WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the New Ladies!

Michele in NC...you asked how old Gay Gasper is. I remember that her mother had me tie her shoes when she was pregnant with Gay because she couldn't reach her feet and I was about 6 years old. I'm now 59 so that would put Gay around 53. It's been fun remembering, thanks for the opportunity.

Happy to report that my GD is back to school today, the picture of health. Hard to imagine that less than a week ago she was in the hospital unable to walk. Wouldn't it be nice if we recovered so quickly? Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes, as you can see it helped immensely!!

I may need a kick from the boot...yesterday I cancelled a walk after work with a friend, I told her it was too cold and windy, which it was but nothing I haven't dealt with before. I got home and went to bed! I had intentions of using the elliptical and doing a kettlebell routine but just blew it off and went to bed, not to sleep, just to lazy around. This is definately not my typical behavior. I kept getting out of bed to get things to eat, which I did several times until 9 pm when I got on the elliptical for about 30 minutes. I was in bed, telling myself that if I exercised it would help my mental state. I've been so unfocused lately and afraid that I will undo all the good I have done. Haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks, too afraid. I know I've been dealing with alot, but I don't think much more that I have in the past when I began this life style change. For those who are new, I achieved my goal of losing 43 lbs. in December. This year has just been a huge struggle to maintain the lifestyle.

Friends are taking me away for the weekend to Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. I have 2 friends who have houses close to one another where we are staying. They insisted I go because they said I need my friends right now, and they are so right. It may just be what I need to reset myself mentally. I have awesome friends, you ladies included!

All the best to you,
    Chris in MA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and welcome new peepers -

grandmallie - u r no slug

gloworminwa - take care of u and your bucks, like lhannon says, go to the library alot!

exermom - i don't know i guess someone on their end is sponsoring all the people that ride, i just have to log it..

claremaigheo - i'm so sorry for your loss.. i can relate, i basically spent the 1st 5years after that in bed. i lost my husband and it's been awhile, but sometimes i go back and it feels like yesterday.

didn't get to ride home after all, I was ready to, then I got a text from Kirby telling me he was going to get home late so I took the train. today, he is going to text me 2c if I can ride home, it's supposed to be anywhere from 70-80 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I get to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be so bad about posting. The stitches (really staples) came out this morning. It was easier than I thought it would be. More PT today. I can now squeeze a foam rubber ball pretty well with right hand, and have more fine motor skills. Can pick up a dime with two fingers. Right leg still not cooperating too well, but my vision is a lot more clear and I'm not drooling, so things are really looking up. I got to ride along when hubby took the kids to school this morning. Typing is still really hard.

Take care!

Sylvia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    mikesmom :::::::::::strapping on the BIG boot:::::::::: weigh yourself, suck it up so you know what you're dealing with, don't beat yourself up about it, just move on..... U GOT THIS!
  • nancyscaloriecount
    nancyscaloriecount Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I'm 56 (soon 57...where does the time go). I lost 90 pounds in 2010 and have gained back 38 pounds of it....so here I am back at it again
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Claremaigheo- I feel so sorry for what you are going through. Please keep in touch with this wonderful group. They are so encouraging and wonderful. My favorite thing to do, is have coffee and read the posts. I too turned 50 and needed to change to some healthy habits.
    Please be good to yourself, and give yourself plenty of time to grieve. I love the way the cat is taking care of you; what a sweetheart! Hugs to you.
    Karen in KC, CA
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    And apparently I don't know how to use the bold button.
  • lwischer2014
    lwischer2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had gastric sleeve surgery on December 28th. I had lost 70 pounds prior to surgery and 25 since surgery. My goal is to lose 10 pounds per month so I am a little behind. I need to watch my portion size and not drunk prior to, with my meal or for 30 minutes following. No snacking! I am pretty good at getting my activity in, usually walk at least 10,000 steps! Could use encouragement!
  • bcmorris2002
    bcmorris2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need to get "re-motivated"..I left WW a few months ago because I didn't like the direction the program took. I did manage to lose 30 lbs before the changes. I enjoyed going to the meetings...but they just turned into *kitten* sessions. I am also a caretaker for my mother..she has MS and dementia and lives with me. So I miss the comradery.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the congrats on my exciting progress! I'm really happy about it myself. :smiley:

Michele, I've been doing the TRX at the gym, but I like it so much I may buy a strap for home. I can't afford one this month, so I have plenty of time to decide.

