Oreos: The greatest packaged cookie of all time

Options

Replies

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Update: I made slutty brownies for the super bowl party. I baked them forever - like 20 minutes past what they were supposed to bake for. I cooled them for several hours, and they seemed raw when I cut them. *sigh* I ate one, they tasted awesome, but they were just way too gooey. Plan B. I crushed up the rest of the Oreos and made Oreo dip - served with chocolate animal crackers and Nilla wafers. It was awesome. I couldn't bring myself to throw out the slutty brownies, so I put them in a gallon Ziploc bag and went to the party. When I got home from work the next day and looked over the waste of perfectly good Oreos, and chocolate chip cookie dough, and brownie batter, I realized that they looked like they magically set. I ate another one. They did set! I guess slutty brownies are something that needs to be made a day ahead. All hope is not lost.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Update: I made slutty brownies for the super bowl party. I baked them forever - like 20 minutes past what they were supposed to bake for. I cooled them for several hours, and they seemed raw when I cut them. *sigh* I ate one, they tasted awesome, but they were just way too gooey. Plan B. I crushed up the rest of the Oreos and made Oreo dip - served with chocolate animal crackers and Nilla wafers. It was awesome. I couldn't bring myself to throw out the slutty brownies, so I put them in a gallon Ziploc bag and went to the party. When I got home from work the next day and looked over the waste of perfectly good Oreos, and chocolate chip cookie dough, and brownie batter, I realized that they looked like they magically set. I ate another one. They did set! I guess slutty brownies are something that needs to be made a day ahead. All hope is not lost.

So you're saying sloppy seconds on slutty brownies is the way to go?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    English peeps, the main problem with America is the difficulty in getting crunchie bars.

I agree. Our lack of Crunchie bars is quite a problem. Pepperidge Farm started importing Tim Tams, so I still have hope for the Crunchie.

Never heard of Crunchie!

But Cadbury is awful here (IMO, but I don't like Hershey either) so I'd assume they wouldn't have the same quality than in the UK anyway.
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I guess slutty brownies are something that needs to be made a day ahead. All hope is not lost.

slutty brownies sound like a win!

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Where did all the haters come from?
    Who could possibly not like Oreos? Are we being infiltrated by body snatching aliens?

All of these people should be reported for derailment!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    They are in UK shops but I've never wanted to try them and still don't because they look like there's a lot of black food colouring in them. Unnatural-looking things suggest they will have an unnatural taste too.

Nope, no food coloring in the original. You're looking at chocolate cookies make with very dark cocoa is all. I have a from scratch version of oreos that comes out the next thing to black if I use cocoa like Cacao Barry Extra Brute. Oh, and I'll add that the problem with homemade oreos is that unless you have a press, or possibly a pasta roller, the sandwich cookie is never, ever thin enough and crisp enough. On the other hand, the filling is usually much tastier.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This sounds like a plausible moral to the story :laugh:
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

OMG! Precisely! hahaha :lol:
    Sheri2016 wrote: »
    I guess slutty brownies are something that needs to be made a day ahead. All hope is not lost.

slutty brownies sound like a win!

They are definitley a win. I would just use a bigger pan, assuming they would spread out more and bake better, and I'd let them set for at least 10-12 hours before attempting to serve them to anyone. They are totally worth the extra effort of making two batters. The Oreos give it that little extra something. :smile:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Man I must clearly bow to Oreo superiority. I tried and could only get three stacked in my mouth at one time.

However...I did go for the "Spring Oreo, Peanut Butter Oreo, and Cinnamon Bun Oreo" trifecta, so that's got to count for something.

428235ad-c252-42c5-a73f-f53694e1e57f_zpstpmbv9jo.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Man I must clearly bow to Oreo superiority. I tried and could only get three stacked in my mouth at one time.

However...I did go for the "Spring Oreo, Peanut Butter Oreo, and Cinnamon Bun Oreo" trifecta, so that's got to count for something.

428235ad-c252-42c5-a73f-f53694e1e57f_zpstpmbv9jo.jpg

You definitely get style points for sure. Lol
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Saw this floating around Facebook and thought of all of you... I give you, the oreogasm...

http://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/valentines-day/videos/a45931/oreogasm-brownie/

Curse you. Curse you forever! Now I have to go and make these tonight. *shakes fist*
    Francl27 wrote: »

But I guess butter/sugar cookies are just my favorite cookies anyway. Chessmen from Pepperidge Farm? Yes please!

For anything non-oreo, Danish Butter Cookies are my favorite. I bought a huge container of them at Sam's club when they went on sale after Christmas. I had to give the last half of them away because I literally could not stop eating them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Saw this floating around Facebook and thought of all of you... I give you, the oreogasm...

http://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/valentines-day/videos/a45931/oreogasm-brownie/

Curse you. Curse you forever! Now I have to go and make these tonight. *shakes fist*
    Francl27 wrote: »

But I guess butter/sugar cookies are just my favorite cookies anyway. Chessmen from Pepperidge Farm? Yes please!

For anything non-oreo, Danish Butter Cookies are my favorite. I bought a huge container of them at Sam's club when they went on sale after Christmas. I had to give the last half of them away because I literally could not stop eating them.

Yeah those are very tasty.... Just love butter cookies.
  • srujana_kanneganti
    Options
    This thread makes me happy.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Case of the Mondays
    Need some Oreos right now
    And bump from page 4
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Page 4???? Gasp!

Bumping to #1 thread (for now at least) because there's another thread dissing the almighty oreo and it kinda made me wanna go to the irrationally angry thread. :)

Edited because it apparently made me so irrationally angry I forgot a word.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Filled Cupcake Oreos, anyone try those yet?

my best friend had some in her cabinet this weekend and they were bomb.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Filled Cupcake Oreos, anyone try those yet?

my best friend had some in her cabinet this weekend and they were bomb.

I wasn't going to buy them but then I realized, "who am I kidding? I'm gonna try them"! And JUST when I was going to give up that my local Target would carry them, there they were. But I haven't tried them yet because I still have other packages of Oreos to try that will expire earlier than the cupcake ones.

Some people love them...some think they're meh. So looking forward to them! :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I am at work now
    My Oreos are at home
    This makes me so sad
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any Oreos in a few weeks due to some personal issues.

I have some Girl Scout cookies at the house. I'll see if I can pick up the cupcake filled Oreos when I finish a box.