Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?

You will note I said on a regular basis. The more calorie restrictive diet someone is on the more they need to concentrate on nutrient dense foods.

The banana is a more nutrient dense food for the calories than the ice cream.

I did notice you said on a regular basis. When I was losing weight, I regularly ate foods that one wouldn't consider "nutrient dense." Yet I still managed to meet my nutritional needs. I think someone could regularly choose a serving of ice cream instead of a serving of fruit and still meet their needs -- the context of the other foods they are choosing will play a role in this.

If you notice, I said the more calorie restrictive diet, the more someone needs to concentrate on nutrient dense foods. Would you not agree with that?

If someone is on a 1200 calorie a day diet I doubt if nutritional needs are met if a serving of ice cream is part of that diet on a regular basis (i.e, daily or every 2-3 days).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?

You will note I said on a regular basis. The more calorie restrictive diet someone is on the more they need to concentrate on nutrient dense foods.

I did notice you said on a regular basis. When I was losing weight, I regularly ate foods that one wouldn't consider "nutrient dense." Yet I still managed to meet my nutritional needs. I think someone could regularly choose a serving of ice cream instead of a serving of fruit and still meet their needs -- the context of the other foods they are choosing will play a role in this.

If you notice, I said the more calorie restrictive diet, the more someone needs to concentrate on nutrient dense foods. If someone is on a 1200 calorie a day diet I doubt if nutritional needs are met if a serving of ice cream is part of that diet on a regular basis (i.e, daily or every 2-3 days).

Bananas aren't magic. I ate in the 1,200-1,300 calorie range for a big part of my weight loss and I was able to sometimes have foods that were higher in fat and carbohydrates and still meet my calorie needs. If 150 calories of banana are key to meeting the nutritional needs for the day, then choose the banana. But choosing the banana likely isn't going to be the only way to meet one's needs every day.

What are you thinking will be missed without the banana?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

If you notice, I said the more calorie restrictive diet, the more someone needs to concentrate on nutrient dense foods. If someone is on a 1200 calorie a day diet I doubt if nutritional needs are met if a serving of ice cream is part of that diet on a regular basis (i.e, daily or every 2-3 days).

Bananas aren't magic. I ate in the 1,200-1,300 calorie range for a big part of my weight loss and I was able to sometimes have foods that were higher in fat and carbohydrates and still meet my calorie needs. If 150 calories of banana are key to meeting the nutritional needs for the day, then choose the banana. But choosing the banana likely isn't going to be the only way to meet one's needs every day.

Look up the nutritional content of a banana vs your favorite ice cream and you will have the answer.

You may have met your calorie needs, but did you meet your nutritional needs, proper macro split, appropriate micros?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    :p sounds YUMMY! Too bad I'm allergic to bananas!! :sad:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Look up the nutritional content of a banana vs your favorite ice cream and you will have the answer.

You may have met your calorie needs, but did you meet your nutritional needs, proper macro split, appropriate micros?

Most people don't find carbs particularly hard to hit, which is what a banana mainly is. It really does depend, are you trying to hit fat/protein/calcium/riboflavin? Ice cream is a better choice. Are you trying to hit carbs/potassium/B6? A banana is a better choice.

Either way I find this discussion to be too theoretical. In practice, most health-conscious people make good overall choices regardless what kind of ice cream they prefer. If your choices were about nutritional density 100% of the time you would pick nuts over oils for fat 100% of the time, so sauteing and roasting are out of the question, and you would be blending frozen kale for ice cream instead of bananas.

Moral of the story, eat whatever is appealing to you, or both. I personally find frozen bananas nasty.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Seeing as bananas are mostly sugar, I'd bet on the ice cream having better macros.
    And the micronutrient content of bananas doesn't look too amazing considering the non-trivial amount of calories they have.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/micronutrients-bananas-3058.html
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm more likely to be short on calcium than anything in a banana.

Nothing wrong with a banana -- I just finished eating 155 calories of one -- but it's not usually the missing piece of my nutritional needs. I tend to eat other fruit (and of course vegetables) more because the banana is pretty high cal, and a banana mostly before or after a workout, to give me some sugar/carbs, in part, and because it tastes good. Once you add sugar or oreos or whatever else people were suggesting to the banana, let's not pretend it's that different from ice cream, except ice cream has more fat (and is less fussy to prepare, which is why I'm going to stick to my banana out of the peel, easy-peasy).

In any case, the banana was vastly superior for me today, because I just came in from running in the cold and snow, and ice cream is the last thing I want.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you are a vegan (and i'll touch on that in a second) there is NO REASON to ever eat "nice cream".

