Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There could be people who care about their health but don't realize the dangers of processed food, or they do realize the danger and choose to eat it in moderation. Or, they realize the dangers and they care, but they're still struggling with junk food addiction. I wouldn't say that someone "doesn't care" about their health just because they eat processed food. And to me, that kind of sounds like a personal attack, so I wouldn't say that. I care, but I'm definitely still struggling with it. But I think it's a different focus to only be focused on calories and weight, or to be focused on things like healthy eating and natural living. Two different philosophies, obviously.

Please describe the dangers of processed foods and provide credible sources to support your claim.

Please provide credible sources to support the concept of junk food addiction.

Healthy eating and a focus on calories/weight are not mutually exclusive.

Please define "natural living".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The World Health Organization seems to think that's how this works, as they strongly recommend avoiding processed foods, based on decades of scientific research.

Can you point me to where they recommend avoiding processed foods? I have been looking and can't find it. No sarcasm or anything. Genuinely interested.

I think we may die of old age before we get an answer. I think she just likes throw out little nuggets of misinformation.

Depends. Do you eat processed foods?

I do. My diary is amass of processed foods. I may die.

Maybe Christine and Lisawinning4losing should judge your diary and tell us how soon you will die. Of course, LIsa would have to open her diary to be fair.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The World Health Organization seems to think that's how this works, as they strongly recommend avoiding processed foods, based on decades of scientific research.

Can you point me to where they recommend avoiding processed foods? I have been looking and can't find it. No sarcasm or anything. Genuinely interested.

I think we may die of old age before we get an answer. I think she just likes throw out little nuggets of misinformation.

Maybe Christine and Lisawinning4losing should judge your diary and tell us how soon you will die. Of course, LIsa would have to open her diary to be fair.

Heart attack on a plate!! The funny thing is my blood tests come back perfect now. It wasn't that way a few years ago, my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering drugs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If processed, low quality food is going to be the measure of how long someone will live, can someone inform penitentiary death row inmates? Because for some reason, while eating low quality food for consecutive YEARS, we can't get them to die on death row while waiting to exhaust their appeals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

As someone who was a corrections officer and has seen first hand the food offenders are fed you make an excellent excellent point! I eat processed foods all the time but even I wouldn't want to eat the food they're fed day in day out for the rest of their lives :s
    It also supports CICO. They eat 3 meals a day (portioned unless taken or traded for something else), some get commissary, but it's usually not whole foods, and they don't have obesity issues. In fact many have physiques that lots of beach goers wish they had.
    Part of the evidence I use about "processed" foods is what the penal system does to feed and inmate at a cost of $4 a day or less for 3 meals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Heart attack on a plate!! The funny thing is my blood tests come back perfect now. It wasn't that way a few years ago, my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering drugs.
    I eat fast food at least once a week, and more if I'm really lazy to cook. McDonald's at least once a week since I was 10. And I'm not talking salads. Have yet to fail a physical exam.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Depends, how did you make the pancake batter? If like many folks you used Bisquick it's loaded with trans fats(at least in the US).

7ev61k5lk6uy.jpg

No trans fats. Image uploaded for future reference. Trans fats were pretty much regulated out of food in the USA several years ago.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    No trans fats. Image uploaded for future reference. Trans fats were pretty much regulated out of food in the USA several years ago.

Yet it's still on the label ? Is "partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil" free of trans fats ?

With silly labelling rules the 0 grams on the pack means <0.5 grams in 40g. So it could be 1% trans fats by weight.

FDA ruled only last year to phase out partially hydrogenated oils, giving three years to comply.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    If processed, low quality food is going to be the measure of how long someone will live, can someone inform penitentiary death row inmates? Because for some reason, while eating low quality food for consecutive YEARS, we can't get them to die on death row while waiting to exhaust their appeals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

