Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options
14567810»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Should I be feeling guilty about eating ice cream?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This thread made me eat a banana

Well 50g of one with 100g strawberries and 170g Greek yogurt
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    tracefan wrote: »
    I've decided to no longer post anything. I'll get support somewhere else. Didn't realize everything on here had to be so literal. I feel like I'm in high school.

Please don't take disagreements about nutrition as personal attacks. Or quit participating. That would be sad.

This is priceless. You just told her she was being dishonest.

She pointed out factually why people were taking issue with the OP. She said the words were a dishonest portrayal of the facts. She offered a suggestion as to how it could have been worded differently to avoid such heated discussion. Bringing in words like "guilt" and then making incorrect statements about sugars is not something that I find particularly helpful on these boards since so many people here struggle with disordered eating and/or have misconceptions promoted by mainstream and social media that sugar is evil unless it happens to come from a banana and then suddenly it is glorious. She then very sincerely said that she hopes OP and others are not run off simply by discussion, science, and debate.

No one attacked the OP. No one even really attacked the mashed frozen bananas. People just like to make sure that if someone is choosing to enjoy a certain treat they are doing it because they really like it, and not because they are arbitrarily restricting something else because of a perception that it is "bad".

Disagreement equals attack the same
    way ice cream equals frozen bananas.

(Hint, they aren't the same thing...)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think there'd be a WHOLE LOT LESS PUSHBACK if the sweet dessert was presented this way:
    "I love eating mashed frozen bananas! It's delicious and creamy, and satisfies my sweet tooth. Added bonus - extra potassium and a bit of fiber!"

Instead of this way:
    "Ice cream is bad for you but frozen bananas taste JUST THE SAME and are good for you!" (paraphrase)

Agree with this, 100%. I happen to like frozen bananas for what they are: frozen bananas. I don't think they taste "just like" ice cream, and therefore if I feel like having ice cream, a frozen banana just isn't going to do it for me.

Ditto mashed cauliflower. I like it. Is it "just like" mashed potatoes? No way.

And if you like a pizza crust made from cauliflower, then go for it! But if you think that it is "just like" real pizza crust, then you've never had a decent slice of pizza.

I'm all for people eating whatever they like. I'm just not into demonizing foods and trying to convince myself that other, "healthier" foods are "exactly the same" as the "evil" foods.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    bdt0831 wrote: »
    Arctic Zero. The WHOLE DAMN PINT is 150 calories!! Hello?!?!?!?

We don't have it here, but from what I've heard it doesn't resemble ice cream at all. 150 calories for a whole pint, I can't even begin to imagine the taste or texture..

Sorry, but I found it completely disgusting. Inedible.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So after all this ice cream talk, I decided to indulge and buy my favourite PB flavour. I went to the grocery store, found it, perused the nutritional label... 260 calories for 100ml! Meh, tossed it in my trolley and continued shopping, all the while having those calories and can I stop at 100ml playing round and round in my head????

Long story short, I left the store without my ice cream. Knowing my self well, it would have been a minimum 520 calorie bowl. just not worth it, and yes, my willpower sucks!!!!

When I was first testing the waters on ice cream in the house, I brought home five individual cups

What individual cup ice creams do you all get, and from where? I typically only see the Haagen Dazs in individual serving size cups (which is great, but wondering if others are available).

It was the Häagen-Dazs. They are around 230+ cals per each. I ate all five. I had to bring them home one at a time for a while. Now I can have the pints in the house, but not for about 2 years :laugh:
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I've decided to no longer post anything. I'll get support somewhere else. Didn't realize everything on here had to be so literal. I feel like I'm in high school.

Please don't take disagreements about nutrition as personal attacks. Or quit participating. That would be sad.

This is priceless. You just told her she was being dishonest.

That's not how I read it. I saw an analysis of how the message came across which was actually quite accurate in its explanation as to why this became an interesting discussion thread in a discussion forum

It surprises me that adults take comments on nutritional facts and stats so very personally.

@tomteboda good post and a lovely response to the OP. I admire you, your aha moment on your blog, and your level headed postings on this site.

Yes to this. +1

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So after all this ice cream talk, I decided to indulge and buy my favourite PB flavour. I went to the grocery store, found it, perused the nutritional label... 260 calories for 100ml! Meh, tossed it in my trolley and continued shopping, all the while having those calories and can I stop at 100ml playing round and round in my head????

Long story short, I left the store without my ice cream. Knowing my self well, it would have been a minimum 520 calorie bowl. just not worth it, and yes, my willpower sucks!!!!

When I was first testing the waters on ice cream in the house, I brought home five individual cups

What individual cup ice creams do you all get, and from where? I typically only see the Haagen Dazs in individual serving size cups (which is great, but wondering if others are available).

I get Ben & Jerry's individual cups, which are available at all the supermarkets, but not in my favorite flavors, so I've been able to stop at one.

I've also seen Friendlies mini cups, but those might be regional. (I'm in Massachusetts.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I noticed in another thread you got mad because people didn't understand you. In a written medium, we have no verbal queues, so being more literal happens. Consider spending a little more time on your wording to increase other posters' understanding. This is an excellent analysis of what went wrong in your post:
    I think there'd be a WHOLE LOT LESS PUSHBACK if the sweet dessert was presented this way:

"I love eating mashed frozen bananas! It's delicious and creamy, and satisfies my sweet tooth. Added bonus - extra potassium and a bit of fiber!"

Instead of this way:

"Ice cream is bad for you but frozen bananas taste JUST THE SAME and are good for you!" (paraphrase)

The original post and subsequent defenses attracted a lot of criticism because of
    (1) dishonest portrayal of texture/flavor
    (2) nutritionally inaccurate critique of a popular food
    (3) nutritionally inaccurate critiques of sugar

So please, by all means, spread the word about tasty frozen bananas. I like blended frozen fruit, too. I'd recommend leaving ice cream out of it, though. The comparison more or less invites disagreement.

p.s.
    MyFitnessPal has a great forum SPECIFICALLY for this kind of sharing... "Food and Nutrition", or maybe Recipes. I'm not saying it doesn't belong here (not my call) only that I think maybe that audience would probably be a lot more receptive to the recipe idea and less likely to jump on the implicit biases.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Sounds yum but I have regular ice cream all through my weight loss and maintenance. Just smaller portions than I use to.

Same.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    We had a load of banana's on the way out today, so I mixed some of this up with some vanilla and a little cinnamon. I thought it was pretty tasty. Next time maybe some strawberries in there as well. I can really see this being a good recover and cool down muncie after a hard bike ride, especially when it gets hot out.

As for the calories, I usually don't care. But for those claiming it wouldn't be less calories than ice cream, I'd like to see the science behind that explained. Bananas are just carbs and a hair of protein, both 4 calories per gram. By definition, ice cream has cream. By definition cream is the heavy and fatty part of milk products. Fat has 9 calories per gram. So unless someone is comparing it to another ice cream substitute, it's not going to be more calories. And if you're comparing it to another not really ice cream type thing.... well what's the point?

As for 1/2 cup of real ice cream. Well... I don't think most of you know how to ice cream! If I'm going to eat it, I'd rather put in some extra work out time and actually eat enough to do something for me.