Replies

• nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    grammyx23 wrote: »
    Good morning all.

I have a question for all of you.

Within a few hours of joining this community I had a friend request, not from any of you ladies but from a young man. His user name is hectorh82. From his pic he is late 20s/early 30s. Have any of you ladies had a similar request? Even at 67 I am leary of this sort of request. And so far he has lost 0 lbs. Should this individual be brought to attention of MFP management? I haven't responded to request yet & he has made no more attempt at communicating.

Sioux in Tulsa

even in these weightloss forums you have lurking "trolls" that just want to prey on our sympathy, or pocketbook. Delete them!

I think it's kinda creepy. Noreen
  • nb1959
    Options
    Grammyx23, I think it's kinda creepy.
  • nb1959
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    jrryzp4w7tzz.jpg

I noticed recently that my pedometer said that I hadn't been walking as many steps as usual even though it seemed that I was walking the dogs as long or longer than in past weeks. At first I thought maybe the pain in my legs had caused me to slow down or change my gait and that's why the steps weren't recording. Nobody cares about how many steps I walk, but the numbers matter to me and are motivating, so it troubled me a lot. Yesterday morning, after two and a half hours of dog walking, my pedometer had counted just over 6,000 steps and I know that in the past, a long walk like that would be way over 10,000 steps. I thought about buying a new pedometer or buying a fitbit with money that I really can't afford to spend. Then Jake remembered that we had an extra pedometer that we bought when he thought he'd lost his. He found it and I set it up. This morning I walked with one pedometer in each pocket and compared the steps after all the morning dog walking and there about a 6,000 step difference, so we threw the old one away and I'm using the one that was in the drawer for a few years. I am so happy.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

YAY!!!
  • nb1959
    Options
    117 -2 7 4 869 10
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

I only missed carbs, and it was just by 2. And and and, I have had enough to eat. Not starving!!! Elated.
  • claremaigheo
    claremaigheo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and new to posting on message boards here. Late last year sometime, I decided that it was time to get into shape and began using a Vivosmart and logging all of my meals here. It was a nice routine to get into and I started to really feel motivated. Just a few short months ago, my husband died very suddenly. Needless to say, all bets were off as far as having any type of routine or having any care whatsoever for anything. I am only a few months from this terrible, terrible thing and am trying to force myself to re-establish my routine here. I was not very motivated to do so but when I recharged my steps bracelet yesterday it automatically refreshed on my profile here so I logged in and entered info today. I am going to try to keep doing that but these are very, very dark days for me. I look forward to getting motivated from reading these posts.

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks Noreen. I know I shall have a hard time letting this last son go. It's definitely an inner struggle, to let them grow up independent, and self-reliant. This last son was born the year my husband retired from the Navy, so kind of the last free child from the military. Having said that, he never knew what it was like to not have his father in his life, unlike his two older brothers. Even though having my sons come back home every now and then, it's different. When I gave them to the Navy, (boot camp) they were 17 yr old kids, and when I saw them next, they were men. So really the sad thing is that I can never get back the son I said good-bye to. He has been transformed into the gentlemen you see in the pictures. I suppose the best gift I can give to my sons is letting them go, but hey, it still hurts. Whoa, even thinking that pertaining to my youngest son, makes my heart do double-time. I still have time to acclimate, and I should not even worry about it now. I do remember my older sons mentally letting go of me during their Senior year of high school. My middle son was out doing stuff with his friends, working out with the early entry people, and generally just "checking in" with me every so often. When I think about it, they let go of me, more than I let go of them. A natural progression of them becoming adults.

