WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Dear Pip, you always get right to the point..... or is that a dot, or maybe it's a period or a squished gnat. Ha!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    B)<3:D
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Installment #2

I had returned to California and for the next couple of months, rotated from one family member to another, in a trance really. My life was just a stagnant mess. I knew I was stalling, and truthfully, it was easier to not make any decisions, then make plans I would regret.

You see, I had married Leroy right out of high school, never being on my own, making mistakes, or being confident in my own skin. It's tough to take that first step, so I had let family take those steps for me. My dear mother, who always sensed my own thoughts before I even thought them, said to me one day, "Becca, only you can make your own magic, darling". It was a simple sentence but it rang true for me. My heart had heard it. I had packed that day, and left my family. I left my own safe cocoon. Leaving seemed to be the only thing I was great at.

My hands dig into my pockets, taking mental inventory. Keys, check. Wallet, check. My fingers dig further and locate a mint. It is a mint from a Chinese restaurant I had gone to for solace after a long day of driving. Having $10 to my name, and a belly that was talking in complete sentences didn't help me, when I had perused the menu. I remembered that I had chosen "the special". Hot & Sour soup, with chicken fried rice. Even the water tasted amazing. That is the one thing I can not get enough of. The water in Oregon. Sweet and cold, with no aftertaste. Sadly, the water in California had an actual color to it. Leroy said my eyes played tricks on me. Amazingly enough, seeing that mint brought the memory all back. Not the memory of the yucky looking water but of the little cups of sweet tea. The mint melts in my mouth, and I close my eyes. My stomach makes a gurgling sound as if to say hello you nut you need to fill me, not just breathe in Oregonian coastal air. Walking back the to car, I flop my flip flops noisily, making the damp sand release its hold between my toes.

Back in my car, situated off the main highway, I am parked in a small gravel parking lot at the end of a trail leading from the ocean. I pull out my crumbled map of Oregon. Months ago, I had purchased this map, at a 7-11, folded so tightly, all proper like. An American origami... Now, its folds seemingly on the verge of detachment, I spread it out carefully. "The people that folded these were on drugs, to just annoy and confuse the likes of me!' I yell. I take off my knitted cap, and dust the dashboard checking the gas gage. Half a tank, good. Smiling, I caress the wheel. God, I love this car. It's a Chevy Spark, and it has character, plus it's a voguish green. It is called Jalapeno Green, but to me it looks bug-like so my pet name for it has always been "Spark Bug". People ask me if it's electric but its not. Why it's called a Spark is beyond me, but she is a cutie, and it suits her. It's then I notice the ivory rose on the windshield.....

Glad you all are enjoying this...I only have a couple of pages of this story. Pretty soon I will be writing these for you in "real time"....I kind of have a story line.

Becca
    Oregon
    ps....its foggy and I can hear the fog horns of the ships coming down the Columbia River. The chatter back and forth is haunting. Every once in awhile a large ship honks many times.....the "I go because I have the most tonnage honk".
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Becca wrote "ps....its foggy and I can hear the fog horns of the ships coming down the Columbia River. The chatter back and forth is haunting. Every once in awhile a large ship honks many times.....the "I go because I have the most tonnage honk".

I've never heard a fog horn, other than TV or whatever. I'd love to sit and listen. Thanks for sharing your book so far :)

Janetr OKC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    222miiup1q73.gif
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    222miiup1q73.gif

Very cool !!! Gayle
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    get that bug off my screen!!! :s
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Marcelynh - Lol LOVE it. Thanks

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    get that bug off my screen!!! :s

Joyce - I keep trying to swat it and miss !!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    is is a bug or pip's . coming to life?
  • janetr7476
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    is is a bug or pip's . coming to life?

I was wondering the same thing.

Janet OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - Where did you get that bug?????!!!!????!!!!!? :drinker:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Lord, that bug scared the daylights out of me :open_mouth:
    I am feeling a tad bit better, but still sound like Darth Vader, my boss said I sounded creepy lol
    I am waiting until I am feeling well before I go see my DFIL.. will do some laundry in the morning and then go get stuff done at my dads house...
    Patsy~ I have Poly Cystic Kidney Disease ,my mom didnt know she had it and went straight into renal failure ,was on dyalisis for 6 yrs before she passed..at the age of 65.. I found out when she found out so for the past 20 yrs I have seen a nepheroligist 2 times a year..I am high stage 3 of 5, and will be seeing a new kidney Dr in August...
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    222miiup1q73.gif

I was getting so frustrated trying to swipe the bug off my iPad!!
    Good day all!
    Chris in MA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I think Irish Terri has been busy with another thread she's on - a Hogwarts Challenge. She posts regularly on her home page and when I went in today to check up on her I discovered it's her 70th birthday! I congratulated her and told her we missed her.
    /Penny
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... I'm up at the ranch clubhouse (we call it the cantina), as it's on a generator. We got 2.5 inches of rain in less than an hour between 5 and 6 p.m., and a tornado touched down about ten miles away, must have taken out the power lines. May not sound like much rain, but when it's coming down too fast to absorb at all, it floods all the draws. I made it to the ranchhouse just as the hail started, and the hubby brought me out a hard hat out so we could get the groceries in... :) Had I been delayed more than 15 minutes, I would have been stuck at his shop, as there's a deep draw between his mechanic shop and the house. A "draw" here is what is ordinarily a dry creekbed.

No electricity for more than 13 hours now, but we're kind of used to it. Someone sneezes too hard out here, we lose the power, but seldom for this long. Hopefully, the generator here at the cantina will hold out through a second or third cup of coffee. After that, once it's daylight, I can go to town. We've got battery lights everywhere, but since the outages are short, and during the daytime usually, we only use the lights like once every four months. That's the first thing you do is go around and replace batteries, because half of them die in that time.

The delay in getting to the ranch was because a semi truck jack-knifed about ten miles before the ranch gate, took out the guard rails on both sides of the road at a small bridge. Looked like he hit his brakes too hard about halfway down a rain-slick hill and lost it. Probably going too fast, as the pavement was dry until about 20 yards down the downhill side. He was standing talking on his cellphone when they finally let our side of traffic go through, seemed fine. He was lucky.

Here's a picture someone took of the tornado--I was on that road, at the time it was taken, but never saw it.

Lisa in stormy West Texas, about to start that second cup of coffee.
    2y0vkma3majj.jpg
    TT1.jpg 38.4K
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    222miiup1q73.gif

I don't know where the bug came from....but I know how to move it to my post
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Becca feel like I am there is the story. Spark bug great name.

Lisa scary

BUG it took me a moment. LOL
    222miiup1q73.gif

222miiup1q73.gif

I was seeing if I could find a way to copy it too!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the storm areas: Please stay safe.

CJ