Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???

Rarely. More like a minimum of 1 cup!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???

Yes, all the time. That's what a food scale is for.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Just google "difference between refined sugar and sugar found naturally in food" and make up your own mind.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas.

I add alcohol to my ice cream to remove the guilt.

Why not? Alcohol has a high thermic effect afterall ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas.

I add alcohol to my ice cream to remove the guilt.

Best. Line. Evah
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Just google "difference between refined sugar and sugar found naturally in food" and make up your own mind.

Just FYI - you can also google "Alien landing in USA" and get conflicting reports.

TL;DR Telling someone to "Google" something isn't a good way to support any given position.

(and I love that my tl;dr is actually longer than my comment)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Also, if you do google it, and ignore silly stuff, what the sites explain is that many foods that naturally contain sugar also are low cal and contain lots of things we need in our diet, like fiber and micronutrients, whereas many foods (not all, of course) that include added sugar have fewer micronutrients, less fiber, and lots of calories (in many cases more from fat than sugar, however).

In other words, they simply do not support the assertion that the sugar in a carrot or banana is different in some material way from the sugar in ice cream. Is ice cream different from a carrot? Well, obviously, but that's not the assertion that was made and should be supported.

There's a current thread where the OP asked if adding 32 calories of sugar to his or her oatmeal is a problem or unhealthy. I'm not sure how some oatmeal with a little sugar is bad just because the sugar is added and not inherent in the oatmeal (which has fiber and some other good qualities), but this silly black and white distinction (inherent sugar good, added sugar bad) would claim it so.
  • DawnLPB
    DawnLPB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What's with calling it "nice cream"? There's no cream in it. Call it "iced bananas". (Plus, this cutesy use of "nice" indicates that something's *not* nice about authentic ice cream.)

If one is vegan, what's not nice about ice cream made from cream is the exploitation of cows.

Eh, that's not how it's being talked about in this thread.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What's with calling it "nice cream"? There's no cream in it. Call it "iced bananas". (Plus, this cutesy use of "nice" indicates that something's *not* nice about authentic ice cream.)

If one is vegan, what's not nice about ice cream made from cream is the exploitation of cows.

Eh, that's not how it's being talked about in this thread.

@kshama2001 has previously admitted to being a vegan wannabe :)
  • DawnLPB
    DawnLPB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body. Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike. Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what. Sometimes u just need the real thing but don't just assume that since banana and ice cream may have the same calories they can be interchanged- once you eat them there is a big differance in how they effect your body
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    DawnLPB wrote: »
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body. Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike. Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what. Sometimes u just need the real thing but don't just assume that since banana and ice cream may have the same calories they can be interchanged- once you eat them there is a big differance in how they effect your body

Sorry, but I don't agree with a lot in this post, but especially the bolded.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Nobody is arguing that a banana and ice cream are literally interchangable -- they have different amounts of macro and micronutrients. The argument is whether there is a difference between the sugar in a banana and the sugar in ice cream.

The fiber in fruit doesn't make *me* feel more full no matter what. I still feel like I get a sugar rush from very sweet fruits (like bananas, grapes, or pineapple) unless they are combined with other foods and they don't curb my hunger.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

That will be because it's made up
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

As a former pre-diabetic I can tell you for a fact that the fat and protein in the ice cream make the blood sugar spike (and consequently insulin) much smoother than the sugar in the banana, at least in my case. Bananas are delicious, but nothing can replace the richness of ice cream satiety-wise, at least for me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

How do you measure out your ice cream? Do you scoop it into a 1/2 cup measuring cup or use an ice cream scoop (1/2 cup) or do you let it melt down to measure 125 mL? Having lived in the U.S. and Canada, ice creams do not have weights listed on the nutritional info. It's either 1/2 cup or 125 mL. No grams. No ounces. No listed set-point for weighing.

I use an ice cream scoop. It's a piddly amount of ice cream. It's what happens when people use liquid measurements for semi-solids and I certainly haven't met anyone who lets ice cream melt down to complete liquid form before measuring out a serving.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    "As a former pre-diabetic I can tell you for a fact that the fat and protein in the ice cream make the blood sugar spike (and consequently insulin) much smoother than the sugar in the banana, at least in my case. Bananas are delicious, but nothing can replace the richness of ice cream satiety-wise, at least for me."

I agree with this-I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and ice cream will trigger a hypoglycemic episode but the frozen banana does not at least in my case.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That will be because it's made up

It was quite a mouthful, wasn't it?

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Lyrica7 wrote: »
    "As a former pre-diabetic I can tell you for a fact that the fat and protein in the ice cream make the blood sugar spike (and consequently insulin) much smoother than the sugar in the banana, at least in my case. Bananas are delicious, but nothing can replace the richness of ice cream satiety-wise, at least for me."

I agree with this-I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and ice cream will trigger a hypoglycemic episode but the frozen banana does not at least in my case.

So you have the opposite response you mean :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

How do you measure out your ice cream? Do you scoop it into a 1/2 cup measuring cup or use an ice cream scoop (1/2 cup) or do you let it melt down to measure 125 mL? Having lived in the U.S. and Canada, ice creams do not have weights listed on the nutritional info. It's either 1/2 cup or 125 mL. No grams. No ounces. No listed set-point for weighing.

I use an ice cream scoop. It's a piddly amount of ice cream. It's what happens when people use liquid measurements for semi-solids and I certainly haven't met anyone who lets ice cream melt down to complete liquid form before measuring out a serving.

I live in the US and ice cream does have a weight associated with the half cup. The Edys I'm looking at right now says 60g.