Women over 40 who want to lose weight, support and motivate each other.

Options

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to swim? Low impact can do wonders to you but pf course weight loss will take longer. My bet is to keep eating as healthy as possible for you not to gain. I am no expert. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
  • AnasNina
    AnasNina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to swim? Low impact can do wonders to you but pf course weight loss will take longer. My bet is to keep eating as healthy as possible for you not to gain. I am no expert. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Swimming would be a great idea if I wasn't so scared of water. I don't know what brought it on, but even the bathtub can cause an anxiety attack.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    AnasNina wrote: »

Swimming would be a great idea if I wasn't so scared of water. I don't know what brought it on, but even the bathtub can cause an anxiety attack.

So sorry to hear that. Swimming can do wonders to your body and keeps you healthy and fit. Anxieties are terrible. I had to go to counseling to get help.
  • dmcatlady
    dmcatlady Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Heading out to dinner tonight with friends...Italian food....so not good for watching my carbs! I've already scanned the menu and made a few possible selections and did a quick calorie check on them to see what range they will be for me. This is my new life...but I can't let food deter me from my goals. Two days of fasting, but I can do a little carb intake tonight since I'll most likely be hitting the tennis courts tomorrow afternoon and twice on Sunday!
  • dmcatlady
    Options
    Heading out to dinner tonight with friends...Italian food....so not good for watching my carbs! I've already scanned the menu and made a few possible selections and did a quick calorie check on them to see what range they will be for me. This is my new life...but I can't let food deter me from my goals. Two days of fasting, but I can do a little carb intake tonight since I'll most likely be hitting the tennis courts tomorrow afternoon and twice on Sunday!
  • dmcatlady
    Options
  • calichiro
    calichiro Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @AnasNina: I also have Hashimoto's. I'm also a chiropractor who does a lot of nutritional work. Most autoimmune diseases (which is what Hashimoto's is) are caused by (and made worse by) food intolerances and poor gut health.

I'm going to give you some references for you to start learning about this.

Over the last year or so I've slowly and steadily gained weight. In January I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Once I realized my autoimmune condition was active again (I'd been in remission for a long time) I went ahead and got a complete food intolerance panel done (through Cyrex labs). I have severe intolerances to dairy, gluten, oats, and rice. I also had my vitamin D checked (low), and a complete thyroid panel done (poor conversion of T4 to T3 but everything else was normal).

I removed all the offending foods the first week of February. I also made sure to get plenty of vitamin D (sun or supplement) and I got serious about getting enough sleep. I went on a high dose dairy free probiotic, too. I didn't start losing weight until April.

I encourage you to start reading what you can about Hashimoto's and how it relates to the food you eat. It CAN be managed, and put into remission. I have friends who have successfully done so! Here are links to start your journey:

http://chriskresser.com/basics-of-immune-balancing-for-hashimotos/

http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-skeptic-podcast-episode-4/

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-blog/success-story-treating-hashimotos-with-the-autoimmune-protocol/

Please know there IS something you can do about it!
  • HeathlyMOM76
    HeathlyMOM76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    turn 40 in Jan, and just started MFP looking for friends for support. Have around 80lbs to lose.
  • HeathlyMOM76
    HeathlyMOM76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    turn 40 in Jan, and just started MFP looking for friends for support. Have around 80lbs to lose.
  • srcats88
    srcats88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 46 and I'm up and down. I can't seem to get past a certain weight, I give up and gain back most of what I've lost. I just caught myself 7 lbs from my highest weight. It's getting demoralizing. I have a thyroid issue but it is well managed so I don't have any excuses. I just need some motivation. :( Feel free to add me. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.
  • imdawoman
    imdawoman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    adkspep wrote: »
    Old lady here (48) and so much to lose (100+) and I am just getting re-started. No friends here yet. Looking for support to help me stay motivated!

Me too. 48 and about 100 lbs to lose. I sent you a message.
  • AnasNina
    Options

So sorry to hear that. Swimming can do wonders to your body and keeps you healthy and fit. Anxieties are terrible. I had to go to counseling to get help.

I can finally walk out of my front door and I'm off all meds for anxiety, so baby steps.
  • HoolaHoopsMcGee
    HoolaHoopsMcGee Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    srcats88 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 46 and I'm up and down. I can't seem to get past a certain weight, I give up and gain back most of what I've lost. I just caught myself 7 lbs from my highest weight. It's getting demoralizing. I have a thyroid issue but it is well managed so I don't have any excuses. I just need some motivation. :( Feel free to add me. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.

I lose momentum and regain too, and I know that demoralized feeling well! I want feeling good to be more of a motivator to me than being sick of feeling bad. But right now, that is actually working. I hate how bad I've been feeling so I'm pretty motivated atm. Anyway, I relate! :#
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    dmcatlady wrote: »

Yes!! You are doimg awesome!! Enjoy!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options

I can finally walk out of my front door and I'm off all meds for anxiety, so baby steps.

Member @calichiro wrote you a message with some suggestions. Send her a message or scroll up to see the post.
  • AnasNina
    Options
    @calichiro apparently my reply didn't post last night, but I appreciate the information! I've been in remission once, it was heaven, but haven't been able to get back there. I keep hoping and going and trying :)
  • Ming777
    Ming777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • kinom1
    kinom1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I need to lose about 60 pounds. I am not really good at using the app yet but I need a lot of motivation and support.
  • KammyJoW5
    KammyJoW5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I will be turning 47 this year. Just starting this adventure (again) and trying to loose 75 pounds. It's probably the hardest thing I have ever done....weight loss. I have been successful in the past but it was short term stuff. Nothing long lasting. Hope to find others for a great support group here on MFP.
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    New here.
    45 y/o, down 25 pounds, 13 to go.
    I'm a runner which I love, but I need to conquer a few things to get these last 13 off:
    1. Binge eating (I hate even typing that but it's true) sweets and chips. 1 day every week or two I eat garbage instead of food. Yucky and keeps me stuck.
    2. Not logging on MFP
    3. Slacking on weight lifting- haven't since last September

Best of luck to everyone. We can do it - we're worth it! I already feel a million times better just having the 25# off.