WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Joyce, dry in Indiana~I have fooled you, hahaha... that IS a recent picture of youngest son, we had just gotten that beautiful rotary black phone, with stand. We were having fun "teaching" the boy how to "SIT" when you are making (or taking) a call, how to DIAL using your FINGER....it was priceless. The cord isn't really long enough for him to stand and answer without pulling it off the darn table. You are right with thinking the Navy is like his other family. I always gave the recruiters a hard time with the other two sons because I would state, "I get him for 17 yrs, and you get him for 20". "I bore him, so I should be getting the 20!"
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DJ: People do go in the water at the beach here despite its cold temperature. There are hardcore surfers that will spend hours out there. I'm not into freezing my bippy, but I do occasionally wade a bit at the edge of the water or through shallow streams. My cousins and I used to jump waves when we were kids. The water would be between knee and hip deep. It was COLD. :noway:

Our furniture rearrangement is showing some less than desirable characteristics but it will do for now. I'm too tired to move anything for at least 24 hours. Tomorrow has a blank schedule so far. Perhaps well just stare at things for a while, and think whether to re-rearrange, or get used to what we created.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon~ My husband would HATE IT when I would move the furniture, ESPECIALLY when I did rooms in a slant kind of thing. He said when he would "do his night patrols" (really just wandering the house for a bit, seeing if he forgot to do things), he would bump shins, toes etc. I would explain that the FLOW is better, the ZEN thing, and he just rolls his eyes at me, when I start talking like that!
    Becca
    Ms Zen wantabe in
    Oregon
  • Millerxll
    Millerxll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to the community and love the posts on this thread. I am a bit older than many of you, 73 this June, but don't feel my age too much yet. I live in North Georgia, near Chattanooga, Tennessee and have many hobbies. I weave on a 45" Nilus LeClerc 4 harness floor loom, a Kromski Rigid Heddle loom, a Harrisville 26" 4 harness floor loom, an Inkle loom, spin on a Kromski spinning wheel, and crochet and knit. Most of my activities are very sedentary except for my hands and arms. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so need to stay faithful to a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am planting a GrowBox garden this year and hope to have lots of fresh vegetables on my deck. :) Patsy bhnrpagbjx9h.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    claremaigheo~ My heart goes out to you. (((((((((hugs)))))) I wish I had the right words, just know I care. Just a click away. It's sweet that your cat is now a lap and bed cat. Yep they do sense loss and do what they can to console us.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    AR10at50 wrote: »
    And apparently I don't know how to use the bold button.

heehee just "highlight with blue" then click the "B" button and it just encircles what you want in a bracket with a b on each side.
    Becca that is Bold Bracket qualified in
    Sunny Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Millerxll wrote: »
    Hello, I am new to the community and love the posts on this thread. I am a bit older than many of you, 73 this June, but don't feel my age too much yet. I live in North Georgia, near Chattanooga, Tennessee and have many hobbies. I weave on a 45" Nilus LeClerc 4 harness floor loom, a Kromski Rigid Heddle loom, a Harrisville 26" 4 harness floor loom, an Inkle loom, spin on a Kromski spinning wheel, and crochet and knit. Most of my activities are very sedentary except for my hands and arms. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so need to stay faithful to a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am planting a GrowBox garden this year and hope to have lots of fresh vegetables on my deck. :) Patsy bhnrpagbjx9h.jpg

oooh Patsy from North Georgia Tennessee, I ADORE your loom! One things on my bucket list to learn how to do. Love the SOUND they make clicking and clacking!! I am on the Northern most tip of the Oregon coast, (before you paddle over to Washington State). The soil is mostly sandy and so some veggies just don't work well out here. Especially the ones that need bright sun. I have a couple of large container plots at the community garden just a block away, so I hope to grow amazing things this summer. Last year I planted WAY too much cherry tomatoes and I was flooded with them! I grew spinach and loved that. I had a bouquet of the leaves every time I walked back home from the community garden which was fun. It's organic so no pesticides allowed. I used ground up shrimp parts from a processing plant up the street so my spinach exploded! Welcome to our group!
    Becca
    Spinach Queen in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    I need to get "re-motivated"..I left WW a few months ago because I didn't like the direction the program took. I did manage to lose 30 lbs before the changes. I enjoyed going to the meetings...but they just turned into *kitten* sessions. I am also a caretaker for my mother..she has MS and dementia and lives with me. So I miss the comradery.

