Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Lyrica7 wrote: »
    "As a former pre-diabetic I can tell you for a fact that the fat and protein in the ice cream make the blood sugar spike (and consequently insulin) much smoother than the sugar in the banana, at least in my case. Bananas are delicious, but nothing can replace the richness of ice cream satiety-wise, at least for me."

I agree with this-I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and ice cream will trigger a hypoglycemic episode but the frozen banana does not at least in my case.

It was the opposite in my case. Probably because the kind of ice cream I usually eat is unusually rich.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    DawnLPB wrote: »
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body. Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike. Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what. Sometimes u just need the real thing but don't just assume that since banana and ice cream may have the same calories they can be interchanged- once you eat them there is a big differance in how they effect your body
    1. There is hardly any fiber in a banana. In fact, bananas are one of the best fruits to eat if you are looking for a little "sugar rush".
    2. Ice cream has fat and protein in it, which also blunt the speed that sugar is digested.

If I'm hungry, and I eat just a banana, I will get a sugar rush and in an hour be hungry. If I'm hungry and eat a serving of good quality ice cream, I will be set for the night.

And I don't need to worry about insulin spikes, because I am not diabetic. Despite the fact that I eat ice cream almost every day (and some fruit every day) I hardly ever go over even the low sugar limit MFP gives.

Context is important. Yes, if you ate straight granulated sugar in quantity every day, or all-sugar treats like jello, or fruit-flavored hard candies, etc. in large quantities, what you are describing could cause problems. But sugar in any food that has fiber, fat, or protein is handled by the body the same, whether it is naturally occurring or added.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???

I've been known to log 197g of ice cream, so no - aint no half cup happenin' around here.

• Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry typing on the fly. Doesn't matter if it's rich or not for me sigh I luv Häagen-Dazs but not worth getting sick.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Turkey Hill Moose Tracks light ice cream has been a game changer for me. It's 140 calories for 1/2 cup and doesn't taste any different from the real stuff.

There's that 1/2 a cup again. Does anyone actually only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream???

How do you measure out your ice cream? Do you scoop it into a 1/2 cup measuring cup or use an ice cream scoop (1/2 cup) or do you let it melt down to measure 125 mL? Having lived in the U.S. and Canada, ice creams do not have weights listed on the nutritional info. It's either 1/2 cup or 125 mL. No grams. No ounces. No listed set-point for weighing.

I use an ice cream scoop. It's a piddly amount of ice cream. It's what happens when people use liquid measurements for semi-solids and I certainly haven't met anyone who lets ice cream melt down to complete liquid form before measuring out a serving.

I live in the US and ice cream does have a weight associated with the half cup. The Edys I'm looking at right now says 60g.

Yep, I'm in NY and every package of ice cream I get has the weight per serving listed. And I have found good quality ice cream is one of the foods that when I weigh it out, it looks like ALOT more than that 1/2 cup would've been!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose

No, this is wrong. Depending on the fruit it will have fructose, glucose, sucrose, and various other sugars. A 110 cal banana has about 6 g of fructose, about the same amount of glucose, and the rest is sucrose.

Sucrose breaks down to 50% glucose and fructose. The sugar in ice cream would be sucrose (unless it's some type that uses HFCS, which generally would not be the higher-quality and tastier ice creams). Thus, the sugar in both the banana and the ice cream would ultimately amount to about half fructose and half glucose.

It is true they are metabolized differently to some extent -- the fructose by the liver -- but this is usually used to scare people off of fructose (incorrectly, IMO), and not some advantage for fructose over glucose and sucrose. But in any case here I don't see much of a difference.
    and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body.

This was covered upthread. That there are other differences between the ice cream and the banana besides the sugar is NOT a difference between the sugars.

I'm more likely to be low on calcium (which ice cream has a bit of) than anything in the banana (a banana doesn't have much more fiber than ice cream -- the two I compared above have a 2 g difference -- and personally I'm never low on fiber and wouldn't rely on a banana as a particularly good source).

Bananas are great, again, and IMO better as a pre-workout fuel or quick post workout snack (although I'd add some protein too) than ice cream, but ice cream has its own positives, like sometimes hitting the spot perfectly after dinner.
    Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike.

No. First of all, whether there's an insulin spike depends on the overall content of the food. Ice cream is high in fat, which would tend to make a spike less likely, and, indeed, the GI and GL of ice cream is LOWER than that of the banana.

