WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was in a seminar on meditation, and fell asleep and REALLY snored.

I :heart: this so hard. :love:
    Pip, I don't talk about it very often, but before I realized I had celiac disease and could not tolerate ANY gluten, I had gotten to the point that I often did not make it to the bathroom in time with my explosive diarrhea. I had to keep an extra set of clothing and wipes in my car for when that happened. Sometimes I would have to just pull over and use a bush or a ditch. It was awful. So Kirby has my empathy. I am glad that his is getting better. Often in accidents the spinal chord is just bruised and not permanently damaged, so hopefully he continues to improve.

Wow, I didn't have explosiveness, but I did have significant GI difficulties, and by the time I found out I had celiac, I had been misdiagnosed with several forms of autoimmune arthritis, and was anemic, along with several vitamin deficiencies. It's rough stuff!

And yes, regarding spinal chord bruising. I used to have painful tingling and spasms through the whole left side of my body, and now it's down to the front of my left shin still tingles weirdly when touched, although I can feel the touch as well, through the tingle.
    Prayers for Kirby's recovery!

<3
    Larisa
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday all-
    Thank you to those who commented on the picture of my children. Raising 6 kids has been both exciting and terrifying, often at the same time. But one of my older ones commented to one of the younger ones that even though they have different fathers they are lucky because there is no difference in how they are all treated.
    Apparently in the older ones dad's house they very clearly call them half-siblings. In our house we do not because, how can you love someone half-way? In our house they are brothers and sisters. End of story. All are treated like his own by my husband and many people we know think that he is the father to them all because he takes care of them all the same. It made my heart happy to hear my son tell his little sister that they are lucky to have us as a family. I think that is why the picture of all 6 together for the first time in about 8 years is so special to me.

Anywho... I did give in to the temptation to snack last night but only had some sherbert and stayed within my calorie intake. It was a better choice than the pint of Ben & Jerrys pistachio in the garage freezer so a win for me.

So sorry to read about some of the issues that have been hitting so many of you all in the last few weeks.
    Health issues are difficult but family issues are worse I think. Probably because with many health issues medicine of some type can help... with family issues I wish there was a pill to make it better.

Time to take care of coordinating the team picnic for our lacrosse players that is this weekend at our house- have only had about 12 of 45 players respond and I really need a headcount as families are included in this event. I have to get the team photos made for each of the players too... and then find inexpensive frames for them... a trip to dollar tree tomorrow it looks like!

Have a great day... from every rainy and cold and there will be no summer, ever- Maryland

~d
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    :)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC, you've suffered enough with these goobers. Their religion completely aside, they're past mean and on to bullies. I'd talk to one of your lawyer friends, and simply hand the pastor his phone number. Let him know this is who he can call regarding being on the wrong end of a wrongful termination lawsuit, and that should get them to cool their jets pretty quick. I'd also mention that, as someone in a protected class, it makes it so much easier for you to win. Hard to win in TX, but not impossible.

And look for another job. Ask your good pastor for possible candidates.

Some people simply are too toxic to hang around, hands down.
    Lisa
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So much going on...good thoughts to all who are dealing with mighty issues.

I too have a friend who has had an iliostomy bag for years due to cancer diagnosis...she is doing well. As an artist she did a series dealing with all that goes along with this life altering surgery. It has hung in a number of hospitals as well as juried shows.

Kim this is a family fav: brown pork chops in a small amount of olive oil, add sliced onions & apples, a splash of apple cider although not really necessary, cover with foil, pop in a 350 oven for an hour. You can remove chops and reduce the liquid if you like. Good with most any vegetable and I always threw in a few russets for my 3 growing sons who never seemed to get full in those teen years.

GLo on the North Shore of Ma.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wish to chime in with ((((hugs)))) to the ones that are dealing with issues involving incontinence. It's a reality that happens with age, with disease, some getting better, some just coming to terms with it all. It's part of a reality you don't really want to ever face. I have seen a glimpse of what its like, and its pretty darn scary. Nothing like getting a call at my TOPS meeting from my husband crying on the phone, because he had an accident, and he is panicked. Silently I made my exit from the meeting, racing home to find him standing in the middle of the living room, tracks here and there. I remember just taking a deep breathe, using a voice respectful, and saying, "No worries, lets just walk carefully to the shower shall we?"

I suppose we just do the best we can. It's truly a test of a marriage, to endure, but most of us just get it done, and deal with it. I will say, in some regards, we are the strong ones. The caretakers of the world. My husband has confessed that if I was sick or injured he wouldn't fair so well. I tell him I am mentally chalking up every good and caring thing I have done, and when I get sick or injured its PAYBACK buster! Tit for Tat I Tells Ya!

