WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So I bit tipsy from 5 little samples of wine from the Wine & Crab Festival.... I came home and crashed.....I'm such a light-weight. Had my half of a crab, and a strawberry shortcake. I am full, happy, and glad my husband came with me to wander with. I bought some "firecracker" hot fudge made with habenaro peppers. I will be sending it to my middle son, because he is a spicey food lover. Once he made nachos for himself and his wife, and practically killed her...well not really but she said she felt like dying...from all the hot stuff he put in. They are both so young, and learning how to cook etc, its cute. He has asked for recipes for the stuff he liked growing up, so that is nice to see. I see building a recipe book in my future...

Well, couch calling me....((hugs)) all.
    Tipsy Becca in
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    skuehn, I don't know even if they would consider putting him on a low dose of Prednisone to be a long term dose. There are so many side effects for that, brittle bones is one of the biggest. With him having Parkinson's and a high risk for fall, I would hate for him to break a hip because of being on long term Prednisone. He is also frequently quite dizzy when he gets up due to his heart medicine.

Becca, you are thoroughly messing with my mind with your dream inserts. I guess it's because the dreams are so dark and the regular chapter you expect to see Fabian coming around the corner they are so different. But it's your book and I love the creativity.

Michele, I don't know if you have any of the roadside stands there like we have or not but we have these places that sell these plaster like statues of a wide variety. I have seen light houses. They are meant to be garden decorations. Of course I have no idea how they would accept paint or staining. They would probably accept regular priming and paint but stains and such I am not sure of. I hope you get something like the Travelocity gnome to put by your pool. He is a classic! Sure is to bad Bryan's wife isn't doing this with him so you all can get to know each other better.

Charlie went to Sam's club to pick up our refills for the week today. One of them was his Xarelto for his heart. He has been on this for over a year. But the pharmacy said that his insurance rejected covering it. So it looks like I have a call to make to the insurance company Monday. I just hate stuff like that. Charlie has always disliked what I do to stock pile medicine. Insurance will let us refill at 3 weeks instead of the 4 except for narcotics. If there is ever some terrible disaster and we are unable to have access to internet, phone, etc, I want us to have a month supply of all our medicine. So I refill all our meds early and keep on combining the extra medicine until I have a full month worth. I keep all of these in an big empty kitty litter container. I know it isn't completely waterproof but it is quite sturdy. After I have a full month in my extra box, when I order a new month, I put it in the box and take the old one out. I also have Tylenol, Aleve and Advil in there along with our vitamins. I want to keep us healthy during a disaster! So now Charlie is using my stockpiled Xarelto and glad I have it. But now I have to work and get a months worth for him.

My cat has been an outcast today!!!! She has stayed on the window seat in my office all day. I can understand being there during the daylight hours but why the evening???? I am proud that she has been playing with the toys Christina bought me for Christmas and she has been acting spunkier. I guess animals have their off days also. She did have pancreatitis when she was about a year old but she isn't showing any signs of it.

Joyce, Indiana

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I've been to three acupuncture sessions. It is a very pleasant and relaxing process and I've enjoyed being there but I've seen no change in the numbness and tingling and nerve pain in my legs. I agreed (thanks to the wise counsel of others) to try six sessions and I want very much for it to work. I know that I am much better off than many people I know. I take my dogs for long walks, dance three days a week and do a weight training session three times a week, but standing is painful and I can't do it for long and I have a fair amount of pain that can be moderated with ibuprofen but I don't want to take too much.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    13,000 steps
    150 minutes of dog walking
    seated weight training with 5, 10, and 15 pound weights

<3 Barbie from drizzly NW Washington

You work your body very hard on a regular basis. I wonder if part of what you're experiencing could be over use injury. Have any of your doctors suggested a period of rest as a possible strategy?
  • Annr
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana~ Oooh keeping you off guard... I shall take that as a compliment! :-)

And to the friend that said if I put it all down on here, then no one will wish to buy the book, well to be honest, its just therapy, not anything I would publish. I wrestle with the idea of inserting "the mystery mans" side of the story, (which I haven't written yet), but anyone that wishes a copy of all my "installments" thus far, just holler and I will put it in a message to you privately.

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well we left Becca dealing with her dreams...and now its the next day....

