WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    Options
    Lovely to see you Sylvia! Sounds as if you have had an amazing "adventure" ! ;) Great to see you back up n at 'em. :flowerforyou:

Cheri - When I was young we had a Jewish lodger who became a sort of close auntie to us for many years. She introduced us to matzo (sp), which I really liked. She also taught me some Yiddish expressions which I have never forgotten.
    It reminded me when you were talking about the bread. :)

Love Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sylvia so wonderful to see you. Your pottery is beautiful. I'm glad the opening was a raging success.

Going to be in the mid 80s here for the next five days, yes!!!

Janetr okc
  • boopsterwetcoast1972
    Options
    Enjoying spring. I'm glad for your "connects", especially if you, like me, are making a sincere effort. Interested in being focused and successful, not perfect.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, probably a squirrel, or maybe a chipmunk. Sometimes laying chicken wire over the top of the soil can keep them out. You have to carefully plant between the wires, using small plants. Or you can sprinkle red pepper all over but you have to replenish that. Another possibilities is birds looking for worms, in which case the red pepper won't help.

As for mega doses of fish oil. Mega doses of anything are not a good idea. Either you become toxic, or you waste your money because your body flushes out the excess in your urine. Fish oil pills would most likely cause nausea and diarrhea. Now fish oil (omega 3) in normal doses or even slightly more than normal can help with arthritis as well as many of the other things that ail modern Americans. We used to get much more naturally in our diet, but even beef has little Omega 3 since cows are no longer grass fed.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    well boring peeps -
    today is kirby's 8mi, and mine is the first double digit, (in a long time) 10mi.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Worked four days this week, so I am catching up with things around the house.

Trying out some ideas read in a book on Mindful eating. It too suggests take time to observe just as in Dance With Anger recommends to take time to observe my reactions to people and to situations. The number one suggestion I am starting to try is to slow down and use all of my senses as I enjoy my food. Think about why I am eating this particular food. If I am not particularly hungry or am not enjoying this food. Stop! The goal is to neither over eat nor under eat and to truly enjoy the food I am blessed to eat. Finding an overall balance.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Sylvia Love the pottery. What cone are you firing? I wish beyond wishing that I could build myself a gas reduction cone 10 kiln but alas... not in my neighborhood. I do miss those reduction earthy tones. I'm having a bit of success with some cone 5 reduction look-alike glazes but I don't do enough to justify mixing my own glazes so I stick with commercially prepared ones.

Opening the pool tomorrow so my husband is out busily cleaning and scrubbing it down. He'll get on his scuba gear this afternoon and clean out the bottom drains. So much easier now that he can do it without having to come up for air every 45 seconds.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: You and your pottery look great! I'm so happy that you are feeling better. :bigsmile:

Anne from WI: Have a happy day. You seem to be off to a good start. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: DH went to an acupuncturist for several years before he agreed to MS treatment. She also recommended fish oil, but not mega doses. I hope it helps your daughter. :smiley:

Pip: Boring peeps? :huh: :devil:

Busy day to day. I have a riding lesson and DH will be showing our son's sailboat to a prospective buyer. Good thoughts for a successful sale would be very welcome. It needs a new home and our son needs to move on to something else that is more suitable to his new location. :heart:

Have a great day, everyone!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kim – SSD (or SSI under regular retirement age of 65 or 66); which one can take it early (at 62) with a lower amount (but won’t increase when you turn 65 or 66) does have restrictions about what you can earn over what you get from them. After 65 you can earn what you wish (under SSI). I’ve never wanted to run the risk of losing my SSD (which I took 15+ years ago) as a ‘disability’ because of being ‘bipolar’ and unable to take the stress of my job. I am an artist; so when I paint and sell a painting on commission – I ask them to make the check out to DH’s painting business; so the requisite taxes are paid. I don’t know the limit of what you can ‘earn’ while on disability (and not be punished) or if you take early retirement at the age of 62; but, got as many answers as the number of people I talked to even at the SSA office. I’ve also been paid cash and it has not that much. If they write a check, it is made out to him. My Retirement check got affected when I turned 62 pretty drastically (because I had taken it 56 years of age). I was totally surprised by that; although I remembered later being told it would go down once I turned 62. It again took a significant ‘hit’ when my health insurance went up to comply with ObamaCare. More than ½ of it is taken out of it to pay for insurance; but, I have to have it to comply with the dictates of ObamaCare; and, cover my DH. He is self-employed and does not have any healthcare insurance other than mine.

