Eating clean? What does it really mean?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Well stated.

I think the problem with you "clean eating" folks is just that you need better marketing.

It's hard to compete with a pic showing someone shoving greasy food into their mouth.

Thanks.

I just don't see a picture of someone shoving greasy food in their mouth and think "Gee, that's what I want to do". I see enough obese and unhealthy people doing that in real life on a daily basis and it isn't something that I want to associate my identity with. If IIFYM takes the country by storm (which would be an amazing thing), perhaps junk food would cease to have a negative stigma.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well stated.

I think the problem with you "clean eating" folks is just that you need better marketing.

It's hard to compete with a pic showing someone shoving greasy food into their mouth.

Thanks.

I just don't see a picture of someone shoving greasy food in their mouth and think "Gee, that's what I want to do". I see enough obese and unhealthy people doing that in real life on a daily basis and it isn't something that I want to associate my identity with. If IIFYM takes the country by storm (which would be an amazing thing), perhaps junk food would cease to have a negative stigma.

There's your problem. You associate delicious food with being obese and unhealthy.

You will notice I am eating delicious food and I am neither obese nor unhealthy.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well stated.

Thanks.

Interesting stance.

Side note--I see a lot of really obese and unhealthy people eating things like apples and salads all the time, typically in the interest of losing weight. But frequently they never lose the weight. Obviously the problem is apples and salads and foods of that sort, right? I mean, I just don't see a picture of someone shoving an apple into their mouth and think, "Gee, that's what I want to do." I'd prefer not to associate my identity with that type of image.

4c2.gif
    I much prefer this type of image.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

There's your problem. You associate delicious food with being obese and unhealthy.

You will notice I am eating delicious food and I am neither obese nor unhealthy.

The deliciousness of something is diminished if it is of poor or questionable quality. Fast food is made from cheap, low quality ingredients, cooked in an environment that is often unhygienic, by people making minimum wage who don't really give a *kitten*. I reluctantly eat it when I have to (more often than I would like), and the deliciousness of what I’m eating doesn't blind me to the reality of what is actually contained in that greasy paper bag.

Side note--I see a lot of really obese and unhealthy people eating things like apples and salads all the time, typically in the interest of losing weight.

Does that public food beard actually fool anyone?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means whatever a person *needs* it to mean in order for them to feel superior about their food choices...

It is laughable to see just how junk filled some of the diaries of the clean eaters are.

I don’t think that “clean eating” people are fanatics claiming to eat a diet with absolutely no “unclean” food whatsoever (at least I’m not). Unless the person is in a cult or institutionalized, “unclean” food is going to be a part of their diet.

Clean eating is a goal, like any other health and fitness goals people have (albeit more subjective). Mastering the calorie counting and the macros juggling doesn't take that much effort once you get the hang of it (log food, monitor balance). So what do you do to improve nutrition once you are IIFYM compliant? If nothing, that’s great, I can respect that; but if you are the sort of person that constantly needs a challenge, attempting to eat “clean” food as often as possible keeps things interesting.

Plus it is good for you. Yes I said it, flame away!

Well stated.

Why you would even want to compete with it is beyond me.

Delicious food is delicious, and telling people they're not allowed to have delicious food they love because it's not "clean" is madness.
    You're under the odd impression that folks who aim for healthy, whole foods don't eat delicious foods. I get it now.
    Where as I look at the crap in your sig and think: blech (except the icecream which is quite tasty)
  • BurningAway
    Options
    You only eat as soon as you get out of the shower, and your food must be freshly washed as well.

Wasting time, eat it in the shower while you shower.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ill be having wine tonight. Care to mock that again?

I didn't say anything about wine. You can't even keep who said what straight. That says a lot about you, I think.
    Actually, you did. Yesterday. You and smartarse went on and on about wine and sugar mocking and badgering as always. cheers johnnyboy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?

My concept of clean eating is consuming high quality food in reasonable portions. By high quality, I mean having high nutritional content as well as high food integrity standards (organic, natural, and or minimally processed / un-processed). Striving toward these standards should be the goal, even though it is understood that eating clean 100% (or even 80-90%) of the time is often impossible in the same way that keeping your house or car clean 100% of the time is unrealistic.
    Mayhaps they aren't as confident in their approach as they scream to be. :wink:

More like the other way around. You don't see the IIFYM crowd making excuses as to why they had spinach, carrots, cauliflower etc like you do when someone preaching about eating clean gets their diaries looked at then pizza hut or Chinese or cookies are seen in the last few days. All of a sudden you hear "Oh it was a birthday" "My kid had them in the house" "It was the first time in forever" yada yada yada.

We never say don't eat fruits and veggies yet we are always told nit to eat the stuff we eat. Yet the clean eaters are the ones always been attacked? Right....
    Yet every time someone wants to "eat clean" Johnnyboy and his ilk feel compelled to muck up the thread, either by mocking, posting gifs of donuts and crap, or repeatedly telling folks there's no reason to change their diets.
    BTW: for fun I counted calories yesterday (havent done that in a while) and dontcha know it all my yummy healthy foods fit my macros. Yay me!
  • BurningAway
    Options
    Side note--I see a lot of really obese and unhealthy people eating things like apples and salads all the time, typically in the interest of losing weight. But frequently they never lose the weight. Obviously the problem is apples and salads and foods of that sort, right? I mean, I just don't see a picture of someone shoving an apple into their mouth and think, "Gee, that's what I want to do." I'd prefer not to associate my identity with that type of image.

