WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Been several days since I checked in. So much going on. Finally went to the doctor about my shoulder and I did not do any major damage but my muscle is so inflamed it is pressing on some nerves. No gym for at least two more weeks. Have been trying to stay busy but hard to find things that won't make the shoulder worse. The gym has been my go to place to release my anger stress etc. I normally went right after work. Has helped me to try and move forward after my breakup. If you remember we work together so I could leave work go workout then go home in a better place. Now I don't have that so trying not to sink back into a bad place. By the way he still texts me good morning everyday and goodnight everyday. Even if I don't respond. Don't get that. Does not want to be with me but still messages me. Who knows. If any of you ladies understands it please let me know.

Any suggestions for flowering plants that come back every year. No sun in am plenty in afternoon. It is in front of bushes nothing seems to grow there very well. Tried inpatients carnations petunias. I want something to plant once and they come back each year. Any suggestions would be great.

Katla I laugh every time you say the sea lions keep you awake. Can't imagine what's that's like.

Joyce and Barbie you are in my thoughts everyday.

Off to fold some laundry.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

CarolGA, a huge congrats on giving up the evening wine. I need to follow your example and stop with my evening vodka and tonics. I use zero calorie tonic but they don’t make diet vodka. :/

Pip, all I can say is be glad you missed it.

VickiNE, congrats on getting your mom moved and so glad she likes it. Really sorry to hear about your wrist and elbow. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Barbie, Jake is probably in better shape than I was when I had my surgery so I’m sure he will do better. Trust me I understand about the pain. The thing that I found to help the most after my surgery was water aerobics. I did PT for a number of weeks but it did the most good. Sending only the best thoughts for both of you. <3

Katla, so sorry that lion is keeping you awake. Maybe he needs a girlfriend? I hope he will quiet down soon.

Penny, too bad you won’t make the party but what a great story for your friend.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had to read quickly to catch up but I did it. I much prefer to get to read in the morning and again after dinner but my schedule doesn’t always allow. I met with the trainer at the gym this morning in a group of 5 ladies. Two of them were my age or older so I liked that. Unfortunately none of them will be on the same schedule so didn’t find a work out buddy. That’s okay. I learned how to use most of the machines and which ones to stay clear of. I have something scheduled every day this week and need to stay home and get ready for the garage sale. I’ll just have to get in high gear. I’m sending good thoughts and hugs for all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. happy-in-the-sun-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Anne wild geranium would work. If you keep deadheading they keep blooming. They have small purple flowers. Dianthus comes back I do have to sometimes fill in a bit. Sedum blooms in the fall. Right now my ajuga is blooming with blue spikes. Also I would add compost because whatever you plant will compete with the bushes. Hope this helps.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.37min, 13.9amph, 137mhr, 2.9mi = 105c
    ELIPTICAL- 35min, 3276str, 93avstpmin, 149mhr, 5incl, 5resist, 3.64mi = 295c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.14min, 13.4amph, 136mhr, 1.3mi = 71c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.46min, 9.4amph, 159mhr, 2.6mi = 158c
    total cal 629
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    damnit - sweet!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @tryingtolive1 Anne from Wisconsin I am not sure how tall the flowers can be but Lazy Susans and reblooming Day Lilies might be good options. And I second @margaretturk Margaret's suggestion of geranium. Blue Wonder catnip is pretty but can spread. Balloon Flowers might work. Peonies will bloom twice if you cut back the stems and have beautiful glossy foliage but might be too tall...Jack Frost Brunnera blooms for a couple of months but has really pretty foliage the rest of the season... <3

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH got a bit upset with me tonight (but he was already upset with himself) ... tried not to take it personally. Asked me why I did not fill up the hot tub. I did not do a 'damn' thing today. Just did not feel like it. Hot tub will just have to wait; maybe tomorrow when they bring me home early (from BF's house) after going for my weigh-in and to my GP for a 2nd F/U from wreck. I've had a freaking headache most of the day. I cleaned out the hot tub yesterday. It was so nasty from non-use that it took me 2 hours to do it. Wednesday, got to go to town to see about the 2nd altering of my night guard. Such a long way to go for 10 minutes. Watching The Voice - 4 good finalists. I'd hate to have to decide on the winner. Probably my least favorite is the one that plays the guitar more than he sings; but, he is one helluva guitar player. The other 3 are really good, too. I've still got my favorite and hope they win.