Wow getting philosophical here. Youngest son is on a field trip to Portland, and I want him home! He is in a robotics class, and there is some marine underwater robot that their teacher is letting them see. So its the teacher, and about 4 students. No official notification, just my son telling us what was happening. Small town schools drive me nuts. It's not that I don't trust the boy, its just my Momma Bear instincts kicking in. Hmmm need to call the school, its 5:38 PM....
    Becca
    Oregon
  • nb1959
    Options
    I am 50 and new to posting on message boards here. Late last year sometime, I decided that it was time to get into shape and began using a Vivosmart and logging all of my meals here. It was a nice routine to get into and I started to really feel motivated. Just a few short months ago, my husband died very suddenly. Needless to say, all bets were off as far as having any type of routine or having any care whatsoever for anything. I am only a few months from this terrible, terrible thing and am trying to force myself to re-establish my routine here. I was not very motivated to do so but when I recharged my steps bracelet yesterday it automatically refreshed on my profile here so I logged in and entered info today. I am going to try to keep doing that but these are very, very dark days for me. I look forward to getting motivated from reading these posts.

I am so very sorry to hear this. Please be very, very kind to yourself. Sleep, eat well, exercise, and watch out for sneaky habits that undermine your efforts toward healing. Indulge in things you love to do. And give yourself a big hug from me. Noreen
  • nb1959
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Thanks Noreen. I know I shall have a hard time letting this last son go. It's definitely an inner struggle, to let them grow up independent, and self-reliant. This last son was born the year my husband retired from the Navy, so kind of the last free child from the military. Having said that, he never knew what it was like to not have his father in his life, unlike his two older brothers. Even though having my sons come back home every now and then, it's different. When I gave them to the Navy, (boot camp) they were 17 yr old kids, and when I saw them next, they were men. So really the sad thing is that I can never get back the son I said good-bye to. He has been transformed into the gentlemen you see in the pictures. I suppose the best gift I can give to my sons is letting them go, but hey, it still hurts. Whoa, even thinking that pertaining to my youngest son, makes my heart do double-time. I still have time to acclimate, and I should not even worry about it now. I do remember my older sons mentally letting go of me during their Senior year of high school. My middle son was out doing stuff with his friends, working out with the early entry people, and generally just "checking in" with me every so often. When I think about it, they let go of me, more than I let go of them. A natural progression of them becoming adults.

Wow getting philosophical here. Youngest son is on a field trip to Portland, and I want him home! He is in a robotics class, and there is some marine underwater robot that their teacher is letting them see. So its the teacher, and about 4 students. No official notification, just my son telling us what was happening. Small town schools drive me nuts. It's not that I don't trust the boy, its just my Momma Bear instincts kicking in. Hmmm need to call the school, its 5:38 PM....
    Becca
    Oregon

Oh, my goodness, Ann. You are singing my song! I am still learning to let go...when to advise, when to listen...and my son is 30! I am just warm and welcoming, and I am rewarded with long (like 1-2 hours) a couple of times a month, when he calls me. I miss my little boy. I'll post a pic so you can see.
  • claremaigheo
    claremaigheo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    I am so very sorry to hear this. Please be very, very kind to yourself. Sleep, eat well, exercise, and watch out for sneaky habits that undermine your efforts toward healing. Indulge in things you love to do. And give yourself a big hug from me. Noreen

Thank you for this. Sleep is something that has been very, very difficult since it happened. That has been the hardest part. Our cat has been so good to me. She was never a lap cat but now she is and she sleeps with me every night. She misses him too and is trying to take good care of me.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Welcome to our group. Post when you can. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:
  • nb1959
    Options
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Sorry for your lose. I my thoughts are with you. Baby steps as they say. You made one with your step bracelet. Here to listen if you need to vent. Message me if you want or need to.

Anne from WI
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Okay, ya'll remember my phone call to my sister in Uganda on my cell phone? Got the bill today. We talked 37 minutes and it set me back $89. She said if I average it out 60 years of birthdays it wasn't such a bad deal. it was totally worth it, it helped her birthday be a good one. Pretty sure I'll be using my land line next time though. lol
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Booya Fitness Body Conditioning High Intensity Tonining DVD. We'll see what that one's like.

Sioux - I usually have my breakfast for the next day prepped and just in the refrig. Like you, my brain just doesn't work that well first thing in the morning (really, just about any time of the day....lol). This way I don't even have to *think* about what I'm going to have.

drkatiebug - well wishes sent to your sister (and you)

Larisa - do you have a TRX at home or do you have to go to the gym? As much as I wanted one, I really haven't used the TRX at home. I do need to try it, maybe on a Saturday when I have extra time. You deserve to brag!!!!

