• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Beth! :flowerforyou:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Beth! Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry life is overwhelming right now. Just know you are loved and missed. Pop in when you can to say hello. It's perfectly okay to take a break from contributing, as long as you let us know you are still with us.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon all! BETH- So good to see you! I wondered if your absence from us was due to the "busyness" of getting your son graduated and off to college and all the chaos that spring can bring!?
    KetoneKaren- Put my "yes" on that dress! I have to agree with the others that it looks great on you and that pop of color on the petticoat is WONDERFUL!
    Carol/Peach and CJ- My heart is going out to you! So much to handle and emotions to deal with! Lost both my parents when I was 26, every time I hear of some one going through "end of life" details it brings it all back. Prayers for peace for all of you! (both and families)
    Pip- Wonderful letter and so inspiring! I definitely think that Kirby's come back and love/dedication for this race should be recognized for him; but also for inspiring others! You let him know that I salute his determination and courage to keep on!
    Lisa- I have to giggle at your description of your "puckish" sense of humor. My family is/was also like this. We get it from our mom. It brings back many memories of some very twisted jokes. They make my husband cringe. My parents were cremated and their remains were given to my older sister to keep until we could all get together to take them up north to scatter (where my parents wanted to be scattered). Well, it took a few years for every one to get together for this. My sister and I would go back and forth with the "ash" jokes: "Mom and Dad are down in Florida making ashes of themselves" or "Can't take mom and dad to the beach or pool; too hard to apply sunscreen". Anyway, my DH cannot stand me talking about my own funeral/cremation arrangements. So I have written everything down and given copies to each of my kids and put a copy for my DH in my medical "file" here at home.
    One thing we haven't done, my DH and I, is have our own medical desires put down on paper and notarized (if needed). Now the name for that document has gone right out of my head. It's the one that decides how much support/if any is to be provided... Oh well, it will come to me.

Morbid discussion. ONto the next topic

It is my turn to host the family game night with my husbands brothers and their wives. Spending the day making everything spic and span and getting snacks and beverages ready, etc.
    Woke up this morning to Mr. Cranky pants (DH) "I feel terrible. I hab a code. I dode dink we should hab da party here." Are all men big babies when they have colds? I may have to put him out of his misery with a pillow over his head. Then...no sooner does he get these words out of his mouth, does he turn to me and say "I'm going back to bed. Will you come lay down with me?" lol! Sorry pal, too much to do and he couldn't look less appealing to me than he does right now. Then, I see a note from my college boy, written after he got home in the wee hours, on the table; " Mom- I apologize. Mistakes were made tonight and I do believe I have the quickest hammered to hangover in human history." Oh lord. Can't wait to hear this! I didn't see him on the news, so that bodes well...

Gotta get busy! I have a veg and fruit tray and some nuts to help me make better choices tonight. Love and hugs to all! <3
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Good luck with all the overwhelming things, Beth! Do you have a favorite place you can escape for a couple of hours? Letchworth? Antiques hopping? The lake? A garden and a cuppa? A bit cloudy today but warmer in these parts than it has been...sounds like you need a bit of me time! Hugs!
    I am going to try to take some of my own advice...have been focusing too much on things beyond my control...
    Betty
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Kay, I have always heard and believe that the worse thing we can do for our arthritis is to sit. My DH had an uncle with RA that sat down and rarely got back up and ended up immobilized in his last years. It was so sad. So I agree with you to keep on movin’.

Pip, that was so sweet of you to write the letter for Kirby. It really is amazing how well he has done with all the injuries he had. You are both remarkable people and a real inspiration. (later) Wow, nice gift from your sister.

Heather, I agree with you on young children being in money raising competitions. That is a lot of pressure on the kids and their families. smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emoticon.gif

Rosi, congrats for DH getting the job offers. I hope you get to visit us here a bit more often.

CarolNC, I’m so glad things turned out well at church. I just don’t know why it seems to be human nature these days to point fingers and always look for the negative. Sorry to hear about the reflux flair up but hope you are all better now.