Lenora
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Anne wild geranium would work. If you keep deadheading they keep blooming. They have small purple flowers. Dianthus comes back I do have to sometimes fill in a bit. Sedum blooms in the fall. Right now my ajuga is blooming with blue spikes. Also I would add compost because whatever you plant will compete with the bushes. Hope this helps.

:heart: Margaret

Have you gone to gertens, just beautiful things. I bought black petunias, will plant with orange geraniums. Gayle Minneapolis
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    All very beautiful Michele. I do like that sweater, very versatile. Glad they all loved the cakes.

Penny your story about your choirmaster was so moving, I was sitting here crying. Or was I crying watching Nyles dancing on Dancing with the stars?

GOOD NEWS!!!!! Christina is coming Thursday evening and is open to staying until Monday so she may leave early or stay until then. Michelle is off for a 3 day weekend so both my girls will be with us. When she hung up I just sat and thanked God and cried. I am familiar with the cardiac unit and have always liked the nurses and just like when I was working had a larger staff than other units. So I don't know what a surgical unit will be. I am going to have to realize that when I am about to get upset at their care.

I think about all the swelling in my legs is gone. Total was 14 pounds off.

Katla when I think of where you live i see it as this very lovely idyllic place but then you burst my bubble about the constant sea lion barking. We all forget that those lovely places we go as tourists that people live there all the time and have to deal with all that.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Today I was "Driver James" for my dear husband. He barely fits in the back seat with his leg extended in the brace. I took him to the hospital lab for his blood tests, then to the pool so they could see that he is not exercising any time soon. Our quarterly renewal for the pool was due today. We paid but they are not going to have it go into affect until July. Hopefully he will have some improvement then. We rec'd a new brace with a more "open feel" last Friday, but there wasn't any support above and below the knee. After wearing it that afternoon and overnight, my husband had me put the Velcro one back on. We will inform the ortho doc come Friday. He doesn't have any pain, no swelling, so we are doing all the correct things I guess.

Today it was bright blue sky, so of course I was out on my balcony... Got my dose of vitamin D. I fixed steak, and thin potato wedges. For me, I put some wedges in the steak drippings with some more water, and 2 oz of Kelbasa sausage. It was so yummy! Of course anything in steak drippings is yummy. I had marinated the steak in some Caesar dressing, poking it with a fork so the dressing would get in the steak a bit. Then I put some Italian bread crumbs, and lots of cracked pepper on it. I am like a chef!!! I browned it, then sliced it pretty thick while it was really rare. Then I just quickly tossed it in the drippings so the outside was done, but the inside was still medium rare. The steak melted in my mouth when I tasted a piece!

((((hugs)))) to all of you that wish one. One time on a "for sale" site for our local area (on Facebook) I posted 'warm hugs to anyone that needs one'. Most that had posted on the site selling stuff were like, "aw....I shall take one of your hugs". Some however were. "I don't appreciate this, and it makes me uncomfortable". I typed, "Well then pass me by, no worries". This world does need more "tactile" connections. We connect so much technologically, but tactile we as a society shy away from hugging. I listen to my instincts, and read people with respect. Living in a small coastal town helps. I hug my TOPS friends, I hug the gal that runs the pizza place, I hug the gal that runs the library, I hug people at the Senior Luncheon. Sadly in the social media I can't give you all hugs, but if I could I would!

Becca
    Oregon
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I am caught up on the posts!

Lilacs and apple trees ... Beautiful.

CJ and Joyce and Vicki ... Hugs.

Miriam ... Words are so important ... Yours have meant a lot to me ...

Michele ... The dress turned out lovely!

Carol NC ... Your church jobs are certainly interesting...

Carol peach ... Congratulations!

Pip ... Did I read something about the wind again? Your love for Kirby was very clear in your letter ... If the race doesn't acknowledge his commitment, you did!

Becca ... My son acts in a similar way with his dad and I ... School is a lot of stress

So much more I wanted to comment on ... But I've forgotten.

Today I attended a funeral for someone I really didn't know ... During the deceased woman's service the family had a movie running with images from her life. Sadly, with each successive year, her photos showed that she had gotten heavier and heavier over the years. I don't know that obesity was listed as her cause of death, but it certainly exasperated her health conditions. She was 58. A stark reminder why I need to get serious again about my own health.

Thinking of you all...

Beth near Buffalo

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC~Great pics of you! Thanks for sharing them :-)
    Becca
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Gayle my neighbor goes to Gerten's. Their yard is stunning. I get my plants from a variety of vendors. I got a bit plant happy this year. I don't dare go there because I know I will find more to buy. I did buy some things at Bachman's. I like to go early June to Bachman's and get Pentas. They don't carry it until then. It reminds me of fireworks
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

barbie - thanks so much for updating us about Mary. I miss her so much and can't wait until she gets back in here. How did she manage to write you an email? I thought she had to stay away from the computer.

