Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    grammyx23 wrote: »
    Good morning all.

I have a question for all of you.

Within a few hours of joining this community I had a friend request, not from any of you ladies but from a young man. His user name is hectorh82. From his pic he is late 20s/early 30s. Have any of you ladies had a similar request? Even at 67 I am leary of this sort of request. And so far he has lost 0 lbs. Should this individual be brought to attention of MFP management? I haven't responded to request yet & he has made no more attempt at communicating.

Sioux in Tulsa

even in these weightloss forums you have lurking "trolls" that just want to prey on our sympathy, or pocketbook. Delete them!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    -Yvonne in TX~ Teenagers, when you keep the communication open, are quite entertaining things! He has gone thru so much in his 17 yrs, I am awed by him daily. Husband and I inserted ourselves in his business a LONG time ago, so with technology nowadays, its nice to look online all his homework, and grill him to make sure it gets done. Teachers hate that site, I think, because they need to LOG IN grades and keep on top of it, to really make it beneficial. The students hate the site, because, oh my gosh, they have to be accountable. We ask him daily how his day is, and rarely get just a "fine". He talks about each of his classes, his friends, and its like listening to a hormonal soap opera most days! We are blessed.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Thank you for sharing your thoughts as you read _The Dance of Anger_. I am enjoying your comments and think I may want to read this for myself.

Mia in MI
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Joyce ~ Know you love your quiet house again! My grandkids tire us out. I've quit cleaning when they are coming because it looks like a tornado has come through when they leave.

Becca ~ Thanks for sharing your pics. Good looking family.

Went to the vet for all the shots, etc. and got a $350 bill. They now have a shot for heart worms that only has to be given every 6 months. And there is a pill for fleas and ticks that you only give every 3 months. Too bad I didn't ask how much it cost before I agreed to get it - the flea/tick med was 2 pills for $109.

Carol Who is Feeling Poor
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    jrryzp4w7tzz.jpg

I noticed recently that my pedometer said that I hadn't been walking as many steps as usual even though it seemed that I was walking the dogs as long or longer than in past weeks. At first I thought maybe the pain in my legs had caused me to slow down or change my gait and that's why the steps weren't recording. Nobody cares about how many steps I walk, but the numbers matter to me and are motivating, so it troubled me a lot. Yesterday morning, after two and a half hours of dog walking, my pedometer had counted just over 6,000 steps and I know that in the past, a long walk like that would be way over 10,000 steps. I thought about buying a new pedometer or buying a fitbit with money that I really can't afford to spend. Then Jake remembered that we had an extra pedometer that we bought when he thought he'd lost his. He found it and I set it up. This morning I walked with one pedometer in each pocket and compared the steps after all the morning dog walking and there about a 6,000 step difference, so we threw the old one away and I'm using the one that was in the drawer for a few years. I am so happy.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, This is another week that is flying by. I had the last two days off and I spent most of Monday at the surgery center with my friend Lee. Then yesterday I cleaned house. Now I work the next three days and off the weekend. I got the call yesterday offering me the surpervisor job. I start on the 17th.

My eating has been bad again and not sure what is going on. No excuse, but seems like I am eating and not paying attention. Not sure that makes sense, but I have to get a handle on this. I need to slow down and remember to breath.

Yesterday I celebrated 10 years since I have had any kind of drink. Did not think I could do it. Some days are a lot harder then others.

Margaret--You gave me a lot to think about. Eating to cover feelings is a habit I need to break.

Lisa--Love the jacket. Sounds like you had a good trip and couple time.

Miriam--Sorry you feel the need to lurk and not say much. One of the things I love about this group is we all have a right to our opions and we are all different people with defferent lives. So if someone says something I do not agree with I try not to take it personal. I agree with Katla that we each have our own experinces and opions.

Chris MA--Sending hugs and prayers. You did great with the chicken. DH made stir fry last night with left over chicken and we have enough for serveral meals. Brought some to work today for lunch.