It doesn't taste as good as ice cream.
    It has the same if not MORE calories than regular ice cream. Especially if you make it with peanut butter or flavorings.
    It takes more work than ice cream.

What's the point? Seriously, i cringe when people think this is somehow "healthier" and "guilt free!" when in fact you could just be not eating an entire pint of regular ice cream.

And if you're vegan? There are STILL more options of non-dairy ice creams made with soy milk, rice milk, sorbets, etc. that taste better and are lower in cals than "nice cream".

P.S. If you're vegan, Ben and Jerry's has non-dairy ice cream now that looks AMAZING.

I haven't tried the Ben and Jerry's non-dairy yet (it does look great), but So Delicious cashew milk ice cream is incredible.

Agreed. There are a few of the So Delicious options I've really liked. Mostly low cal, too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of banana 'nice cream' but stopped because it had a tendency to give me a sore, itchy mouth. Which is weird because non- frozen bananas have never had that effect and nor has regular ice cream, so its not to do with the cold.

Glad I'm not the only one! Except my issue is with all bananas, all the time.

• slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I love the posters on this site. Someone just posted an alternative to ice that they enjoy and it turns into a sugar, no sugar-ice cream, no ice cream, controversial debate. Great reading. Thank you

haha SPOT ON! the lady is just posting a suggestion about something she enjoys and thought others might and some people react to her post with hostility and knit picking - sure facts are great, but sometimes its great to be grateful that someone is nice enough to post something she thought others on here might appreciate.
  • bdt0831
    bdt0831 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero. The WHOLE DAMN PINT is 150 calories!! Hello?!?!?!?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bdt0831 wrote: »

We don't have it here, but from what I've heard it doesn't resemble ice cream at all. 150 calories for a whole pint, I can't even begin to imagine the taste or texture..
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I love the posters on this site. Someone just posted an alternative to ice that they enjoy and it turns into a sugar, no sugar-ice cream, no ice cream, controversial debate. Great reading. Thank you

In next weeks episode, we tell you how the macro balance of a bowl of cereal with milk fills the calcium need more than dry grain products alone.

I like banana's. I also like ice cream. That doesn't mean that ice cream is always a better fit for me or what I'm in the mood for. I thought it was an alternative that sounded like it might be tasty. As for calorie density, to me it seems obvious that unless someone uses a no fat ice cream or alternative, then the ice cream will be more calorie dense. Fat has more calories per gram than carbs do, so the math is fairly quick.

So my opinion is that any person should eat what they choose.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    bdt0831 wrote: »

We don't have it here, but from what I've heard it doesn't resemble ice cream at all. 150 calories for a whole pint, I can't even begin to imagine the taste or texture..

Yup, I have heard that it is a bit of a travesty. I have to say, one of the reasons I failed so many times in the past and have succeeded now is that I've finally stopped trying to convince myself that a lot of something which pretends to be a treat is as good as a little of something that actually is. For 150 calories I can have a very, very tasty ice cream treat.
  • cbeau1991
    cbeau1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just seeing cups used as a solid measurement gives me the eye twitch. Even more so since I now know it's right there on US nutritional labels.

But you know, I think I have eaten that little before. But it was Ben & Jerrys, very rich and still rock solid out of the freezer so hard work to eat. Mango sorbet though, I could eat that for days on end.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just seeing cups used as a solid measurement gives me the eye twitch. Even more so since I now know it's right there on US nutritional labels.

But you know, I think I have eaten that little before. But it was Ben & Jerrys, very rich and still rock solid out of the freezer so hard work to eat. Mango sorbet though, I could eat that for days on end.

I made lemon and basil sorbet the other day. I could demolish the whole tub in a sitting!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

In next weeks episode, we tell you how the macro balance of a bowl of cereal with milk fills the calcium need more than dry grain products alone.

I like banana's. I also like ice cream. That doesn't mean that ice cream is always a better fit for me or what I'm in the mood for.

Agreed with all of this. But I don't think ice cream is something one should feel guilty about, as was suggested, or not "nice."

And I really hate pretending like a banana is ice cream and think bananas are best as bananas (and I obviously like them, as I spent 155 calories on a big one today and did not have ice cream).
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???

Yes, I have ice cream a lot, and I typically have .5 cup (except based on the grams for that serving size) or maybe .6 or .62 if I'm not in the mood to measure exactly and have room (it's typically the last thing I have for the day). It's rare I have a lot more, and that's only if I'm really low on calories.

On the other hand, I never have the Breyers slow churned stuff with the low calories, since if you look at the weight it's a much smaller serving size in the half cup, and I don't find it as tasty as the ice creams I tend to eat (including the So Delicious frozen desserts or the WF gelato, both of which can be quite low cal).