Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I agree that everyone should try to be more intelligent about the recommendations and what specifically they are supposed to be changing in order to achieve the desired results - however, that's just not the nature of our society today. Look at the way people make decisions like choosing a political candidate to back, considering a possible mate, etc. our society today (and I'm speaking primarily about Americans) tends toward using quick tag lines and as brief information as possible for clicks, swipes and likes. I'm done being surprised that people hear "reduce carbs" and assume that the doctor meant that they avoid fruits and vegetables in favor of drinking 400 cals of fat in their coffee and call that healthy.

I know exactly what you mean, but I kind of feel like giving up being surprised at ignorance or that kind of thing would be to give up entirely. I think we need to try and hold people to higher standards and not give in to willful ignorance and over-simplification. Basically, I think people are capable of more, and if my doctor assumed I was too uninformed or incapable of understanding nutrition such that it had to be dumbed down to such a degree, I'd say something to my doctor and if the doctor continued I'd find a new one. It's insulting, to my way of thinking.

Yeah, I'm sometimes a crazy idealist, and I'm feeling frustrated (more about other things beyond MFP).

Oh I don't mean we should give up trying to help educate people to make more informed decisions, just that I'm going to operate more from an assumption that many people really don't know the difference and truly think they are following doctors orders when they start out and make these widespread changes with little thought as to WHY the doctor advised them to do that.... Now there will certainly be others who have heard all of this information and will still insist that cutting out vegetables in favor of a diet made up of 60-70% fat is healthier...

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    My child is diabetic and the doctor told us always to avoid processed foods of all types meaning pre-made dinners, cream of wheat, pre-made potatoes, pancake batter,ice cream, pasta is a big one, .. so eat whole foods. Okay foods are chicken, fish, some red meat, yogurt, beans, cheese, whole wheat bread(s) ,brown rice, fresh veggies and fruit etc from my understanding. Processed foods make your blood sugar go thru the roof. I love cream of wheat but it's not as good for you as you think. Yes junk food all highly processed is not good for you so McDonalds burgers are not as good for you as a veggie burger you make yourself. I'm focusing right now on this whole subject so I make my own "power shakes" I do not buy them at Panera bread. I know there are mix fresh berries with ice and non -fat yogurt and chi seeds because I made it myself. So canned tuna is just a fish in a can so probably okay but fresh tuna you cook yourself is still better. I guess if you didn't make it your self , from my understanding you can trust the ingredients 100% to be "natural', "organic" etc . But something that has been "milled" is a no-no.

I don't understand a definition of "processed" that excludes things like cheese and yogurt. Why would bread be okay but pancake batter be unacceptable?

Depends, how did you make the pancake batter? If like many folks you used Bisquick it's loaded with trans fats(at least in the US).
    Perhaps you're discussing an old formulation? Looks like a 0 grams to me, which would allow for up to .5 grams in a serving. Not exactly what I'd call loaded.
    Bisquick_Original.JPG
    Nevermind, I missed part of the post.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    My pancake mix has great macros... I love processed food...

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right

I have some of those back home. My results have not been as impressive so far.
  • Hornsby
    Options

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right

add egg whites and cinnamon.
  • senecarr
    Options

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right

Must be it - I don't like cinnamon.
  • Hornsby
    Options

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right

Make no bones about it, they aren't as good as a from scratch pancake. They are good enough though for most days. Plus, they are usually eaten with syrup, eggs and bacon so... that helps ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

IMG_1796.JPG

Kodiak brand?

you know that's right

Make no bones about it, they aren't as good as a from scratch pancake. They are good enough though for most days. Plus, they are usually eaten with syrup, eggs and bacon so... that helps ;)

I did not like them made with eggs or milk but with water I do, which I think is weird.

I make mine with close to half of the water recommended so they're thicker and (oddly enough) fluffier. Otherwise they're rather thin and tough/cardboard-y. I make one big pancake and eat it with peanut butter. Or fruit if I can't afford the calories for the peanut butter. I don't eat them for breakfast. They're more a snack or 'I want dessert but I need protein' meal.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That settles it. We're having pancakes for dinner...
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If a doctor told me to avoid "avoid processed foods" and "cut carbs" to lose weight I would assume they meant high calorie foods that provide only a small amount of needed nutrition like potato chips, cookies, cakes and fast food. I would assume they meant I should be eating vegetables and meats that I cook myself without adding additional calories. The fact that the vegetables and meat are "processed" doesn't bother me. I know what the doctor means and what 99% of the posters on MFP mean when they say it.

I think it's funny how some freak out over that phrase and pretend they don't understand what the person is saying.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    If a doctor told me to avoid "avoid processed foods" and "cut carbs" to lose weight I would assume they meant high calorie foods that provide only a small amount of needed nutrition like potato chips, cookies, cakes and fast food. I would assume they meant I should be eating vegetables and meats that I cook myself without adding additional calories. The fact that the vegetables and meat are "processed" doesn't bother me. I know what the doctor means and what 99% of the posters on MFP mean when they say it.

I think it's funny how some freak out over that phrase and pretend they don't understand what the person is saying.
    Agreed 100%.

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can be thin or even fit and still develop health problems. There's no doubt that processed foods aren't good for our health, and are contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases. Few people achieve perfection, but I think it's best to eat natural, healthy food as much as possible. I would think of processed food as an occasional treat. If all you care about is weight and physique, then that's one thing. But it's another thing to care about your health as a whole.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You can be thin or even fit and still develop health problems. There's no doubt that processed foods aren't good for our health, and are contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases. Few people achieve perfection, but I think it's best to eat natural, healthy food as much as possible. I would think of processed food as an occasional treat. If all you care about is weight and physique, then that's one thing. But it's another thing to care about your health as a whole.

Citation needed. How is cottage cheese contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yes, from genetics, infectious vectors, chance, and environmental factors beyond diet and exercise.

Being thin and fit and still getting sick does not imply anyone is ill or getting ill at an increased rate from eating processed foods.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

There are people who won't eat an apple because it is too carb heavy. There are those who won't eat a hamburger from a restaurant because it is processed, but will take protein in powder form.

Don't confuse "freaking out over a phrase" with wanting a clear definition of terms.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I would question what was meant and ask questions. I assume my dr (who is cool) would give less stupid information. If not I would fire her.

I might assune that;s what she meant, but I would cross check and confirm that I don't really eat that stuff. It's funny that "clean eaters" on MFP seem much more likely to have been fast food junkies than non clean eaters. (No point in giving up fast food oe ultra processed food if you never ate it.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'd be confused because I already eat lots of veg (check my diary) and no fast food (and no one I know eats lots of fast food).

So weird assumption.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If the doctor gave me "pancakes" as an example of what not to eat and "bread" as an example of what to eat while telling me to avoid processed foods, no. I wouldn't know what they meant.

And the number of questions we see on these boards indicate that this confusion is pretty widespread.
  • senecarr
    Options
    You can be thin or even fit and still develop health problems. There's no doubt that processed foods aren't good for our health, and are contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases. Few people achieve perfection, but I think it's best to eat natural, healthy food as much as possible. I would think of processed food as an occasional treat. If all you care about is weight and physique, then that's one thing. But it's another thing to care about your health as a whole. [/quote]

Would that be because physique (arguably) and weight are things we can measure, but health is a nebulous term that becomes cloudy enough to hold to prevailing beliefs?
    Eating natural food in and of itself isn't necessarily going to prevent health markers from getting worse. Eating processed food in and of itself isn't necessarily going to make health markers worse.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So people who eat processed foods only care about weight and physique and not about their health?