Eating clean? What does it really mean?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?

My concept of clean eating is consuming high quality food in reasonable portions. By high quality, I mean having high nutritional content as well as high food integrity standards (organic, natural, and or minimally processed / un-processed). Striving toward these standards should be the goal, even though it is understood that eating clean 100% (or even 80-90%) of the time is often impossible in the same way that keeping your house or car clean 100% of the time is unrealistic.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Dip food in bleach. :) Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?

My concept of clean eating is consuming high quality food in reasonable portions. By high quality, I mean having high nutritional content as well as high food integrity standards (organic, natural, and or minimally processed / un-processed). Striving toward these standards should be the goal, even though it is understood that eating clean 100% (or even 80-90%) of the time is often impossible in the same way that keeping your house or car clean 100% of the time is unrealistic.
    Mayhaps they aren't as confident in their approach as they scream to be. :wink:

I wonder: does anyone argue with your definition of a clean house? I bet it's not the same as mine.:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    "Clean" means whatever a person *needs* it to mean in order for them to feel superior about their food choices...

It is laughable to see just how junk filled some of the diaries of the clean eaters are.
    This post seems pretty "superior" to me... perhaps it's catching.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I wonder: does anyone argue with your definition of a clean house? I bet it's not the same as mine.:flowerforyou:

I imagine that people would indeed argue with my definition of "a clean house" if I told them that their internet would be faster if they maintained a "clean house."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I imagine that people would indeed argue with my definition of "a clean house" if I told them that their internet would be faster if they maintained a "clean house."
    bwahaha you're a witty tyke, aren't ya.:laugh:

yup, I think there's a tad too much protest about the dietary choices of others going on.:laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

yup, I think there's a tad too much protest about the dietary choices of others going on.:laugh:

No one is protesting the dietary choices of others. No one cares what you eat.

What people are arguing against is the idea that "clean eating" is inherently beneficial or necessary.

You guys never seem to understand that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What people are arguing against is the idea that "clean eating" is inherently beneficial or necessary.

We understand that YOU believe that. Yes.
    cheers johnny:drinker:
    Ill be having wine tonight. Care to mock that again?
    :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

We understand that YOU believe that. Yes.
    cheers johnny:drinker:

This is nonsensical.

Eat whatever you want. That's the entire idea. If you want to eat what you consider "clean," that's fine. if you want to eat McDonald's, that's fine too.

Saying that I, or any of the people who criticize you, are attacking the dietary choices of others is completely ridiculous and counterfactual. It belies a complete inability to even understand what the people around you are saying.

It's literally the clean eaters who criticize the food choices of others. They are the ones who say not to eat certain things.

No one says don't eat clean. No one criticizes "clean food." People criticize the claims that clean eaters make to try to force other people to eat "clean."
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    OP: join one of the clean eating groups. Folks there will answer your questions.

Here you'll just end up with an off topic, and likely locked, thread.

For some reason the phrase "clean eating" makes folks quite edgy. It brings out the folks who are sanctimonious about folks they deem "sanctimonious".

Best of luck with your 5LB loss!

^This... I couldnt agree more. you will find some pretty nasty and rude ppl on the forums
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Ill be having wine tonight. Care to mock that again?

I didn't say anything about wine. You can't even keep who said what straight. That says a lot about you, I think.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OP: join one of the clean eating groups. Folks there will answer your questions.

Here you'll just end up with an off topic, and likely locked, thread.

For some reason the phrase "clean eating" makes folks quite edgy. It brings out the folks who are sanctimonious about folks they deem "sanctimonious".

Best of luck with your 5LB loss!

^This... I couldnt agree more. you will find some pretty nasty and rude ppl on the forums

You think so? I would say it's rude and nasty to call other people rude and nasty, but then I'd be rude and nasty, too. ... Hm.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    It means persons glorifying such a ludicrous term are about as pretentious as they come (in my experience).

Ummmmm. I have a feeling that this won't end well. Not ending well!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It depends.

If you ask a bodybuilding what eating clean means, it is going to mean something different than if you ask a natural health practitioner.

If you check out Oxygen Magazine on-line (a magazine for women into weight training) you'll find lots of articles on eating clean which include meats, dairy and grains. Tosca Reno, who is featured, even has a cookbook of clean recipes.

For me, eating clean is eating food which is as minimally processed as possible. I eat vegetables, fruits, grains which are nongluten, almond milk, a little soy. Once a week when DH and I have "date night" I'll indulge with some pizza or pasta.

Do you have to "eat clean", by whatever definition to lose weight?

I don't think so. People lose weight on Pop Tarts and Diet Coke. I eat clean because by doing so I lose weight, I feel fantastic, I'm seldom sick and when I get a cold or something similar, it is over in a day or two. Plus, I'm never hungry. It is much harder to overindulge on, e.g., apples than it is apple fritters.

GL whatever you chose.
  • 0321MarineMom
    0321MarineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    your most likely underestimating your husbands home cooked meals.. he is probably not worried about calories or measuring things he puts into the food, thus your getting extra calories that way. Just my guess.

Yep...this
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means whatever a person *needs* it to mean in order for them to feel superior about their food choices...

It is laughable to see just how junk filled some of the diaries of the clean eaters are.

I don’t think that “clean eating” people are fanatics claiming to eat a diet with absolutely no “unclean” food whatsoever (at least I’m not). Unless the person is in a cult or institutionalized, “unclean” food is going to be a part of their diet.

Clean eating is a goal, like any other health and fitness goals people have (albeit more subjective). Mastering the calorie counting and the macros juggling doesn't take that much effort once you get the hang of it (log food, monitor balance). So what do you do to improve nutrition once you are IIFYM compliant? If nothing, that’s great, I can respect that; but if you are the sort of person that constantly needs a challenge, attempting to eat “clean” food as often as possible keeps things interesting.

Plus it is good for you. Yes I said it, flame away!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I don’t think that “clean eating” people are fanatics claiming to eat a diet with absolutely no “unclean” food whatsoever (at least I’m not). Unless the person is in a cult or institutionalized, “unclean” food is going to be a part of their diet.

Clean eating is a goal, like any other health and fitness goals people have (albeit more subjective). Mastering the calorie counting and the macros juggling doesn't take that much effort once you get the hang of it (log food, monitor balance). So what do you do to improve nutrition once you are IIFYM compliant? If nothing, that’s great, I can respect that; but if you are the sort of person that constantly needs a challenge, attempting to eat “clean” food as often as possible keeps things interesting.

Well stated.

I think the problem with you "clean eating" folks is just that you need better marketing.

It's hard to compete with a pic showing someone shoving greasy food into their mouth.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    90/10 or 80/20 eating clean (whatever hell that means) or IIFYM with mostly whole foods is the same effing thing...just arrived at with 2 different ideologies (IMO).

There's inclusionary thinking (IIFYM) and exclusioniary (certain foods are bad and must be avoided, although it's ok to have a little after I've not eaten bad for most of my food).

Obviously I'm an inclusionary thinker.

I think considering what I need out of my food, and if i get it not really caring what i eat then, is the healthiest way to go about it. No food is an absolute no, and I'm constantly thinking about what I need to eat, not what food I need to avoid.

I think thinking of food and nutrition should be inclusionary.

I consider inclusionary thinking "healthier" because of what most do when they fail at something and get frustrated...which is give up.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well stated.

I think the problem with you "clean eating" folks is just that you need better marketing.

It's hard to compete with a pic showing someone shoving greasy food into their mouth.

Why you would even want to compete with it is beyond me.

Delicious food is delicious, and telling people they're not allowed to have delicious food they love because it's not "clean" is madness.