WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, think of that box with your sons clothes just another gift from him. His clothes were in a big jumble just like he would have left them at home. You still have him, he just has a different set of clothes on. So will your youngest son. He will also send some kind of secret message letting you know he is still there.

Kim, there is all sorts of room for all of your spirits and love there in the waiting room. I am on another forum, yes I am cheating on you. All sorts of other loving women from all over the country just like here. They even have a mascot real mouse that goes all around the world via the Tardis eating all the goodies that have been freshly baked. We even have what we call 'pocket pals' so that the Tardis can take us to whomever is having a need. We hide out in pockets and are with them the whole time. I have frequently just felt my pockets and felt comfort from these wonderful gals.

Lenora, if my husband had wanted to put this surgery off I would have supported him all the way. he has such fears about it but it's really the anesthesia. He made sure he talked to the surgeon when he called us today. But both his gastro guy and the surgeon said that if he got on another oral and IV medicine his ulcerative colitis has done some permanent damage and now that there are masses he needs surgery. So he is going into this with a positive attitude that he is doing all he can to make his life better and can travel and see his grand kids now, go on vacations, attend grandparents day at Ellie's school and all the things we used to do. We just need to be aware of where rest stops are on the interstates!

Joyce, Indiana still wondering where Sylvia is.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :)Lenora, the babies are Mary's husband's grandchildren...it was an excerpt from her last e mail.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones DVD. We have a Newcomer Board meeting tomorrow so the plan is to do a Jillian Michaels Hot Body Healthy Mommy Workout DVD.

Joyce - wasn't Nyles' dance so moving???? I couldn't get over how he had so much expression. How wonderful christina will be with you!

Becca - LOVED that you posted hugs

barbie - the babies are so adorable!

katla - I did think yellow for the dress was a bit more appropriate for may. You know something? We noticed that a lot of people were in black/white combinations so I guess that black dress of mine would have worked.

Heather - on our wedding cake, we had tiers and the tiers were up-side-down champaigne glasses. I still have the glasses to this day. I saw an article in Consumers Reports about how to save money at a wedding. One thing I thought was quite interesting was the fact that on the bottom layer of the cake they had these champaigne glassess filled with "champaigne". I mentioned it to Denise and told her that what I'd do is take my glasses and make a mix of club soda and yellow food color. fill the glasses with that. The club soda will give it the illusion of "bubbles". I told her she can use my glasses. Don't know if she's going to do it or not. I'll send her a copy of CR so she can see exactly what I'm talking about. What a lovely cake your father made! And you were a beautiful bride. when Laura tasted the cake they cut, she turned to Jessica and mouthed "that's good!" you MADE your dress? WOW

Nikion - many times when I have extra food that I really don't want, I donate it to the soup kitchen. Gets it out of my house so it doesn't go to my hips!

Went to Food Lion since they have water on sale and I used my coupons. We'll need the water anyway for the social. Then went to Bi-Lo just to get items on sale, then to WalMart. Vince wanted to get some shorts and I needed a few things that I can't get at Aldi's. We're home right now having lunch then we'll go to Aldi's. My list for there is quite long

Larisa - <singing> You've come a long way baby!

Carol - how wonderful for your son! Now you won't have to take him everywhere or loan him your car

janetr - ROTFLMAO

Beth - I'd never heard of meal enders, but they sound really interesting. Do they contain any artificial sugars? where do you get them?

Becca - when we were up at Jessica's decorating the cake, I had to go to the store to get more shortening for the icing (not that I even like using shortening). Anyway, I came back with baby carrots and some apples. I had to tell Vince that "Jessica doesn't have any fruit or vegetables in her refrigerator". I was craving vegetables! It is truly amazing how our taste buds change. Now I'm saying "I have to go to the store to get vegetables". Vince just says to me "you never used to eat like this. I think you're going vegetarian". No, I'm not vegetarian. I just like my vegetables. Can't think of any one that I don't like. Now I would really rather have shirataki noodles than spaghetti. Really, more because I just like them. What a gorgeous view you have!

Anne - isn't beer can chicken so good and moist? Even the white meat is really moist. (((HUGS)))) to you this weekend.

Lenora - will you have to regularly have a level done for your Lamicatal?