As someone who was a corrections officer and has seen first hand the food offenders are fed you make an excellent excellent point! I eat processed foods all the time but even I wouldn't want to eat the food they're fed day in day out for the rest of their lives :s
    It also supports CICO. They eat 3 meals a day (portioned unless taken or traded for something else), some get commissary, but it's usually not whole foods, and they don't have obesity issues. In fact many have physiques that lots of beach goers wish they had.
    Part of the evidence I use about "processed" foods is what the penal system does to feed and inmate at a cost of $4 a day or less for 3 meals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A lot get commissary and the best sellers were definitely pop, peanut butter, ramen noodles (they used these to cook/make EVERYTHING), and packaged pastries like honey buns. Inmates eat horribly. There's very little fresh fruit or veggies in prison! But you're right their portion sizes are much different!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It must be different here in in the prison system in Australia. Not too sure abut the mens prison, but the women get fresh cooked meals every night, they can have fresh fruit everyday, cereal or toast for breakfast and a salad or cooked meal for lunch. A lot of them eat healthier in prison, than out.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It must be different here in in the prison system in Australia. Not too sure abut the mens prison, but the women get fresh cooked meals every night, they can have fresh fruit everyday, cereal or toast for breakfast and a salad or cooked meal for lunch. A lot of them eat healthier in prison, than out.

Yeah. That's how people think it is in the US, but not reality.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Much of the European based prison systems (including Australia's) gets its treatment standards from traditions going back to how noble must be treated, even once convicted of a crime. As nobility was resolved, the trend became that prisons rise to that standard, even for commoners.
    In the United States, instead of the minimum being raised by the existence of nobility, it was lowered by the long existence of slavery, setting the minimum of dignity ever lower.

Of course, your whole continent is a giant prison colony, so how do you know the prisoners? :D
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Many penitentiaries are over filled and one of the lowest costs they want to spend on is inmate food consumption. That's why it's about $4 a day for 3 meals for the average penitentiary. What kind of food are they going to get for $4 dollars a day?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Much of the European based prison systems (including Australia's) gets its treatment standards from traditions going back to how noble must be treated, even once convicted of a crime. As nobility was resolved, the trend became that prisons rise to that standard, even for commoners.
    In the United States, instead of the minimum being raised by the existence of nobility, it was lowered by the long existence of slavery, setting the minimum of dignity ever lower.

Of course, your whole continent is a giant prison colony, so how do you know the prisoners? :D

Ahhhaaa We're all crims here :tongue:

But I know this as a husband and wife friends of ours work in the women's prison. They often have their meals there too.
    Many penitentiaries are over filled and one of the lowest costs they want to spend on is inmate food consumption. That's why it's about $4 a day for 3 meals for the average penitentiary. What kind of food are they going to get for $4 dollars a day?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I imagine our massive population difference would enter into the equation too.. You guys probably have more people in prison than we have people in the whole of Australia. Our population is 24 million
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But I know this as a husband and wife friends of ours work in the women's prison. They often have their meals there too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I imagine our massive population difference would enter into the equation too.. You guys probably have more people in prison than we have people in the whole of Australia. Our population is 24 million

About 2.2 million are in prisons according to wikipedia.
  • senecarr
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Try all you want. None of you guys are going to beat US incarceration rates. That's right, #1, #1! We keep more people locked up than you guys... wait...
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    When countries send food to other countries as a form of aid, what kind of food do they send? Lays Potato Chips and Oeros? Or foods like rice?
  • senecarr
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    When countries send food to other countries as a form of aid, what kind of food do they send? Lays Potato Chips and Oeros? Or foods like rice?

http://www.pepsico.com/Purpose/Global-Citizenship/Disaster-Relief-and-Humanitarian-Support
    (FritoLays is owned by Pepsico).
    Pepsi-Hurricane-Sandy2.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Things that don't spoil easily. Which includes highly processed foods.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Try all you want. None of you guys are going to beat US incarceration rates. That's right, #1, #1! We keep more people locked up than you guys... wait...
    Yep. And it's big BUSINESS for the states. California CO's make big bank.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• senecarr
    Options
    I just really don't see where this disjoint thinking is going. We don't live in countries with complete corporatism down to humanitarian aid level, therefore easy processed foods are bad? Walk me through the thought train here because I'd really like to understand the leap here:
    sidney-harris-i-think-you-should-be-more-explicit-here-in-step-two-cartoon.jpg