Sugar-free drinks: the good, the bad and the 'we should be aware'!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    NewDeb14 wrote: »
    Believe what you want or don't want. My experience with artificial sweetener is not good. Why do I get headaches when taking it in? Why does my friend's lupus symptoms disappear after stopping diet drinks? Why does my mother continue to overeat, even when she's drinking and eating diet foods? I don't need an article or study to tell me to stay away. The choice is yours.

I don't think anyone has argued that individual bodies can't have individual negative reactions. Just that it's inappropriate to say "these people I know have negative reactions and we seem to be able to trace it to the sweeteners, therefore no one else should have them." Plenty of people have particular sensitivities or reactions to kinds of foods, even outside of allergies. Doesn't make them across-the-board bad for you.

Many people on MFP STRONGLY argue against the notion that people can react differently to different foods, medicines, etc l. except in the case of severe allergies.

Just as an experiment, post that some food is problematic for you and leads to extreme cravings and see what response you get. Even if you suggest it doesn't necessarily apply to others, you will get little support here.

Except for the 3 people all responding to acknowledge that her experience with aspartame is legitimate and confirms that it isn't for her. Back up your claim, because this thread certainly isn't backing it up for you - it's making the opposite point. I also did a quick search for "sensitivity" and tried to find comments that aren't referring to a medical diagnosis, but self-diagnosis based on observations, and found plenty that had no or few responses, none of them backing up your claim.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35932609#Comment_35932609
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35918689#Comment_35918689
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35914204#Comment_35914204

Your turn!
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This has turned into a ping pong session. Your turn ans serve
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    My experience isn't everyone else's, I KNOW that. Since y'all jumped on me so quick i had to go back and read what I wrote. Would I like for everyone not to use them, absolutely. Am I so ignorant that they don't work on everyone the way they did on me, ABSOLUTELY NOT. I do know that my experience isn't meant for everyone, but who knows, it just may help someone. If not you, then ignore and carry on.

Well, I mean, you did say that sweeteners are so unsafe that they shouldn't even be sold in grocery stores...so...not sure where the indignation is coming from.

Nope, I said the FDA stopped taking in reports and assume they probably wouldn't be on the shelves.

So you implied that they were unsafe. Six of one, half dozen of another.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Yes, it's incredibly aggravating to read. Just a back and forth from either side, when in the end no one is going to change their mind on this anyway...

Which leads me to my favourite gif, which is so apt for these kinds of discussions

gnvgoxh4ji59.png
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Yes, it's incredibly aggravating to read. Just a back and forth from either side, when in the end no one is going to change their mind on this anyway...

Which leads me to my favourite gif, which is so apt for these kinds of discussions

gnvgoxh4ji59.png

I find it amusing the anti-aspartame folks still haven't prove it's bad. ;)
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I've gota just geta drumin to drown out the noise from the other drummers. Even when I getting RSI
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Believe what you want or don't want. My experience with artificial sweetener is not good. Why do I get headaches when taking it in? Why does my friend's lupus symptoms disappear after stopping diet drinks? Why does my mother continue to overeat, even when she's drinking and eating diet foods? I don't need an article or study to tell me to stay away. The choice is yours.

I don't think anyone has argued that individual bodies can't have individual negative reactions. Just that it's inappropriate to say "these people I know have negative reactions and we seem to be able to trace it to the sweeteners, therefore no one else should have them." Plenty of people have particular sensitivities or reactions to kinds of foods, even outside of allergies. Doesn't make them across-the-board bad for you.

Many people on MFP STRONGLY argue against the notion that people can react differently to different foods, medicines, etc l. except in the case of severe allergies.

Just as an experiment, post that some food is problematic for you and leads to extreme cravings and see what response you get. Even if you suggest it doesn't necessarily apply to others, you will get little support here.

Except for the 3 people all responding to acknowledge that her experience with aspartame is legitimate and confirms that it isn't for her. Back up your claim, because this thread certainly isn't backing it up for you - it's making the opposite point. I also did a quick search for "sensitivity" and tried to find comments that aren't referring to a medical diagnosis, but self-diagnosis based on observations, and found plenty that had no or few responses, none of them backing up your claim.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35932609#Comment_35932609
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35918689#Comment_35918689
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35914204#Comment_35914204

Your turn!

Note that I said "many" people; I did not say ALL people or even a majority.

You said "I don't think ANYONE has argued....." I think this is an argument that is made on this site on a daily basis. I haven't counted the numbers on each side.

I once asked the direct question in the thread I started: "don't you think people react differently to certain foods." I did not get an overwhelming positive response.

