Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Numerio wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

What if I eat carbs instead of protein????

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

As someone with an ileostomy i can assure you with 100% accuracy that the digestive system doesn't slow down at night.

Hmm, that's odd. The top rated pediatric motility doctor on the west coast (US) who installed the ileostomy for a relative of mine told us that the digestive system does slow down at night. It doesn't stop, obviously. But that it does slow.

It could be dependent on how much you eat, meal timing (since the transit time is a lot faster) and how much intestine there is left but tmi but mine is most active between 2 am and noon and immediately after I eat. It's least active during the afternoon.

Interesting. It's been a while since she told us that so not sure of the context. At the time he had not had any intestine removed, but his diet (content and timing) have always been strictly controlled.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

As someone with an ileostomy i can assure you with 100% accuracy that the digestive system doesn't slow down at night.

Hmm, that's odd. The top rated pediatric motility doctor on the west coast (US) who installed the ileostomy for a relative of mine told us that the digestive system does slow down at night. It doesn't stop, obviously. But that it does slow.

It could be dependent on how much you eat, meal timing (since the transit time is a lot faster) and how much intestine there is left but tmi but mine is most active between 2 am and noon and immediately after I eat. It's least active during the afternoon.

Interesting. It's been a while since she told us that so not sure of the context. At the time he had not had any intestine removed, but his diet (content and timing) have always been strictly controlled.

TMI alert

The less intestine= more liquid the output which I think travels faster than the usual output. I have learned so much about how to manipulate it with certain foods (carby stuff like bread, pasta, chips, rice thicken itusually but other carby stuff like vegetables, fruit juice and candy more liquidy) though sometimed it doesn't work lol
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Either too hungry or too full will make it hard to sleep.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

TMI alert

The less intestine= more liquid the output which I think travels faster than the usual output. I have learned so much about how to manipulate it with certain foods (carby stuff like bread, pasta, chips, rice thicken itusually but other carby stuff like vegetables, fruit juice and candy more liquidy) though sometimed it doesn't work lol

But what does more liquid output mean in terms of slower digestion at night? Though with an ileostomy the rules would be different than a normal healthy person anyway since much of the waste never moves past the ileum.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/9/2375.long

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

protein causes a similar insulin spike...

No it doesnt

actually it does..

This is very basic nutrition. Not something that's up for debate haha

You're correct, it's not up for debate haha. Except that you're misinformed (as usual) and trying to debate the wrong side of it. Protein causes an insulin spike similar to that of carbohydrate. Here's the science, plenty of peer-reviewed studies referenced and linked: http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Did you even look at the studies that were listed in the article you posted?

They repeat, they're off topic from what the article is trying to make it seem as the study is saying and you can't even see the full study, just the abstract.

ETA:

the study says this:

"Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related."

then the article says this:

"In fact, one study found beef to stimulate just as much insulin secretion as brown rice.  The blood sugar response of 38 different foods could only explain 23% of the variability in insulin secretion in this study.  Thus, there's a lot more that's behind insulin secretion than just carbohydrate."

I guess you missed this part...
    tpqou4uwitw0.png

Comparison of insulin response between low protein, high carb meal and high protein, low carb meal

Thank you. He simply cherry-picked a couple sentences completely out of context in an attempt to "prove" his errant thinking.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such a great discussion, thanks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

No it doesnt

actually it does..

You're correct, it's not up for debate haha. Except that you're misinformed (as usual) and trying to debate the wrong side of it. Protein causes an insulin spike similar to that of carbohydrate. Here's the science, plenty of peer-reviewed studies referenced and linked: http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

They repeat, they're off topic from what the article is trying to make it seem as the study is saying and you can't even see the full study, just the abstract.

ETA:

the study says this:

"Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related."

"In fact, one study found beef to stimulate just as much insulin secretion as brown rice.  The blood sugar response of 38 different foods could only explain 23% of the variability in insulin secretion in this study.  Thus, there's a lot more that's behind insulin secretion than just carbohydrate."