DJ--wise words and I wrote them down to put in front of me. Thanks

Sylvia--Sending hugs and healing prayers.

Anna IA--Sorry to hear all you are going thurogh. Sending hugs and prayers.

Well time to sign off for the day. I am up to top of page 14. Will type at you later.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends. So hard to keep up here! I read all the posts but just can't reply to all.

Benny Beagle is now coughing so hard he vomits (on my beige carpet...of course). I'm not sure what to do anymore and neither is the vet. He is convinced it's reflux and perhaps it's his new med that is causing this, but boy would I like to get a good night's sleep for once! We may have to reconsider the scope; he had been so sick I was really reluctant to do it (plus remember he takes 123 pills a week so I think he's a mess) but we may have to in order to get to the bottom of this. Otherwise he runs around and is perky like before all the seizures, so it's really confusing.

Beautiful day here today; I'm taking the Beagle for a walk when I get home.

I'm having one last appointment with PT tomorrow then transitioning to the new guy. We'll see if he is more helpful. I think I may have a bit more feeling in my lower leg/foot than before. It's definitely stronger.

OK must run. Take care all, Meg from Omaha
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks if I'm not writing long posts at the moment but I'm on the cellphone and being driven crazy by the main phone connection. One minute it's OK , the next it's flashing. :'(:'(:'( Using my data to keep up.
    Love you all and thinking of you. @):-
    Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Vicki, congrats on being offered the supervisor job...will you accept?....also congrats on ten years without a drink....are you following a program to do that? is there anything from that program that would help in staying away from eating things you know you shouldn't eat?

:'(Meg,sorry to hear that things aren't going well for Benny Beagle (and you, too, since you have to clean up after him and be awakened at night).

:'(Heather, sorry to hear about the continued troubles with your phone.

<3 Barbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    was a slug today, no gym, no DFIL did a bit of dusting and laundry and then off to work, think I am fighting a kidney infection.. we shall see how I feel in the morning.. right now not feeling so hot.. so off to bed...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Becca love the photos.

More thoughts from the chapter Using Anger as a Guide.

I like when the author asked why would any of us deny our anger and give up our personal clarity? Sometimes for me it is hard to know what I am really angry about and I find myself denying myself thinking I am protecting someone else.

She does talk about separation anxiety can hinder our move to be clear. The fear of losing the job or relationship. Sometimes the anxiety itself that costs us these things.

Sometimes we focus so much energy on the other person and their problems we lose our sense of "I". I find I am doing this with my son's problems. It is taking so much energy that I could be putting towards improving my own life. All this energy I am focusing on him does not seem to be helping him, and it hurts me.

Anger is a impetus for change when it nudges us to become more of an expert on ourselves and less on others. i.e. greater
    self awareness.

Using anger to help us make a statement about self creates a position of strength. (Confidence) Example: You may disagree; I see it this way.

When we feel stuck in a relationship it is often because we are having difficulty being clear about our wants and needs. Rather than think of these indecision as a negative reframe it as an opportunity to consider new options or choices available to us.

Slow down sometimes we do need to take time to struggle with it before what we need to do becomes clear.

I would like to end these reflections with a quote that was up in a school I taught in today.

"Rather then waiting for the storm to pass I would like to learn to dance in the rain."

:heart: Margaret
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - moving was a huge financial drain on my fixed income. I will not have internet for awhile so will only be able to communicate when I come to the library. May not have much time to respond but will try to keep up with reading and know that you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It's amazing how many times a day you pop into my thoughts as I go about my everyday chores etc.

Love you all - you are a wonderful lifeline!drawing-the-love-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Glo, you'll be missed! Go to the library a lot... :)

Vicki, congrats on the supervisor position!

Barbie, glad you got your pedometer woes sorted.

Heather, little is more frustrating than having a phone line go wonky. Didn't even put a phone line in the warehouse, just an Internet line from the cable folks. I use my cellphone for voice (unlimited, unlike data, which is restricted to 1gb) and use the cable for everything data related.