Since my painting is done mostly for gifts to family and a few friends, I rarely will paint anything on commission that I won’t make them write out a check for. If it is less than $600 they would not have to provide a 1099 for it for any reason (not that I would be their employee); but, you’d be surprised at what people do if they think they can get away with hit. Several years ago, one of my husband’s client’s ‘ex’s wrote out a 1099 (incorrectly to begin with) and thankfully my BF, who does our taxes) was able to write a letter for us showing the IRS that we had paid taxes on it; and that the amount was put in the wrong box, and that he had NOT done any work for HIM that tax year. Also his ‘wife’ had given us a 1099 because ‘she’ was the one who paid us, not him. He had gotten pissed with DH because he painted his ‘ex’s house. Hey, a customer is a customer and he would have painted his house if he had asked him to do so.

I’ve been asked before why I did not get a job as a ‘clerk’ in a store; mainly, because I’d lose my SSD which was based on my income at the time of my disability; and, if I lost it and had another episode that was disabling; I might not get much, if anything. I’m constantly trying to think of ways to help supplement my income – but the risk of losing my check makes it not worth the extra money or having to pay taxes on it.

When people ask me what I do – I tell them I am ‘retired’, too; the ‘few’ times I have admitted that I am ‘retired on a disability’ … I agree with Miriam … you become a ‘faceless’ person not worth their effort to talk to and they usually find an excuse to turn away from you. I stopped saying it very quickly. Then I got ‘well, you are too young to be retired’. Mmmmm, I could ‘retire’ anytime I wanted to, so there; sometimes I would say that I was a ‘housewife’. No harm done because I was. None of their business where I got my money or how my DH and I live - he makes a good living as a paint contractor with a small crew; he'd like to retire; but, so long as DOS works for him ... he will continue working - even though he is 'tired'. DOS made the comment that he did not know what he'd do ... he had mentioned getting the 'insurance agent's certification'; was told it was a 'cut throat business'; he'd like to get his CDL (???) trucker's license. I just cannot see him driving a big rig; and, he would have to 'go to school' to do that. I did tell him that he needed to figure out what he wanted to do because DBnL might be moving to live with or near his granddaughter and grandson-in-law while they go to medical school in Gainesville, FL and if that happens his Dad is really going to get 'tired' a lot faster. They're going to work this afternoon trying to finish up a house that they spent 2 days washing it, the stone driveway, stone wall and fireplace, 6' brick fence for dog (inside and out) and about 600 feet of picket fence front and back. The painting will be the easy part of it and they'll be able to do it all probably in a few hours.

He put a bid in for a job; and, one of the carpenter's that he has worked with told him, 'don't take that job' you will get 'screwed over'. He has been trying to get paid since the first of January when he did some repairs on a new-to-them' building for their business of bread making. DH cannot afford having someone rip him off. He had a client who several years ago would without the last installment to try to get him to do more work for him than had been agreed on. The last time he called for an estimate, told him he was 'too busy to give him one'. He wanted DH to just give him an 'estimate'. Outside trim only, on a 2-story house, 3 doors and 12 windows. Louis gave him a price that was just 'out of the world' ... he told Louis, 'you're kidding, aren't you'; Louis told him 'no' that is my price (sight unseen) for those items only'. Thankfully we've never heard from him again. He did call once since we've been out here and I would not even let him talk to DH; telling him that DH was no longer 'in the business'. He just wanted Louis to give him a price. I almost got into an argument with him; he was NOT going to talk to Louis - not to give him a price or even to call to tell him "Hello". DOS told him, that if she called to tell her they are booked since they had not heard from her when she told them that she'd call. If he did not do it, then he told him to tell her to call him ... and he will. Won't worry about pissing her off. He had given her a price (for painting the inside) and without blinking an eye she asked if that included painting the outside. He told her 'absolutely not, you did not ask about the outside'.

I was told by the husband of a friend of mine, that because of his disability, his ‘hobby’ of being a gunsmith was taken away from him. It was a ‘mental disability’; and, he got paid ‘extra’ to make up for this. I’m not sure I believe him.