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Comparison of insulin response between low protein, high carb meal and high protein, low carb meal

Thank you. He simply cherry-picked a couple sentences completely out of context in an attempt to "prove" his errant thinking.

Not surprising
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Here's the whole abstract since you were unable to check for yourself. Out of context? Nope.

"The aim of this study was to systematically compare postprandial insulin responses to isoenergetic 1000-kJ (240-kcal) portions of several common foods. Correlations with nutrient content were determined. Thirty-eight foods separated into six food categories (fruit, bakery products, snacks, carbohydrate-rich foods, protein-rich foods, and breakfast cereals) were fed to groups of 11-13 healthy subjects. Finger-prick blood samples were obtained every 15 min over 120 min. An insulin score was calculated from the area under the insulin response curve for each food with use of white bread as the reference food (score = 100%). Significant differences in insulin score were found both within and among the food categories and also among foods containing a similar amount of carbohydrate. Overall, glucose and insulin scores were highly correlated (r = 0.70, P < 0.001, n = 38). However, protein-rich foods and bakery products (rich in fat and refined carbohydrate) elicited insulin responses that were disproportionately higher than their glycemic responses. Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related. Consideration of insulin scores may be relevant to the dietary management and pathogenesis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and hyperlipidemia and may help increase the accuracy of estimating preprandial insulin requirements."

You guys always talk about, if you claim it to be true, you gotta back it up. Looks like you guys can't do that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Here's the whole abstract since you were unable to check for yourself. Out of context? Nope.

"The aim of this study was to systematically compare postprandial insulin responses to isoenergetic 1000-kJ (240-kcal) portions of several common foods. Correlations with nutrient content were determined. Thirty-eight foods separated into six food categories (fruit, bakery products, snacks, carbohydrate-rich foods, protein-rich foods, and breakfast cereals) were fed to groups of 11-13 healthy subjects. Finger-prick blood samples were obtained every 15 min over 120 min. An insulin score was calculated from the area under the insulin response curve for each food with use of white bread as the reference food (score = 100%). Significant differences in insulin score were found both within and among the food categories and also among foods containing a similar amount of carbohydrate. Overall, glucose and insulin scores were highly correlated (r = 0.70, P < 0.001, n = 38). However, protein-rich foods and bakery products (rich in fat and refined carbohydrate) elicited insulin responses that were disproportionately higher than their glycemic responses. Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related. Consideration of insulin scores may be relevant to the dietary management and pathogenesis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and hyperlipidemia and may help increase the accuracy of estimating preprandial insulin requirements."

You guys always talk about, if you claim it to be true, you gotta back it up. Looks like you guys can't do that.

What point do you believe you have made? I'm just trying to follow this discussion, and I think you are talking at cross purposes (at best).

And back to the initial assertion that you are trying to defend: apart from the possible effect on sleep (which will be individual and has zero to do with choosing protein over carbs), what is the difference for weight loss between eating 2000 calories, with 1000 calories of carbs, all eaten before 5 pm, and a diet that instead includes 2000 calories, and 1000 calories of carbs, in which 200 of the carb calories are consumed at 10 pm?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Please explain this then...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I suspect there is some confusion about respective glucose and insulin responses...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Lol you do realize this proves what we are saying, right guy?
  • J72FIT
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

I suspect not...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

I was sure this was the case but thought I might be wrong because he is so adamant he's in opposition to the assertion protein causes the same response.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    "However, protein-rich foods and bakery products (rich in fat and refined carbohydrate) elicited insulin responses that were disproportionately higher than their glycemic responses..."

Just saying...
  • Rammer123
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    "However, protein-rich foods and bakery products (rich in fat and refined carbohydrate) elicited insulin responses that were disproportionately higher than their glycemic responses..."

Just saying...

Right, but nothing shows that protein and carbs have a similar insulin response.