CHAPTER TWO

Sitting on a stool at Arnie's Diner made me feel like I was eating breakfast at my mother's home. Ayla, the front desk gal had pointed me toward this small, eclectic restaurant on the outskirts of Bay Point, Oregon. Everyone seems to know one another, and I seem to be the only one with a menu in my hand. I order simply; orange juice, coffee and a cinnamon roll. What comes makes me choke on my coffee. The roll takes up most of the plate, with extra frosting in a little metal container off to the side. I sip my coffee and fall into a cinnamon-sugared semi-coma of my own glorious makings. I ask for a container for the rest of the roll. I shall not leave that on my plate. "You come home with me" I whisper to my gooey heaven. The fisherman to my left at the counter smiles and says, " Sorry, married", and shows me his ring. I blush to my toes, and slink out after paying the bill.

I go back to the hotel, stash my cinnamon roll in the mini frig in the corner, grab my sweat shirt and proceed out to explore. I vibration comes from my purse, and I open my cell phone. A call from my frantic mom that has gone to voice mail. As I listen, I can hear in my mom's voice that she is worried about me. I send back a text saying simply: up in oregon/ no worries/ will chat later/ love Becca.

In the lobby, I sip lemon water that is in a big glass container, and look over pamphlets about the area. I spy a couple from various realty offices. I get a strange feeling. Not from the cinnamon roll, but from traveling continuously for a couple of months now. Thoughts of settling down, and just relaxing wash over me. Looking at my watch, it's still early, but I get an appointment from Star Realty. Maybe I will just look and see what happens, I convince myself.

The realtor's office is in the heart of Bay Point on Main Street. Julie the realtor is a bundle of energy. She must have had coffee and her vitamin this morning. Her dress is casual, which is really the mode of dress in this whole sweet little town. No need to dress to impress. I look at the listings of all the rentals in the area but none catch my eye. On a bulletin board I see homes for sale. Taking the mug of coffee Julie insisted on me trying, I amble over for just look see. All seem way over my price range, like I HAVE any price range, but one stands out.

'One great room, Japanese-style home. Large simple kitchen, heated floors. Needs a person with simple means. Close to ocean, one bath, side garden. Move-in ready. Price negociable, see Julie for details.'

Needs a person with simple means? Well, that describes me to a "T", I muse. During the next hour I talk to Julie about the house. Julie tells me it was built by a Japanese carpenter/artist that had passed through the area about ten years ago. Mostly owned by people for a summer home, it had just come on the market. I am excited to see this place!

We take her car, and travel on Hwy 101 east, towards the outskirts of town. I notice driveways hidden here and there. The road winding back and forth on itself, between cliff outcroppings. Slowly we wind back down to sea level and Julie whispers, "almost there". We take a quick right down a private driveway. Dense growth makes the road longer than it really is. My eyes search for the house and before I ask Julie where it is, we are upon it.

The house sits squarely, anchored in the ground by beams framing it into its surroundings. "Well aren't you a pretty thing", I think to myself, but say it aloud. Julie stops the car, smiling. "It is, isn't it", she replies. She beams at me. Everywhere I look is this man's craftmanship. "What was his name?" I ask. "It was Haru", she says, pointing to the first step of four leading to the door.

陽 "sun, sunlight", 春 "spring".

"The kanji of his name Haru, is carved into the smooth cement step", whispers Julie. A masterpiece. In the cement are also shells and bits of Japanese pottery. I am speechless. The door is a lacquered black door. One large handle is in the center. In the handle is an old lock, making this home seem older than it is. Julie fishes a large key out of her pocket. I'm breathless with excitement as she turns the key, and the lock makes a distinct click as the old tumblers align. We both push the door open.

Saying I am blown away is an understatement. We both take off our shoes by the door, and don slippers from a wooden basket that is piled high with them. The room is definitely a great room, like the listing stated. I would say an awesome room. Four tree trunks rise from the brushed concrete floor. Their bark has been removed, and the wood carefully sanded. Haru spliced wood into the beams like branches here and there. Natures hooks. I am in love with this home already.

She leaves me alone in the great space. Why am I so drawn to this house? I have never been so taken by anything before. I had made a promise, no a vow, to myself, to never let a place rule me. It soon makes you a prisoner. But, everywhere I look is little masterpieces. His love for his craft is evident is all my eyes take in.

