Men: Oblivious to Flirting.

Options
DalekBrittany
DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
Admit it, you just clicked because of the blanket statement, didn't you?

Anyway, I was having a conversation with my fiance the other day and he mentioned he never gets flirted with. I pointed out a few prime examples I can think of where he got hit on right in front of me, but he thought they were "just being nice". I've also seen his best friend Jason, who is gay, get hit on by a lot of women, all the time. He is very conventionally handsome and is very "careful not to be flamboyant" as he says. He gets hit on all the time. He doesn't see it either! He can tell when a guy is flirting, but not when a girl is, and agrees that my fiance gets flirted with. Likewise, my fiance agrees that his friend gets flirted with, but they can't see it when it's happening to their own self. :huh:

So, what do you think? Men, are you oblivious until it's pointed out, or do you always know? Anyone else, do you notice your guy friends/spouse getting hit on and they seem to be completely oblivious?

I ask for teh lulz mostly, but also because I have heard women use the blanket statement that men are oblivious...I wouldn't know, so I thought I'd see what the general consensus is, at least among MFP. :cheers:

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    YES.

My boyfriend has this one friend who has tried flirting with him a couple of times and he just sees it as friendliness.

Men are stupid.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband is absolutely oblivious to it which is hysterically funny to me :D I point it out and he just gives me a vacant look and denies it ha ha! But if any guy even LOOKS my way, he immediately knows, a haha
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    not only men, but some women are the same way... it is rare when I notice a guy hitting on me, and my husband always says that is ridiculous the amount of guys flirting every single day....

If I were single I would probably notice, but Im happily married, so I don't really care who hits on me or not. Probably your fiancé feels the same way
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have been told the same. When I was given examples, I decided girls are insane.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I have been told the same. When I was given examples, I decided girls are insane.

I flirt with you! Sometimes. But still! You don't notice! lol
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Good lesson then ladies - Go obvious to avoid oblivious.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I was having a conversation with my fiance the other day and he mentioned he never gets flirted with. I pointed out a few prime examples I can think of where he got hit on right in front of me, but he thought they were "just being nice".

That is totally me. I never have any idea men are flirting with me. People have to tell me because I have the exact same reaction, "No, he's just being nice."
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Not true!
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    not only men, but some women are the same way... it is rare when I notice a guy hitting on me, and my husband always says that is ridiculous the amount of guys flirting every single day....

If I were single I would probably notice, but Im happily married, so I don't really care who hits on me or not. Probably your fiancé feels the same way

I'm sure that has something to do with it as well! I am a bit biased so when women are too friendly for my taste I see it as flirting sometimes! But there have been situations where everyone else was like, wow that chick wanted your D, and he was kind of like :huh: He says I get hit on a lot, but I don't see it either. Probably because of the whole being engaged thing!
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    Yeah, when in comes to ourselves we usually can't see it unless it is as subtle as a ball pien hammer
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I'm oblivious to flirting. I have been lunged at by co-workers who apparently thought I was into them.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Not true!

Yes, true! You just don't see it! Might as well end the thread, you just proved my point! :wink:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Just pull your tits out and shake em around a bit. That'll get 'em.
  • Mr_Competitive
    Options
    I'm oblivious to flirting. I have been lunged at by co-workers who apparently thought I was into them.
    but can you blame them?
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I copped this from my wife just recently.

She was trying to tell me her friend was constantly flirting with me. Someone we've known for a good 15 years.

I disagreed. I look at this girl like shes my sister.

Then her other friends got in on it, and they all said she was always flirting with me too.

All i could honestly see, and still only see, is the normal conversation.

The argument is, when we talk in a group, she focuses on me only. I genrally thought that eye contact was part of the whole communication thing.

Apparently im wrong.

Now shes not allowed to attend anything we do..and it kinda sucks cuz shes awesome to have a conversation with.

Personally leaning towards the 'girls hate girls' scenario TBH.
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    Ahhhhh yup. That might
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So trueeeee.....sometimes they're totally oblivious, but there are other times when girls are just being nice where guys assume they are flirting/want more than to be friendly. lol
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I am totally 100% oblivious to being flirted with. I generally think they are 'just being friendly'. I am that oblivious, that when I used to Rodeo more, would follow several metres behind me, just to watch the 'buckle bunnies' try to flirt with me for a laugh.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I think they know. They're not idiots. They just don't want to admit it. Plus, if they say no they're just being nice... you then feel compelled to point out all the reasons a girl would flirt with them... ego stroke!

Eh, girls are the same way.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options

Just pull your tits out and shake em around a bit. That'll get 'em.

I save that for the date. Obvious flirting would be something like licking his lips.