WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Marcylen ~ Wow! You have a heavy duty work day ahead. Makes me tired thinking about it. Enjoy.

Larisa ~ Congrats on the 4 mile walk. I envy you.

Margaret ~ Thanks for sharing your thoughts as you read that book.

Taking the Pom in for his shots today and will get the heart worm meds refilled. Also, need to get the flea/tick meds.

DH is off to do his weekend antique show so I am hoping to get some much needed house work done.

Carol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,236 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi all!
    I'm beginning to chicken out of the Guadeloupe idea, partly because there is no guaranteed safe way of paying for the villa. Also, it may be a bit too beachy for me. I've asked a company that we often go with to send an itinerary for the Yucatan Peninsular (Mexico) He recommended self drive, but one of the reasons I like their holidays is that you get a driver and are looked after, so I have asked him to quote for both methods. I don't find it relaxing looking for parking spaces at tourist sites etc. :noway:

Still listening to the aftermath of the stabbing on THE ARCHERS. :'( Police procedures etc.

Our phone line is still crackling. I'm hoping DH will take responsibility for dealing with that. :ohwell: Could be between the house and the road.

Love Heather UK

PS Just set up the new modem. Doesn't appear to be any better. :sad: Will have to get an engineer out for the line.
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

I have a question for all of you.

Within a few hours of joining this community I had a friend request, not from any of you ladies but from a young man. His user name is hectorh82. From his pic he is late 20s/early 30s. Have any of you ladies had a similar request? Even at 67 I am leary of this sort of request. And so far he has lost 0 lbs. Should this individual be brought to attention of MFP management? I haven't responded to request yet & he has made no more attempt at communicating.

Sioux in Tulsa
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Sioux - I think we'very all had one of those. I just rejected the request. <3
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did 20 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, 1 hr extremepump. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Gay Gasper Metabolic Interval DVD which I know is going to be on the rebounder. Her videos are always on the rebounder. Wish I could get some DVD's for the bosu.
    Michele in NC

What a small world! Gay Gasper is the younger sister of my childhood friend. I will always remember that I was sleeping over at their house the night of the moon walk and her mother let us stay up to watch the historic moment. I remember thinking that my mother would never have allowed me to stay up that late so I was grateful I was there. Ironically Gay was always fit and her older sister (my friend) always battled her weight, even as a young girl.

Chris in MA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

kritney - way to go, keep it up! oh yeah, welcome :0)

mightylolo - no problem with bragging, keep it up!

a bike got stolen at the train station yesterday, it wasn't even a hi end one. the cable lock they had must have been one of those skinny cheap ones that you can cut off with cable cutters. so glad I can take the bike with me and leave it by my desk while I work
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Larissa: Victory! You are making progress. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I'm sending good thoughts for Charlie and your sister. :heart:

Kristi in NC and Newbies: Welcome!

Heather: DD had a destination wedding in Mexico a few years ago. We all signed up for a tour from the hotel to some spectacular sites. It was worth the cost, and wonderful not to drive. That let us focus on the scenery. Mexican road signs were very easy to understand because they're similar to those we have in the US in terms of shapes, sizes and content. :smiley:

Sioux in Tulsa: I do not usually accept friend requests from strangers, but have made a few exceptions. If the person seems to share common interests with me, I am more likely to accept. Most of the new folks I do accept are people I've met on this thread or friends of people who are already friends. :flowerforyou:

We're doing some rearranging today so that DD and the kids will have a more comfortable situation in the guest room. She will be coming in a few weeks, shortly after her first visit with her new MD. I've been thinking of all sorts of fun ideas for things to do while she and the kids are here, and a trip to the beach is high on that list.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • jedaschultz
    jedaschultz Posts: 997 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this thread too.

My goals for the month of April are:
    1. Keep within my calorie goal every day.
    2. Drink at least 4 cups of water. A big challenge for me. Hope to work up to 6 for next month.
    3. Stay away from gunk food and sugar when traveling. Going on two weekend trips this month.
    4. Exercise more each day. Walk at least 5,000 daily steps. Hope to move up to 6,000 next month.
    5. Lose 5 pounds.
    6. Staying mentally positive and motivated.
    7. Thinking about one day at a time.
    8. Getting better sleep.

Debbie from Illinois

• grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I see that my comment of weight loss being published in church newsletter is causing several responses. I think I should explain the relationship I have with secretary. She is a friend. We even have our own social group in the church, mature unattached ladies, and we call ourselves Grace Girlz. There are about 8 - 10 of us (and 1 honorary gentlman) and we go out for lunch after church. Couple of years ago 6 of us went on a cruise. One lady has since moved to Wichita Falls and now I am the smallest in the group, and my goal is to lose 60 lbs. I feel that having it out there is more incentive for me to be successful. Our congregation is small everyone knows at least your name (like Cheers). I think our small size causes us to be closer, we work closer together in our many projects. I've been a member of this church since I was 11. They are my family.

