Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You can be thin or even fit and still develop health problems. There's no doubt that processed foods aren't good for our health, and are contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases. Few people achieve perfection, but I think it's best to eat natural, healthy food as much as possible. I would think of processed food as an occasional treat. If all you care about is weight and physique, then that's one thing. But it's another thing to care about your health as a whole.

So people who eat processed foods only care about weight and physique and not about their health?

Whao, wait. This is getting too personal. That's not what I said.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You can be thin or even fit and still develop health problems. There's no doubt that processed foods aren't good for our health, and are contributing to the rise of common health problems, cancers, and other diseases. Few people achieve perfection, but I think it's best to eat natural, healthy food as much as possible. I would think of processed food as an occasional treat. If all you care about is weight and physique, then that's one thing. But it's another thing to care about your health as a whole.

So people who eat processed foods only care about weight and physique and not about their health?

Whao, wait. This is getting too personal. That's not what I said.

How is asking you to clarify what you meant getting too personal? That's precisely why I asked, because it seems like a ludicrous claim that people who eat processed foods don't care about their health, since as it has been pointed out time and again in this thread and others - there are MANY processed foods which offer a variety of nutritional benefits. So what did you mean?
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There could be people who care about their health but don't realize the dangers of processed food, or they do realize the danger and choose to eat it in moderation. Or, they realize the dangers and they care, but they're still struggling with junk food addiction. I wouldn't say that someone "doesn't care" about their health just because they eat processed food. And to me, that kind of sounds like a personal attack, so I wouldn't say that. I care, but I'm definitely still struggling with it. But I think it's a different focus to only be focused on calories and weight, or to be focused on things like healthy eating and natural living. Two different philosophies, obviously.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There could be people who care about their health but don't realize the dangers of processed food, or they do realize the danger and choose to eat it in moderation. Or, they realize the dangers and they care, but they're still struggling with junk food addiction. I wouldn't say that someone "doesn't care" about their health just because they eat processed food. And to me, that kind of sounds like a personal attack, so I wouldn't say that. I care, but I'm definitely still struggling with it. But I think it's a different focus to only be focused on calories and weight, or to be focused on things like healthy eating and natural living. Two different philosophies, obviously.

You keep saying there's dangers and how "there's no doubt" they're bad to your health. That's not how any of this works.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    The World Health Organization seems to think that's how this works, as they strongly recommend avoiding processed foods, based on decades of scientific research.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization seems to think that's how this works, as they strongly recommend avoiding processed foods, based on decades of scientific research.

Can you point me to where they recommend avoiding processed foods? I have been looking and can't find it. No sarcasm or anything. Genuinely interested.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Can you point me to where they recommend avoiding processed foods? I have been looking and can't find it. No sarcasm or anything. Genuinely interested.

Also as has been said 234623 times by now, processed foods, even "ultra-processed" is such a broad term, saying they're all bad for you without a doubt is like saying all fruit is good for you. Including the ones that are poisonous.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Also as has been said 234623 times by now, processed foods, even "ultra-processed" is such a broad term, saying they're all bad for you without a doubt is like saying all fruit is good for you. Including the ones that are poisonous.

I'm assuming WHO didn't actually recommend this but I'm willing to read it if it's posted. I know there is the latest processed meats and cancer study that was released. That didn't even prompt a recommendation of "no processed meats". I can't imagine they would put a blanket statement out that says "Avoid processed food".

Like I said, I'm interested to read if they did as they are obviously well respected.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I think we may die of old age before we get an answer. I think she just likes throw out little nuggets of misinformation.
  • WinoGelato
    edited March 2016
    Options

I posted some examples of ultra processed foods upthread (very large photos for some reason so I'm not going to post them again) that are in my pantry/freezer and commonly consumed in my diet (not always in the same day, but sometimes, sure). I'm a busy working mom and rely quite a bit on convenience foods, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about my health.