Well, Ladies, I promised I would dish, soo....I've been corresponding with the math professor, and we have an uncanny number of interests in common, and he wants to meet.
    He also wants kids "someday". Ummm? My girlfriend said not to take that too seriously; if it were that important, he'd have made it happen by now--or more likely, 10 years ago! I just think it's not a great sign. :confused:

Larisa

And your friend could be 'wrong', too. Maybe it was the other party that decided they'd be no kids. Our DYS got married or the 1st time at 37; and, his wife is also 37 and she has a daughter. They're trying several methods before going to any 'extreme' measures. Pray that it works for them.

As for you, I don't know what you expect in the way of kids (or more of them). Women are getting pregnant later and later in their lives, having had given it the back burner while they advanced in their 'careers'. With all the modern medical devices they can tell how the baby is doing very early on; and, sometimes they can even go in an 'operate' on them, and you'd still be able to carry the to term.

If you enjoy his company, I'd still be willing to take it as face value - he might not know what you have in mind. Personally, at the age of 50; I don't think I would have wanted any; but, I was already a grandmother before then, with a 2nd one early on, on it's way. DOS got 'started' early on his family at the ripe old age of 19.

Lenora

• pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,234 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've just had two posts bail on me because the Internet is flashing. Grrrrrrrr!
    In the UK Open Reach is a monopoly on phone and Internet wiring. We don't have cable in the countryside. It is a division of British Telecom, the very worst company in the world for customer service. At the moment they are "monitoring" the line until Saturday. I know that the problem is with the wire that comes from the street pole that comes into the house, but they won't be told. :'(
    I am on my phone data so can't linger.
    I have read all and send my love to all the sufferers on here. <3
    Heather UK
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the congrats on my exciting progress! I'm really happy about it myself. :smiley:

Michele, I've been doing the TRX at the gym, but I like it so much I may buy a strap for home. I can't afford one this month, so I have plenty of time to decide.

Well, Ladies, I promised I would dish, soo....I've been corresponding with the math professor, and we have an uncanny number of interests in common, and he wants to meet.
    He also wants kids "someday". Ummm? My girlfriend said not to take that too seriously; if it were that important, he'd have made it happen by now--or more likely, 10 years ago! I just think it's not a great sign. :confused:

Larisa

And your friend could be 'wrong', too. Maybe it was the other party that decided they'd be no kids. Our DYS got married or the 1st time at 37; and, his wife is also 37 and she has a daughter. They're trying several methods before going to any 'extreme' measures. Pray that it works for them.

As for you, I don't know what you expect in the way of kids (or more of them). Women are getting pregnant later and later in their lives, having had given it the back burner while they advanced in their 'careers'. With all the modern medical devices they can tell how the baby is doing very early on; and, sometimes they can even go in an 'operate' on them, and you'd still be able to carry the to term.

If you enjoy his company, I'd still be willing to take it as face value - he might not know what you have in mind. Personally, at the age of 50; I don't think I would have wanted any; but, I was already a grandmother before then, with a 2nd one early on, on it's way. DOS got 'started' early on his family at the ripe old age of 19.

Lenora

Thanks for that perspective. :smile: He's never been married before, so no 'other party' in that sense. I had wanted kids, when I was younger. In my case, it was the other party...and so much has happened to me, since then...
    Still, I would probably consider adopting, with the right man, despite my age. People in my family live to top 100, generally, and I'm in extremely good health other than the injury history. I can't make my own; even if I weren't getting into hot flashes these days; I have 56mm of cobalt-chromium in each femur, with pretty serious fetal toxicity issues.

He wants to meet day after tomorrow! For better or worse, I'm booked, and will have to put him off a week.

