WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Yvonne in TX – Being without Internet service for a full week was ‘awful’. I did not miss my emails nearly as much as I missed being able to get on MFP to track and post. Where I live we only have one choice of an ISP.

Michele in NC – My Daddy was in his early 50’s before he had his first cavity; and, he lived with a dentist for years. My baby teeth were horrible; but, my adult teeth were better; although I lost several. I have about 5 posts in my mouth, two holding a 3 tooth bridge in, my front teeth were evened across the front; dentist said that I had a ‘horseshoe’ palette which he said was a form of a birth defect. I’ve never been able to whistle at all until he evened my front teeth. I’d love to be able to be taught how to stick 2 fingers in my mouth and do that loud whistle. I can ‘barely’ whistle, but, I can do it. My Mother’s teeth were good. Mine were so small that everybody asked me if they were my baby teeth. Only real issue I have is that I take Dilantin for seizure control and it make my gums swell over them; got to go back to dentist to have some more gum cut back to expose them. Won’t ever change as long as I am on it. Neurologist has attempted to wean me off it; but, if I get down to 135mg a day, I have a seizure. Not worth it to me. I’d rather go to the dentist every 6 months than be on a driving restriction for 6 months.

Heather – Beautiful baby.

Gayle Minneapolis – Babies don’t sleep that contently all the time; they wake up about every 3 hours; it’s like ‘eating like a bird’ … they don’t eat just a little … they eat all the time. I’ll go on my schedule for both. LOL! I’ll never understand why parents don’t have their children’s stand out ears pinned back … that is an operation that was done back when I was a child to a HS classmate of mine. Stick out ears are always things that kids are cruelly made fun of; such a shame, when there is something that can be done about it.

Mary from Minnesota – Shortly after we got “Cracker” she started following me at the left heel; she normally stays there unless chasing something. I’ve learned that I don’t have to turn to the right looking for her, she’ll always be behind my left foot. It’s almost as if someone had started trying to teach her to ‘heel’. She’s a nosey little one; but, we have to keep her out of the tall grass. She’ll get her rattlesnake shot this Spring. Our JRT got bitten by a rattlesnake and since the vets here only use an answering service and none of them returned our call, I called the vet in Albany that we had always used and he waited for us to bring her in after I paged him. The vets’ office always has a pager on the vet on duty. Same when Cracker ran into the wheel on my son’s truck – there when I called. So, we continue using the Albany vets.

Heather – Bea is one pretty baby!

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi,
    so I have read everything... just forgot to keep notes!
    but Barbie - I can not tell you how often I think of you each day --- your tag line which I can not quote but basically have it now and forgo what you want or wait and get what you really want... it runs through my head about finances and calories everytime I make a decision... and I don't always pick right but far more often with that quote in my head.

THANK YOU!
    Kim in N. Cal

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

I saw this quote on someone's post on MFP years ago and adopted it for myself and share it whenever I can. It was meaningful then and is even more so now. I'm glad that it has been useful to you. :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I willbe 57 in May. I am currently recovering from a total abdominal hysterectomy. I was having lower ab pain, dr thought it might be a hernia, ordered CT and ultrsound, no hernia but instead a uterine fibroid. My gyn dr said that since I had been through menopause that it would be best to just go ahead and remove everything to prevent any possiblitiies of getting cancer in that area. I have 2 grown children, both born via verticle c sections. My gyn cut out the old scars while doing the surgery :) Now I just have to let all that continue to heal for a while longer before I can do any real exercise, more than walking from one end of the house to the other. In the meantime I am going to focus on getting back to healthy eating. I love to exercise but I also love to eat.

If I had to choose a word for the month it would be Recovery, both physically and with better nutrition.

March Goals, for the remainder of the month:
    *Patience, I hate that word but that is where I am, waiting on my body to heal
    *Create and Establish a nutrition regimen that works for me
    * by March 28 I want to be ready to add cardio and weights on a regular basis

1959 is a great year... I will be 57 in July. I will see my gyn dr, next week to discuss my fibroid. I am in the same stage of life as you, I was told that as you go through menopause the fibroid should shrink - but apparently not. Take care - rest and regroup!