I won the trivia contest for the quarter, so was able to give my husband the new Amazon Fire tablet--decided to do that rather than give him my old one. I like mine, I've got all the settings the way I want, and he's kind of amazing. :blush: I'm hoping it moves him over into tablet land, his old laptop is so creaky, the space bar doesn't even work, among other keys. He never says anything, just soldiers on.

Small town life in a nutshell, they surprised me at the first question, asking what local author shared a birthday with the author of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. So the answer to the first question was... me! And brought out a chocolate birthday cake with peanut butter frosting and sang Happy Birthday. I only ate a tiny sliver, but got a little tearful at the surprise. People can be so kind.

Dinner's almost ready... he's cooking. Glad to be home at the ranch after two nights away...

Love,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ydaily: I hope you enjoy your greyhound. Our neighbor had one for a while and he was very sweet. We live in townhouses and he needed a fenced yard, so a friend of hers took him in. She didn't have enough time to give him the exercise he needed. :smiley:

Heather: I hope you get your internet back soon. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I love your photos Your men a are good looking group. :smiley:

Barbie: I'm glad you and Jake had a spare pedometer when you needed one. With all of your activity, I'm guessing the old one was too tired to keep up. :bigsmile:

Meg: Do I understand correctly that the dog takes 123 pills a week? Poor little guy. How old is he? :huh:

Gloria: I'm always glad to see your posts. I hope your financial situation improves quickly and you are able to have easier access to the internet. Meanwhile I'll be happy to see you when you can stop by. :flowerforyou:

We spent the day rearranging our upstairs furniture. Our bedroom now contains an antique cupboard that has been in the guestroom in addition to a treadle sewing machine that has been in the family for generations. The sewing machine is now along a wall that used to hold a lamp table and the table has been given away. We wanted to make more space in the guest room for DD & the grandchildren when they come to visit. So far I like the changes very much. We have pictures to hang tomorrow. We're tired now.

Last fall I stuck my fuchsias and a geranium under the Rhododendrons and wished them luck. This afternoon I found two live fuchsias and a live but struggling geranium. This is totally unexpected. I trimmed them up and put them in their summer places. I hope they have a good season. :bigsmile:!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Congrats Larissa!!!

Welcome newbies

Karen in Ny – forget you? Never!!!

Sioux – Heather is right, I’d just turn it down and move on….. unless it becomes repetitive. 3 dozen quilts since September Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becca – a great looking family you have

Barbie – I am so glad you found an “old” working pedometer – the count is motivation!

Vicki – congrats on your anniversary!

Glo – Rosie in S Ca is in the same position, sending good thoughts that both of you are able to get your finances in a better space. Thinking of you.

LISA – your birthday was APRIL 3rd… and you didn’t tell!!!! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Headed off to yoga and coffee with one of the gals in the class…

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Haven't felt well today; went to dentist for him to check gums, still a little area that he is watching. The bottoms did not seem to take this long to heal; but, then I had a spell of feeling like I was going to pass out. Case of the sleepy for a moment; and, laid down in their waiting room until it started to pass. Went by MD's office to get someone in his office to check my BP; she told me it was something like 122/68; then, they decided I needed to see the MD; full and could not work me in, so I saw one of his PA's. She listened to my heart a long period of time, said that she was going to do it, but, did not want me to be alarmed. Asked if I had ever had a 'stress test'; been there, done that. Did a EKG and that appeared normal. Took a bunch of blood (usually only 2; but, they took 5). Has me set up for a sonogram on my carotid (sp?) artery to check flow of blood. I'm had 'memory lapse, dizzy spells, and just 'tired' a lot. I did not go on my walk this afternoon. Sometimes at night I get very short of breath, even when I have had my C-pap on. Like my sister said, 'getting old is not for sissies'. Little bit of a headache, that felt like the blood vessels in my head were filling up with water/blood and that I could feel it as it went through my head. After leaving dentist office; I thought about calling DH to see if he'd run me home - not something I really wanted to do ... just wanted to get home. Haven't had a seizure in more than 2 years; but, was beginning to wonder if I was having some sort of 'aura'; so I have taken it very slow this afternoon.