Joyce, I’m the same about not going to my home page. When I get a friend request, I tell them that I rarely go there and do all my supporting in this group. I wish Sylvia would check in.

Lisa, great pictures. Thanks for sharing!!

Kimses, I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t tracking your food. I just feel that is so important. Just remember that if you can take a few minutes to plan ahead and record ahead, the battle seems a bit easier. We are all rooting for you. cheerleading-smiley-emoticon.gif

Carey, good to hear from you. Yes it’s been some strange weather up north lately. I just hope the fires will end soon.

Margaret, that is a good point about people not knowing when we have a living will. Unless a loved one is with us when something happens the medical personnel will usually do what they can to keep us alive.

Pip, is today your birthday? If so, birthday-song.gif.

Beth, it is probably more important to come in here when you are in a funk than any other time. We don’t care if you have anything positive to say but we do like to hear from you. Just being around all of us wonderful ladies should be enough to brighten your day, isn’t it???? Do take care and know that we do care. ((((Hugs))))

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m so excited. I just caught up with the posts for the first time in days. I haven’t decided between painting the outside door frame or going to the gym. Oh such decisions! And I’m getting sleepy. Boo hiss. It’s not long until lunch and the painting won’t take long so I think I’ll head there first. After lunch if I do have to take a little nap I can still go to the gym after that. Ok, decision made. Thanks ladies, ya’ll are the best.I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I agree with Heather and DJ about the fundraisers for kids. Most of the money from those type of activities do NOT go to the actual cause, but to advertising, administration, etc. I have always refused to allow my kids to participate. Have a bake sale to support war but fund education!

Beth, it is so good to see you here! I missed you!

Yep, with arthritis, I followed my surgeon's orders and did not exercise but for swimming. And got worse and worse. Could hardly do anything. So I started PT and HE told me to do as much as I can! Keep the muscles strong to support the joints. I am able to do so much more now - enough so that I am dropping sizes without being good about my intake. The park I take care of looks better than it ever has!

Love you all! Such an important part of my life now.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kimses good start, you can do this. Take time for you. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Bethwe are HAPPY to have you with us funky or not. :) we missed you and worried over you. Please know we are here to support you in any way possible, good times and bad. Heaven knows you seem to have more than your fair share to face daily. So good to hear from you.

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Good late morning ladies-
    I have really enjoyed just sitting here listening and watching the birds...went through coupons and have some sort of list together..
    Will go through pictures tonight and tomorrow.
    Got the invitation to cousins wedding.it will be at a place called the lodge in Nashville.looks pretty nice,ceramony is at 4 ,cocktail hour at 5 and reception at 6 don't know how late dad and I will stay as our flight out of Nashville is at 8 the next morning, and with all the TSA stuff lord knows what time we will need to be there
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone...I have been soooooo MIA. No particular reason except that I'm exhausted all the time from my new job and the commute (anywheres from 2 hours a day to 4 hours a day depending on traffic) that I am not focusing on much else. What I really need to do is get back into tracking my food. That is always my biggest challenge. I am trying to find the motivation so will try to pop back in each day just for consistency's sake. I'll start with breakfast.

Kimses in MA

x5lr7qm1hucm.jpg

you are so wise to start with a single step and not try to do it all at once. starting with breakfast and starting with just showing up on this thread will make a huge difference in your life. There is a lot going on in my life and I haven't posted much, but I don't want to lose touch with this thread no matter what.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kimses ~ I don't blame you for being exhausted. When I go to visit my mom it is a 1-1/2 hr drive each way and I am so tired at the end. Mostly because of the heavy traffic.

Lisa ~ Love the photos of the truck art. When I was very little, my grandparents old house was moved into a pasture so they could build the new one. It also became a piece of Southern art. Loved playing in it as a child and going through some of the old trunks that got left inside. Never considered that fact that there were probably snakes and other critters inside.