Joyce - that's wonderful news about Charlie. Say, does he have to drink extra fluids, and if so, any special fluids?

Kristi in NC - welcome! Great goals. What part of NC are you in? We have a couple of gals from NC (including me)

HoneyRose - welcome! Good goals

Marcelyn - I can't wait until we open the pool! But first we have to wait to see about the drive on the pump. At least it isn't the middle of summer.

Sioux - I had a friend request from some guy once. I just didn't accept it. I did write to him and asked him what attracted him to me. I don't remember what he said. You don't know, maybe he's also an American Indian and your name is something you have in common. I'd ask him and then make a decision. If it's a strange reason, I just wouldn't accept his request. Wow! Three dozen quilts. Are they full sized?

Chris - how old would you estimate that Gay Gasper is? Around 50?

Welcome everyone new (that includes you Debbie)

pip - if you don't have to raise any money for the kids, how do they get the money? Is maybe a company sponsoring it and will pay a certain amount for every mile?

We're going up to Jess' this weekend to attend the shower. In one sense, I can't wait. I can use the elliptical and the treadmill at the hotel. I really haven't been able to use them for the last few months and probably won't be able to until August (assuming no more seizures). Vince hates to get up early, I usually go to the Y early and exercise. I am trying to limit how often I ask him to get up early to take me to exercise. So far I've eliminated a lot, I only ask him to take me to exercise 6 times a month, and it'll only be three times in April. Exercising later in the day just doesn't work for me. When it comes down to it, I'd rather do a DVD at home so I can exercise earlier in the day.

Becca - lovely family.

Vicki - congrats on the new job!!! You'll be great. Big congrats on your 10 years no drink. That's a great accomplishment

Did a load of laundry and finished the second beaded banner. Only two more to go! Went to ceramics tonight and I finished my dolphin. It'll probably be fired tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get it, probably next Wednesday.

Gloria - why not set up a cot at the library????

Lisa - congrats on winning the trivia! Happy belated birthday. You should have let us know

clare... - so very sorry about your husband. Come in often, I know there are ladies who can share your feelings with you and know exactly where you are coming from.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    20,000 steps
    178 minutes of dog walking
    line dance class

I decided to postpone my weight training to tomorrow because of all the walking and dancing today and an hour of housework that made my legs ache a lot. Instead, I sat and knitted and watched some of the figure skating that I recorded.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washingtont113013.gif
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, glad you have been able to close the restaurant in your house. Lol I hope you have enjoyed the visit.

Betty, enjoy your get away at the B & B.

Traci, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. What ashamed that you had to have a knee replacement at such an early age. Congrats on the weight loss and good to put a stop to the gain before it gets out of hand. Come often and join right in.

MicheleNC, I still can’t get over all the yummy, fattening food that you cook/bake to take places. My mouth always waters just reading about it.

Sioux, I don’t even know if a smart phone can have two windows open at once?? If so, it’s too smart for me so I use my computer all that I can. It’s pretty smart but doesn’t try to embarrass me. working-on-a-computer-smiley-emoticon.gif

Rori, I’m the same way in that I’d do all kinds of home improvement projects if I had unlimited funds. I guess that is one reason I like some of the home improvement shows so much. Well, plus the Property Brothers are cute young things. angel.gif

Kay, it’s nice that you are concerned about your sister. Remember that her daughter is there and I’m sure she can step up when needed. If not she can always let you know that she really needs you.

Larisa, congrats on your walk. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to see improvement in our bodies. Keep up the good work.

JoyceIN, I’m sending good thoughts for your sister and DH. I don’t know that much about medicine but would be concerned with that drain at this point in the game. Hope all is well for both of them.

Kristi, welcome. It sounds like you have a good plan so just do your best to stick with it. We are all here for you.