Protein could cause a 1 unit increase in blood glucose and a 2 unit increase in insulin.
    Carbohydrates could cause a 10 unit increase in blood glucose and a 10 unit increase in insulin.

By those numbers the statement still makes sense and is true, but the insulin increase in the protein vs. the carbs is not the same.

• Rammer123
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

What point do you believe you have made? I'm just trying to follow this discussion, and I think you are talking at cross purposes (at best).

And back to the initial assertion that you are trying to defend: apart from the possible effect on sleep (which will be individual and has zero to do with choosing protein over carbs), what is the difference for weight loss between eating 2000 calories, with 1000 calories of carbs, all eaten before 5 pm, and a diet that instead includes 2000 calories, and 1000 calories of carbs, in which 200 of the carb calories are consumed at 10 pm?

I think you may be confused again about who said what and what I actually said.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

You asserted that what that poster said was correct.

Then we went off on this seemingly pointless tangent on insulin response, since you seem to want to defend the idea that carbs are bad because insulin response.

That assumes insulin response is bad, which it is not, and that protein doesn't lead to an insulin response (which isn't true -- the side discussion). But the bigger point goes back to the assertion that one should not eat carbs before bed.
  • Rammer123
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

Then we went off on this seemingly pointless tangent on insulin response, since you seem to want to defend the idea that carbs are bad because insulin response.

That assumes insulin response is bad, which it is not, and that protein doesn't lead to an insulin response (which isn't true -- the side discussion). But the bigger point goes back to the assertion that one should not eat carbs before bed.

I never said carbs are bad, or that they were bad because they cause an insulin response. I also never said that protein doesn't cause an insulin response. I was making a point that carbohydrates and protein do not have a similar insulin response. The insulin response from carbs is significantly greater. And I never said that people should not eat carbs before bed.

Like I said in my last post. I think you should look back at what I have said, I think you may be confused about who said what.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2017
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

ETA:

the study says this:

tpqou4uwitw0.png

I never said carbs are bad, or that they were bad because they cause an insulin response. I also never said that protein doesn't cause an insulin response. I was making a point that carbohydrates and protein do not have a similar insulin response. The insulin response from carbs is significantly greater. And I never said that people should not eat carbs before bed.

Like I said in my last post. I think you should look back at what I have said, I think you may be confused about who said what.
    [/quote]

This started because you were defending the merits of a couple of prior posts and complaining that people were disagreeing with the ideas expressed. Namely:

(I'll note that fruit isn't actually low carb, but whatever.)

Another poster (the one you specifically seemed to be agreeing with) jumped in to agree.
    ....Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

(Emphasis added by me.)

When questioned about why is protein okay, but not carbs (or fat, apparently), the poster continued:

In context it is completely, unquestionably clear that the poster is suggesting that eating carbs but not protein might mess with sleep (which seems unlikely, but I'll stipulate that that might be true, but that it seems at least as likely that eating protein would mess with sleep but not carbs, so that's not a good reason for the advice).

More significant, then, in context it is also completely, unquestionably clear that the poster is suggesting that eating carbs before bed screws with fat loss over all (not merely while sleeping, because who would care?). The poster seems to think that if you do what I suggested, eat a diet of 2000 calories, 1000 of them carbs (hypothetical TDEE is 2500), and choose to eat 200 calories of carbs before bed, that you will not lose as much weight as if you ate all 1000 calories of carbs earlier in the day.

If you think my interpretation of the poster is wrong, I'll ask why it would then matter if you ate carbs (or fat, apparently) before bed.

It's also interesting that the poster is saying you MUST eat only protein because of slowing fat burning, when eating fat would be less likely than protein to do that (and eating protein vs. a mixed meal including carbs is unlikely to make much of a difference anyway -- not that it matters).

Anyway, that's what you jumped in to defend, that advice.

So the question remains, why is it good advice to eat protein (but not fat or carbs) before bed?