Joyce – Like you, I might be ‘able’ to work; but, don’t because of my cognitive abilities are affected; getting overly ‘tired’ and just not being able to remember things that I am supposed to do or how to do them, especially in order. At least, at home, I can wait to do things until later, tomorrow, or next week. Easy to keep house straightened, write down a list of errands to run, and list for groceries (I only have to remember to put it in my pocketbook). DH usually makes the list … and many times I have called him to find out what was on the list. Now he tells me, ‘I’ve put the grocery list in your purse’ (or checkbook).

Gayle – To clarify … those of us on SSI or SSD ‘paid’ into the Social Security System during our working years. That money belongs to us – unfortunately the Social Security System has been ‘raped’ so to speak and placed into other ‘government programs’ … that are not fair; such as Medicaid – which REALLY discourages people from seeking and/or getting a job – it is really restrictive if they work, they lose medical care, food stamps, housing, etc., and then they have more children because it means more money. It also encourages them to have ‘fatherless’ homes. SS is 'our money' ... that we were told would be there to 'help' take care of us in our old age; not enough to live on - just to help. But, we are penalized if we continue working when we receive it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who think they could have taken that money taken out of their payroll checks and invested it better. Also, like Congress who does not ‘pay into the Social Security System’ and draw from it when they ‘retire’ – they have their ‘own’ retirement system … ‘receiving it when they leave office’ even at the end on one term – they get a lifetime salary – which is wrong, wrong, wrong, They should not be able to be ‘career politicians’; if the POTUS is restricted from running for office after 2 terms (8 years); there ought to be a limit on a lot of other ‘governmental elected’ officials' terms (limits); but, they are in it for the ‘power’ it gives them … not necessarily for the money (that’s just another ‘perk’). IMHO. They ought to have to ‘go back to work’ and not ‘draw’ their SSI until they reach retirement age. They should be 'required' to follow the laws they impose on the rest of us.

I worked as a paralegal and ‘yes’ I agree with you (and your attorney DH) … there are a LOT of people out there filing for frivolous claims. Cheaper for the insurance company to offer a settlement than it would be for them to defend it in court. A lot are ‘not really hurt’ … but, they wear their ‘collars’ around their necks (in public) and make sure they don’t come outside to do any sort of yard work, until they ‘settle’ their claims, then miraculously they are ‘healed’ and can do everything and anything they want. I saw that when working. Some law offices had ‘runners’ … ‘ambulance chasers’ so to speak; and would go to the hospital to ‘sign them up’. The law firm I worked for would NOT go to the hospital to sign anybody up. When a former client came in and said their mother, father, aunt, uncle, etc., had been ‘in a wreck’ … they were told that they (patient or their families) should NOT sign anything while ‘in the hospital’. We could/would talk to a spouse, parent, and adult child; but, never go to the hospital. Unethical; but, also back when I worked as a Paralegal … Attorneys did NOT advertise on TV or in the newspaper. Really considered unethical and went against 'bar rules'. One could be disbarred for doing so. Like MDs, attorneys would get their business through 'word of mouth'. Have you noticed that ‘everything’ we use eventually becomes an advertisement for a ‘class action’ matter?

Becca – What date did you start this ‘story’? I did not get into it until many, many days afterwards and I would like to read it from the beginning.

Sylvia – Love the pottery! I love unusual pottery pots to put my plants into. I have a couple of Styrofoam planters for my very large ferns that are painted to look like pottery; some I would like to repaint a different color; just not sure what type of paint to use on them. Acrylic or house paint (or stain).

Cheri – I took ‘fish oil’ several years ago because of a medication I was taking. No harm in taking it, good for a lot of reasons … but, don’t make the mistake of ‘thinking’ … oh, I will get the ‘gummies’. DON’T, they are horrible. A lot of fish oil tables/capsules have a bad after taste; so, she’d need to make sure that the ones she takes won’t have that have a taste or won’t come up with a ‘burp’. I threw out a jar of the gummies. YUCK!!!!! There are other supplements that are probably better and don’t have that awful taste and won’t make you burp and get that taste all over again. Omega 3, multi-vitamins, etc. I am now on an 'iron' pill to help with 'energy'. I take enough medication for several health issues and really don’t like taking supplements or vitamins unless told I need to.