I peek behind a shoji door. The rice paper partition has delicate little green leaves and pink flowers embossed in it. How sweet! On the other side, I find out, is the bath. Simple, utilitarian, and functional. The room is tiled completely in small lavender square tiles. A small tank- less water heater is mounted on the wall, which supplies the hot water for the ofura, a Japanese soaking tub, Julie explains. A large hefty ceramic bowl serves as a stunning sink. It sits proudly on a sturdy base, and my hands can't help but touch it. Julie tells me the best part is the outside shower, and she opens a sliding frosted glass door to reveal it. What I see leaves me breathless. The lattice work is stunning, and I laugh when I look down at the tiles. Shells, and frosted colored glass, smooth and sparkling shining in the sun. It's then that I notice the familiar rose tucked in the latticework. Julie steers me toward a stool and I breathe.

I pick up the familiar envelope. It is tied to the rose, and I pull it off, clutching it to my chest. I mouth the word Dimitri. What is happening? My mind is a blur as I open the envelope. Reading it with shaking hands, is says simply.

"This is so you, my Rebekah"
    D.S.

How does he presume to know me? Hell, I don't even know me! Ah, but I do love this house. I loved it before I even received this note. How can I love something that doesn't have feelings, a heartbeat or a backbone?

Then I remember Leroy. It had been exactly like that. I gave, and gave, but what did I get back? Bills, less space and heartache. Funny how I ended up feeling so empty after living with a hoarder. How is that even possible? I think I shall never be full again and then my eyes take in this house. Oh yes, I can be quite comfortable here, and go and join Julie in front. Before I go, I put the envelope and rose, from creepy guy that is growing on me, in my bag.

Alrighty, can you see this house in your minds eye? Tell me anything that seems confusingly written. I dreamed about this house once, and so its like crystal clear to me. I guess anything that isn't mentioned, I can put in as Becca lives there. :-)

Becca
    mentally wandering
    in Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    went to dinner last night, came home and had a real rocky stomach.. went to bed and finally fell asleep and feel a bit better this morning..
    Becca~ I love your story so far...love the sound of the house....
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore – Well, guess we know ‘which’ word(s) they censored. Or maybe we can ‘guess’. LOL! >:)

Michele in NC – I don’t remember our azalea bushes losing ALL their leaves; just know they do get scraggly looking. Suggest they be cut back drastically as soon as they stop blooming. We have 2 bushes in our yard; but, don’t know the name (seems like it starts with a “S” and is a long name). It have beautiful pink star-shaped flowers on it and is green in the Spring and Summer; leaves turn a beautiful rusty/red/burgundy color in Fall and Winter – keeps its leaves all year long; again needs to be ‘cut back’ as soon as the blooms fall. Don’t know if flowers are on new growth or old; but, makes a beautiful statement. Some use it as a 'hedge' or 'foundation' plant. We have a Japanese Magnolia at corner of house; like dogwood and redbuds, they put out flowers before they drop and the leaves come out. Some of the ‘evergreen’ bushes used as a hedge or border that stay green includes ‘holly bushes’ … which is one I would never suggest; because their roots seem to go on forever in a mass of tangled mess; and when you decide to tear them out like we did … had to dig up roots from Hell. Boxwoods make a better hedge and the leaves do not fall off unless they are diseased; and you can cut out that section; but, again, would suggest cutting it back drastically before Spring when it would put out new growth. Would suggest cutting it back drastically before it gets too big. We had moved into a house, built in late ‘70’s, early ‘80’s’ and these were the bushes that builders put out as landscaping. The house we bought had bushes that had obviously never been cut back; so we did so. Looked pretty pitiful until the next Spring; but, at that point, I did not care if they lived or died.

This year, at our present house of 15+ years, was the first time our azaleas looked good and had a lot of blooms on them. Probably first year that DH actually admitted that he had decided to fertilized them. They like filtered light and do well under pine trees (or if you don’t have any) mulch with pine needles. We live in Zone 8.

I can barely wait until DOS gets the pool ‘right’. He had it ‘right’ a few weeks ago; but, still too early to get in. This week we are supposed to have 80+ degree weather, so I hope he will work on it today. It was hot enough yesterday to have gotten in it (although cold when you first got in); but, it wasn’t ready. I love walking in the pool; so much easier than just walking, period; and, the resistance is great. I'm going to start hula-hooping as well.

