after one failed relationship it's that you cannot change people. They change when they are ready. You either make that work or you don't.

every time i try to breach the subject with her, she sees it as attacking and closes up and won't talk to me. this is anonymous, y'all don't know me from adam or her for that matter. i'm sure she complains about me being an a-hole to her friends, and if she went to www.myhusbandisana-hole.com/blog to complain about me, i wouldn't have a problem with it. i've gotten some good advice on here, mostly about what i need to change about me, and that's what i was looking for.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I was okay with the original question when the OP had no avi. I think it's good to try to talk with her but it sounds like he has and now he's trying to get input/ideas from others because what he's done hasn't helped. However, now his avi is up and it makes it less of an anonymous plea for help.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i want the fun girl who liked doing things back.... i will take all your advice to heart, back off and support her (which i do try to do, but i know that even when i don't comment on her decisions, my body language gives my frustration away). i will make a more concerted effort, we will go to counseling, and i will do what i need to do and try not to worry so much about what she is doing (or not doing)

I think you've got a good plan. Good Luck.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Maybe she needs a medication review?

and i've encouraged her to talk to her shrink about it. she even invited me to her last session so i could tell her shrink what she is too afraid to say.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Is she putting forth any effort in ANY aspect of her life and your marriage? Any at all?

no, and that's why i'm so frustrated. she wants a better job, and has been encouraged at work to take a couple drafting courses, but she keeps making excuses to put that off. i tell her that i need more affection (not just sex), and it lasts a day or two, then dwindles back down to her spending our time together on our phone.
  • ew_david
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

no, and that's why i'm so frustrated. she wants a better job, and has been encouraged at work to take a couple drafting courses, but she keeps making excuses to put that off. i tell her that i need more affection (not just sex), and it lasts a day or two, then dwindles back down to her spending our time together on our phone.

Sorry, dude. There's only so much of that people can tolerate. I hope it gets better, but at some point you're gonna have to decide if you want to stay on a sinking ship.