Eating clean? What does it really mean?

Options
I have some questions. I am 4'11 and about 101 lbs. I could stand to lose about 5 lbs. I eat 1200 a day. Need to weightlift more (right now about once aweek...bad), but do some pretty intense cardio.

I do not eat anything processed but I eat well...in that I like wine, good chocolate, cheese, sushi, curries. Most of our food is made from scratch.

To strip off this last bit of fat do I need to cut the wine, sugar, carbs? My gluten intolrant husband does most of our cooking so I usually just eat what he gives me...he is very good at it. But I am thinking I may need to take charge of my food to lose.

I once stopped eating bad carbs in at dinner (rice, potatos, pasta) and weight fell off me. I was hoping keeping at 1200 with lots of cardio would be enough but it has been about 5 weeks now and very little progress.

Food seems to be where I fall down. Any advice you have would be great. Oh...I should also note, I don't eat meat...but I do eat fish, eggs.

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You only eat as soon as you get out of the shower, and your food must be freshly washed as well.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Rant,
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i think eating clean only really matters if you have serious fitness goals. as long as you are on you calorie controlled method then it doeesnt really matter what you eat, as long as you get the right amount of calories.

eating clean is just basically eating anything that doesnt have stuff added like preservatives and flavorings etc, anything natural. i eat clean because i find i run faster and have more energy when i have veg than i do when i eat burgers and fries.

if your weightloss has stalled then maybe try doing some different cardio, maybe zumba or body combat, just something different that gets you to move in a different way rather than spending an hour or the bicycle or xtrainer. also try incorporating some weight training
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You only eat as soon as you get out of the shower, and your food must be freshly washed as well.

This!
  • ryandeceptacon
    ryandeceptacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It means persons glorifying such a ludicrous term are about as pretentious as they come (in my experience).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means nothing at all. It's one more complication that doesn't actually affect weight loss, body composition, or health metrics. Forget you ever heard it and worry about the stuff that actually matters (calories, protein, fat, fiber, exercise time, etc)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    In the body building world of means there are foods which contribute to the building of lean mass and do not contribute to body fat accumulation.

From there it's the typical nothing processed...(except protein powder by the bucketloads)

In fact protein powder is typically the one highly processed food that seems to be accepted by everyone.

But in the bodybuilding world, anything with sugar, high glycemic index, or vegetable oils are "crap".

I'd honestly not been exposed to this "organic" only definition of clean until I got here.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It means persons glorifying such a ludicrous term are about as pretentious as they come (in my experience).

^^^ This. As soon as someone starts telling me they're so fabulously healthy because they eat "clean" I start walking the other way.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    never go A2.........nm.........Dont eat processed foods.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Try weightlifting about 3 times a week for a few months and see what happens. If nothing, then adjust your diet.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    your most likely underestimating your husbands home cooked meals.. he is probably not worried about calories or measuring things he puts into the food, thus your getting extra calories that way. Just my guess.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I have some questions. I am 4'11 and about 101 lbs. I could stand to lose about 5 lbs. I eat 1200 a day. Need to weightlift more (right now about once aweek...bad), but do some pretty intense cardio.

I do not eat anything processed but I eat well...in that I like wine, good chocolate, cheese, sushi, curries. Most of our food is made from scratch.

To strip off this last bit of fat do I need to cut the wine, sugar, carbs? My gluten intolrant husband does most of our cooking so I usually just eat what he gives me...he is very good at it. But I am thinking I may need to take charge of my food to lose.

I once stopped eating bad carbs in at dinner (rice, potatos, pasta) and weight fell off me. I was hoping keeping at 1200 with lots of cardio would be enough but it has been about 5 weeks now and very little progress.

Food seems to be where I fall down. Any advice you have would be great. Oh...I should also note, I don't eat meat...but I do eat fish, eggs.

Since you are so small and only need to lose 5 lbs, the general advice given is to set your goal to .5 lbs a week. The less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose so you'll be better off trying to lose a smaller amount while eating slightly more food so you won't be miserable.

Also, with the smaller amount of weight you have to lose you'd probably be better off just picking exercises to help change your body fat percentage. This generally means resistance training. Weightlifting's supposed to be the best, but some form of strength based exercise is better than nothing.

Exercise, eat back the exercise calories so you have the energy to be a bad *kitten*, and look and feel better. "Clean" and "good v bad carbs" are generally just buzz words.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: join one of the clean eating groups. Folks there will answer your questions.

Here you'll just end up with an off topic, and likely locked, thread.

For some reason the phrase "clean eating" makes folks quite edgy. It brings out the folks who are sanctimonious about folks they deem "sanctimonious".

Best of luck with your 5LB loss!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This will inevitably lead to people posting pictures of junk food they are going to eat...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OP: join one of the clean eating groups. Folks there will answer your questions.

For some reason the phrase "clean eating" makes folks quite edgy. It brings out the folks who are sanctimonious about folks they deem "sanctimonious".

I'd advise against joining one of the clean eating groups to ask general questions about "clean eating" because you will, by definition, severely limit the types of responses you will get.

It's better to ask in the general forums where you will get answers from people who have chosen not to adopt "clean eating" as well as those who have.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'd advise against joining one of the clean eating groups to ask general questions about "clean eating" because you will, by definition, severely limit the types of responses you will get.

It's better to ask in the general forums where you will get answers from people who have chosen not to adopt "clean eating" as well as those who have.
    She could always do both. She could get your "answers" until the mocking and badgering locks the thread AGAIN. AND she could join a group and ask specific questions and have those answered as well. Not a binary option.
  • jonnythan
    Options

She could always do both. She could get your "answers" until the mocking and badgering locks the thread AGAIN. AND she could join a group and ask specific questions and have those answered as well. Not a binary option.

"Clean eaters" can defend their choices in the general forum just as anyone else can.

Forcing yourself into selection bias when evaluating a decision is counterproductive and silly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

"Clean eaters" can defend their choices in the general forum just as anyone else can.

Forcing yourself into selection bias when evaluating a decision is counterproductive and silly.
    Sometimes it just gets old dealing with the "you're sanctimonious", and "wash your food", "shower first" comments. Get it?
    But no, you don't. cheers johnny. Have at it.

I won't hijack her thread trying to have a conversation with you, lord no.

OP: do what you'd like. If you'd like to friend me, please do.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Sometimes it just gets old dealing with the "you're sanctimonious", and "wash your food", "shower first" comments. Get it?
    But no, you don't. cheers johnny. Have at it.

I won't hijack her thread trying to have a conversation with you, lord no.

OP: do what you'd like. If you'd like to friend me, please do.

Yeah, I imagine it does get tiring dealing with people using logic, reason, and science to critique your choice of eating when you try to push it on others.

It's probably pretty nice having a special place where your ridiculous, anti-science, counterfactual claims can't be challenged. Of course you'd want to get people in there so you could spout nonsense without fear of critique.