Speaking of my church I need to get in there. I am leading a new group and our purpose is a quilt mission. We donate the quilts to the local domestic violence intervention service (DVIS). So far since our group formed in September we have donated 3 dozen quilts. We are proud of that quantity since there are less than 10 of us.

Hope you all have a "losing" day.
    Sioux in Tulsa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    :)Sioux, if I get a friend request from someone I don't know, I look at their profile and send them a message and ask why they want to be friends....sometimes it's because we live in the same state or region or because they've seen my poodle pictures and they have poodles....if I can't find common ground, I reject the request.

:)Margaret, I used the broken record technique when I was teaching....very effective :)

:)Debbie from Illinois, welcome, please keep coming back

:) Now I'm off to the most advanced of my line dance classes.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug - Ugh, I would hate it if someone posted to Facebook about my weight loss struggles. There's accountability, and then there's Too Much Information!

Joyce - Your story about Ellie reminded me of my niece's visit to us when she was 12. I didn't realize for several days that she wasn't brushing or combing her hair. That's when I learned that kids' ideas of personal hygiene don't necessarily match mine!

Heather - Bollywood dancing sounds like such fun! I also enjoy belly dancing, but I don't think there are any dance classes in our town.

Becca - I loved the story about your "Jazz Singer." He sounds like quite a character!

Michele - If I go to the Polka Worship Service I'll let you know! There are a lot of people of Czech ancestry in this area.

Penny - How lovely to start your day with a blackbird serenade! Here we have a lot of mockingbirds, and I love to hear them sing.

Welcome to all of the new people!

Spring has officially sprung, pollen is everywhere, and my face is trying to kill me. I used to be allergic to absolutely everything, but I had a long break from allergies after living in New Mexico for 12 years. I'm hoping this is a cold, but I fear the allergies may have finally caught up with me.

The foster greyhound is keeping me busy. She's gotten enough confidence to be wandering around the house exploring everything, and picking up anything she can carry. One of her favorite things to steal is bars of soap, so we have to keep the bathroom door closed. I guess it's a little like having a toddler around the house.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    just joined the great bike challenge. it's for the month of june. raising $$ for kids with cancer. every mile goes for that. no fee to join, no actual dollars to raise, since I ride anyway, I figured y not. I looked up to see how many miles I rode last year on Strava in june and it said 374 miles. this challenge is also counting spin bike miles so that will be more that I will manually add. we'll see how many miles I get in. I think I put my goal as 400 miles.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Surprise everyone, I am here early in MY day!!! The kids said they were going to leave about 10:30 so I set my alarm for 9:30. The kids were awake and that as it. my daughter woke up about 15 minutes before they left. So the house is quiet. I have done a soft walk through and I think this may be the first time after they have left that I am not finding a sock, pair of tiny underwear or something that didn't get packed. Trinity is petite enough, her and her sister still wear the same size in underwear although being a teenager she does have a different style now. I have been wondering if it is time to get my hair but. I have it cut every 6 weeks and I know it was soon. So I called her this morning and it is today! After that I will do a grocery trip and replenish my fridge. When I made my banana pudding last night I forgot how much milk it takes. We had 1 1/2 gallons when they got here last Saturday and last night I barely had enough for the pudding. So at least the do drink a lot of milk.

Got to get moving, Joyce, Indiana
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    I am up and waiting for the stuff in the dryer, and having a cup of tea...not working until 10:30 and having a little bit of tummy troubles, will see how I feel in a bit and go to the gym..
    Iced both heels as going on the treadmill , it does do damage after awhile ... but I sure do get the steps in...
    Heather~ if you go to Florida you have to spend a couple of days on Sanibel Island... It is my favorite place .. stunning beaches to collect shells,Bowman beach is wonderful... and the J.N..Ding Darling Wildlife refuge...Wildlife drive has one of the best birding area's in the country... tons of trails to walk, and an education center.. Tarpon Bay Explorers has a nice boat trip around even a sunset rookery tour... tons of neat restaurants and it is super bike friendly.. check it out on the internet... it is about an hr south of our place in Florida..

I lived very close in for 27 years. It is everything you say. I'll never forget the gorgeous sunsets!
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    drkatiebug - Ugh, I would hate it if someone posted to Facebook about my weight loss struggles. There's accountability, and then there's Too Much Information!

Joyce - Your story about Ellie reminded me of my niece's visit to us when she was 12. I didn't realize for several days that she wasn't brushing or combing her hair. That's when I learned that kids' ideas of personal hygiene don't necessarily match mine!

Heather - Bollywood dancing sounds like such fun! I also enjoy belly dancing, but I don't think there are any dance classes in our town.

Becca - I loved the story about your "Jazz Singer." He sounds like quite a character!