I have no interest in attempting to win the argument. I'm sorry you felt you had to spend the time looking for counter-examples to my point. I would have been happy to concede them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Study makes it sound like those people never drank water.
    I wonder if people that never drink water, simply don't focus on exercising and other healthy eating habits.
    I can't see someone drinking a diet coke with a kale salad.

More: There are a lot of people that do not drink any daily water
    I simply meant the study could be skewed by using these people for the purpose of a good article.

The things you say on here...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

gnvgoxh4ji59.png

There are areas where reasonable minds may disagree such as politics, but this isn't one of them. There isn't a debate in this thread anymore than there is a "debate" about evolution. Unfortunatey, a strong anti-science movement is well underway and it's putting people at risk. The anti-diet soda crowd is largely harmless (does anyone really cares if someone doesn't drink diet soda? Although if the alternative is high-calorie sodas then it does do a bit of damage), but then there are the other areas that do put people at real risk, such as the anti-vaccine portion of the same movement. All of that said, quite a few of these minds won't change and it is largely futile to argue with adult who so clearly refused to learn during their education and is predisposed to listen to crackpots rather than their doctors.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

gnvgoxh4ji59.png

There are areas where reasonable minds may disagree such as politics, but this isn't one of them. There isn't a debate in this thread anymore than there is a "debate" about evolution. Unfortunatey, a strong anti-science movement is well underway and it's putting people at risk. The anti-diet soda crowd is largely harmless (does anyone really cares if someone doesn't drink diet soda? Although if the alternative is high-calorie sodas then it does do a bit of damage), but then there are the other areas that do put people at real risk, such as the anti-vaccine portion of the same movement. All of that said, quite a few of these minds won't change and it is largely futile to argue with adult who so clearly refused to learn during their education and is predisposed to listen to crackpots rather than their doctors.

Arguments in public often are there not to persuade the other person, but to persuade the audience. If it's rebuked every time it comes up, someone idly searching/reading won't think it's just a legitimate a claim as any other. That's who the back-and-forth is really for. :)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My experience isn't everyone else's, I KNOW that. Since y'all jumped on me so quick i had to go back and read what I wrote. Would I like for everyone not to use them, absolutely. Am I so ignorant that they don't work on everyone the way they did on me, ABSOLUTELY NOT. I do know that my experience isn't meant for everyone, but who knows, it just may help someone. If not you, then ignore and carry on.

If your n=1 experience is not typical, why would you "like for everyone not to use them"? Your conclusion does not follow.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

gnvgoxh4ji59.png
    All of that said, quite a few of these minds won't change and it is largely futile to argue with adult who so clearly refused to learn during their education and is predisposed to listen to crackpots rather than their doctors.
    I wouldn't be surprised that if I asked my doctor whether people should be drinking multiple cans of diet soda a day, perhaps he'd say "no".
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

gnvgoxh4ji59.png
    All of that said, quite a few of these minds won't change and it is largely futile to argue with adult who so clearly refused to learn during their education and is predisposed to listen to crackpots rather than their doctors.
    I wouldn't be surprised that if I asked my doctor whether people should be drinking multiple cans of diet soda a day, perhaps he'd say "no".

Mine has no issues with me drinking diet soda, it's something we've actually discussed quite a bit.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

gnvgoxh4ji59.png

Mine has no issues with me drinking diet soda, it's something we've actually discussed quite a bit.

Same. None of mine have. Of course, I visit real doctors with degrees from good medical schools and who come recommended to me from other professionals who I trust. That said, I'm sure he'd look askance if I suggested I drink more than 2 or 3 a day.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. There are plenty of studies that indicate exactly what OP is saying. Besides the weight gain factor, the health implications of artificial sweeteners is huge. Nutrasweet nearly killed me when I was pregnant. Literally. 7 days in a hospital on a morphine drip because of the stuff. And no, I'm not allergic to it. It just caused a lot of damage to my organs because I thought diet drinks were okay. I would suggest doing some more in depth research before you poo poo this, but then again, I don't expect it off of this website.

I drink diet sodas literally every day. I've been losing weight steadily since January, when I started the program. I have diabetes but my sugars are controlled now. I'm sorry you went through this but my organs are fine even with the diet soda. If you wish to stop drinking it, that's great but leave my diet sodas alone!
    JaneiR36 wrote:
    That would be like saying everyone should avoid peanuts because consumption of it could be fatal to some individuals.

Exactly.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I use artificial sweeteners every single day. I have never been in the hospital as a result. Never had one single health complication. I think the fear mongering about artificial sweeteners is ridiculous to be honest.

I do too. I'm 46 and aside from being obese (not from artificial sweeteners), I'm healthy. My son, on the other hand, who doesn't consume artificial sweeteners, was diagnosed with Leukemia last year. Go figure.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Am I just an freak, losing 140lb while drinking coke zero?