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    18,000 steps
    200 minutes of dog walking
    75 minutes riding the exercise bike

weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 3 X 10 @ 30 lbs
    deadlift 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    overhead press 5X5 @ 30 lbs
    kettle bell swing 3 X 10 @ 20 lbs

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm back from Hawaii, which ended up being a vacation interrupted. I was having a glorious time in Maui, when I got a call that my brother was taken by ambulance to the hospital because he was spitting up blood. We almost lost him. I hustled back to Denver, unpacked, repacked, got cat into boarding (second time this month) and then DH and I raced to Alameda, California. DB pulled through, but is alcoholic and borderline diabetic. Live in girlfriend is not much healthier. I was shocked at seeing how much weight he had gained. He has no insurance, no primary care physician, no network of support as they begin the journey towards what we hope will be a lasting recovery. First AA meeting is tomorrow. Asking for prayers that a miracle happens for them.

I'm back home now, and as soon as I can get through the 400+ posts I've missed, I"ll be back with you all on a more regular basis.

Stay well.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Michele ... You can read about the psychology behind meal Enders on their website: mealenders.com. You can buy them online... I got mine from Amazon, but the websites offers them too. The ingredients are available online also.

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol from NC: Congratulations on your son's new truck! :flowerforyou: I hope you'll remember to be kind toward yourself. You're working hard at so many facets of your life and are really quite a remarkable and admirable woman. (((HUGS)))

Becca: Your river walk trail is wonderful. :bigsmile:

Lenora: I'm so sorry you've been unable to drive because of various health issues. I hope it all gets better as time goes on. :heart:

DJ: We have a gun in the house, but sea lions are federally protected animals. Shooting one would be a very bad idea. :noway: I think of other ways to get rid of them. I haven't figured out how to lure a pod of killer whales to our river but I wish I could. I don't know whether they venture into freshwater. :huh: :bigsmile:

I had my car serviced today. It was a costly service on the regular schedule. VW owes us, and many others, a bunch of money. We haven't seen a penny yet. Once it does come through we plan to spend it fixing up our older Passat.

I am looking forward to Yoga tomorrow. I had to miss my Monday class, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I wonder who will teach. I sure hope they have good skills.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    DJ - ( Janet #1) - wrote "Janetr, good ideas on menopause but a little late for me." Lol me TOO its been so long I can hardly remember. I had a complete hysterectomy at 35 and I was 66 last November. Who can remember that long ago???

I too am VERY worried about Sylvia, sure wish we had a way of checking on her. :(

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rori I will definitely remember your brother in prayer. Addiction is truly devastating.

My oldest grandson, almost 23, has been in and out of drug rehab since he was 16. Last April I went to Galveston to attend his "graduation" after an almost two year stay at yet another rehab. I truly thot this was "the" time, sadly he has fallen back into his addiction, met and is "in love" with a meth addict that is 10 years older than his own Mom and my heart is broken. I've been struggling the last few weeks to let go of the anguish and realize I cannot change it for him. I need to take back control of my own life, mainly binge eating when I'm stressed, as my own life is the only thing I have control over. On the up side, I'm working out more than I have in my entire life, it helps me not think of it all for a time and of course helps keep the calories from the binging manageable.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I haven't been able to watch the finals yet. Charlie and I have been trying to spend as much time together as we can. So we watched last night's 1 hour of Person of interest and then tonight's 2 hours of it. It is so hard for me to follow that show sometimes and they all speak into their blue tooth ear pieces and so we have to turn the volume way up. But 3 hours. My mind was fried when really all I wanted to do was watch DWTS! Luckily I haven't seen any results on any of the news I look at on the computer. I haven't been on face book yet. I hope my eyes will just barely see an article fast enough to not really look at it.

Rori, so sad you had to have your trip cut short and for the reason it was. Praying for your brother.