FINALLY! Something i understand! ~throws all fruits and veggies too the birds~ its FUDGEING BIG MAC TIME!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You only eat as soon as you get out of the shower, and your food must be freshly washed as well.

This!

yep, this
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    i think eating clean only really matters if you have serious fitness goals. as long as you are on you calorie controlled method then it doeesnt really matter what you eat, as long as you get the right amount of calories.

I disagree with that ^^^^^ So I have serious goal but I est a lot of processed foods and sugar. Will I fail to meet my goals?

Maybe we can finally get the answer to the elusive question, what is clean eating?

do Olympians eat at McDonalds?

All. The. Time.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mcdonalds-olympics-restaurants-sales-soar-1259666

They're lovin' it: Up to 13,000 McDonald's meals per day sold in Olympics athletes' village

14 Aug 2012 00:00
    The four Olympic restaurants overall were 10 to 12 times busier than an average outlet
  • jonnythan
    Options

I didn't say anything about wine. You can't even keep who said what straight. That says a lot about you, I think.
    Actually, you did. Yesterday. You and smartarse went on and on about wine and sugar mocking and badgering as always. cheers johnnyboy!

Dunno who "smartarse" is, but I'm still pretty sure I didn't say anything about wine. You're lumping more than one person together.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The deliciousness of something is diminished if it is of poor or questionable quality. Fast food is made from cheap, low quality ingredients, cooked in an environment that is often unhygienic, by people making minimum wage who don't really give a *kitten*. I reluctantly eat it when I have to (more often than I would like), and the deliciousness of what I’m eating doesn't blind me to the reality of what is actually contained in that greasy paper bag.

A donut is automatically low quality, cooked in an unhygenic environment by someone making minimum wage?

I fear your irrational thoughts about food go way, way beyond reality.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, is all the bro foods that bodybuilders eat when they're cutting down before a show. I don't think they shred down to 5% or lower with mcdonalds for a reason. But i could be wrong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Dunno who "smartarse" is, but I'm still pretty sure I didn't say anything about wine. You're lumping more than one person together.
    brainy burro and you talking about the "sugarphobes" lol. Judge much? Your irrational thoughts about other people's eating are quite disturbing.:laugh:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114757-do-sugarphobes-also-avoid-drinking-any-alcohol
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If people state they would like to live a clean lifestyle or keep a clean house, people think that's great. Mention that you want to eat clean, and it creates a *kitten* storm? Why is that?
    bw_conway, I think this is a valid question.

Using your analogy, I'm kind of casual about housekeeping. I don't like dirtiness or dust, but I don't mind shoes lying around or unmade beds. Let's say you make your bed in the morning as part of keeping your house clean. Well, that's your bed and it has nothing to do with mine, and both of us, being smart and reasonable people, are not likely to assume that the way the other one does something means the way WE do it is dirty. Two different houses, two different beds, two different standards - they don't reflect anything about each other.

However, in the case of a Big Mac, we are looking at THE SAME EXACT BIG MAC.When you're framing discussion about food by dividing it into categories of clean and dirty, any given specific food can EITHER be one OR the other. Unless we're dealing with Schrodinger's Big Mac here, that Big Mac can't be dirty-eating and clean-eating at the same time. If you think the Big Mac isn't "clean" and I eat it, you've just told me I've eaten something dirty.

I think that's why people side-eye those kinds of divisions. They directly imply negative value judgments toward people who operate outside of those standards.

Annnnnnd now I want a Big Mac.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    A donut is automatically low quality, cooked in an unhygenic environment by someone making minimum wage?

I fear your irrational thoughts about food go way, way beyond reality.

Sorry to irrationally stereotype these fast food places that only feature high quality food, cooked in a clean environment, by people who care about the food they cook…

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9SgfjvZfIdA5TAOtMaEGdf613xqK7ib8pJ7JSHYHPY9b6NJ_Z4Q

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKEhjhthgIalkaqmwtS5KFCd3-ufzeByxiEcR8225rjL3MnrZJUw
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bw_conway, I think this is a valid question.

Using your analogy, I'm kind of casual about housekeeping. I don't like dirtiness or dust, but I don't mind shoes lying around or unmade beds. Let's say you make your bed in the morning as part of keeping your house clean. Well, that's your bed and it has nothing to do with mine, and both of us, being smart and reasonable people, are not likely to assume that the way the other one does something means the way WE do it is dirty. Two different houses, two different beds, two different standards - they don't reflect anything about each other.

However, in the case of a Big Mac, we are looking at THE SAME EXACT BIG MAC.When you're framing discussion about food by dividing it into categories of clean and dirty, any given specific food can EITHER be one OR the other. Unless we're dealing with Schrodinger's Big Mac here, that Big Mac can't be dirty-eating and clean-eating at the same time. If you think the Big Mac isn't "clean" and I eat it, you've just told me I've eaten something dirty.

I think that's why people side-eye those kinds of divisions. They directly imply negative value judgments toward people who operate outside of those standards.

Annnnnnd now I want a Big Mac.
    Schrodinger's big mac would have been long since eaten by the cat, who would be worse off for it.:happy: sorry, couldn't resist. I love the schrodingers big mac comment!. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

brainy burro and you talking about the "sugarphobes" lol. Judge much? Your irrational thoughts about other people's eating are quite disturbing.:laugh:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114757-do-sugarphobes-also-avoid-drinking-any-alcohol

I'm not sure why you'd think I'd know that "smartarse" refers to Brainy_Burro, but no one was mocked for having wine. You didn't mention wine at all in that thread.

Your posts are incomprehensible. Did you give the wrong link?