Ohhh lunch was divine! Steamed some tilapia over some water that I added chicken boullion paste to. Then I boiled some Artisan portobella smoked handmade pasta (from the Crab and Wine Festival). I took the fish fillets out and added some green cabbage to the chicken stock. After that cooked down I stirred in the pasta, added the fish and shredded it somewhat. Then for the final touch I added two Wee Brie triangles and stirred them in. I had a rich, fish soup that was awesome!!!!

(((((((hugs))))) to all of you!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ The soup sounds awesome.

Janet ~ Thanks for the funny.

Carol NC ~ I can't imagine working under those conditions. Please look for another job. Does it have to be in a church?

I did OK last night with no wine. The only problem is that the nightly wine has been like a sleeping pill for me so I stayed awake until 2 AM and then tossed and turned. Got some Benedryl today to try.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Aw Peach it really WAS! I have revamped my food diary on here, and have not only the meal listings but 3 snacks too. I need to keep my furnace stoked more frequently so I don't snack when I shouldn't.
    Becca
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »

I did OK last night with no wine. The only problem is that the nightly wine has been like a sleeping pill for me so I stayed awake until 2 AM and then tossed and turned. Got some Benedryl today to try.
    Have you thought to try melatonin. It helped me tremendously this past year when I had so much going on in my life. Non addictive, non drowsy and natural.

Chris in MA

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach - good job, baby steps.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    peach - also try looking at how much caffeine you are having during the day - coffee/tea/soda - as that may need to be adjusted also.

Kim in n. cal
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    So I turned on my back sprinklers (in the grass)- first time this year, and I just wanted to see how much adjustment I'd need to do - I have drip for the plants and I know that has to be adjusted, but out of 9 sprinklers there are 3 heads missing! &%$#&&**(@ my mow and blow guy is a retired neighbor charges me 1/3 of the going rate, but really dude! just tell me you demolished a sprinkler head.... or two ............... or three!!!

shaking my head... kim in N. Cal
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    So crabby and in a pissed-off mood today that just get worse as the day wears on. Know how to fix and don't want to, that's how crabby I feel. Remember when I used to feel like this a lot and hated it because I worried how my mood affected those around me, and don't worry about that anymore today either! ... just in that 'don't give a d ..." mood.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Nikion - breathe!! it might be worth fixing it... as it is a beautiful late spring day in CA
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Nikion - breathe!! it might be worth fixing it... as it is a beautiful late spring day in CA

Nah ... it's not so nice out here in WNY today ... kind of raw outside ... but just wait a little while and it will change.
    Today, I'd much rather wallow in the skitshitty mood that's grown up around me today. If there was a camera that could photograph the aura around me today it would be dark gray and stormy, with a whiff of sulfur in it.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    (((Carol)))

Hope Kirby feels better!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    CJ – No, I did not want to have a seizure; but, at least it was not what caused the accident. We had some sad news around town. A 15-year-old boy in this little town we live about 6 miles from went out to feed the horses and got kicked in the chest. It killed him. He did not go to school with my granddaughter, but, it has certainly affected her. He lived across the street from one of DDnL#1’s friends. Also, DDnL#1’s grandmother is being operated on today to ‘fix’ her leg (below the knee). DDnL#1 was upset because “Grannie” had said she was ‘ready to die’. Mmmmmmm.

Megblair1 – I saw my GP’s PA … just love her … she referred me over to the Diagnostic’s Center to have a CT scan. Said she could not find where they did one after the seizure. I don’t think they did any kind of x-rays after the seizure. I don’t remember being moved out of the cubby I was in. She should have the results today; so I will call tomorrow to see what it showed. I told her that I was not ‘wild’ about the Neurologist who took the place of the one I was going to. Maybe I should check w/Phoebe Americus and see if they have their own there. Not that it would have done me any good, since I was in Albany when I had the seizure. Dilantin level was low; but, the Neurologist I had been going to had been trying to wean me off it; but, I do “OK” at 200mg a day; just did not handle going down to 135mg a day. They gave me 2 Dilantin pills to take that evening at 6:00pm (Thursday). Feeling better. Went to GP’s PA yesterday and she was very nice and understanding. Hopefully, I don’t have to go back into town until Friday when I have my ‘yearly exam’. Then next Tuesday, I go for my weigh-in, then see my GP for another F/U from the wreck. Then Wednesday I get my night guard readjusted.

I've been soooooooooo bad today; supper consisted of 2 individual cups of Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream and 10 Frito Lay scoops. So I went 213 calories over my goal. I ate a good lunch (Subway Sandwich on Flat Bread). I'll do better tomorrow when I am in my own home.

Lenora

Now to get my laptop up and running