Michele - If I go to the Polka Worship Service I'll let you know! There are a lot of people of Czech ancestry in this area.

Penny - How lovely to start your day with a blackbird serenade! Here we have a lot of mockingbirds, and I love to hear them sing.

Welcome to all of the new people!

Spring has officially sprung, pollen is everywhere, and my face is trying to kill me. I used to be allergic to absolutely everything, but I had a long break from allergies after living in New Mexico for 12 years. I'm hoping this is a cold, but I fear the allergies may have finally caught up with me.

The foster greyhound is keeping me busy. She's gotten enough confidence to be wandering around the house exploring everything, and picking up anything she can carry. One of her favorite things to steal is bars of soap, so we have to keep the bathroom door closed. I guess it's a little like having a toddler around the house.

-Yvonne in TX

Love your fostering! I have done a lot of rescuing with an emphasis on behavior modification and management. I am part dog, I think!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Joyce - I bet it feels quiet now!

My Internet is on and off and the phone is #$÷×=. We have told the phone company, but they are "=÷×# also. I nearly had a melt down today.

Love you all, but can't stay on long! , :sad:

Thinking of everyone with troubles and welcome new ladies!

Heather UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Busy morning and afternoon; but I finally jumped on and got caught up on the last 50-60 posts! Just wanted to send a quick shout out to all of you! On my way to the laundromat to dry my two loads of laundry. My dryer decided to be a pill today, so until dh can take a look at it...off I go...
    Traci from Michigan- Special shout out and welcome to you! I am from Grand Haven and there is another gal on here, Mia who is from the east side (Ann Arbor area). Where in the mitten are you from? Be as specific or non-specific as you like city, county, U.P. or L.P., thumb, central, ....etc.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. What a wonderful way to start a new day---reading your posts is like having coffee with good friends before work! You guy make me smile, LOL, and shed a tear for you sometime. I feel blessed to be in the company of such intelligent, warm, and determined people. Well, If you don't mind and want to read further, I can tell you a little about myself. I am a writer at Florida State University and live in a small, rural community near-by. I am blissfully married. We have three grown boys, 3 grandchildren, three dogs, five cats, and numerous beaver, alligators, wading birds, birds of prey, song birds, varmints, and things that slither and crawl. There are wild turkey, deer, and coyote here. When we are not here we are camping with my grampuppies or friends. I have RA, osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and osteoarthritis, but they don't have me! Since I can't exercise I need to manage my weight through diet, so that's why I am here, so happily with y'all. I hope everyone has good day today. Be kind to yourself by taking excellent care of yourself! Oh, and I ate 12 Hershey's Kisses last night, one right after another. But I did log Day 3 and look forward to Day 4. Please keep writing. I am finding strength here. Hugs to all. Noreen, Quincy, Florida

Noreen~ I feel the same way about all these ladies here too. Nice to meet you!

I have cried, hooted, snickered, and that is all in the same day! You all make me feel normal. I personally never thought I would ever have my " band of sisters" like I do now. Moving all the time in the Navy, well I would never get a bond going, so its a relief to know I have you all, (plus my Oregonian friends in my TOPS group). I have a sense of peace about life now.

I also have 3 sons, ages 17, 21, and 26. The two oldest are active Navy, and the recruiters and colleges are ringing us up, and knocking on our door for the last son! They don't get him until next year, but we will be signing him up in the 'early entry program' come June. It positions him better for boot camp, in that he will have from this June to June 2017 to learn aspects of the Navy. Plus he can go up in rank, by being a part of this program, and getting qualified in this or that. My other sons definitely benefited from it, not having to cram all what boot camp threw at them.

Today we traveled to my husbands doctors appointment. Left at 7:30 AM and arrived home at 2:30 PM, so not bad. I drove home fine. I didn't even get pulled over by the cop off the side either!

Becca
    Oregon

Ann, you must be so proud. I am thankful for your family's service to our country!

That was from Noreen in Quincy.

Thanks Noreen, yep proud momma here.
    98ac815b-b517-4b81-8ec0-2266aafde26b_zpsubixrlgu.jpg
    Wedding%20013_zpsryqeomq2.jpg
    299_zpspeilylxe.jpg

One kid more to go, but here is a preview. He has worn the Navy uniform proudly all his life, even got one as a halloween costume one year, and it was the same rate as older brothers!
    359_zpstzciiajf.jpg

too cute, that kid. He's exploded though, and alot bigger now.
    001%202_zpsdhyf0vir.jpg
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Went to TOPS today, and I am down 2.8 lbs over 2 weeks. Not bad for being under the weather! We played Bingo, did some games, and I generally had a grand time. Love all the ladies there. I showed them my ouch toe from yesterday, and they awww'ed and oooh'ed appropriately :-)
    Becca
    Oregon