Heather ~ When you say you are making chili all I can think of is the Southern style from the US.....ground meat, kidney beans, tomatoes, and chili seasoning. I am pretty sure that is not what you are fixing. Could you let us know what yours consist of?

Went to the 6 yr olds last baseball game this AM. They lost and that's the end of the season. I was never interested in baseball until I started going to his games. Learned and lot and had a lot of fun watching. Tonight is the 4 yr old GD's dance recital.

Now to go back and read what I have missed.

Love to all!

Carol

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,350 Member
    Options
    Carol - That is exactly what I'm making. A big six portion pot of chilli. Yummo. One of my favourite things. I'm freezing the rest in two containers. The only difference is I use my own blend of seasoning, but it's the same stuff. I also use (and this is fantastic) a dried chilli from Mexico, which I rehydrate first. I use the large, mild, liquorice or raisin tasting ones. DH bought me several packets to put in my Christmas stocking and they have transformed my chilli. :D

DH has gone upstairs to watch the FA Cup final so I can watch my film. I will take him up his dinner. He does have a beer with him. :D<3

Barbie - What is the lot that you have going on? Is it your or Jake's health? <3

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,699 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stay for the day:
    Jog- 45.37min 9.07ap , 6.4-10.0sp, 168mhr, 5mi= 500c
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Miriam – Also, EMT’s have to ‘make it to your place’. A few years back, I had a seizure; and using GPS, they attempted to get to me by GPS, which meant they tried to make it up the entire length of the dirt road we live on; then, the 2nd one got stuck by coming down from the other end. After waiting 20 minutes, DH and DOS took me to the ER themselves. Shortly after we left, a 3rd ambulance came by coming down the paved road which is a mile from our house. DDnL#1 had called to cancel the request; but, they came anyway. Told DDnL#1 that, by law and their liability, they had to ‘get to me’ the best way possible. She told them that when it was raining or had been raining they needed to come out the way they did the 3rd time. I know next time she will tell them to come up the paved road, they’d save time even ‘if’ it took a couple of minutes to get here.

Beth – Glad you’re back. We all go through periods of being in a ‘funk’; but, that is one of the reasons we are here. To let you vent whenever you need to and hopeful some of our advice will let you know how we have dealt with some of the same problem.

Lenora

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,699 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    DJ your word is not enough. This happened here were a woman was in a nursing home and the husband told EMTs her wishes not to resuscitate. They got in all kinds of trouble for not doing so. They have to see your copy of your wishes someones word is not enough. That is why I made the comment about my dad's living will pinned to his chest. It would have been the only way they would not have intervened. Unfortunately the choice needs to be made before you call the ambulance. (Not an easy call to make.)

Lenora good point about making it easier for them to find you. Having your address in a clear well lit spot. If you do not use a landline make sure 911 has your correct address.

:heart: Margaret
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Beth and Everyone else who is reluctant to post I know that I am benefitting from sharing the burden. It took a long time but I am really glad I did.

Serious stuff first:
    As for final instructions- they are called a variety of things- living wills, advanced medical directive, advanced directives for medical decisions, etc. and to be legal have to be state specific and in line with your own state's laws and regulations.
    The Mayor Clinic web site has information: www.mayoclinic.org/healthy lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/living-wills/art-20046303. Also contact your state Div of Aging or Health or Social Services. Some senior centers also provide information and attorney referrals. Hospitals also can help. For veteran families, the VA can help with information. Also get information about durable power of attorney. Everyone should have these documents and review them whenever a change in your life or that of family members or the friend or legal advisor. I am lucky that my local medical center keeps a copy in my records. We are all lucky that under Obama care, doctors get reimbursed for the time they spend with this.

Now the fun stuff.
    DJ Your emojis are amazing! Only you could find a toilet for Joyce

Pip HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You inspired me to do a really long ride today. I got out my bike, came inside to do a last minute check, then the heavens opened up. Grrrrrrr. :# at least it is not windy...

Lisa and Kelly <3 the laughter. It so helps in situations glad and bad.

Allison I hope you have some relaxation time soon. You deserve it. You are an o:) on earth.