Janetr, Meth, heroin, alcohol, any of those addictions can just ruin a person's life until they are ready. Luckily my nephew who was an alcoholic has been clean since 1998 and my nephew who was a heroin addict just had his 1 year. Well that was Christmas so I guess it is going on 18 months! Same for food. I guess most of us here at one time were foodaholics. Some have broken that and then there are the other of us, including myself, that have not found that key yet. I had thought last night when Charlie told me that he wanted to go back to the drawing board, if they could have found the right combination of drugs and got him in remission that we could really make an effort to be at the Y, eat so much better and give us a fighting chance to live to see our great grand children being born. I know I say it but so far havn't found the key to doing it and sticking to it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana - its funny you should say that about addiction and food. I have known for years that I'm a a foodaholic. I began a few years ago to realize that I was expecting my grandson to kick his addiction to drugs but I was not at all willing to consider kicking my own addiction to food. So began the long journey of coming to grips with myself and saying I am the only one who can do this for me. During this same time at an appointment with my PCP he asked me if I had ever considered weight loss surgery, I said as a matter of fact I have. I told him that my husband and I had discussed it and he had been in favor of it for some time so I had finally just discussed it with my daughters because I needed those dearest to me to be on board with this decision. Once I decide to do something I'm like a bull dog, so off I went on my mission. I had the surgery within 2 months of my initial information seminar that the bariatric surgeon requires all to patients to attend, almost unheard of to do this so quickly most of his patients took at least six months and some with other health issues as long as two years. I never looked back, I lost 125 lbs in 9 months and would do it again in a heart beat. The surgery, however miraculous the weight loss may be, does not take away the psychological reasons for binge eating, over eating, nor the craving of sweets. I feel better than I have in years and most often the binging and sweets don't overcome me. I hope in a few months that both you and Charlie can look back, as I do on this, and say you are SO GLAD you made this decision. Praying for both of you.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Sending you and Charlie huge hugs for the op. I can't imagine how scared he must be. But you are so right to look on the bright side. <3
    It was me with my 1970s wedding. I made the dress in white crepe from a Paris pattern. I was planning all this wedding and making everything while I was taking my final exams at university. I was on honeymoon instead of going to graduation. That was by design. We went camping in France. I set off in a big picture hat with cabbage roses and a pink and white frilly mini dress!!!!
    The silver necklace I was wearing was an Indian one I bought in Oxford Street, London. I've always loved Indian things. I also bought an LP of Sikh shrine music, which I played a lot until it was stolen with all my other records.

Love Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,349 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had forgotten how active you lot were! :smiley: Skimming over the previous pages.

Love the old car photos! So atmospheric!
    The amaryllis are stunning. I have a bowl with three bulbs similar to these in my den. The second bulb is flowering at the moment.

I had a look at that 5 wishes document. It's definitely food for thought.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:sunglasses: Never give up! Never give in! :sunglasses:

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,349 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ✔️

Just saw your post on JFT. :smiley:
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Okey-dokey, showered, coffeed, and off to get a paper built. Hope it's a good day for all...

Love y'all! Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Michele - I used to make every stitch I had on. From the age of about 13. That includes coats, suits, evening dress etc. I also used to knit. Now I haven't even got a sewing machine.

Sorry for all the women on here who are seeing the results of addictions in their relatives. :'(<3 My DSIL 's (who is coming on Friday ) father was an alcoholic and his death was protracted and horrible for all concerned. She went into a deep depression for about 18 months. :flowerforyou:

I'm dropping DH off at cricket today so I can have the car for shopping. :D I seem to have a long list. :*

Got to go next door tonight so we can talk to the young girl who is going to water our pots. We will have to ask her father what he thinks is suitable renumeration. They are on holiday next week.

Lots of love, Heather UK

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,794 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept like a rock, and boy did I need it, I am finally home. Sean and Jean got back yesterday afternoon..
    Rori~ I pray daily for my brother, he did 90 days at a rehab in Florida, one of the highest rated in the country with a 90% success rate..but very expensive.... lucky for him, Jean and momma(Faith)helped pay for it.. and Bless his heart he will be coming up on 6 months of sobriety next month.. he gets to his AA meetings, has joined the gym and even with all the frustration of trying to open the cottage and get water working, he didn't pick up a drink... so very very proud of him..
    I have been thinking about Sylvia and hope she is ok, and just busy with her shop and the grandkids.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY PIP~ Love you lots xoxoxox
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. I too am off to have the neighbor take good care of my garden and mail this weekend as we are off on a fun long weekend. Looking forward to a fun break in DC. LOTS OF WALKING!!

Heard DD's last symphony concert and it ended on such a high note. Just fantastic I was so happy for her and the other seniors who all wore corsages and got to speak 6 words about orchestra (there were 35 seniors) so I am glad director started that tradition! Just wonderful to get another chance to tear up a little. good practice for me to celebrate, talk with people etc. all prepping me for her graduation party. Strength to all who need it. Karen from NY