Even more significantly, an insulin spike has nothing to do with whether you put on fat. What determines that is whether you are in a calorie deficit or surplus (this is also why claims that bananas cause you to gain fat are stupid).
    Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what.

I don't have cravings after eating ice cream (and again, if the cravings are supposedly resulting from insulin, avoid the banana before the ice cream), and a lot of people who are carb sensitive might be better off with ice cream over a banana (especially since you can get a lot lower sugar frozen desserts than a banana, although I'm not particularly recommending them).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body. Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike. Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what. Sometimes u just need the real thing but don't just assume that since banana and ice cream may have the same calories they can be interchanged- once you eat them there is a big differance in how they effect your body

The sugar in fruit is NOT just fructose.
    I repeat.
    Fruits do not exclusively or even mostly contain free fructose.

Fruits contain a mix of fructose, glucose and sucrose. Sucrose is table sugar.
    The white crystal stuff you put in your coffee? Extracted from a plant by steeping it in hot water.
    There is no difference between natural and refined sugar because refined sugar IS natural.

About 20% of a banana's sugar is table sugar.
    http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2010/443.htm
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Nobody is arguing that a banana and ice cream are literally interchangable -- they have different amounts of macro and micronutrients. The argument is whether there is a difference between the sugar in a banana and the sugar in ice cream.

The fiber in fruit doesn't make *me* feel more full no matter what. I still feel like I get a sugar rush from very sweet fruits (like bananas, grapes, or pineapple) unless they are combined with other foods and they don't curb my hunger.

Many of them don't have much fiber anyway. Bananas do fill me up, but whatever the reason why it's unlikely to be the fiber.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

How do you measure out your ice cream? Do you scoop it into a 1/2 cup measuring cup or use an ice cream scoop (1/2 cup) or do you let it melt down to measure 125 mL? Having lived in the U.S. and Canada, ice creams do not have weights listed on the nutritional info. It's either 1/2 cup or 125 mL. No grams. No ounces. No listed set-point for weighing.

I use an ice cream scoop. It's a piddly amount of ice cream. It's what happens when people use liquid measurements for semi-solids and I certainly haven't met anyone who lets ice cream melt down to complete liquid form before measuring out a serving.

I live in the US and ice cream does have a weight associated with the half cup. The Edys I'm looking at right now says 60g.

I was going to say the same thing. Even if it is a relatively new occurrence, it has been at least 1 year.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Every ice cream I've seen in the US has gram information. This is what I use. (Talenti is usually around 100 g for a "half cup" serving.)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There is always confusion about the "sugar" in fruit versus sugar In other foods or table sugar. The "sugar" In fruit is really fructose

No, this is wrong. Depending on the fruit it will have fructose, glucose, sucrose, and various other sugars. A 110 cal banana has about 6 g of fructose, about the same amount of glucose, and the rest is sucrose.

Sucrose breaks down to 50% glucose and fructose. The sugar in ice cream would be sucrose (unless it's some type that uses HFCS, which generally would not be the higher-quality and tastier ice creams). Thus, the sugar in both the banana and the ice cream would ultimately amount to about half fructose and half glucose.

It is true they are metabolized differently to some extent -- the fructose by the liver -- but this is usually used to scare people off of fructose (incorrectly, IMO), and not some advantage for fructose over glucose and sucrose. But in any case here I don't see much of a difference.
    and the biggest differance is how you body digests it- fruit has fiber and other beneficial vitamins where ice cream while 1/2 cup has the same calories as a banana has a big differance on how it effects your body.

This was covered upthread. That there are other differences between the ice cream and the banana besides the sugar is NOT a difference between the sugars.

I'm more likely to be low on calcium (which ice cream has a bit of) than anything in the banana (a banana doesn't have much more fiber than ice cream -- the two I compared above have a 2 g difference -- and personally I'm never low on fiber and wouldn't rely on a banana as a particularly good source).

Bananas are great, again, and IMO better as a pre-workout fuel or quick post workout snack (although I'd add some protein too) than ice cream, but ice cream has its own positives, like sometimes hitting the spot perfectly after dinner.
    Regular sugar gets digested right away and causes a blood sugar and insulin to spike and excess sugar stored as fat where the sugar in fruit is digested slowly and slows the bodies digestion of glucose so there is no insulin spike.

No. First of all, whether there's an insulin spike depends on the overall content of the food. Ice cream is high in fat, which would tend to make a spike less likely, and, indeed, the GI and GL of ice cream is LOWER than that of the banana.