Joyce – The last time I got my ‘lower’ dosage of Lamictal; I was not allowed to do so until the Tuesday I ran out and needed the new ‘script’ that day. I’m going to ask pharmacist, next time, if I can buy 5 or 7 and pay for it out of pocket so I won’t run out before I need them. They took it right up to the ‘day’; don’t do it with the larger dosage (I can fill it the last week it is due). Other meds get filled whenever they are due (only one I have to be at the pharmacy to fill/refill is one that is considered a ‘control drug’. Starts with the number 44 ….

BECCA – Please tell me what page (or date) you started with you postings of your book. I want to go back and start reading and catch up to date (if that is a possibility). Don’t want to be perpetually lost by starting on a 2nd chapter; but, if that is what I have to do (and hopefully be able to ‘get the gist’ so far, I will).

Lenora
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC. Shrubs that stay green all year are almost all conifers. They do not have flowers. An exception is the boxwood, but its flowers are hardly visible. You will have to decide which is more important for you, flowers or green all year. Or you could have two rows of shrubs. Or alternate shrubs. If you have two rows, you will have to consider the overall height of each to decide which row goes in front. Boxwoods are VERY slow growing, so that might be your best choice. A row of small boxwood in front of azaleas. They can also be pruned to stay small. Some conifers don't prune well, but yews do. They have a very soft needle, with the small red fruit that has a hole in one end.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Back from the writer's retreat last night, so exhausted - Have driven 2,000 miles in the last two weeks, and need a few moments to breathe! Slept 7 hours last night, and a few more of those nights should heal me right up. Most of the writers from the Alpine/Fort Davis group were truly outstanding, and we got some great feedback on our own stuff as well. It was really inspiring, both for our conference that we hope to hold later in the year, and just to hear other voices reading.

Also lost the pound that is my only weight goal for April--to be lighter at the end than at the beginning--and hope to keep it off for one more week for my April 30 weigh-in. Yesterday, I also celebrated one year on MFP, and with y'all--very pleased with that. I'm 28 pounds lighter than I was last year, and am celebrating that, as well.

The four of us who went over gabbed non-stop there and back, as well as sitting and having a glass of wine and talking for four hours after we got to the motel. I finally put into words something I've been thinking about a lot of late--for me, last year and this one have been my "Years of Yes." Shonda Rhimes put out a book titled "Year of Yes," and while I found the book to be a litany of first-world problems, the concept truly got me thinking. I have a tendency to say "No." And "I can only..." and "I don't..." As in, "I can only exercise in the morning," and "I don't run," and "I can only drive for a couple hours," and "I can only do one thing at a time well," and on and on. The list is endless, honestly. I've shed quite a few of those since last year, including publishing the two books that are up on Amazon, and driving for hours, safely and successfully, among many, many others. I think we tend to see in black and white, at least I do, and we embrace our negatives and hold them to us as part of ourselves.

I'm trying not to do that anymore.

And on the weight side, either Katla or Barbie said it already, but the key for me is to create sustainable habits. Making a habit of choosing the right things--air-popped popcorn as a snack instead of chips, grilled instead of fried, smaller satisfying amounts of good food, instead of larger amounts of high-calorie, high-fat and high-sugar items are things I can sustain. And being here on MFP, and with this group, helps me keep those things in mind. All of these things, I can do for the rest of my life. It always worries me when I see some of us on super-low-calorie, or fasts, or other things that work for now, but that we simply cannot sustain for the rest of our lives. I'm trying to look at all the choices I make regarding food and my weight that I cannot envision doing for years to come, removing those and replacing them with things I can keep doing.

May you all have a happy and peaceful Sunday.

Regards,
    Lisa
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca - I found the start of the story; printed it out. Will read it and then I'll follow it.