Lenora
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Sylvia: You and your pottery look great! I'm so happy that you are feeling better. :bigsmile:

Pip: Boring peeps? :huh: :devil:

Katla - I'm hoping Pip meant to write "morning peeps" but misspelled and got some unwanted help from autocorrect. Though you can never be quite sure with a prankster like the Pipster!

I agree with what you said about Sylvia and her pottery, but I would also add that the gallery looks great. Sylvia, if that's the place you and your co-op friend have been working at fixing up, you've done a fantastic job! But most of all, I'm thrilled to hear about your progress on the health front.

Chris - What can I say? I'm crying with you about the abrupt end of your romance. I hope things turn around again for you.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Kim!

/Penny
  • Pollance
    Pollance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hoping this post will actually work since most / all of the text deleted with the last 2.

Chris, so sorry re PB. His loss. There is obviously someone out there who is even better for you! It hurts, but you'll heal and be stronger for the experience.

DrKatieBug, CONGRATULATIONS! A huge milestone!

Becca, love the story! I wasn't sure how the dream sequence fit in though. I'm a little confused.

Allie, glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. Remember not to push yourself until you are 100%!

KJL, if you decide that you are interested in looking into the PEO assistance, please let me know. I am a PEO, and if you let me know where you are, I will find the chapter closest to you and ask someone to contact you.

Everyone, FYI, in the not too distant past, PEO began to support loans for freshman women coming out of high school. I mention this in case anyone has a granddaughter going into post secondary education who could use some additional financial assistance. FYI, PEO is also in Canada.

Sue, thanks for sharing. I love hearing success stories of women who have been supported by PEO!

Kim, good luck! It's funny how things arise in life!

Hope everyone with weather issues stays safe!

Re tattoos, in my industry, there are unwritten rules that (nearly) everyone adheres to, one of which is that one doesn't have a tattoo visible. Part of the posts that didn't post was the explanation of my tattoo design (pic did post). The Royal flush is for my son, who was ever the optimist, lived life to its fullest, and loved to play poker. Batman had been his hero from the time he was small. My daughter was a jazz singer with an incredible voice (the microphone) and her favorite flower was a red rose.

I had interviews at 3 different companies in 3 days this week. (1 was a second interview). I'm brain dead and sleep deprived from all of the prep work! Hopefully 1 of them will decide that I'm the candidate for them. All of the companies are interviewing a lot of people and competition is stiff. Fingers crossed.

Was so exhausted last evening that I didn't even go for a walk. I did however get the outdoor Christmas lights down....what the heck, it's only April....!!!!

This morning the scales still start with a 2....sigh...maybe this will be the week.

From the rainy northeast...Have a great day everyone!
    Nikki from just outside of Boston.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    have been busy today, didn't get down to feed DFIL as I stopped up to see my DSIL and we got to yakking and 2 hrs later ,it was time to go.. will go see him tomorrow morning..
    Well I just finished cleaning my bedroom, took all my winter stuff out of drawers /closet and put them away except for a few pair of long sleeve shirts a sweater and a couple pairs of pants... swept ,dusted, and put fresh sheets on the bed.. Tom came home and has taken a couple of naps, rests,he didnt sleep well last night and his sciatic nerve gives him trouble.. he will be on the road weds for 2 1/2 days and sitting alot.. so hope it wont bother him much.. with him gone, I like being on my own... so I will do work up at Dads in my free time, but have to do ,my work that I usually do around here, plus his.. and my paying job..
    and get my hiney back to the gym.... all the clothes I have in my drawers and closet are size 12/14 and I am no longer that, I can squeeze myself into them but it isn't a pretty sight... will be damned if im going out and buying more bigger clothes so.. will have to get crack a lackin....
  • Sherean33
    Sherean33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 51 year old business owner, wife and mother to a seven year old boy. I have had plantar fasciitis and heel spurs that have made walking a pain, literally, but I still tried to do that regularly. The past two years I've been in physical therapy for a series of back and neck issues. My activity has been severely restricted and my weight continues to climb as menopause approaches. I felt I'd turned a corner physically a few weeks ago and would be able to start some physical activity when I twisted my ankle and suffered a category 3 sprain (the worst kind, of course). Wheelchair and crutches, now I'm in an air boot. No idea when I'll be able to walk. Can't do stationary bike either.