Even more significantly, an insulin spike has nothing to do with whether you put on fat. What determines that is whether you are in a calorie deficit or surplus (this is also why claims that bananas cause you to gain fat are stupid).
    Which will help you with cravings once the sugar rush comes down and fruit will make you feel more full no matter what.

I don't have cravings after eating ice cream (and again, if the cravings are supposedly resulting from insulin, avoid the banana before the ice cream), and a lot of people who are carb sensitive might be better off with ice cream over a banana (especially since you can get a lot lower sugar frozen desserts than a banana, although I'm not particularly recommending them).

Good breakdown of the facts as always.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes to this.

Starting to weigh my food is how I figured out I'd been eating about a serving of ice cream all along. Well, unless it replaced dinner. Then it was more like 3 :wink:

ETA: And it's been at least 3 years that the serving weight has been available.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What's with calling it "nice cream"? There's no cream in it. Call it "iced bananas". (Plus, this cutesy use of "nice" indicates that something's *not* nice about authentic ice cream.)

If one is vegan, what's not nice about ice cream made from cream is the exploitation of cows.

Eh, that's not how it's being talked about in this thread.

Your question was about why is it called Nice Cream. How it is discussed on this thread is irrelevant to the origin of the name.

• kshama2001
    Options

For flavors I adore, no way. However, I can buy the mini cups (which do not come in my favorite flavors) and stop at one of them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I use a food scale for everything. Only use cups for fluids.

125ml of ice cream would 100% leave me going back for more. That's more like a childs serving.. It's doable, but wouldn't be satisfying for me.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I love the posters on this site. Someone just posted an alternative to ice that they enjoy and it turns into a sugar, no sugar-ice cream, no ice cream, controversial debate. Great reading. Thank you

The OP said she could eat this guilt-free. Many of us pointed out that this premise is flawed as a cup of bananas has 200 calories, so more calories than a serving of many brands of ice cream.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Just google "difference between refined sugar and sugar found naturally in food" and make up your own mind.

Just FYI - you can also google "Alien landing in USA" and get conflicting reports.

TL;DR Telling someone to "Google" something isn't a good way to support any given position.

(and I love that my tl;dr is actually longer than my comment)

I dont want to tell people what to think - I want to encourage people to think for themselves. I only offer the start - where they finish is entirely up to them, about sugar or aliens!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just google "difference between refined sugar and sugar found naturally in food" and make up your own mind.

Just FYI - you can also google "Alien landing in USA" and get conflicting reports.

TL;DR Telling someone to "Google" something isn't a good way to support any given position.

(and I love that my tl;dr is actually longer than my comment)

I dont want to tell people what to think - I want to encourage people to think for themselves. I only offer the start - where they finish is entirely up to them, about sugar or aliens!

If you want people to think for themselves, directing them to accurate sources is a great first step. You can find anything on Google, so just Googling something can often be incredibly unhelpful. What sources did you find helpful when making up your own mind on the issue?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Random fun fact: Sucrose is made by plants. We use super-sweet plants like sugar-cane and sugar-beets, mash them up, boil them & crystallize out the sugar. Wonderful by-products include molasses (which is pretty sweet, too) and beet pulp / cane pulp. Beet pulp is very high in fiber, and is used in animal feed. It's actually a quite nice addition to our foods, too, it is rather flavorful, but the FDA approval process more or less has held up its commercial sale for 30 years now.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think there'd be a WHOLE LOT LESS PUSHBACK if the sweet dessert was presented this way:
    "I love eating mashed frozen bananas! It's delicious and creamy, and satisfies my sweet tooth. Added bonus - extra potassium and a bit of fiber!"

Instead of this way:
    "Ice cream is bad for you but frozen bananas taste JUST THE SAME and are good for you!" (paraphrase)

The original post and subsequent defenses attracted a lot of criticism because of
    (1) dishonest portrayal of texture/flavor
    (2) nutritionally inaccurate critique of a popular food
    (3) nutritionally inaccurate critiques of sugar

So please, by all means, spread the word about tasty frozen bananas. I like blended frozen fruit, too. I'd recommend leaving ice cream out of it, though. The comparison more or less invites disagreement.

p.s.
    MyFitnessPal has a great forum SPECIFICALLY for this kind of sharing... "Food and Nutrition", or maybe Recipes. I'm not saying it doesn't belong here (not my call) only that I think maybe that audience would probably be a lot more receptive to the recipe idea and less likely to jump on the implicit biases.