anyone else tired of weightlifting?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You just have to mix it up. So when you get tired of the snatch, you jerk it.

There's many variations you could do...just have to find that sweet spot.

I don't do snatches or jerks at all

Maybe this is a sign. If you've been doing the *same* lifting movements all along, that would be rather tedious. Most lifting programs recommend switching things up or varying moves you incorporate. I've been lifting for about a year, too, but I've switched my routine probably three or four times during this time.

I'd also ask: is it possible you're overtraining or have been overtraining? If you're feeling almost listless about it, you might have done too much--do you ever deload, or take breaks? Not reaching anymore PRs and suddenly losing interest could all point to a failure to adequately repair/recover. I'd say take a week off and deload, and then see how you're feeling about it. Otherwise, I'd say try retooling your routine.

Weight lifting just brings too many health benefits overall to just "drop" completely. Maybe incorporate yoga/pilates as your strength training for awhile might help the malaise.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need a week off? a deload week? switch up your routine? perhaps your doing too much exercise overall? maybe it's just not for you? although that would be sad. Weight lifting has soooo many benefits.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Try something like Vipr or TRX instead, it will keep you interested and still build muscle. :drinker:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Not even a little.

Might be time to shake things up: try a new routine, some new lifts...there are SO many I cannot imagine getting bored!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been changing up my routine (sets, reps, excercises). I guess I get intimidated at the gym because i can't lift as much as anyone else ( I know, that's not an excuse)
    No one cares how much you lift. Those guys didn't just show up at the gym one day as strong as they are either.

You obviously haven't been to my gym. It's The YMCA and dudes there treat it like it's goddamn golds gym in the 80's. Dudes also will laugh at other guys who can't lift as much
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A lot of cardio can be counterproductive to lifting. And are you eating to support lifting progress?

This.
  • Sweaty_N_Hungry
    Options
    I've been changing up my routine (sets, reps, excercises). I guess I get intimidated at the gym because i can't lift as much as anyone else ( I know, that's not an excuse)
    No one cares how much you lift. Those guys didn't just show up at the gym one day as strong as they are either.

You obviously haven't been to my gym. It's The YMCA and dudes there treat it like it's goddamn golds gym in the 80's. Dudes also will laugh at other guys who can't lift as much

Honestly man, I'm one of the biggest guys at the gym and I always see smaller guys lifting more than I do. I eat my protein and lift what I can. Just stay with it and over time, you'll see the results. Lifting requires a lot of technique, you can't just expect to get under a rack and start pumping out a 300lb squat or bench.

Good luck with it BRO.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You just have to mix it up. So when you get tired of the snatch, you jerk it.

There's many variations you could do...just have to find that sweet spot.

tell me more.:flowerforyou:

I can tell you that the deeper you go, the better.

For squats that is.

And make sure to thrust your hips forward a bit.

when you deadlift.
  • firstsip
    Options

Perhaps I misinterpreted your issues with lifting then.

1. Find another gym.
    2. If you can't find another gym, save up for a home one--many don't need to take up much space. Just a bench and a bar, maybe a rack, is all you need.
    3. Work on your confidence. If caring what others say/do about yourself is bothering you, the issue lies with your self-esteem and not with the lifting... which is a shame, since lifting can be a big builder of self-esteem. I'd also question whether you're truly being hazed or if you're not just projecting some insecurities.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    perhaps you need a week off? a deload week? switch up your routine? perhaps your doing too much exercise overall? maybe it's just not for you? although that would be sad. Weight lifting has soooo many benefits.

you're right, it may be not for me at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So i've been lifting for about the last year. Things were going well, and then all of a sudden.i just stopped caring, i saw some results but i really haven't gotten any new PR's in a long time. The only thing I have been progressing on is Deadlift. I have been running alot recently and I find that I am progressing faster when it comes to running. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Thoughts? (Trolls welcome as well, its gonna happen anyway)

No way...

What program are you doing? If you've been going at it for a year, it's probably time to switch up your weight training program...I would think after a year you would be moving on to an intermediate program of some kind. Your goals would determine what program that would be...personally, I love Wendler's 5/3/1...I think it's the best intermediate program out there.
  • thekyleo
    Options

1. Find another gym.
    2. If you can't find another gym, save up for a home one--many don't need to take up much space. Just a bench and a bar, maybe a rack, is all you need.
    3. Work on your confidence. If caring what others say/do about yourself is bothering you, the issue lies with your self-esteem and not with the lifting... which is a shame, since lifting can be a big builder of self-esteem. I'd also question whether you're truly being hazed or if you're not just projecting some insecurities.

I want a home gym, i just don't have a house. I guess my issues with lifting at two fold, one i feel like i've stalled and am regressing and i feel insecure about lifting at the gym i go to
  • Sweaty_N_Hungry
    Options

So you're saying a ripped, muscled body isn't for you?

You want to just do cardio and lose fat and muscle so you can be "skinny fat"? Either you do or you don't. There comes a time when excuses need to stop. I did it for years, so have many on here.

