Why do people on Myfitnesspal ask for motivation and support?

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Gene81972 wrote: »
    You yourself may not need encouragement to lose weight but I'm sure you appreciate encouragement in other aspects of life. Like Vingogly said, different folks need different things. But don't sweat it, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

I agree with this.

A lot of people need support when it comes to weight loss. That's why there are so many support groups associated with weight loss plans like Weight Watchers, for instance. Nothing wrong with that. I personally don't like anyone bothering me when trying to lose weight because I wouldn't likely stick to it like I would on my own, alone. But to each his own.
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It just nice when you have a bad day for someone to tell you it's ok, or when you did an amazing work out to say, nice job! I'm a bit of a loner, I tend to shy away from people in general but sometimes it's just nice to have someone outside of my small circle acknowledge something I do.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Aren't we all here for the same reason?

squats and deadlifts?

And flagging posts.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

Maybe because some people live with anti diet people and bad eating enablers.. Yes it has to come from within but it does help to have some encouraging words and advice here and there.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.
    @anthony150paolucci I once had the same question and learned in the general population about 10% are leaders and 90% followers (a good thing) to keep peace in the world and small groups. I am one that digs for info then act on it IF I AM really interested but I still have not filed my taxes. :(

When we first get out in life it is easy to assume everyone is like ourselves. I had a tough time understanding why some would not tell the truth then learned they did not think others told the truth because they did not.

Hang in there. Everyone is different at some level for a reason and just let it go at that. In 45 years when you are my age you will better know what people are sensitive about than I may be today.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Kittyr321 wrote: »
    I think it helps to know that we are not alone in our struggles, be it weight loss or any other struggle. I just celebrated 5 years of sobriety on Saint Patricks Day and I could not do it alone, though I did try many times. I always considered myself to be a strong independent person. It's kind of what got me in trouble with drugs in the first place, because I thought I was above becoming addicted. Food can be just another addiction, and that is how I am treating it. I know from experience that I have a much higher chance of being successful if I incorporate a support group. Thanks for being here ya all!

@Kittyr321 congratulations on your 5 years. That is major. I have a friend at 25 years and another at 1 year.
  • kittydale9
    kittydale9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like you are looking for support or you wouldn't be part of the community. You would just use the tools available and go about your business. It is part of human nature to want/need support. If not, then why would any of us have/need friends and family in our lives? We would just go about everyday life totally alone. How sad and boring. IMO

It is nice if you have an off day of eating and get discouraged to have others who can give you support.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    What gets me is when people post despairing threads about their partners "sabotaging" their weight loss, by not changing their eating and exercise habits to go along with the person who wants to lose weight. I like some love and support, on MFP and off it, but no one else is responsible for my choices.

@lithezebra I see your point when I set down to a table loaded is high carb foods. My family knows how my life and theirs have improved when my health started to improve after I left sugar and all forms of grains in 2014. They do not suck up my low carb food sources and I do not suck up their carbs. I say that but I do see them cutting back on carbs especially my daughter from time to time. Healthy 18 year olds typically and eat carbs without issues just like did at one point.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Social support is helpful to many people, and scientists have studied the role of social support in many aspects of life, such as motivation and stress. Personally, I feel that these groups are helpful because it makes me feel not so alone on this journey, and that things I am struggling with are also things that others are struggling with. We can talk about things that work for us/don't work for us, and can get some words of encouragement. Below is an article that shows one example of the role of social support in weight loss:

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/ccp/67/1/132/

66% success vs. 24% is a huge difference. Thanks
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I will simply refer you to look at Weight Watchers, Medifast Weight loss, etc... that make millions off of people needing to feel accountable to someone. Often times people know what they should do, and how to do it, but without the encouragement or accountability they fall short, they make up excuses for themselves. It is like school, where it is easy to get A's and B's if you put the time in and do what is needed, but not everyone does.
  • lisadobbscarr
    lisadobbscarr Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At first when I read Anthony's post, I had the same reaction as some of you, but then I thought... what's the big deal? It's a simple, honest question. He's not being pretentious or anything. Alot of you have been quite polite and forthcoming with your answers, yet some of you have been terribly negative, rude, and defensive. It was an honest question. In all of his responses, he seems genuinely interested, curious, and actually quite polite considering how rude some of you have been. I do appreciate some motivation and support myself, but I see nothing wrong with his question. Check yourselves and deal with your own issues.
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how someone who is only a part of the community for the calorie data base ends up in the community forms in the first place. Also confused on how someone so self motivated ends up in the thread dedicated to motivation and support. lt is like someone asking what is up with all these dog owners when cat people are better in the forum of dogowners.com.
  • dream4tc
    dream4tc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People are all different. Sometimes they need accountability to someone else to stay focused, not everyone is self driven. Like minded people with the same goals need to know they aren't alone in their struggles and need to feel a part of something. For me, I do better with others doing the same thing. It brings out some competitiveness in me and helps push me to finish because I don't want to disappoint others who are depending on me.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Its probably out of boredom....
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Come back to this when you are 40. I think by then you will understand.

Seriously people. The guy is only 20. If he has been very lucky he has never had his self esteem wrecked, has never really felt what it is to fail, sometimes repeatedly. He does not know what depression feels like, has not spent years working long hours at a desk and coming home to chores and children. He has never been alone in the world or had family or friends that tried to undermine his efforts. He lacks life experience and so it isn't that surprising that he does not understand.

Try not to let his lack of understanding get to you.

Meanwhile OP. You just need to realise that many people have lived different lives and have different circumstances. Most adults have had that lovely naive optimism knocked out of them. So they need a little help now and then. And that's perfectly okay.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If the OP is genuinely only 20 then it is possible they really don't understand and it is a genuine question. I like others am usually very self-motivated but have found out achieving weight loss goals horrendous in middle age - it is just not happening for me. This is where support and motivation comes in- when thinking you don't need that encouragement to finding out you do when getting nowhere.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    At first when I read Anthony's post, I had the same reaction as some of you, but then I thought... what's the big deal? It's a simple, honest question. He's not being pretentious or anything. Alot of you have been quite polite and forthcoming with your answers, yet some of you have been terribly negative, rude, and defensive. It was an honest question. In all of his responses, he seems genuinely interested, curious, and actually quite polite considering how rude some of you have been. I do appreciate some motivation and support myself, but I see nothing wrong with his question. Check yourselves and deal with your own issues.

You believe this to be sincere?

Are you aware?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Maybe some people just enjoy the support and community and don't feel the need to go about it all on their own. I think a few of us have lived a bit longer than you and had a lot of life struggles and sometimes need ideas and tips on how to work around those things.

Come talk to us again in 10+ years. Life throws lots of curve balls and I put all my time into my kids and my job leaving little time for ME. At 20, generally, all you have to think about is you. Things change as you grow.

Without having friends on MFP, I never would have met you, @lstrat115! Oh, the horror!
  • irisbuen
    irisbuen Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No man is an island, and if they are they can only go as far until the ocean washes over them.

That's how I'd put it. People have different needs and have different preferences, self motivation is one thing but if there are factors that could threaten that (I.e. depression, chronic problem) then a support validates the goal and the person. Not that I'm saying that's all there is to it. There's really a power behind a community.

Having support increases self-awareness and a desire to do better. It makes a lot of people motivated because they know that if they stumble, there are people who care and could remind them when they forget.

I hope this answers your question.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you don't understand
    I started to enjoy more when I found the forums and started to add friends
    It's nice to be able to talk nonstop about food and fitness
    Real life friends are not always interested