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi new to the group...looking for advice or suggestions...I am 50, diagnosed with RA and it is kicking my *kitten*! Difficult trying to stay on target with the menopause weight gain! I realized that I need to track and am trying to come up with an exercise plan that will stick! UGH! The difference in my daily activity since the diagnosis has been ...life changing and hard to accept! Can't do what I used to do!!! TIA :smile:
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and just getting back in the saddle with intentional eating (avoiding the "diet" word ;) ). My goal for the rest of March is to follow one rule - cut portions in half. After trying so many diet plans and failing, I went in search for something simple to follow that focused on real foods. My google search brought up the blog of a woman similar in age who shared her success using 5 simple rules (and 12 tips & tricks). Rule one is to cut portions in half. I think I can follow one rule :* , so I decided to start there and see how it goes. So far, I'm loving the simplicity! Looking forward to being part of this group!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Home again with this darn cold...

Damit - I think everyone else in Canada changes time - but Saskatchewan stays on the same time all year round.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Wednesday! I am loving all of the pet and baby pics! Thunderstorms last night and this morning! Did my 541x4 (I have started referring to my strength training this way=five exercises for one minute times 4) and a three minute plank. Will get in a walk tonight if it stops raining.

Heather- Baby love! I love the latest pic of Bea and her blankiebuddy! Her nose is SO cute! Makes me want to reach out and "beep" it! Wondering about your DGD's chicken pox...do they not require or offer the chicken pox vaccine where you are? Or perhaps it was the parents choice not to vaccinate for it? My kids both had the "pox". They got it right before they came out with the vaccine. I have no opinion either way on vaccination. I think it is a personal choice for each parent. Just curious, also, as to how much "medicating/vaccinating" the U.S. does vs other countries.

Allie- We have been going through the sugar issues at our home. I just recently got my hubby off coffee, because his coffees are actually liquid candy bars. So much sugar and it was making him "crash". We tried agave, Stevia, Truvia, and raw cane sugar. I ended up staying with the raw cane sugar. AFter reading articles and labels, I just went with the sweetener that went through the least amount of processing and things added. Neither of us has any health issues (other than weight). He has also switched to peppermint tea with only a tsp of sugar. He has lost five pounds in two weeks and this has been the only diet or lifestyle change for him. He is pretty pleased with himself as he has been gaining weight for months due to steroid use and poor food choices. Now if only he would eat a vegetable!

Joyce- So it sounds like Charlie's surgery went well? Here's hoping the bowel issues will subside soon! Hard for him and also for you! <3

Connie- Did I remember your name right, SugarDarlin? You have a very talented daughter! Did she get her artistic skills from you? Her paintings are very whimsical! I bet she gets a lot of clientele who want portraits of their pups!

Welcome memery7- Tell us a little about your self. How much weight are you trying to lose? Do you have a strategy or special diet or exercise program you are using? Sign your post with your name, if you'd like to be referred to by something other than your login name. I am sure you will find lots of little nuggets of info to help you along the way. I think the main rules we all try to follow, regardless of our exercise/diet/lifestyle choices, is log in every day, log every bite you eat/drink, and if your health allows, try to be active at least 30 minutes a day.

Larisa- I LOVE your goals! I don't think any of it is strange. What really pushed me into getting in better shape (other than my job) was the fact that I want to fly. Crazy, but I would love to put on one of those wing suits and base jump and fly to earth. Gotta be strong and fit to do it. My hubby thinks I am nuts. Anything that gives me the sensation of flying, I am all in!

Anne - I am with you! I know that when I feel overwhelmed or stressed, I can hop on here and these ladies make me feel so much better! I hope you get the all clear from your doc, soon. Exercise is a GREAT mood lifter!

Meg- HOpe you get some relief from the back pain, soon! <3

Miriam- I can't even imagine going home one day after c-section delivery with a two year old waiting and no help! Geez! Cape and gold stars earned! Your ex gets the Horrid Hubby of the year award! I thought my DH was bad when he fell asleep while I was in labor...

Marcelyn- Whoot! Two days under your belt! Yes, they are ALWAYS hungry! One thing I have seen before, is to have the kids make up "snack packs" and they can pick a snack pack out at snack times. I saw one woman had a little basket in the fridge for each kid, they had three snacks for each day, when their snacks were gone; they were done. Sounds like you are doing just fine, though! Enjoy your time!

Becca- I had forgotten that you were a military wife. Were you the one who spent time in Japan? Were you also in the military or simply married to it? Not that THAT is simple!

Love and hugs to all I may have missed!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    I am feeling a little bit jittery why I dont know, just a little bit off kilter..making dinner and lunch for his nibs..
    have laundry in the dryer.. and am dressed for work.. I remember my foot Dr telling me that I should just sit and rest my feet.. easier said than done...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sugardarlin love your daughter's dog paintings.

Janetr learned as long as baby squirrel is uninjured the mother squirrel will take care of the baby and get it back to the nest. I learned you should not try to feed them.