I like chicken wings, chocolate, hot Cheetos, and everything that is deep fried. I get tired of eating grilled chicken breast, fish, and other lean meats. My coworkers laugh at me when having a working lunch while they eat their Popeye's, Burger King, etc. and I"m eating a salad with salmon. But does that mean I'm going to stop eating healthy?

Anyway...you're pissing me off. Why? Because you sound like me 65lbs ago.

MODS: This is me being MOTIVATIONAL!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    haha tired of weightlifting.. nope.. been at this for 15 years and I still find it fun.. even though I don't look how I want that doesn't mean I am just gonna stop.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to start lifting more.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    So i've been lifting for about the last year. Things were going well, and then all of a sudden.i just stopped caring, i saw some results but i really haven't gotten any new PR's in a long time. The only thing I have been progressing on is Deadlift. I have been running alot recently and I find that I am progressing faster when it comes to running. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Thoughts? (Trolls welcome as well, its gonna happen anyway)

No way...

What program are you doing? If you've been going at it for a year, it's probably time to switch up your weight training program...I would think after a year you would be moving on to an intermediate program of some kind. Your goals would determine what program that would be...personally, I love Wendler's 5/3/1...I think it's the best intermediate program out there.

I do a program on and off.
  • firstsip
    Options

1. Find another gym.

I want a home gym, i just don't have a house. I guess my issues with lifting at two fold, one i feel like i've stalled and am regressing and i feel insecure about lifting at the gym i go to

One thing I've learned during weightlifting: your mental state makes a BIG difference in how you do. There's a reason "mental blocks" come up all the time in lifting communities. A previous injury, a repeated difficult lift, etc. can all result in an inability to progress. That, in turn, can affect you mentally again, resulting in insecurities, lack of confidence, etc. Mental and physical are intertwined, and one snag in one can turn into a cycle of snags for both.

I'd say focus on your mental, first. What, in your experience, has lead to increased confidence? Did you find that you felt better with deadlifts since you keep progressing with them? Keep those up. Do you feel more confident with running? Try running for your warmup pre-lifting then lift immediately after, so your runner's high helps you battle any insecurities. These things, plus a switched up routine and periodic breaks and deloads, may help the mental blocks you have with lifting. I'm pretty convinced your issue with lifting/inability to get new PRs is very much a mental block.
  • thekyleo
    Options

So you're saying a ripped, muscled body isn't for you?

You want to just do cardio and lose fat and muscle so you can be "skinny fat"? Either you do or you don't. There comes a time when excuses need to stop. I did it for years, so have many on here.

I like chicken wings, chocolate, hot Cheetos, and everything that is deep fried. I get tired of eating grilled chicken breast, fish, and other lean meats. My coworkers laugh at me when having a working lunch while they eat their Popeye's, Burger King, etc. and I"m eating a salad with salmon. But does that mean I'm going to stop eating healthy?

Anyway...you're pissing me off. Why? Because you sound like me 65lbs ago.

MODS: This is me being MOTIVATIONAL!

I don't see how this is pissing you off.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

1. Find another gym.

all i can say is where there is a will there is definately a way. I have a bench in my apt livingroom, with a lat pulldown and leg extension. I bought it from a newspaper ad and had to go pick it up myself in pieces and assemble it myself. I bought all my weights and bars and carried them home myself. I have yet to get a squat rack, but my knees don't like squats, so i'm holding back on that for a bit. .Also have a treadmill in my livingroom. Not saying this is the optimal solution, but it can work if you want it to. I'm quite sure many others have stories of such also. Just hate to see someone pass up on lifting when they could be so much healthier with it. Slow steps.... :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

One thing I've learned during weightlifting: your mental state makes a BIG difference in how you do. There's a reason "mental blocks" come up all the time in lifting communities. A previous injury, a repeated difficult lift, etc. can all result in an inability to progress. That, in turn, can affect you mentally again, resulting in insecurities, lack of confidence, etc. Mental and physical are intertwined, and one snag in one can turn into a cycle of snags for both.

I'd say focus on your mental, first. What, in your experience, has lead to increased confidence? Did you find that you felt better with deadlifts since you keep progressing with them? Keep those up. Do you feel more confident with running? Try running for your warmup pre-lifting then lift immediately after, so your runner's high helps you battle any insecurities. These things, plus a switched up routine and periodic breaks and deloads, may help the mental blocks you have with lifting. I'm pretty convinced your issue with lifting/inability to get new PRs is very much a mental block.
    [/quote]

This is a good point. I'd never had trouble with my lifts before, never had difficulty reaching a goal in my program, etc.
    Then I was diagnosed with a chronic disease.

It got into my head big time. My timing was off & while getting accustomed to my new 'normal', I started second guessing whether I could complete lifts etc.

During a squat, I wasn't paying attention & decompressed upon ascent, before I pulled up past parallel.
    I failed to complete the movement & had to be rescued by my husband (training partner) for the first time 15 yrs of lifting.
    That was most embarrassing :embarassed:

That stuck in my head for a bit until I read about the timing of expiration & realized my focus was off. Before I knew about my diagnosis, I was functioning just fine with a disability & being unaware of it, it never caused me a problem with my lifts.

It can make a helluva difference. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.