Michele did you plant a garnet fire loropetalum?

Rosi Great news about DH job offers.

Cheryl We have not had a full update lately. How is your DH job hunt going? He has had come close so many times. I know a really great consultant who might be able to help with contacts all over US. He volunteers to help those of us who are looking. Direct Message me.
    Is your DD fully recovered?

Miriam what fun- a Barbie pink scooter. I have always wanted a Vespa ever since I have been in high school. Can you get a good babysitter for a full day and get it registered and insured and then carve out some time for yourself to ride. A pink scooter sounds like a perfect stress reliever. If you have to make an excuse to use it, then consider the gas saved and ease of parking.....

Sylvia We are all beginning to worry about you. Please let us know that you are just so busy with ceramics, the coop and the pups.

Kimses one day at a time.

Canadians and others in drought areas sending rain to you. We are glad to take your sun and heat.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! I have wifi at my friends house o:) We just finished having coffee and I'm waiting for her to pull herself together by brushing her hair and putting on a little lipstick then I will take her with me to Costco - need to stock up!

Feeling super tired most of the time these days, hubby is yelling even more then usual. He is awful at making decisions and usually just waits so long (way too long) that the choice makes itself. That drives me nuts!!!! job offer decision is weighing heavy. The part that has me depressed is that he'll be working from home.... I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's just that he's so inflexible and controlling that I'm scrambling to adjust to him being around every waking hour, while having the kids around all summer :( Ug. I need to establish a routine and stick to it which is so difficult for me. I could stay in bed and sleep for days with the way I feel. Need to find my strength again. This year, oh this year : /

Gotta run, off to Costco. Sending prayers and good wishes to all.

<3 Rosie in So Cal

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am getting tired,but dont want to nap as Faith might get into something...I might take a quick cat nap in the chair out here..
    about end of life decisions,My mom was terminal for about 6 weeks before she passed.. the kidney Dr.s said take her home and make her comfortable.. my dad did, but was still working part time doing odd jobs and didn't want to really adhere to orthodox ways of medicine... well I took FMLA the last 2 weeks of her life and spent many many hrs with her, and I dont ever regret doing that... but my dad did not send away for moms DNR bracelet until the day that she died... and the only saving grace was that I came up and took over.. I brought my kids up to see grandma before she passed and took them home and got them ready for bed, my brother called and told me she had passed ,so I went up to dads, I cried when I first got there and then started to deal with the inepetness of what my dad had not done... with the DNR bracelet I would have only had to call the funeral home, but instead I had to call the fire dept. and I waited 30 minutes before calling, ant told dispatch that this was a death,and went out to meet the fire dept. told the first responders to not do anything heroic as this was planned and that she by that time had been gone 45 minutes, meanwhile the police show up and have to take a statement from my dad and go in and take pictures of my mother... horrifying... none of this would have happened ,if she had that DNR .. so once the circus left and she was pronounced, I went in and cleaned her up and got her ready for the funeral home...
    the guys that were running it at the time were just wonderful... and came and did what they needed to do with such dignity and grace.. and my brother couldnt handle it all, I am sure he was in the other side of the house drinking... but whats done is done... with having my dad to myself for a few days on our trip, I will be asking him questions and will get some of the paperwork,,, to have him sign so I do not have to go through this again...
    Sorry to be so long winded, but please don't ever put the burden on your family to make decisions, if you have your mind and faculty.. do it for yourself....
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    CJ, the scooter has been registered and insured all this time. I just need to clean it up, gas it up, and probably use the battery charger to start it until the battery is recharged. I only drive it around my town, so I wouldn't need a whole day... town of 1800 people. I have to go on highways to get anywhere else, and it only goes 35 miles an hour. The cars, SUVs and huge pickups are going 65, even though the speed limit is 55. And they do NOT think I should be on the road, similar to bikes. They get on my butt and act as if I should pull over on to the shoulder, which would be a wipe out for sure! The semi drivers are usually a bit better but not much.