Larisa

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bcmorris2001 - You'll get motivation and encouragement from the ladies here. Let us know what you prefer to be called; where you are located, generally or literally, What you enjoy doing, family (DH, DS or DD, DGDs or DGDs), hobbies ... what your goal (maybe is); we're all here for 'weight loss', maintaining, or a few to 'gain' weight. Sometimes we also vent and rant, post pictures of any subject. I think that since there are no men (or any known) here on this 'thread' we can be ourselves and say just about anything.

Barbie posts a ling on the last day of the month to follow into the next month. Make sure you 'bookmark' the site by clicking on the outline of the star in the upper right-hand corner at the top of the page. It will turn yellow; then, when you come back the next time, click on the gray star; and it will bring you to the 'new' site; bookmark it like before and it will take you to that month and occasional also show you the posts that got posted before someone who had posted before getting the 'new link'. Hope that is clear enough. You cannot go back to the previous page after typing your post (unless you hit 'post'; and, there is a gear in the upper right-hand corner of the box (light yellow) that will allow you to correct anything you've posted since. Another way that a lot of do, is to 'open' up a word processing program; and, it should allow you to minimize the 2 screens so you can type to a lot of others. Then you would open a new box; go back to your post typed in your W.P program and highlight it and cut and paste it to that box. It will remain yellow and you can make any changes or clarifications' on anything you have typed. If you want it to be bold, italicizes, struck though; just highlight that part of it; and go up and hit it. It will put a letter in paragraph [lower case] at the beginning and the end of what you want to highlight. Add 'smiley' faces from putting your cursor where you want it and hit the smiley face up top and it will put one there. B);)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Get a good food scale; measuring cup (or cups); and a good set of measuring spoons. WW has a good set of spoons (if you don't have any). To be honest with yourself and to be able to see what you are doing right or wrong; you will then notice the days that you did good of bad. Measuring everything that goes in your mouth; or liquids (water).

Try increasing your water intake to the recommended amount of 8 8-ounces glass you eat, then all that counts would be the sugar in it.

Lenora

PS - nobody sees it if you make it 'private'; but, I don't know what or how to tell you about this
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B) Summer, north of the equator is now in Spring and Summer.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    bcmorris2001 - You'll get motivation and encouragement from the ladies here. Let us know what you prefer to be called; where you are located, generally or literally, What you enjoy doing, family (DH, DS or DD, DGDs or DGDs), hobbies ... what your goal (maybe is); we're all here for 'weight loss', maintaining, or a few to 'gain' weight. Sometimes we also vent and rant, post pictures of any subject. I think that since there are no men (or any known) here on this 'thread' we can be ourselves and say just about anything.

Barbie posts a ling on the last day of the month to follow into the next month. Make sure you 'bookmark' the site by clicking on the outline of the star in the upper right-hand corner at the top of the page. It will turn yellow; then, when you come back the next time, click on the gray star; and it will bring you to the 'new' site; bookmark it like before and it will take you to that month and occasional also show you the posts that got posted before someone who had posted before getting the 'new link'. Hope that is clear enough. You cannot go back to the previous page after typing your post (unless you hit 'post'; and, there is a gear in the upper right-hand corner of the box (light yellow) that will allow you to correct anything you've posted since. Another way that a lot of do, is to 'open' up a word processing program; and, it should allow you to minimize the 2 screens so you can type to a lot of others. Then you would open a new box; go back to your post typed in your W.P program and highlight it and cut and paste it to that box. It will remain yellow and you can make any changes or clarifications' on anything you have typed. If you want it to be bold, italicizes, struck though; just highlight that part of it; and go up and hit it. It will put a letter in paragraph [lower case] at the beginning and the end of what you want to highlight. Add 'smiley' faces from putting your cursor where you want it and hit the smiley face up top and it will put one there. B);)

YOU ROCK :smiley:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Chris – Will all you’ve gone through with DGD and her being in the hospital … no wonder you hit the ‘sack’, I would have done so, too. Enjoy your trips with your friends and maybe y’all can agree to meet up with one another.

I just finished my 40-minute walk with Cracker. Nice outside, not too cold or hot; just a great Spring Day in SWGA.

Lenora