Lenora
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Had a busy day yesterday with about two hours of yard work (bagging dead fall, bundling and burning limbs/branches, pruned the roses, and started compost bucket and saving egg shells and pine needles ( thanks for the tip Miriam). I went for a walk in a nearby park. This is not a manicured city park, but a country, woodsy, marshy park. I walked to enjoy, but mostly was on a mission to scout out some morels. I found about three pounds! I am so happy, that if I were a puppy there would be puddles on the floor! I am going back out now, to see if I can find a few more. I grew up on these mushrooms, and haven't had them since my parents passed away. My grandmother owned 160 acres in northern Michigan and we mushroom hunted, berry picked, fished, deer hunted, etc. on that property. When my grandmother passed away, she left it to her surviving children. My father passed before her, so my sibs and I inherited no property. :( I don't think she did it to be mean, I think she just didn't think past her own children inheriting. Anyway, I am so excited to be able to fix some morels! I even saved some bacon grease to cook them in (just like grandma's). Not healthy, but for one or two meals, and the memories the taste will conjure, I will take the extra calories! Hiking boots on! Jeans on! Sweatshirt on! Tick repellent on! I am outta here!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Michele: There are deciduous azaleas, but there are also evergreen azaleas. There are quite a few evergreen azaleas in our neighborhood. and they put on quite a show in the spring. After they bloom, they need to be tended because the spent blooms are not attractive, in my opinion. :flowerforyou: We also have Star Jasmine that blooms in the summer. The flowers are small and white, and have a wonderful fragrance. I think another name for this is Jessamine. We use it as a ground cover at the corner of our deck but it does not lie flat on the ground. I don't know whether it is considered a vine or not. Ours can poke up a foot or so. :ohwell: I first saw these at the Portland Chinese Garden. They use them as a ground cover between the sidewalk and the curb. Theirs also stick up a bit.

We have long time friends visiting. They arrived yesterday afternoon and we went out for dinner. We'll serve breakfast this morning. I don't know whether they'll stay a day or leave after breakfast. They spent the winter living in their RV and visiting family members in Texas. Their home is on an island in Washington. They've become wandering snowbirds. This is their second year at it, and they seem very happy with their new lifestyle.:smile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    back again, went down to feed DFIL , he did well and we brought Homer with us, everyone alway's enjoys him..Tom is busying himself every day he is off so he doesn't have to spend time actually hanging out with me. nice day today outside so he is washing the cars, I will be sweeping and washing the floors. and making a nice roast chicken for dinner, think Tom will be going to visit his buddy Tony in Southington this afternoon.. just told him give me a time frame to have dinner ready..
    he will be gone in 3 days so I will do what I want to do after he goes...
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sitting here in the Florida room early this morning I watched a great big blue heron land in the yard next door. I think he was looking for breakfast, pobably a frog. We have a loud frog symphony every evening. A little later a lone cardinal landed on the patio steps, just four feet from me. He didn't stay long. Ahh, what could be better, Sunday morning coffee and enjoying the local wildlife. Not otters in the river, like at Katla's house, that I would dearly love to watch, but I'll take it. :)

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

You work your body very hard on a regular basis. I wonder if part of what you're experiencing could be over use injury. Have any of your doctors suggested a period of rest as a possible strategy?

:) My primary care doctor suggested a week of no exercise and that made no difference at all. The neurologist said I should continue to exercise as much as I felt I could do. I had hoped that taking it easy would make a difference but it didn't.

<3 Barbie

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always seem to struggle with the type of exercise I should do. All the suggestions I've read are all over the place. I know the general idea is to do what you like. And also strength training is important. Cardio is important. Flexibility is important. HA! But I like a lot of things and only allocate 30 minutes a day to exercise (because that's what I can fit in on work days, and if I can do more, wonderful, but I can commit to 30 min). Lately I've been doing yoga, previously weights, before that a mix of cardio and weights, sometimes walking, now and then swimming.

I'm curious as to what others take on this is. I'm ready to pick my next installment of 30 minutes of something.

On another note, the Boston Globe had a delicious article on Tangines today. I've never tried that so I think today I will be adventurous. Here's the link for those who are interested. They are all vegetarian.
    https://bostonglobe.com/magazine/2016/04/22/recipes-taste-north-africa-with-spring-vegetable-tagines/ugp7gEeACkYdFRRIQmbBvM/story.html

Off to spread mulch ( there are two things I hate doing...stacking wood and spreading mulch, but it has to be done!)

Kimses in MA
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Got my yard work done this morning was hoping it would make me feel good getting it done but just feel kind of blah. Hurt my shoulder starting my new gas weed wacker. So going to wait till tomorrow to go to gym. Hopefully it will feel better tomorrow. Worked out pretty hard yesterday and feeling that too. Lol. Hell getting old. Have a bridal shower to go to then a cookout today.

For all those that are garden/plant people. If I take out some bushes is there anyway besides grinding the stumps to get rid of them. I have seen several products advertised that you just drill holes in them then pour stuff in the holes and they eventually just rot away. Just wondering my best plan of action.

Anne in Wisconsin