We had wrens a few years back and I saw the baby outside the nest. It sure wanted to get back to the nest. I learned this is the normal order of things. Once they are out they are not allowed back in. The parents will stay near by and try to help the young bird. I need this lesson for my own children.

:heart: Margaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I have a cold that has knocked me for a loop. I have to sub tomorrow and Friday and preach at my mother's church on Sunday. Her pastor is having a hernia repair. Mama has invited the whole world! I have a doctors appointment at 11:00. Hopefully he can give me a miracle shot. I do not have time to be sick!

Beatrice is beautiful.

Hugs to Beth.

On a lighter note re internet medical advice. I decided once that my over-endowment was the cause of some back and shoulder pain, and I wanted to see what Dr. Google had to say about it. Without thinking about it much, I typed "big breasts" into the search engine. I learned very quickly that I should have been more specific.

Later,
    K

• SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Margaret, Thank you :)
    KJLaMore, Thank you,she doesn't get her painting skills from me, I did have a great aunt though who painted. She stays booked with commission paintings. She only started painting in Sept 2010.
    Coffeeandpie, Welcome to the group :) Sounds like you have a plan which includes baby steps towards a healthier life. Going cold turkey or trying to change too much too quickly can be overwhelming. Wish you much success.
    Lillian, wish you well with your fibroid, I thought they shrunk after menopause but not mine.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    ha ha ha Katie~ I had a friend who had size G :open_mouth: she has fybromialsa(sp) and had a breast reduction and insurance paid because of that...
    laundry and dinner and lunch done, now onto the floors.. my heels are yelling at me, but just have to muddle through.. I can't afford to go back to the podiatrist and cortisone shots...
  • SugarDarlin1959
    Options
    barbiecat, I like your quote: The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
    My new motto is: Don't feel deprived of foods that are unhealthy, feel deprived by foods that keep me unhealthy.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,690 Member
    Options
    morning peeps =

there was this guy that asked to be my friend on mfp. I looked at his profile and wondered why.. he had the pics of his abs and selfies of himself in sunglasses., etc... I looked at his other friends and they were all pretty females. one part of me said, well , he saw my profile pic and thought I qualified for another one of those pretty girls, then I thought, there is no obvious reason why, I didn't think there was anything I could say to help him reach his goals or give him tips on running or biking, motivation, etc.. so I just deleted the request..

oh yeah, I was too lazy to reply to him to ask him why he wanted me to friend him :0/
  • SugarDarlin1959
    Options
    Joyce, Michele, Gayle, MsWolf, Thank you for your sweet comments about my daughter's paintngs :) She only started painting in Sept 2010. She has a Bachlor degree in Spanich, did not study art in school. She took some lessons at a local art studio and within 2 months she was painting big beautiful paintings. Her love for her dogs led her to painting dogs. She takes pics of the dog, gets to know a bit about the dog and its owner, then paints the dog with a hat and adds a cute saying.
    grandmallie, I understand the foot pain, I too got a cortison shot int my heel, I haven't had any problems since. I try to wear shoes with good ach support insoles
    Anne, I too am waiting to get back to exercise, I don't like not being able to do anything
    memery, at a local fitness studio I am a part of, I set up an excel program that tracked not only our weight for a challenge but also our measurements because sometimes the scales don't tell the whole truth. Each week we weighed and measured then the results were in total percentage.
    ArkLaMiss Connie
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    For your entertainment since most of us can really relate:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QzHeUE-CM

Get ready to giggle!!

❤️ Carol in NC
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. I just want to say I am loving reading all your post. Loving all the pics!
    I'm not feeling good at all. My stomach. Not a cold or flu. I think I had one too many bowls of the cabbage and
    beef soup I made yesterday. But it was soo good!

Congrats on the grand baby Heather! She is precious!

Have a great day everyone!

Wendy from TN.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    I saw this on facebook and shared it~ isn't it a hoot?
    well chores are done hair washed, and ready for work at 1, I will take the dogs for a walk around the block and then check on our friends house and go to the dump before finally getting to work..
    Mary (troll) was a pill yesterday when I got in... Jeanette asked me to do laundry , we have to lock the washer and dryer because the upstairs uses it and because of the nature of our business, and OSHA it is just for our use, they run a massage place upstairs,personally we all think there might be something else going on there.. but who am I to say.. anyway Mary snarked at me when I asked where the keys are, well I will tell you after I finish my lunch.. they are hanging in the back closet,that is all she had to tell me,,, what a jerk.. then she is complaining about me to Diane (the real manager) as I am right there in the office.. Honest she is such a little witch... but I digress...