Welcome to our group! You can vent all you wish on here, and any baggage you have just mentally pile it up on the white side of the margins here :-) Great loss of 30 lbs by the way! I commend you for being a caretaker too. That is mentally draining. I (stopped being a wife) and became my husbands caregiver, when we were awaiting a liver for him. I went to a "caregiver support group" to handle that change in our relationship. I would imagine its hard to balance the caregiver and daughter hat on your head, but for me at that meeting, I took off all hats and just vented. You may do that here, and be just you :-) ((((hugs))))
    Becca
    wearing the silly wifey hat again in
    Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,715 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    pouring down rain here today.. didnt go to the gym... as I knew I was gonna be hauling stuff at my dads.. was up there 2 1/2 hrs and will go work on it again this weekend..
    slowly I am getting rid of things, boxing things up, throwing stuff out..
    My dad is just so pleased about it..
    Today he ordered the plane tickets for Nashville... so it will be a go , haven't told Tom yet, but I will pay for Hotel and rental car.... and we will be gone 4 days
    Poor Tom has a cold(boo freakin hoo) and I did pick him up nyquil and cough drops .and he has potato soup for dinner, I am meeting a friend at 2:30 to catch up so he is on his own..
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Millerxll wrote: »
    Hello, I am new to the community and love the posts on this thread. I am a bit older than many of you, 73 this June, but don't feel my age too much yet. I live in North Georgia, near Chattanooga, Tennessee and have many hobbies. I weave on a 45" Nilus LeClerc 4 harness floor loom, a Kromski Rigid Heddle loom, a Harrisville 26" 4 harness floor loom, an Inkle loom, spin on a Kromski spinning wheel, and crochet and knit. Most of my activities are very sedentary except for my hands and arms. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so need to stay faithful to a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am planting a GrowBox garden this year and hope to have lots of fresh vegetables on my deck. :) Patsy

Welcome, Patsy! I gasped out loud when I scrolled to your loom pic. I used to weave, and I am hanging on to my looms (two Dundas 24"; one four shaft and one 12), for when I get the chance again.

Larisa
  • Annr
    Options
    Larisa I gasped too!!!
  • Annr
    Options
    wait Patsy do you TAT too? That was something I TRIED to get my grandmother to teach me, but her shuttlecock couldn't do SLOW and she would just mess up when she thought about it too much! She tatted my wedding veil.
    003_zpsgitchoby.jpg
    Becca
    so wished I looked that young in
    Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    ntr704nqd4jb.jpg
    A friend on Facebook sent me this photo. I wish she had sent the real quilt! I guess I will need to go shopping for some fabrics, make out a pattern. Or maybe just drool over the photo!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Larisa I gasped too!!!
    :sunglasses:
    I must friend you now.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    love that quilt!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beth ((Hugs)))

Patsy what a fantastic loom!

BC (((Hugs))) the chapter will be writing about today from The Dance of Anger focuses on a woman who is trying to find balance while helping to take care of her elderly father.

Miriam I don't blame you for wanting that quilt. Me too!
  • Annr
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Larisa I gasped too!!!
    :sunglasses:
    I must friend you now.

You Must, and we did, woot :-)
    Becca
    Happy I have added another friend to my gaggle of friends in
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OOH Miriam, that quilt is quite a project and so beautiful. To me that is the kind of quilt you hang on the wall and not put on your quilt.

Sylvia, so glad to hear from you. I pray for all the women here but lately you have gotten some extra prayer time. Don't push it to much. Glad the staples are out. How is your son and grand kids doing with all this. And how is Spot since her Mommy isn't herself.

Now that the house is to myself and DH, life must go on and I must go to the grocery store and replenish. I won't be able to tear Charlie away from the TV since the Master's golf tournament in on. It has really been odd for me to be the one who goes out to the store, pharmacy, etc. We used to do it all together.

I can't remember the name of the new lady who had a gastric sleeve done recently. We have quite a few here who have had some kind of bariatric surgery and you will get much expert help from them. The rest will just give support.

Joyce, Indiana
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    Wow Patsy! That is awesome! Welcome!!
    Karen in CA
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    AR10at50 wrote: »
    And apparently I don't know how to use the bold button.

heehee just "highlight with blue" then click the "B" button and it just encircles what you want in a bracket with a b on each side.
    Becca that is Bold Bracket qualified in
    Sunny Oregon

Well, thank you for taking the time to explain!!!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ What a beautiful bride you were.

Patsy ~ Welcome from another GA gal. I live in Marietta and grew up in Middle GA.

Miriam ~ That quilt is lovely.

I mopped the kitchen and bathrooms with Pine Sol today. Love the clean smell but afraid it may have made the floor sticky. Will use my steam mop next time.

Carol