HoneyRose, welcome to you as well. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Marcelyn, I hear ya on the battle with the ants. I don’t feel we ever kill any of them but just urge them to a new spot.

Margaret, good luck today with whichever technique you use. Just remember, “You are older and have better insurance.”

Sioux - I think we've all had one of those. I just rejected the request. In fact, I always find it a bit strange to get a friend request with no message, when it’s not someone that I know from a room.

Pip,. I agree it’s good that you can take your bike right to your desk. I’d think those expensive one’s get stolen often.

Katla, when you go to the beach, do people go in the water? I’d think the water temperature is quite chilly there.

Debbie, welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often for great support.

Mia, it’s so good to see you back and I love the new profile picture!!!

CarolGA, I keep trying to tell my DD, who is on a tight budget, that pets are expensive. She has two and thinking about a third.

Barbie, glad you found the pedometer that you already had.

Vicki NE, congrats on your 10 years!!! Keep up the great work. Congrats on the supervisor job and I hope it’s lots of extra cash?

Meg, so sorry to hear that Benny is having health issues. Our toy poodle has some kind of problem that the vet can’t figure out but at least it doesn’t make him throw up. It just worries me.

Allie, I hope you feel better tomorrow. (((Hugs)))

Gloria, my thoughts will be with you and we will miss you.

Lisa, what a nice birthday surprise! I guess I missed it when I got behind and had to skip some pages. Belated Happy Birthday.

Katla, glad you got the rearranging finished and like your room. I hope DD appreciates it.

Claire, welcome. So sorry to hear about your husband. It will definitely take time to get over something like that and I commend you for trying to get back to your eating routine. This is a very supportive group of ladies so come here often and just take one day at a time.

Noreen, great picture! What stadium are you in?

MicheleNC, I hope you enjoy your trip this weekend both for the shower and the work outs.

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The temperature got down in the 30’s last night which is cold for us this time of year. It was sunny today but still quite cool and our house stayed very cool. I never went out and think it might have been warmer out in the sun. lol Tomorrow is line dancing and then I need to go to Lowes to look at paint. Today I made some chicken soup that was some of the best I’ve ever made. Yum yum on a chilly day.
    Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.54min, 12.9amph, 147mhr, 2.9mi = 126c
    SPIN- 37min, 84ar, 102aw, 11-14g, 128ahr, 149mhr, 15.3mi = 318c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.49min, 12.9amph, 143mhr 1.4mi = 85c
    ride wk 2 hm- 16.23min, 10mph, 151mhr, 2.7mi = 175c
    total cal 704

didn't get to ride home, kirby needed me home quick, he was running late.
  • Annr
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    at5dgzzjha2c.jpg

aw handsome son! And HAIRY! All my military guys don't know what hairy means, I mean their legs are hairy but none touch their EARS. Against regulations!

Oh and my son made it home at 6:20PM ....phew....and my husband said they weren't back until 5:45 ish...(and now he tells me?? lol) The teacher fed them McDonalds for lunch, and KRISPY KREMES for afternoon drive home. AAACK.... My son won't wish this homemade awesome burger that is on the counter waiting... (he has to fit in his homework first!)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    aw thanks Michele in NC. I know you all get tired of me posting them, because I seem to do it every couple of months, but personally I love to splash them on here, and you all don't mind when I do. (((hugs)))

Oooh my carrots, tsp of brown sugar, tsp of light margarine, and walnuts dinner was sweet and yummy. I don't have that meal often, but when I do it really satisfies my sweet tooth (teeth).

Have already devoured my low fat popcorn.... It's 7:32 pm and I can't eat no more.....no more, no more..."singing that"....

Oh our TOPS meeting we talked about getting a new digital scale. The one currently is giving the weight recorders grief. So I raised my hand saying we need to get a TALKING scale, preferable one with a heavenly accent like Sean Connery. They all laughed at me yelling Nooooo. OK I am the clown of the group, I admit it.... :-)

Becca
    Bodacious Clown in
    Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Welcome to the group. I am so sorry for your loss of your husband. I echo Noreen's suggestion to take care of yourself as best you can.