Sorry that some of you are going through health and/or family issues.

Welcome to all the 'newbies' ... and I would delete the person who way trying to make friends, especially since this I supposed to be a place that women can come and say what is going on with us. Life does change at 50 or sometimes sooner or later for various reasons. I know I got on a 'thread' that quickly went from 'fun', to 'aggressive', to 'nasty', and 'down-right scary' in a 'sexual tone'. Some of them appeared to be 'trolling' and I have no reason to be involved with anything like that; so I blocked them and never have gone back. It 'sounded' fun and innocent with its title.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    barbicat - the pedometer almost looks like it has a 'cat' face with way the buttons are placed on it.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    barbicat - the pedometer almost looks like it has a 'cat' face with way the buttons are placed on it.

:) wow, I never noticed that til you pointed it out....sorry to hear about your scary spell after leaving the dentist...hope things get better for you.

<3 Barbie
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. What a wonderful way to start a new day---reading your posts is like having coffee with good friends before work! You guy make me smile, LOL, and shed a tear for you sometime. I feel blessed to be in the company of such intelligent, warm, and determined people. Well, If you don't mind and want to read further, I can tell you a little about myself. I am a writer at Florida State University and live in a small, rural community near-by. I am blissfully married. We have three grown boys, 3 grandchildren, three dogs, five cats, and numerous beaver, alligators, wading birds, birds of prey, song birds, varmints, and things that slither and crawl. There are wild turkey, deer, and coyote here. When we are not here we are camping with my grampuppies or friends. I have RA, osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and osteoarthritis, but they don't have me! Since I can't exercise I need to manage my weight through diet, so that's why I am here, so happily with y'all. I hope everyone has good day today. Be kind to yourself by taking excellent care of yourself! Oh, and I ate 12 Hershey's Kisses last night, one right after another. But I did log Day 3 and look forward to Day 4. Please keep writing. I am finding strength here. Hugs to all. Noreen, Quincy, Florida

Noreen~ I feel the same way about all these ladies here too. Nice to meet you!

I have cried, hooted, snickered, and that is all in the same day! You all make me feel normal. I personally never thought I would ever have my " band of sisters" like I do now. Moving all the time in the Navy, well I would never get a bond going, so its a relief to know I have you all, (plus my Oregonian friends in my TOPS group). I have a sense of peace about life now.

I also have 3 sons, ages 17, 21, and 26. The two oldest are active Navy, and the recruiters and colleges are ringing us up, and knocking on our door for the last son! They don't get him until next year, but we will be signing him up in the 'early entry program' come June. It positions him better for boot camp, in that he will have from this June to June 2017 to learn aspects of the Navy. Plus he can go up in rank, by being a part of this program, and getting qualified in this or that. My other sons definitely benefited from it, not having to cram all what boot camp threw at them.

Today we traveled to my husbands doctors appointment. Left at 7:30 AM and arrived home at 2:30 PM, so not bad. I drove home fine. I didn't even get pulled over by the cop off the side either!

Becca
    Oregon

Ann, you must be so proud. I am thankful for your family's service to our country!

That was from Noreen in Quincy.

Thanks Noreen, yep proud momma here.
    98ac815b-b517-4b81-8ec0-2266aafde26b_zpsubixrlgu.jpg
    Wedding%20013_zpsryqeomq2.jpg
    299_zpspeilylxe.jpg

One kid more to go, but here is a preview. He has worn the Navy uniform proudly all his life, even got one as a halloween costume one year, and it was the same rate as older brothers!
    359_zpstzciiajf.jpg

too cute, that kid. He's exploded though, and alot bigger now.
    001%202_zpsdhyf0vir.jpg
    Becca
    Oregon

I so loved these pix, I shared them with my husband. We think you have done a very good job, mama. What fine young men you have raised!