Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Replies

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2016
    I've decided to no longer post anything. I'll get support somewhere else. Didn't realize everything on here had to be so literal. I feel like I'm in high school.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    tracefan wrote: »
    I've decided to no longer post anything. I'll get support somewhere else. Didn't realize everything on here had to be so literal. I feel like I'm in high school.

Please don't take disagreements about nutrition as personal attacks. Or quit participating. That would be sad.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member

I agree.......your post was great, you found a healthy and nutritious "treat" that made you happy and exited and then people here felt compelled to go on and on and on and on.....essentially repeating themselves and each other and arguing about NOTHING!!! Why can't we just be glad that the OP is feeling happy and excited about the banana dessert? Man this is getting old!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

Please don't take disagreements about nutrition as personal attacks. Or quit participating. That would be sad.

Agreed! One must have a thick skin to participate in most forums. It is what it is, please don't let a few people run you off
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

This is priceless. You just told her she was being dishonest.

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member

Are you kidding? You tore apart the OPS whole post and rewrote it the way YOU say it should have been written. It was written in a light hearted fun and excited way but all you folks who know better than the rest of us feel the need to condescendingle correct us. I'm done with these forums too.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks for this post! I sprinkled cinnamon and unsalted peanuts on top instead of the vanilla. Yummmmm.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    So after all this ice cream talk, I decided to indulge and buy my favourite PB flavour. I went to the grocery store, found it, perused the nutritional label... 260 calories for 100ml! Meh, tossed it in my trolley and continued shopping, all the while having those calories and can I stop at 100ml playing round and round in my head????

Long story short, I left the store without my ice cream. Knowing my self well, it would have been a minimum 520 calorie bowl. just not worth it, and yes, my willpower sucks!!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    So after all this ice cream talk, I decided to indulge and buy my favourite PB flavour. I went to the grocery store, found it, perused the nutritional label... 260 calories for 100ml! Meh, tossed it in my trolley and continued shopping, all the while having those calories and can I stop at 100ml playing round and round in my head????

Long story short, I left the store without my ice cream. Knowing my self well, it would have been a minimum 520 calorie bowl. just not worth it, and yes, my willpower sucks!!!!

When I was first testing the waters on ice cream in the house, I brought home five individual cups (ranging from 230-290 cal each). Yup, I ate all five of them. I can have the pints now, but it took a long time to get there. :laugh:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    sndrd49 wrote: »

I agree.......your post was great, you found a healthy and nutritious "treat" that made you happy and exited and then people here felt compelled to go on and on and on and on.....essentially repeating themselves and each other and arguing about NOTHING!!! Why can't we just be glad that the OP is feeling happy and excited about the banana dessert? Man this is getting old!!

Well it's probably due to
    • Use of the word guilt
    • Incorrect understanding of equivalent calories and sugar content
    • Discussion board

Yes frozen banana is delicious, so is Greek yogurt with frozen berries stirred into it and possibly a squidge of honey and so is ice cream.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

When I was first testing the waters on ice cream in the house, I brought home five individual cups (ranging from 230-290 cal each). Yup, I ate all five of them. I can have the pints now, but it took a long time to get there. :laugh:

I've had ice cream in single servings for as long as I can remember, but with some other items like Nutella I find it necessary to buy only one single serving whenever I feel like having it. No 5 single servings at once in the house for me. So yes, I feel your pain :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Dnarules wrote: »

This is priceless. You just told her she was being dishonest.

That's not how I read it. I saw an analysis of how the message came across which was actually quite accurate in its explanation as to why this became an interesting discussion thread in a discussion forum

It surprises me that adults take comments on nutritional facts and stats so very personally.

@tomteboda good post and a lovely response to the OP. I admire you, your aha moment on your blog, and your level headed postings on this site.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    I just saw a video of "mock Ice cream" Frozen bananas, vanilla extract.. put in food processor until it looks like ice cream. UM HELLLLLOOOOO delicious. I just made banana ice cream without cream or sugar. It really tasted like ice cream. I had about a cup and it was so good.
    I'm sure I could add strawberries next time or other varieties..like some PB2 etc.

I always buy bananas.. and if for whatever reason I don't eat them and they start to look brown I peel them and put them in the freezer.. So another reason to use them frozen...

I had ice cream without the guilt. I cannot believe I never did this before! It was awesome!

I seen the video and posted the same awhile ago it's a good idea
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Real talk about this stuff. I made frozen mashed bananas before. They're not like ice cream. At all.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Try skinny cows for an ice cream bar without the work for 100 calories each. I truly hate all the work that goes into making a 100 calorie treat. Skinny Cows cost 5 to 6 dollars a box.

I love those. I take two bars off the stick, add crushed cookies and mix it all up for around 300 calories. One of my favorite treats!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

When I was first testing the waters on ice cream in the house, I brought home five individual cups

What individual cup ice creams do you all get, and from where? I typically only see the Haagen Dazs in individual serving size cups (which is great, but wondering if others are available).
  • GiGiQuinn2016
    GiGiQuinn2016 Posts: 9 Member
    I LUV this faux ice cream! I saw it on the Engine 2 Diet documentary! I also make it with bananas and berries + vanilla.. YUM! I can't eat sugar, so this is the best alternative I've found! (And no chemicals/fillers/calories like the store bought low cab/no dug added versions).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    sndrd49 wrote: »

Well it's probably due to
    • Use of the word guilt
    • Incorrect understanding of equivalent calories and sugar content
    • Discussion board

Yes frozen banana is delicious, so is Greek yogurt with frozen berries stirred into it and possibly a squidge of honey and so is ice cream.

I must be weird, as I continue to prefer non frozen bananas to the frozen kind. (Especially during winter!) :-)

I am not offended and my feelings are not hurt that others do not share my enthusiasm for non frozen bananas and like the frozen kind. Also, you know what's better than bananas (frozen or not)? Pears. So delicious.
  • wendytier
    wendytier Posts: 4 Member
    I prefer making real icecream - I have an icemachine (with compressor, no need to put it in a freezer before use) and make icecream from plain yoghurt and sweetener (I like splenda or erythrit) and real vanilla powder. Or - during the season - strawberry purree with sweetener.

I also use low fat/no sugar fruit yoghurt with some additional sweetener (icecreammix has to be very sweet before you freeze it).

A big cup (8 ounce) hat 110 calories and makes me very happy ;-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I LUV this faux ice cream! I saw it on the Engine 2 Diet documentary! I also make it with bananas and berries + vanilla.. YUM! I can't eat sugar, so this is the best alternative I've found! (And no chemicals/fillers/calories like the store bought low cab/no dug added versions).

How come you can't eat sugar?