For example - here is my day so far:
    Coffee with Coffeemate French Vanilla Liquid Creamer
    Jimmy Dean Frozen Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage, Potatoes, Egg Whites, Cheddar Cheese. (I add frozen spinach to that as well - more processed foods)
    Turkey Melt Sandwich from Work Cafeteria (Wheat Bread, Turkey, Pepperjack Cheese + Baby Spinach) and Baked Cheetohs (gasp!).

Tonight I'm going to dinner with a friend - to a little local pizza/pasta place that focuses on local, seasonal ingredients. I need to hear today's specials but off the menu I'm leaning toward the Market Vegetable Salad + Fig and Squash Pizza with a glass or two of white wine.

As I mentioned upthread - I've lost weight, am successfully maintaining the loss, my blood work is better than ever, no indications of hypertension that would require me to limit sodium. So what dangers am I taking on with the foods I've listed above?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I often hear people talking about their blood work looking fine. My dad had yearly blood work and physicals done, and it was great every year, no troublesome markers.
    He died of cancer at age 47. All I'm saying is don't put 100% faith in blood work, as obviously it doesn't tell the whole story :(
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I think we may die of old age before we get an answer. I think she just likes throw out little nuggets of misinformation.

Depends. Do you eat processed foods?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Depends. Do you eat processed foods?

I do. My diary is amass of processed foods. I may die.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I often hear people talking about their blood work looking fine. My dad had yearly blood work and physicals done, and it was great every year, no troublesome markers.
    He died of cancer at age 47. All I'm saying is don't put 100% faith in blood work, as obviously it doesn't tell the whole story :(

I don't believe anyone is saying blood-work is perfectly capable of prediction, but obviously if blood-work is bad, there is an issue. Unless you have a working crystal ball, I'm note sure what you'd use to know someone's health outcomes perfectly. Again, people seem to want to argue health because it is nebulous concept. Showing emprical, repeatable, measurable numbers like A1C, lipid panels, or metabolic panels and people start back pedaling to preserve their belief.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It absolutely doesn't. But it is an easy risk factor to check.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If processed, low quality food is going to be the measure of how long someone will live, can someone inform penitentiary death row inmates? Because for some reason, while eating low quality food for consecutive YEARS, we can't get them to die on death row while waiting to exhaust their appeals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Apparently "Both fresh and processed foods make up vital parts of the food supply" according to the American Society for Nutrition. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/99/6/1525.abstract?sid=57a4714b-05d4-4322-90b8-e5ea16325a14
    Of the nutrients to encourage, processed foods contributed 55% of dietary fiber, 48% of calcium, 43% of potassium, 34% of vitamin D, 64% of iron, 65% of folate, and 46% of vitamin B-12. Of the constituents to limit, processed foods contributed 57% of energy, 52% of saturated fat, 75% of added sugars, and 57% of sodium.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I'm assuming WHO didn't actually recommend this but I'm willing to read it if it's posted. I know there is the latest processed meats and cancer study that was released. That didn't even prompt a recommendation of "no processed meats". I can't imagine they would put a blanket statement out that says "Avoid processed food".

Like I said, I'm interested to read if they did as they are obviously well respected.

They don't. But their site is peppered with advice to eat more fruits and vegetables and less processed food high in fat and free sugars.
  • Hornsby
    Options

They don't. But their site is peppered with advice to eat more fruits and vegetables and less processed food high in fat and free sugars.

That's obvious to me and fine but not the same as "avoid".
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If processed, low quality food is going to be the measure of how long someone will live, can someone inform penitentiary death row inmates? Because for some reason, while eating low quality food for consecutive YEARS, we can't get them to die on death row while waiting to exhaust their appeals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

As someone who was a corrections officer and has seen first hand the food offenders are fed you make an excellent excellent point! I eat processed foods all the time but even I wouldn't want to eat the food they're fed day in day out for the rest of their lives :s