That's a long intro to say I feel overwhelmed and like I'll never lose the weight. I've discussed weight loss surgery with my doctor and am considering it. From what I've read, diets really only succeed for a while, then you gain the weight back and more. That's been my experience, too.

But surgery freaks me out.

I have 80-90 pounds to lose. Would love your thoughts on:

1. Surgery, good, bad, whatever
    2. Dieting when exercise is limited
    3. Keeping the weight off
    4. Dealing with hunger

The last really bugs the *kitten* out of me. I remember when I was normal weight. I wasn't hungry all the time. I could eat half a meal and feel full. Not now. I'm always hungry. Drivers me bonkers. Any tips to deal with that? Today, I set a timer for 20 minutes after I ate breakfast and told myself I'd eat more If I was hungry when the timer went off. I WAS still hungry, but not as much, so I didn't eat more. But that is not a sustainable strategy and I know it.

Appreciate all your feedback!

Thanks.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ... You and the gallery look wonderful! Have you regained your ability to throw pots?

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:
    job - 1hr.43min.30sec, 132ahr, 163mhr, 10.21ap/min mi, 1st 1/2mi walking 3.5sp, next 1.5mi 5.2-5.5sp, next 6mi 6.2-7.5sp, next 1.5mi 5.5sp, last .5mi 5.2sp, 10mi
    total cal 934
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fish oil recommendations. :) We got her a product from Sam's Club. Will see how that goes and told her to take 2 in morning and 2 at night. I read that if you put them in the freezer you might not get the fish burps. Chiropractor wants her on them for inflammation. No gummies for sure as I told her to get rid of her gummie vits already. If the first ingredient is sugar then stay away! She takes several other medications for her ADD, OCD and Sensory Disorder so adding more pills isn't something new to her routine. I may start taking them too for my arthritis pain.

Cheri
    Sunny NE oHiO
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sherean! For every story of someone who has lost weight and gained it back, there's another of someone who has successfully maintained their loss. Several women in this thread are successfully maintaining weight loss. The same for weight loss surgery. We have several women who have had successful surgery and some who are struggling with not gaining it back. I say all this because you should find the right plan for you. Don't let the fear of gaining the weight back be your criteria. You need to find a plan you can live with for life.

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Sherean33 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 51 year old business owner, wife and mother to a seven year old boy. I have had plantar fasciitis and heel spurs that have made walking a pain, literally, but I still tried to do that regularly. The past two years I've been in physical therapy for a series of back and neck issues. My activity has been severely restricted and my weight continues to climb as menopause approaches. I felt I'd turned a corner physically a few weeks ago and would be able to start some physical activity when I twisted my ankle and suffered a category 3 sprain (the worst kind, of course). Wheelchair and crutches, now I'm in an air boot. No idea when I'll be able to walk. Can't do stationary bike either.

That's a long intro to say I feel overwhelmed and like I'll never lose the weight. I've discussed weight loss surgery with my doctor and am considering it. From what I've read, diets really only succeed for a while, then you gain the weight back and more. That's been my experience, too.

But surgery freaks me out.

I have 80-90 pounds to lose. Would love your thoughts on:

1. Surgery, good, bad, whatever
    2. Dieting when exercise is limited
    3. Keeping the weight off
    4. Dealing with hunger

The last really bugs the *kitten* out of me. I remember when I was normal weight. I wasn't hungry all the time. I could eat half a meal and feel full. Not now. I'm always hungry. Drivers me bonkers. Any tips to deal with that? Today, I set a timer for 20 minutes after I ate breakfast and told myself I'd eat more If I was hungry when the timer went off. I WAS still hungry, but not as much, so I didn't eat more. But that is not a sustainable strategy and I know it.

Appreciate all your feedback!

Thanks.

Welcome Sherean33! My thoughts on fighting the feeling of being hungry has a lot to do with the foods I eat and keep in the house. If I eat processed foods, sugary food or lots of carbs, I definitely feel hungry again and can't seem to stop myself from raiding the cupboards esp. at night. What has really worked for me is to make sure I eat protein with every meal, a small handful of nuts or cheese or 0% yogurt and this keeps me more stable and can handle the urge to overeat. Also, I eat a big apple before any kind of meal, it seems to fill me up. I look back at my food log to see what might be triggering my hunger as well.

Good luck, keep logging and checking in, it is a slow journey but well worth it, especially when you start feeling better. Karen from NY