Michele in NC

m0374.gif I had been writing letters to Mary and mailing them to her (I asked for her address and she gave it to me before she signed off from the computer) and one day she sent me a personal MFP message with her e mail address. She said that she has to stay away from strong electrical fields as much as possible. I'll send her another message soon, but don't want to over do with her.

:) You look beautiful in your yellow dress, with or without the white sweater...the cake is great....I'm glad it turned out well for you.

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    Another piece from Mary's email:

"My DH has become a grandfather of identical twin girls! Due to his daughters strange behavior and that of his ex we have not been able to physically go and see them. We were at least sent pictures That we could look at. Victoria weighed 3 lbs. 7 oz. and Haylee weighed 3 lbs. 6 oz. they are red in color because of being premature. Feel free to share with all our friends!"

zpm04aewamzn.jpg
    78et3v2s9k90.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nikion901: I agree with you. There are loved ones that I hold dear who've been gone for quite a while. The love is still there and a part of my life. :heart:

Penny: Your friend is amazing. Give her my best anniversary wishes. :flowerforyou: DH is no sea lion although his snoring occasionally chases me out of the bedroom so I can rest. Our particular sea lion has been tattooed with number 2 for being too aggressive gobbling salmon as they try to make their way up the fish ladder to get around the dam and head to their spawning grounds. They tattooed the bad guys and hauled them back to the Pacific Ocean. We're about 90 miles up river from the coast, so he is heading back to the dam. If he gets caught up there again, he will be euthanized. :devil:

Lisa: Enjoy your city council meeting. :flowerforyou:

Sue: There are things I could do to the sea lion, but I'd probably go to jail. :grumble: My best option is the guest room. I haven't heard him yet today and am keeping my fingers crossed that he's moved on. We will see. :ohwell:

Michele: You look wonderful in yellow! Your dress is so complimentary and you are lovely. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I am lucky to live in a lovely place and regularly thank the Good Lord for it. I haven't thanked him for the Sea Lion, though. :noway:

I wonder whether this will work. These are cute young sea lions and ours is a huge old bull that resembles Jabba the Hut. He makes even more noise than these guys most of the night.

https://youtu.be/3A0l93Bzgbw

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, thanks for the pics. 'Your' sea lion sounds more like the sizeof a walrus!

Barbie, thanks for sharing your letter and pics from Mary. Those babies are so tiny and look so helpless. Prayers to the family, staff and babies as they continue to get bigger. My niece is married to a blind guy. He and his twin were preemies but that was way back in the time when the standard of care for the oxygen was different and it burnt their corneas. He says he has been blind since birth but really it is blind since the time medicine burned his corneas.

Barbie, my daughter Michelle has a lumbar herniated disc repair, can't remember which disc were involved. She was a high schooler so was young and bounced back. Now I had cervical disc repair and from the pain I was having and it was such a quick onset. the pain after surgery was like nothing. I had a sudden pain, got into my doctor pretty quick. Remember those days??? Immediately referred to a surgeon and was on the schedule the next day. I just remember waking up in recovery with none of the original pain.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    Ok – back 4 days with company and 8 arriving in 30 minutes for dinner….. so I’ll read a bit…

Karen – fun dress! And sandals

Pip – what a great letter.

Rosie – great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather – so hard!

Carol – Hugs – That job is a bully, they act awfully; get called out apologize, wait a bit then repeat…

Lisa – love the truck pics

Beth – we missed you..

To page 40….. more later

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Michele - Lovely dress for a spring wedding! You looked great. :flowerforyou: Jessica looks as if she was having so much fun. The cake dec has that modern vibe. My father made and decorated mine, back in the day when it was all trelleses and flowers and shell piping. I might post a pic if I can remember. I don't think I even tasted it!

Kim - I don't know how you do it! <3
    I've gone off doing masses of entertaining. I still enjoy it, but in very small doses. :)

Love Heather UK

PS - Just taken a quick shot of the photo, so it's not very clear. The Cake My Father Made. This is 1970. I was 20. I remember him getting very frustrated with the royal icing in our small kItchen - scraping off the decorations and starting again.

7abtpon1kdrk.jpg

PSS - I made the dress myself from a Nina Ricci pattern. It had pants under a divided skirt.