Eating clean? What does it really mean?

Options

Replies

• RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for people on these 1500 calorie budgets that want to eat a big mac and donuts. They can eat like 3 things, and call it a day.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, is all the bro foods that bodybuilders eat when they're cutting down before a show. I don't think they shred down to 5% or lower with mcdonalds for a reason. But i could be wrong.

Eh....it's more of a balance. Yes it does take more whole foods at that point but there are ways to get the other foods in.

If you would like to take the opportunity to hear a good conversation about calories and macronutrients during cuts and bulks then watch this. It's lengthy but take the time while driving or whatever and watch it.

Eric Helms, Alan Aragon and Ian McCarthy - Protein Round table

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Heoo4bXw8Tk

Haha, i don't put much into videos by Ian McCarthy, even if he knows what he's talking about.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A donut is automatically low quality, cooked in an unhygenic environment by someone making minimum wage?

I fear your irrational thoughts about food go way, way beyond reality.

Sorry to irrationally stereotype these fast food places that only feature high quality food, cooked in a clean environment, by people who care about the food they cook…

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9SgfjvZfIdA5TAOtMaEGdf613xqK7ib8pJ7JSHYHPY9b6NJ_Z4Q

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKEhjhthgIalkaqmwtS5KFCd3-ufzeByxiEcR8225rjL3MnrZJUw

You're totally missing the point.

Are all hamburgers fast food? Are all donuts fast food? Is it impossible to have a donut, or a hamburger, cooked in a clean environment?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A donut is automatically low quality, cooked in an unhygenic environment by someone making minimum wage?

Sorry to irrationally stereotype these fast food places that only feature high quality food, cooked in a clean environment, by people who care about the food they cook…

This **** happens on organic vegan restaurants too
  • BurningAway
    Options

Seriously? LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ill be having wine tonight. Care to mock that again?

I didn't say anything about wine. You can't even keep who said what straight. That says a lot about you, I think.
    Actually, you did. Yesterday. You and smartarse went on and on about wine and sugar mocking and badgering as always. cheers johnnyboy!

Dunno who "smartarse" is, but I'm still pretty sure I didn't say anything about wine. You're lumping more than one person together.
    brainy burro and you talking about the "sugarphobes" lol. Judge much? Your irrational thoughts about other people's eating are quite disturbing.:laugh:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114757-do-sugarphobes-also-avoid-drinking-any-alcohol

I'm not sure why you'd think I'd know that "smartarse" refers to Brainy_Burro, but no one was mocked for having wine. You didn't mention wine at all in that thread.

Your posts are incomprehensible. Did you give the wrong link?
    You don't know why smart *kitten* refers to brainy burro? Seriously? give it a minute... lol
    Actually, yes, the entire thread was mocking folks who avoid sugar, "the sugarphobes" as you got off on calling them, who drink wine...
    It's an odd obsession of yours: the eating habits of others, perhaps it's how you're slimming down: by vicariously obsessing about others' foods. Were you shamed a lot as a child?

I'm done. Talking to you is like talking to my obtuse 16 year old nephew. I don't enjoy that either.
    Enjoy your big mac.
  • jonnythan
    Options

And it doesn't matter where it happens. If your argument for "eating clean" is "fast food workers may have dropped your food on the floor" then your entire argument is total nonsense. That's an argument not to eat at dirty fast food places. It is not an argument to avoid Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls covered in Breyer's.
  • BurningAway
    Options

Lets talk about the sweaty farmer butching bessy so he can have his grass fed only steak im SURE he washes his hands first.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

It has yet to happen in my kitchen.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You don't know why smart *kitten* refers to brainy burro? Seriously? give it a minute... lol
    Actually, yes, the entire thread was mocking folks who avoid sugar "the sugarphobes" as you got off on calling them who drink wine...
    It's an odd obsession of yours: the eating habits of others, perhaps it's how you're slimming down: by vicariously obsessing about others' foods.

Do you honestly expect other people on MFP to keep track of what your pet names for other posters are? I hardly even know who Brainy_Burro is. (S)he isn't on my friends list.

That's crazy.

Anyway, I don't care what other people eat. What I care about is people like you lying to others by telling them they need to eat "clean".
  • sullus
    Options

Can you make us tacos, then?
  • jonnythan
    Options

OK. So "clean" is anything at all you prepare yourself? Is a donut bacon cheeseburger you make in your own kitchen just fine, then?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I worked at KFC as a young adult (and it was spotless and well run) and many of my friends today work at Tim Horton's, McDonalds, Wendy's.... and they are mature, responsible people who DO care about food quality and cleanliness. I trust a franchise before a privately owned restaurant because with thousands of locations and years of experience, they have developed in-house policies and practices that better safeguard their customers.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?
    bw_conway, I think this is a valid question.

Using your analogy, I'm kind of casual about housekeeping. I don't like dirtiness or dust, but I don't mind shoes lying around or unmade beds. Let's say you make your bed in the morning as part of keeping your house clean. Well, that's your bed and it has nothing to do with mine, and both of us, being smart and reasonable people, are not likely to assume that the way the other one does something means the way WE do it is dirty. Two different houses, two different beds, two different standards - they don't reflect anything about each other.

However, in the case of a Big Mac, we are looking at THE SAME EXACT BIG MAC.When you're framing discussion about food by dividing it into categories of clean and dirty, any given specific food can EITHER be one OR the other. Unless we're dealing with Schrodinger's Big Mac here, that Big Mac can't be dirty-eating and clean-eating at the same time. If you think the Big Mac isn't "clean" and I eat it, you've just told me I've eaten something dirty.

I think that's why people side-eye those kinds of divisions. They directly imply negative value judgments toward people who operate outside of those standards.

Annnnnnd now I want a Big Mac.

I think it's interesting that body-shaming is considered one of the most heinous offenses here... yet food-shaming is not. I think you've done a fine job explaining how "dirty" eating is derided by "clean" eaters.

ETA: Just wanted to say I love your use of quantum mechanics to justify your position.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    And another clean eating thread crumbles. Cheers and happy friday folks.:drinker:
  • sullus
    Options
    This is my problem .. clean has a bunch of different lines:

Strwaberry, picked and eaten in field
    Strawberry, bought from local co-op
    Strawberry, from a factory farm, bought at the grocery store
    Frozen Strawberries
    Home made strawberry compote
    Store-bought strawberry jam
    etc, etc

Where is the line that makes it unclean. several correct answers exist.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?
    bw_conway, I think this is a valid question.

Using your analogy, I'm kind of casual about housekeeping. I don't like dirtiness or dust, but I don't mind shoes lying around or unmade beds. Let's say you make your bed in the morning as part of keeping your house clean. Well, that's your bed and it has nothing to do with mine, and both of us, being smart and reasonable people, are not likely to assume that the way the other one does something means the way WE do it is dirty. Two different houses, two different beds, two different standards - they don't reflect anything about each other.

However, in the case of a Big Mac, we are looking at THE SAME EXACT BIG MAC.When you're framing discussion about food by dividing it into categories of clean and dirty, any given specific food can EITHER be one OR the other. Unless we're dealing with Schrodinger's Big Mac here, that Big Mac can't be dirty-eating and clean-eating at the same time. If you think the Big Mac isn't "clean" and I eat it, you've just told me I've eaten something dirty.

I think that's why people side-eye those kinds of divisions. They directly imply negative value judgments toward people who operate outside of those standards.

Annnnnnd now I want a Big Mac.

I think it's interesting that body-shaming is considered one of the most heinous offenses here... yet food-shaming is not. I think you've done a fine job explaining how "dirty" eating is derided by "clean" eaters.
    And "clean eating" is derided by the convenience food fans. It goes both ways here. I do hope you can see that.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And another clean eating thread crumbles. Cheers and happy friday folks.:drinker:

Apparently "crumbles" means "the clean eating proponents make themselves look nonsensical and fear-mongering by being sanctimonious and shaming the actual food choices of others."